Family says victim not a gang member

Family says victim not a gang member

There are 117 comments on the The Reporter story from Mar 10, 2010, titled Family says victim not a gang member. In it, The Reporter reports that:

Linda Mata does not deny that the neighborhood she lives in has problems with gang activity, but she wants to make it clear that her grandson was not a gang member.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Reporter.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
r u serious

Vacaville, CA

#2 Mar 10, 2010
lucky wrote:
Its very sad that a kid had to die,but we should not be reading the lies on here. I have lived on meadows drive for years, I am a mother with 4 young kids. I have known these people for few years. I also know that his mothers boyfriend that she lives with has ties to the bloods and his uncles both are gang related, even his mother has had gang ties. So this was all this kid has seen in his life, its the only way of life he has known. I have seen this kid and friends wear red from head too toe. So again its a shame and very sad this has happen but dont try to paint a clean nice picture.....
Why don't you keep your comments to yourself. Do u live in the same house with these people? No so don't sit there and say these things about them because only GOD and judge people not you. You don't know how the young man really was.
r u serious

Vacaville, CA

#3 Mar 10, 2010
lucky wrote:
Its very sad that a kid had to die,but we should not be reading the lies on here. I have lived on meadows drive for years, I am a mother with 4 young kids. I have known these people for few years. I also know that his mothers boyfriend that she lives with has ties to the bloods and his uncles both are gang related, even his mother has had gang ties. So this was all this kid has seen in his life, its the only way of life he has known. I have seen this kid and friends wear red from head too toe. So again its a shame and very sad this has happen but dont try to paint a clean nice picture.....
OOPS!meant to say.ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE PEOPLE
Glad to be in Texas

Mckinney, TX

#4 Mar 10, 2010
Only God can judge a person's heart. 12 jurors can do the rest.

Sorry, but whether or not the victim was a validated member of the Norteno street gang is a non-issue. Nortenos do not tolerate Surenos or paisas in their territory. So, the victim must of had some ties to the Nortenos.
Hmmm

Memphis, TN

#5 Mar 10, 2010
"They all shot at him and shot him in the back."

Sounds like they knew exactly who they were going after then, it wasn't a random or mistaken shooting if they were chasing after him on foot. Him and his friend were their targets for a reason. Sounds like this was a planned hit.
Sami

Vacaville, CA

#7 Mar 10, 2010
I hope all three punks never see the light of day ever again.
Anne

Vacaville, CA

#8 Mar 10, 2010
I hope there iare a lot of police at the viewing and funeral. I will not be going near these areas of Vacaville during these times; too dangerous.
Gharvey

Fairfield, CA

#9 Mar 10, 2010
Condolences to the family of this young man. It is very easy to paint this tragedy with the gang stigma which is meant to protect the person saying these negative things about this murder. This seems to be a way of thinking that it cant happen to us or our loved ones. We are all wrong. It can happen to all of us at any time. When you have kids or men who don't have an education or respect for others. We as community need to stay vigilant against these crimes against our community. Rest in Peace young man (Beto). God speed.
and why

Union City, CA

#11 Mar 10, 2010
Is everybody claiming he was a gang member? Its from YOU "The Vacaville "Reporter"" and other news like YOU wwho spout off ridiculous biased based news
agreed

Union City, CA

#12 Mar 10, 2010
100% its people like lucky who don't know their head from their arse who help biased media along
wow

Antioch, CA

#13 Mar 10, 2010
If you people only knew how good of a kid Beto was you would not be talking like that he was so different then every one else ive read some comments since it happend not many because of the stupid people that dont realize the pain his family is going through but sooner or later someone close to you will go & you will see how it hurts so picture the pain when some one takes a life away like this & todays my first comment & last cant beleive some peoples way of thinking.........RIP Beto
dirtworm

San Francisco, CA

#14 Mar 10, 2010
His grandma was a gang member. The whole lot of them are coward gang members.
Amerrikka

