Can Spanish survive in the USA?

Can Spanish survive in the USA?

There are 91 comments on the Journal and Courier story from Sep 21, 2013, titled Can Spanish survive in the USA?. In it, Journal and Courier reports that:

For Susana Rivera-Mills, it was moving in 1982 from El Salvador to San Francisco at the vulnerable age of 12-and not knowing how to speak a word of English.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Journal and Courier.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Armando

Tampa, FL

#2 Sep 21, 2013
b4its2late wrote:
The education system was different then, and Rivera-Mills was actually classified as a special-needs student. She was held back a year in school. Decades later, the bilingual and successful college professor still has traumatic memories of being rejected by her peers on a daily basis.
SO WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? You were in a country that spoke another language. It is NOT up to ANY other country TO ADOPT AND SPEAK EVERY OTHER LANGUAGE, so people from any other country will feel all warm and fuzzy...snap out of it!
Rivera-Mills has high hopes that her son will speak Spanish fluently again; WHY? Do you want to BE AN AMERICAN or just live hear and then "GO BACK HOME"
While an overwhelming majority of Latinos agree that passing on the Spanish language to future generations is critical, AGAIN WHY? CRITICAL REALLY? ONLY spanish people seem to think this is CRITICAL. I dont speak a work of Italian or German, my ancestors WANTED TO BE AMERICAN AND KNEW THE IMPORTANCE OF ENGLISH. Italian and German WERE NO LONGER NEEDED!!!!! I AM DOING JUST FINE AND HAVE NO NEED FOR EITHER!
LIFE IS FULL OF TRAUMA AND STRESS.
If I would decide to move to Japan, I would learn Japanese FIRST, or I WOULDNT GO. Its NOT up them to cater to me.
For me you can go to hell ...you dont need to learn nothing to go there
Si Se Puede

Yonkers, NY

#3 Sep 21, 2013
Armando wrote:
<quoted text> For me you can go to hell ...you dont need to learn nothing to go there
Thank you!!
Brenda besson

United States

#4 Sep 21, 2013
Well when they cant speak english and dont want to learn,they look at the american and say habla espanol ?just say no even if you do speak spanish.learn or continue to not understand.lol stupids.
Armando

Tampa, FL

#7 Sep 21, 2013
Brenda besson wrote:
Well when they cant speak english and dont want to learn,they look at the american and say habla espanol ?just say no even if you do speak spanish.learn or continue to not understand.lol stupids.
Your answer does speaks a lot of you as a person Brenda, thats a good example of the human stupidity, if you really believe that never going to need from somebody you are wrong...even if is a illegal you are supposed to help
Brenda besson

United States

#8 Sep 21, 2013
b4its2late wrote:
<quoted text>I never press 1 for English... I just wont do it. It always defaults to ENGLISH.
good for you I agree english first

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#9 Sep 21, 2013
Armando wrote:
<quoted text> For me you can go to hell ...you dont need to learn nothing to go there
Armando, it's obvious that English isn't your first language. Your grammar is weak. Does your computer not have a grammar check feature? The word is 'anything' not 'nothing'.

My mother immigrated to the US from Mexico, and we spoke both English and Spanish growing up, primarily English, unless family was visiting and they didn't speak English. I am completely comfortable in either language. For my father, English was his native language, but he also spoke Spanish when necessary.

This country navigates in English, and it's fairly obvious that's not going to change. The simple fact is that many illegal aliens are illiterate, and don't speak, read, or write Spanish at a level equivalent to their educated fellow citizens.

What precisely do you propose as the solution? dumb down society as a whole to accommodate their needs?
Brenda besson

United States

#10 Sep 21, 2013
Armando wrote:
<quoted text> Your answer does speaks a lot of you as a person Brenda, thats a good example of the human stupidity, if you really believe that never going to need from somebody you are wrong...even if is a illegal you are supposed to help
well im sorry,but I dont like everyone coming over illegaly and expecting us to have open arms and speak spanish on top of it ,so I just say I dont unferstand,just like they didnt know they were not suppose to cross the border,ok armondo
Brenda besson

