Foster parent speaks out about DHS la...

Foster parent speaks out about DHS lawsuit

There are 46 comments on the News 9 Oklahoma City story from Feb 13, 2008, titled Foster parent speaks out about DHS lawsuit. In it, News 9 Oklahoma City reports that:

A foster parent is speaking out about the lawsuit on the Department of Human Services.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News 9 Oklahoma City.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Foster parent speaks out

United States

#1 Feb 14, 2008
My husband and I were kinship foster parents for our granddaughter and we are becoming regular foster parents in Canadian County. Our children are grown and have moved on. Our granddaughter is back with her parents. They have been drug free for 2 years and are doing very well in Utah. One of the hardest things was turning are backs on our son, making him and his girlfriend do the right things and raising our granddaughter for 2 years but now everything is going great in Utah for them. But we still keep a close eye on them.
The DHS system is very hard to work with. I sometimes believe that the needs of the child are not the most important problem to the case workers.
We hear so many stories about the bad foster families the negative side. There are good families and there needs to be more. Foster care is not about the money it’s about the child and when it’s hard to work with DHS it is flustering.
You wait weeks for a call back and most times never receive one. Most times I feel the case workers just don’t care about the welfare of the child. I know the workers have a lot of cases but the lack or support and lack of efficiency is very hard to work with.
My husband and I are in our mid 40’s and we know we can make a difference for a child or 2 but its hard and challenging mostly working with DHS.
In Oklahoma there are as many as 8,000 children in foster care at one given time. And some will return to their parents but then about 60% or more will return back to foster care. We as a state most do better for our children.
Kathie Briggs

AOL

#2 Feb 15, 2008
I am happy this child was able to be successfully reunited with her parents. Sometimes family members need to step up and help while parents change their priorities.

To often the ending to a story is tragic. The state of Oklahoma leads the nation in child abuse and neglect deaths. Our granddaughter, Kelsey Briggs, was among one of the children that was failed by the state. I am so grateful for this lawsuit that could help so many children still living in fear. It will also make work easier for DHS employees and foster homes. This is a win, win situation for our state. We need more accountability.

Our group will be hosting a kickoff rally at the Capitol on Feb. 21st at 1:00pm on the first floor. Our goal is to bring more awareness to this growing epidemic. We have to be the voice for the children. Please join us on www.kelseyspurpose.org and lets make a difference one child at a time.
Pattsi

United States

#3 Feb 15, 2008
As a former fosterparent I understand the struggles of fosterparenting. This lawsuit will make things better for fosterparents also. Now is the time for fosterparents to stand up and make their voices heard. I want to thank Mr. Shearer for standing up and being that voice.
harvey phillips

Oklahoma City, OK

#4 Feb 15, 2008
my rights was taken away because i was on the road driving across country and missed my court date that i wasn't aware of. My job title is a CDL class A truck driver. Because of the missed court date,I have no rights until they are adults. I have paid $25,000 in child support,I have also spent$5,000 in lawyer fees. my opinion the court system needs to go to a higher court to determine the rights. the child support is not going towards the kids.
Anonymous

Edmond, OK

#5 Mar 2, 2008
I cannot reveal my name or the specifics as my wife and I continue to fight with DHS to get temporary kinship foster care of our grandchildren. We have been lied to, spoken down to, threatened, and then ignored. We have been thoroughly investigated, spent a substantial amount of money to meet all of the guidelines, and still are denied temporary kinship foster care of our grandchildren.

DHS is broken severely. Many of the people that work there are condescending, pompous asses who use that attitude in an attempt to cover their lack of intelligence and wisdom.

Despite, this, we have not been intimidated to cower down and go away like DHS does to many other people. In this case, they have screwed with the wrong people. I don't like bullies and I always do everything that I can to take them down. Maybe my little part joined with other efforts can flush the DHS sewer of the rats who have infetsed it.

