Memoir of Malone diners

Memoir of Malone diners

There are 133 comments on the www.cheboygannews.com story from Sep 12, 2008, titled Memoir of Malone diners. In it, www.cheboygannews.com reports that:

A Cheboygan, Michigan freelance writer reminisces about diners in Malone, as a child growing up here.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cheboygannews.com.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Mattman

Baldwinsville, NY

#1 Sep 12, 2008
what a great article!! you can almost imagine what it was like. I wish we had a place like that now.
Mike McC

Exton, PA

#2 Sep 12, 2008
I lived in Malone from 1942 to 1961 and there were three diners that I can remember: The Franklin Diner at Harrison Place, The Malone Diner near the Park (where the police station is today) and Winnies Diner, down in the flat.....
Never heard of Charlie Armstrong's Diner.
Anybody know where it was???
North Country

Tully, NY

#3 Sep 12, 2008
I lived in Malone from about 1950 to 1971 and remember the 3 you mentioned. We used to go to the Malone Diner a lot, especially after a movie at the Schine's but I don't remember a Charlie Armstrong's Diner unless that is what some people called Winnie's.

Since: Jul 08

Malone

#4 Sep 12, 2008
What about helen's diner, just on the southeast side of the main street bridge-famous for 3:30AM home fries and orange juice.
Mike McC

Exton, PA

#5 Sep 13, 2008
Lives in Malone wrote:
What about helen's diner, just on the southeast side of the main street bridge-famous for 3:30AM home fries and orange juice.
There is an east and west side of the bridge, so I'm not sure what side you're talking about, but I seem to remember a Helen's Diner. Not sure it was there when I was though.
Mike McC

Exton, PA

#6 Sep 13, 2008
Lives in Malone wrote:
Sorry, I misread your post. Now I know where you mean...It wasn't there until after I left I think.
Depot Rat

United States

#7 Sep 13, 2008
Does anyone remember the trolley car that sat on the hill between Duane St. and Academy St. Joe Volice ran it. The rest of my recollection is as follows. A diner on Pearl St., just past the old firedept. The Malone diner run by the Monaghan Family, most all should remember big Tom. Believe he just recently died. Ted & Helens which first was on Harrison Pl. and then later just past west of the Bridge. Also there was the trolley car on corner of Harrison and Main, that was run by Speed Quior. He was a super human being, fun and honest to be around. He ran the lunch cart at Tru-Stitch. The Bee-Hive on Mill street was run for a short by Theresa Brockwy. That too was a fun spot. Also the Batchelder family ran a diner at the bottom of Academy St. hill.Ted & Helens was very reasonable at the tim, used to get a healthycold roast beef sandwich with coffee and pie for less than a dollar. There also was the Pop Corn shop where we hung out as young kids. There is another one that was up on West Main across from Cout House. That was also a busstop for Gryhaound a believe. Can't reall its name. Boy I have really tested my long teerm memory and it was fun. Do hope more will display thier memories to us.
local born

Latham, NY

#8 Sep 13, 2008
Don't forget the dining in the Franklin Hotel, Newberrys, Woolworth and the bowling ally on Pearl St over newberrys.
Depot Rat

United States

#9 Sep 13, 2008
local born wrote:
Don't forget the dining in the Franklin Hotel, Newberrys, Woolworth and the bowling ally on Pearl St over newberrys.
Jerry Thomas, owner and operator of The Pearl Street Lanes made the very best Bananna Split.And if I remember right it cost 45 cents. Does anyone remember Rachel at the Popcorn shop. If anyone will own up to it there was a lot more going on there than eating.
Harry Labia

United States

#10 Sep 13, 2008
Do tell.

Sounds interesting.

Malone

#11 Sep 13, 2008
Depot, I was a regular at Rachel's. Paid many a "quartaire" for a 6 oz pepsi. Won't deny there occasionally was a half pint of something smuggled in (southern comfort was a favorite) to strengthen the pepsi, but there was nothing else going on there that I was ever aware of. Actually, eating was a rarity. We all just paid a quarter to gather and plan for later. Do know a good many Meacham Lake beach parties started there. My God, how incredibly stupid and lucky we were.

I also remember, must have been '67-'68, a real cheap burger joint on the south side of the Main St., can't remember if it was on the east or west end. I remeber looking at the grill just full of tiny, cheap little greaseburgers. Sort of a McDonalds precurser for Malone. Wasn't there long.
Depot Rat

United States

#12 Sep 14, 2008
Lives in Malone wrote:
Depot, I was a regular at Rachel's. Paid many a "quartaire" for a 6 oz pepsi. Won't deny there occasionally was a half pint of something smuggled in (southern comfort was a favorite) to strengthen the pepsi, but there was nothing else going on there that I was ever aware of. Actually, eating was a rarity. We all just paid a quarter to gather and plan for later. Do know a good many Meacham Lake beach parties started there. My God, how incredibly stupid and lucky we were.
I also remember, must have been '67-'68, a real cheap burger joint on the south side of the Main St., can't remember if it was on the east or west end. I remeber looking at the grill just full of tiny, cheap little greaseburgers. Sort of a McDonalds precurser for Malone. Wasn't there long.
At the time I was hanging at Rachels was in the early 60's. Rachels husband was operating it for her then as she was working in Massena.He did not tend to businessmuch, heated it with an old Slamander for awhile as he coud not afford anything else. Many a nite we would just take booths apart, put cushions together and seep there. We always had a good bottle and plenty of beer. No one got hurt and we tried to help with the business. We probaly knew(know) each other with myself being a little older than you.Not the ame place you were thinking of but we did go to a place on Amsden Street for hamburgers and beer, hamburger 30cents beer 25 cents. It was called The Spot Grill. Well in any event back in my younger days there were many a place to keep our bellies full of what ever we desired. And must say we had good times and no Dope ivolved at all. Beer and Thunderbird Wine,HAHA. If you go that far back you know me. Have a Great Day.
William

