Local kids lose their Safehaven

Local kids lose their Safehaven

There are 9 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Feb 3, 2009, titled Local kids lose their Safehaven. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Safehaven, a local nonprofit emergency shelter for abused and neglected children, is shutting down after serving Hampton Roads for 18 years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Swami Poobah

Newport News, VA

#3 Feb 3, 2009
The state wants to keep the focus on leaving the kids with their families? But what if the family is abusive? These kids need a safe place to go!
Kids should NOT have to put up with a father or mother that molests them or beats them.
Lori Carlson

United States

#4 Feb 3, 2009
Center was a necessary option, a "stop gap". Doing away with it means less services to kids, not better services. I doubt it worked as a long term solution, and was not designed to be one, but great idea as a "transition" away from a chaotic abusive home before going into the home a stranger. Thanks for reporting it. No homeless shelter in Newport News, now, either.
cody

Nashville, TN

#5 Feb 3, 2009
thats really sad
newspaper reader

Newport News, VA

#6 Feb 3, 2009
I hope this decision wasn't made entirely based on saving money. It sounds like the feeling is that a child is better off going directly into a foster home when necessary, but it sounds like it will over stress foster families.I just truly hope this is done with the best interest of the children needing a safe place, not just a way to save $$$
Pam

Newport News, VA

#8 Feb 4, 2009
Lessismore wrote:
<quoted text>
Then let them find refuge in a non-government organization, like a church. Get out of my wallet.
One can tell by your comment that neither your heart nor your wallet is in the church. From the sound of most of your comments, you must be a very unhappy and unloved person.
trolling along

Newport News, VA

#10 Feb 4, 2009
Lessismore wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need the government to love me, princess.
No one does troll. Get a life, get up from your computer and go outside. I know you will need some sunglasses because you haven't seen the sun in so long, but it will be worth it. skank
Peanut Butter

Richmond, VA

#11 Feb 4, 2009
trolling along wrote:
<quoted text>
No one does troll.
I do.
trolling along

Newport News, VA

#12 Feb 4, 2009
Peanut Butter wrote:
<quoted text>
I do.
I'm sure you do.
Michelle

Honolulu, HI

#14 Feb 9, 2014
As much as I didn't want to go to a group home as a kid, Safehaven did help me in many ways. It helped me to become declared independent in the courts and find my own place and move out/move on. I had a lot of negative things going on in my life and this place gave me a temporary home away from all of it. Today I live in Hawaii and have a happy and full life. :) Thanks Safehaven for being around and helping me out when you did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The average modern British family revealed Tue Parden Pard 4
News Schools throughout the country are grappling wi... Mon Solarman 1
News Dad with no criminal record, an American wife a... Mon Waterbug 32
News There's an easy fix for cranky kids going back ... Aug 20 Gov Corbutt of th... 2
News Children who skip breakfast 'may be doing thems... Aug 19 Gov Corbutt of th... 5
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) Aug 19 huh 32,016
News Midwest travel: Chicago Children's Museum gets ... Aug 19 Real Faxt 1
More from around the web