A year ago, I would not have imagined this. A year ago, I would not have believed someone who would tell me the story we are now living.
hopeless

Owasso, OK

#6 Mar 9, 2008
We have 3 beautiful girls for 3 years now. The youngest was only 3mo when she came into our lives. We have went to every court date that we were made aware of. Our last caseworker retired and we have a new one that doesnt seem like she cares for us. Court was lied to from this caseworker. WE are very very angry with DHS. The mother right were termed over a year ago and we were one court date from terminating the fathers right when , oops sorry we already started the adoption process with you and your husband but we forgot to put one of the girls name on the paper so we have to refile.. CRAP!!!! Well needless to say the father found him a new girlfried and now he wants to be a father. We have about month before we nolonger get to see them again.. My husband and I are heart broken. They are our life. I dont understand how they (DHS) expect you to take these children in your home , make them feel like they are not just "foster kids" they are family and just okay see ya later , bye.... I just hope and pray that my husband and I are strong enough to deal with all this. we have talked to a lawyer and pretty much we were told your fight a losing battle with DHS.
mom of many

Stroud, OK

#7 Apr 4, 2008
Welcome to the horrific world of dhs.
we are foster parents and have been for 5+ years. We too had a child in our home for 2 years he was not reunified with either parent but he went to live with grandparents, grandma being the primary caregiver, who takes numerous medications a day including but not limited to lortab, cymbalta, dexedrine, enbrel, etc. with xanax occassionally. Look those up on the internet and ask yourself if you would want this lady watching and raising your child or grandchildren. She also self reported bouts with fits and rages, bi-polar, borderline personality disorder, legally total disabled, rhemotoid arthiritis (that she has said is crippling her). Gee I am sure I missed something. No one will listen. Here is a child we could save but who cares.
My heart breaks for you and your family as we too live the nightmare. Guess, the best interests of the child isn't so important.
Oh, did I forget to say this family has a history with child welfare and this is a second marriage for the grandparents they have no children together, but respectively both of their children (grandpa has 2, grandma has 1 from previous relationships) none of them have custody of their children. So to heck with this grandkid lets let them screw him up toooooo.
hopeless

Tulsa, OK

#8 Apr 24, 2008
Update ... The girls went back with their father for a total of 15 days and ended up back in the system.. Hummm... We are sad they had to go through all this for just 15days
No faith in the system

Owasso, OK

#9 Nov 2, 2008
I have no faith in DHS. I reported to DHS that my neice was being molested by my sisters boyfried. They called me and spoke with me for about 10 mins and said they would investigate the matter. They went to my neices school and gave her a sheet of paper to give to my sister. THAT"S WAS IT! Later they told my sister to not have him in the home anymore. No one ever came to see if he was there, no one ever came by to check on the welfare of my neices. A year later my 13year old neice gave birth to her child and had a home nurse come to the home and she spotted the molester there, she called in on him and then my neices were removed from the home.Why did it take so long for something to be done? DHS operate on there on rules and answer to no one.
Thasts part of the problem. There is not an agency to over see its management. It will only get worse before it get better!
susan

Longmont, CO

#10 Nov 18, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
I cannot reveal my name or the specifics as my wife and I continue to fight with DHS to get temporary kinship foster care of our grandchildren. We have been lied to, spoken down to, threatened, and then ignored. We have been thoroughly investigated, spent a substantial amount of money to meet all of the guidelines, and still are denied temporary kinship foster care of our grandchildren.
DHS is broken severely. Many of the people that work there are condescending, pompous asses who use that attitude in an attempt to cover their lack of intelligence and wisdom.
Despite, this, we have not been intimidated to cower down and go away like DHS does to many other people. In this case, they have screwed with the wrong people. I don't like bullies and I always do everything that I can to take them down. Maybe my little part joined with other efforts can flush the DHS sewer of the rats who have infetsed it.
A year ago, I would not have imagined this. A year ago, I would not have believed someone who would tell me the story we are now living.
I am a grandmother in colorado who is going through something similar situation with dhs. They try to discourage me with the comments they make. But just like you they are messing with the wrong person.
Sandi

Oklahoma City, OK

#11 Mar 14, 2009
2 shay-dhs workers are very under qualified, at times making decisions that only a licensed psychologist should make. No return phone calls, when you do have to go over someones head to get something done, oops, now you made them mad. I have missed 3 years with 2 very special girls, something needs to be done.
W Moore