United States

#11 Sep 21, 2013
b4its2late wrote:
The education system was different then, and Rivera-Mills was actually classified as a special-needs student. She was held back a year in school. Decades later, the bilingual and successful college professor still has traumatic memories of being rejected by her peers on a daily basis.
SO WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? You were in a country that spoke another language. It is NOT up to ANY other country TO ADOPT AND SPEAK EVERY OTHER LANGUAGE, so people from any other country will feel all warm and fuzzy...snap out of it!
Rivera-Mills has high hopes that her son will speak Spanish fluently again; WHY? Do you want to BE AN AMERICAN or just live hear and then "GO BACK HOME"
While an overwhelming majority of Latinos agree that passing on the Spanish language to future generations is critical, AGAIN WHY? CRITICAL REALLY? ONLY spanish people seem to think this is CRITICAL. I dont speak a work of Italian or German, my ancestors WANTED TO BE AMERICAN AND KNEW THE IMPORTANCE OF ENGLISH. Italian and German WERE NO LONGER NEEDED!!!!! I AM DOING JUST FINE AND HAVE NO NEED FOR EITHER!
LIFE IS FULL OF TRAUMA AND STRESS.
If I would decide to move to Japan, I would learn Japanese FIRST, or I WOULDNT GO. Its NOT up them to cater to me.
I think its good to speak other languages,but when you are young you learn them without even knowing you are learning,childs mind is like a sponge.but you must always speak english first.if you live or want to live here.otherwise people do not respect you.my father a legal immigrant.speakes 7 different languages.learned when young.but when he came he only spoke english he was proud to be american.said he would never go back to his country.he said now im amdrican,no one feels like that anymore thats the problem.we make it easy they can get d/l test in any language thats why no one can drive.they dont know what american traffic signs say lol
ima-Ilis Myka Ashanti

El Paso, TX

#12 Sep 21, 2013
b4its2late wrote:
<quoted text>People can speak any language they choose. BUT, they damn well better know English.
I've got a short story to tell.... I was at Barnes & Noble a couple of months ago and I was checking out some gardening books. I noticed a young couple with a beautiful baby girl about 3-4 yrs old. I love children and have worked with kids and their moms (voluntary) anyway I saw the little girl and said "hi precious, aren't adorable? and the mom kind've rudely said " ella no le gusta el engles, habla espanol? I thought to myself, the kid will learn what ever you teach her you arrogant mexican. So anyway I pretended I didn't understand her and kept talking to the child in English and she was smiling and giggling with me....then the dad told her "say hi, to the nice lady" and the baby said "hi, I'm Pearlita" So it wasn't so much the child, it was the arrogant mom. I would never have imagined that their choice in communicating would be spanish but oh well I did not speak to them in spanish and I could have but like the mom, I chose not to! LOL! the daddy was not arrogant as she was. Oh well, got a kick out of this.
ima-Ilis Myka Ashanti

El Paso, TX

#13 Sep 21, 2013
meant aren't you

Location hidden

#14 Sep 21, 2013
ima-Ilis Myka Ashanti wrote:
<quoted text> I've got a short story to tell.... I was at Barnes & Noble a couple of months ago and I was checking out some gardening books. I noticed a young couple with a beautiful baby girl about 3-4 yrs old. I love children and have worked with kids and their moms (voluntary) anyway I saw the little girl and said "hi precious, aren't adorable? and the mom kind've rudely said " ella no le gusta el engles, habla espanol? I thought to myself, the kid will learn what ever you teach her you arrogant mexican. So anyway I pretended I didn't understand her and kept talking to the child in English and she was smiling and giggling with me....then the dad told her "say hi, to the nice lady" and the baby said "hi, I'm Pearlita" So it wasn't so much the child, it was the arrogant mom. I would never have imagined that their choice in communicating would be spanish but oh well I did not speak to them in spanish and I could have but like the mom, I chose not to! LOL! the daddy was not arrogant as she was. Oh well, got a kick out of this.
That's one of the reasons I left El Paso, the "Mexicanization" of the city. Once can go days without hearing a word of English, and that's not a positive development. The economy suffers as a result, and the rest of Texas (I live in Houston) doesn't consider El Paso to be a part of the state, it's the orphan stepchild.
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#15 Sep 21, 2013
b4its2late wrote:
<quoted text>I never press 1 for English... I just wont do it. It always defaults to ENGLISH.
That seems like it would take a lot longer. If you are in a hurry the trick is to press 2 for Spanish. Then you tell them you pushed the wrong button by mistake and they take care of you right away. It is better then waiting in the queue.
Brenda besson

United States

#16 Sep 21, 2013
<quoted text> I've got a short story to tell.... I was at Barnes & Noble a couple of months ago and I was checking out some gardening books. I noticed a young couple with a beautiful baby girl about 3-4 yrs old. I love children and have worked with kids and their moms (voluntary) anyway I saw the little girl and said "hi precious, aren't adorable? and the mom kind've rudely said " ella no le gusta el engles, habla espanol? I thought to myself, the kid will learn what ever you teach her you arrogant mexican. So anyway I pretended I didn't understand her and kept talking to the child in English and she was smiling and giggling with me....then the dad told her "say hi, to the nice lady" and the baby said "hi, I'm Pearlita" So it wasn't so much the child, it was the arrogant mom. I would never have imagined that their choice in communicating would be spanish but oh well I did not speak to them in spanish and I could have but like the mom, I chose not to! LOL! the daddy was not arrogant as she was. Oh well, got a kick out of this.
good story