Burlingame, CA

#15 Mar 10, 2010
Gharvey wrote:
Condolences to the family of this young man. It is very easy to paint this tragedy with the gang stigma which is meant to protect the person saying these negative things about this murder. This seems to be a way of thinking that it cant happen to us or our loved ones. We are all wrong. It can happen to all of us at any time. When you have kids or men who don't have an education or respect for others. We as community need to stay vigilant against these crimes against our community. Rest in Peace young man (Beto). God speed.
AMEN. My condolences to the family. Go to school and avoid this type of life. It is a matter of making the right choices in life. To the parents of gang members, we all know that you must glorify these values, or your children would not participate in such behavior. Save them from this type of violence, teach them that it is wrong to NOT value life.

Since: Oct 08

Vacaville, CA

#16 Mar 10, 2010
Hmmm wrote:
"They all shot at him and shot him in the back."
Sounds like they knew exactly who they were going after then, it wasn't a random or mistaken shooting if they were chasing after him on foot. Him and his friend were their targets for a reason. Sounds like this was a planned hit.
EXACTLY ! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out, why can't his own family members ?
CICI

United States

#17 Mar 10, 2010
IF HE WASNT A NORTENO THEN WHY WAS ALL HIS FAMILY NORTENOS IN THE COURT ROOM THEY ARE LIARS!!!!!!!!!!
Linda

San Carlos, CA

#18 Mar 10, 2010
Families are usually the last to know... unfortunately. The signs are there and one does not see it.
Cal

San Carlos, CA

#19 Mar 10, 2010
Sami wrote:
I hope all three punks never see the light of day ever again.
Anoter AMEN
Sad

Folsom, CA

#20 Mar 10, 2010
It's doesn't matter if he is or he isn't. His family can't get him back. A lot of parents on both side lost there kids over this. To the three who shot him, they have to live with this and GOD will put his judgement on them. Fighting over colors and your the same race, you bleed the same RIGHT!!!! Grow up and live your life.
agreed

Union City, CA

#21 Mar 10, 2010
Amerrikka wrote:
<quoted text>
AMEN. My condolences to the family. Go to school and avoid this type of life. It is a matter of making the right choices in life. To the parents of gang members, we all know that you must glorify these values, or your children would not participate in such behavior. Save them from this type of violence, teach them that it is wrong to NOT value life.
"To the parents of gang members, we all know that you must glorify these values, or your children would not participate in " really? you know some kids make their own decisions regardless how hard parents try. Again I wish people would think before they comment
agreed

Union City, CA

#22 Mar 10, 2010
CICI wrote:
IF HE WASNT A NORTENO THEN WHY WAS ALL HIS FAMILY NORTENOS IN THE COURT ROOM THEY ARE LIARS!!!!!!!!!!
just because people are dressed a certain way means NOTHING. Haven't you heard the old saying "Don't judge a book by its cover?" I'm sure you have with you being so intelligent and all. This is besides the point. EVERY time something like this happens there are rude hurtful people who run their mouths and disrespect the dead and their family/friends. If you have nothing to add to comfort the family, then say nothing at all. Instead of spewing your hate

“Oblabla - You Lie”

Since: Jan 08

Richmond to Buddy

#23 Mar 10, 2010
Sounds as though the victim was making an effort to break free from the mental midget gang banger types. My sympathies to his family for their loss.

The street though is telling a different story about Beto's gang affiliations that differ from Grandma's and the Reporters view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charges pending against students in post-prom rape (May '14) 13 min Wondering 107
News Free lunches in Columbus schools unwittingly se... 2 hr They cannot kill ... 22
News Barrio Writers provides writing workshops for u... 4 hr June Ann 1
News Black Eyed Peas rapper tells students to follow... 4 hr Sheri Ann 1
News Best way to prevent child abuse? Step in early,... 7 hr xoandre 1
News News 1 hour ago 4:10 a.m.First-graders cuffed, ... 7 hr Mike Penna 6
News Car dealership surprises recovering addict with... 8 hr Reality Speaks 15
More from around the web