Canada

#13 Sep 14, 2008
local born wrote:
I believe, not the Greyhound...but the Trailways Bus line Walter Marlow ( Owner at one time of the Wagon Wheel, great guy) was a driver for the Trailways and the Restaurant was "The Karmelcorn" run by the Davis Brothers.Popcorn Shop was also known as "Georges-Georges owned by the Zaferakis Family....The World's best Blackeyed Susan and homemade Candy as well!@.25
William

Canada

#14 Sep 14, 2008
Depot Rat wrote:
<quoted text>Jerry Thomas, owner and operator of The Pearl Street Lanes made the very best Bananna Split.And if I remember right it cost 45 cents. Does anyone remember Rachel at the Popcorn shop. If anyone will own up to it there was a lot more going on there than eating.
Ya...she was something else :)!!
grammax2

Hagaman, NY

#15 Sep 14, 2008
going into the 70's - what about Mr. T's and the Deluxe? I also remember Coughlin's Pharmacy (Mr. T's and the pharmacy in the block that burned). When I was younger we used to walk up from Flanders to Mr. Coughlin's to get our penny candy. I can still remember the smell of those beautiful wood floors!
I loved the fries and hot chocolate at Newberry's and the sundaes at Kinneys.

Malone

#16 Sep 14, 2008
Depot, for sure, you pre-date me at Popcorn Shop. I'm mid to late '60's. Don't ever remember seeing husband there. Just Rachel demaning her "quartaires" and that we "get offa my sidewalk!" No one I can think of ever spent the nite.

Greyhound-wasn't the station the little drug store in the Flanagan?

I also remember eating a lot of lnches at Kinneys wehen it was in what's now the Price Chopper plaza. Back then you were allowed to leave school to go home for lunch.

I would just love a rail car diner in Malone and believe it would do well! Often think about starting one, but don't think I want to work quite that hard.
William

Canada

#17 Sep 14, 2008
Only Drug store I recall near the Flanagan, would have been, Smith's Pharmacy...used to get a free Ice cream cone coupon for Smith's from Dr. Cohen at the Flanagan after he worked on my teeth...he was a wonderful Guy (Benny)! Smith's had a Ice Cream counter and it was very good.
William

Canada

#18 Sep 14, 2008
grammax2 wrote:
going into the 70's - what about Mr. T's and the Deluxe? I also remember Coughlin's Pharmacy (Mr. T's and the pharmacy in the block that burned). When I was younger we used to walk up from Flanders to Mr. Coughlin's to get our penny candy. I can still remember the smell of those beautiful wood floors!
I loved the fries and hot chocolate at Newberry's and the sundaes at Kinneys.
Yes Mr. Coughman was kinda scary at times...knew his Son and Daughter. Do you remember the "Dog & Suds" on Finney Blvd?
grammax2

Hagaman, NY

#19 Sep 14, 2008
Yup, I remember dog & suds, my sister used to work there! Remember the pies at the Franklin? YUM!
I remember leaving the "Sleepy" to head up to Jon's for breakfast at 3:00 am!
Ah, memories of youth!

Malone

#20 Sep 14, 2008
William wrote:
Only Drug store I recall near the Flanagan, would have been, Smith's Pharmacy...used to get a free Ice cream cone coupon for Smith's from Dr. Cohen at the Flanagan after he worked on my teeth...he was a wonderful Guy (Benny)! Smith's had a Ice Cream counter and it was very good.
Wasn't Smiths closer to Eldridge and Mason? Used to buy phosphates (sp?) there. Maybe the place I'm thinking of wasn't a drug store, but there was a little store on the Main St. level of the Flanagan, right on the Elm/Main corner of the building. Small little place and for the life of me I cannot remember the name.

Dog and Suds--how far Jon Mark has come since then. Used to go there and get a bucket of root beer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tim Hortons' Camp Day Wednesday helps disadvant... 3 hr sing round campfire 1
News Random drug tests nothing new to Southern Illin... 5 hr stalkers R creepy 19
News State trooper who let Josh Duggar go went to pr... 6 hr Tazo 1
News Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar trying to get pregn... (Oct '13) 9 hr Disgusted 12
News Fort Lauderdale: Police giving funding to Oniku... (Mar '08) 9 hr MyPerspective 9
News St. Paul schools putting free meals on wheels 10 hr PB in Saint Paul 1
News Halton public elementary teachers joining incre... 11 hr MaltaMon 9
More from around the web