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#17 Sep 21, 2013
if they want to speak spanish, go to a spanish speaking country.
Armando

Tampa, FL

#18 Sep 21, 2013
OneRepublic wrote:
<quoted text>
Armando, it's obvious that English isn't your first language. Your grammar is weak. Does your computer not have a grammar check feature? The word is 'anything' not 'nothing'.
My mother immigrated to the US from Mexico, and we spoke both English and Spanish growing up, primarily English, unless family was visiting and they didn't speak English. I am completely comfortable in either language. For my father, English was his native language, but he also spoke Spanish when necessary.
This country navigates in English, and it's fairly obvious that's not going to change. The simple fact is that many illegal aliens are illiterate, and don't speak, read, or write Spanish at a level equivalent to their educated fellow citizens.
What precisely do you propose as the solution? dumb down society as a whole to accommodate their needs?
Hello one republic.I thank you for your observations to my weak english I know its bad Lol. Well my friend if no speak good english means Im a iilliterate in this country I am, I can aceppt that. The main question was if one spanish can live in Usa or something like that. You know the answer is YES and very good, in some cases muchbetter then the people that writes here. I know perfectly that a lot hispanics come to the united states from the woods in Mexico or another countries, poor countries but no everybody. The problem in some americans is that they hate too much because they are misinformed by another haters. I think you are just a little more lucky then a lot of inmigrants in this country, maybe more luckythen your own parents but just because you can speak english and spanish very well makes you better then me theres a lot of more important things that makes somebody to be somebody. Im not speak or write english like you but I have my own talents and you could here about me in a short period of time, I only have to work a little bit more in my proyects. And Im not mad of you or something like that, Im just trying to give you my point of view and show you that not every hispanic that you see in your way to the big enterprise where you work or in your way to Harvard is an illiterate...
OMG

Chula Vista, CA

#19 Sep 21, 2013
In my opinion, it is the Mexican women that are holding back their culture. Many of them are racist, insecure, gossipy and desperate to hold onto the 'old ways' for fear of no longer being the 'apple of their men's eyes' as their sphere of understanding increases. So goes life.

“Club Fed or Camp Cupcake?”

White-Collar Minimum-Security

#20 Sep 22, 2013
The Future of Spanish in the United States
http://www.languagepolicy.net/archives/Castro...
The fate of immigrant languages has been to flower, then fade. Will that be the story of Spanish in the next century? Many experts believe it already is happening. They say immigration merely prolongs the inevitable. Since large-scale Latin American immigration will not continue forever, they contend, Spanish in the United States will eventually decline. Only major changes in language attitudes and policies will prevent this. They point out that a script similar to that followed by previous immigrants is being played out as U.S.-born Hispanics, for whom English is almost always the language of choice, seldom pass on Spanish to their offspring.
leonardo

United States

#21 Sep 22, 2013
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
In my opinion, it is the Mexican women that are holding back their culture. Many of them are racist, insecure, gossipy and desperate to hold onto the 'old ways' for fear of no longer being the 'apple of their men's eyes' as their sphere of understanding increases. So goes life.
why are they crying who is speaking navajo
wiel

Stafford, VA

#22 Sep 22, 2013
Brenda besson try to discriminate. By the language to immigrants but she must know. When British people hear usa English they discriminate you they say you English. Is ghetto English ,but dont worry samething spaniards. Say about hispanic ,baby dont cry ,notice i don speak English
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#23 Sep 22, 2013
wiel wrote:
Brenda besson try to discriminate. By the language to immigrants but she must know. When British people hear usa English they discriminate you they say you English. Is ghetto English ,but dont worry samething spaniards. Say about hispanic ,baby dont cry ,notice i don speak English
Can somebody translate this into English?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Undocumented Mom Of 3 U.S. Citizen Kids Deporte... 3 hr Quirky 105
News Perryville couple arrested for alleged identify... 10 hr Keith Tarillion 18
News Sex in the family bed: Does it happen? (Jul '11) 20 hr J Sweetbody Good... 113
News Safe - surfing' by children and youths is the g... Sat u can learn a lot 1
News Mark Davis: Do you have the right not to vaccin... Sat VACCINE CAUSED 2
News Transgender Youth More Likely to Have Autism Sat VACCINE CAUSED 1
News Vallejo says yes to kids Sat tenders 4
More from around the web