Coweta, OK

#12 Mar 17, 2009
Sandi wrote:
2 shay-dhs workers are very under qualified, at times making decisions that only a licensed psychologist should make. No return phone calls, when you do have to go over someones head to get something done, oops, now you made them mad. I have missed 3 years with 2 very special girls, something needs to be done.
See sq745.org
Denise

Oklahoma City, OK

#13 Jul 2, 2009
No faith in the system wrote:
I have no faith in DHS. I reported to DHS that my neice was being molested by my sisters boyfried. They called me and spoke with me for about 10 mins and said they would investigate the matter. They went to my neices school and gave her a sheet of paper to give to my sister. THAT"S WAS IT! Later they told my sister to not have him in the home anymore. No one ever came to see if he was there, no one ever came by to check on the welfare of my neices. A year later my 13year old neice gave birth to her child and had a home nurse come to the home and she spotted the molester there, she called in on him and then my neices were removed from the home.Why did it take so long for something to be done? DHS operate on there on rules and answer to no one.
Thasts part of the problem. There is not an agency to over see its management. It will only get worse before it get better!
I understand your problems. I hope you did eventually get your grandchildren. My sister and her husband have been trying for 1 1/2 years to get their grandchildren. My sister lives in OHIO and the kids are in foster care in OK. They have jumped through every hoop DHS has come up with and then she found out yesterday that DHS doubts they will ever get the children because they say they need Doctors and Pharmacies in Ohio who will accept Sooner Care. That is only one thing on a long list of excuses DHS has come up with. This is just the newest one. I worked for DHR in Georgia for 5 years and never saw the incompetence in Georgia that I have seen with DHS in Oklahoma. I am going to send a letter to Governor Henry and tell him everything that has gone on. I don't think if it was his grandchildren in foster care, it would drag on like this has done. I just saw your post and needed to vent a little. Good luck with the kids. Children need more people willing to fight for their rights.

Since: Jun 09

Pampa, TX

#14 Jul 3, 2009
Once DHS Oklahoma has their hooks in you it is total despair. You don't need to be guilty of anything but if someone turns you in for any reason it doesn't matter. Our problem was not with a child but my mother-in-law. Her children went to the Medicaid office only to see what the qualifications were to receive help in a rest home. They were told twice that we were making no application, just curious. Almost everyone in rest homes now are paid for by Medicare and we didn't know how. Mom had lotsa bucks and ended up spending most of it for rest home sortacare.
It is a long story how we reached this point but when the Medicaid lady said we were probably wanting Mom's money, which we didn't, all hell broke loose. First they demanded we all show up for a hearing where we couldn't talk. They lied to the judge over and over. The judge gave them custody of her and her bank account. They cancelled her health insurance, paid no rest home fees, made us get a lawyer,$4,000.00, paid no pharmacy bill, but the money disappeared. Gave her Social security to the rest home. We were not allowed to visit her. Three weeks under their care she almost died, hospital bill $14,300.
No one ever went to see her at the rest home. It was because she was dehydrated. We put 7,000 miles on our vehicles to make court hearings and see her thinking she was almost dead. She lived.
Not one single time would they answer a phone call or letter. They threatened to take our home and anything else they could get their hands on.
We had proof that for the past 7 years she was living with us free except for drugs which was very little. Her rest home fee she did pay until she died. The lawyer said to never ever write to your congressman because those people will ruin you and hound you til you die.
When you take in an elderly person you must account for every penny (yes, penny) of their money and have those records available upon request. We did but it still cost us and drove her kids nuts, especially with all the excellent care given her. I took the ball for them because I don't take crap like that. Of course we won but it doesn't feel like it. Our social worker was transferred from aged care to child care.

Pampa, TX

#15 Jul 3, 2009
Folks, since our experience I discovered that there is an organization that helps people being attacked by DHS. I don't have their web address but I betcha you could google them down with a little effort. I am pretty sure they help with child and elderly problems. Their claim is that DHS has no right to treat us the way they do and won't if you will contact them. I heard about this on a Christian Radio program called Point of View in Dallas. FYI
red oak girl

United States

#16 Jul 4, 2009
Is all this DHS things happening in wilburton? it sounds like DHS wilburton office. they too don't care about anyone accept themselves they didn;t even try to help me with my own grandchildren they judge to fast on one person and they do not look into the case good enough and they do not call anyone back for nothing. how are we to know what going on with our grandchildren? I mean I will never trust DHS anymore and I would advice anyone who does to really watch out.

Pampa, TX

#17 Jul 17, 2009
A couple of posts back I was telling about an organization who helps people with their problems with DHS (Department of Human Services).

I got lucky and found the information or how you can find out if they can help you.

I don't want to confuse you but I heard about this on a late night radio program who has a web site called seniorclassonline.com , hosted by Rusty McMurray. He was talking to Craig Riffel, at PO Box 5557, Enid, Ok 73702, Phone: 1-800-407-9302. The broadcast kept fading in and out but I called and confirmed the address. Exactly what they do, fees, types of cases they handle, etc I can not swear to but if not they could probably help direct you to someone who could. I just wish I had known about them when I was having so much trouble.
I understand that they have 7 offices in Oklahoma.
They said that the director of DHS thinks it is funny watching people suffer. Says they are helping victims sue the DHS.
I hope this will help some of you. Would like to know what you found out. Good Luck.
Save my kids

Carmine, TX

#18 Feb 6, 2010
My children were taken from me and the dhs worker has made false accusations in court. I did everything they asked and they took my kids and gave them to my ex-husband. After he got his 3rd dui(two days after they gave him the kids) they moved my kids to a foster home where the woman call them bad kids and made fun uf my 10 year old son for studdering and she had some kind of a statue of her dead husband that she takled to every morning and had knives in my sons room that scared him. The kids were then moved again and put into a youth shelter.
Dhs claims they took my kids because of exposure to substance abuse because I got a DUI when the kids were with their father in another town. Can anyone help me fight the system and get my kids back???? They don't know why they cant come home and neither do I...the dhs is corrupt

Erick, OK

#19 Feb 7, 2010
SAVE MY KIDS....Call Craig Riffel at:
1-800-407-9302
or write to him at : PO Box 5557, Enid, OK 73702

I told you about him just prior to your post but it didn't sound as if you had tried yet.

Do it !
Mother of Three Angels

Oklahoma City, OK

#20 Apr 5, 2010
To the grandparents that helped with the grandchildren:

Thank you for taking the children into your home, and doing harsh love to your children, this opened their eyes to the gifts they was truly missing out on. And now they have those gifts and love those children like they should be loved. Thanks to you.

To the Foster parents:

My heart goes out to you. I am a mother of three as you can tell by my name. My children are in foster care, my case is alot different then most, my case is a reunifcation case. My children have been out of our home for alittle over three months. And have been moved three different times.
The foster mothers keep in contact with me all the time about the children.

I found out on Easter that if we do not get our children back in may (like the caseworker keeps telling everyone is going to happen) that all three girls will have to be moved yet again. No my girls are not together. My two youngest is in one home, my oldest in the other home.
My oldest is having alot of problems because she is the only white child there. My two youngest are having problems because their oldest sister isn't there.
I wish my children was in very good foster homes, even for the short stay that is happening. I am not going into detail of what goes on in the homes.
Mainly because of me finding this topic has shown me what wonderful Foster parents are out there.
And I thank you all so much for that. Even though the worry for my children is still there, at least I know there are some very good people in Oklahoma.

BTW I am not from Oklahoma, my family moved here in August 2009. That you you understand my last sentence

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Hartford Man Shares Story of Rescue from Ar... 12 hr Empty the White H... 4
News Children who skip breakfast 'may be doing thems... 13 hr a_visitor 3
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 16 hr TimeToAct 32,013
News Why do 31% of Marion children live in poverty? 22 hr mark2732 1
News Why are people still racist? What science says ... Thu fingers mcgurke 29
News Senator Gillibrand pushes legislation to limit ... Thu Yaba Gaba Doo 1
News Should undocumented immigrants brought to the U... Wed spytheweb 2
More from around the web