8 teens arrested in beating of Lakela...

8 teens arrested in beating of Lakeland girl

There are 11145 comments on the Florida Times-Union story from Apr 6, 2008, titled 8 teens arrested in beating of Lakeland girl. In it, Florida Times-Union reports that:

Eight teenagers have been arrested after filming the beating of another teen and threatening to post the video on the Internet, sheriff's officials said. via Florida Times-Union

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Florida Times-Union.

Allie

Streator, IL

#21 Apr 8, 2008
WOW. I totally agree with you Rose and What...these girls should be punished and IF they are released in time to return to high school, no more cheerleading! I am a coach and would IMMEDIATELY remove their names from my roster, and not allow them back for next year's tryouts! Of course, my contract states that members of my squad must exhibit qualities of class...not the pure trash these girls have shown the whole world. And that mother! Yikes! Learn to speak proper English before defending your little monster and her cronies on national TV! No amount of "trash talk" warrants this kind of brutal, masochistic behavior. I bet it was her video camera. Hopefully they will be charged as adults and to the fullest extent of what FL law allows.
kevin taylor

Saint Louis, MO

#22 Apr 8, 2008
Alyssa wrote:
First off, all of you do not know half of the story. In your many years living have you not learned to not believe everything you hear on the news? I'm here to say that if you can't get your stories straight and your not willing to let the truth out then stop telling the world a lie. I am not here to tell you that these teenagers are to be let off with no punishment. That is most deffinately not the solution. But think about everything that has been twisted, how can you believe anything anymore. This situation was blown out of porportion and should not have been brought to the world and their communities attention. With this story being released you have caused anger among teens that could possibly result in more violence.
I think it is someones turn to do the right thing. I know those teenagers didn't but you can't fix a wrong doing by doing something wrong.
Here's your internet insult...you're a moron and quite possibly retarded. It's hard to twist an assault case in the media when there is video. Idiot kids again videotaping the crime. "you can't fix a wrong doing by doing something wrong"..are you old enough to be potty trained? How is seeking justice doing wrong?
kevin taylor

Saint Louis, MO

#23 Apr 8, 2008
ABC wrote:
<quoted text>
Their parents are not and never were drug dealers or alcoholics. If anything one of the parents is one of the most strict parents out there. Get your stories straight before you start blaming the wrong people.
They may be strict but they failed Raising Children 101.
kevin taylor

Saint Louis, MO

#24 Apr 8, 2008
Rose wrote:
This is unreal. The mother of one of the accused girls was on The "Today Show" this morning defending her daughter.She needs to rethink what she said. All of these girls need punished. When i was growing up i was taught "sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you" All this beating over some words.Grow up girls.
That mother is mentally ill. The state should investigate her.
Momagain4

Land O Lakes, FL

#26 Apr 8, 2008
I have just recently moved to Polk County from Contra Costa County in California. I am the mother of two teenagers and two small children. If you go by just what is seen on the VIDEO. You can see how wrong what happened is. It makes no difference what other circumstance there are. No one deserves to be brutally attacked like that anywhere, EVER!!! I see the other postings from WH and it just makes me sad. You should not be angry for other ppl expressing their hurt, confusion and frustration at what they have just seen. This is a sad and horrible situation and if it was my child I too would feel like I would want them tried as adults. Being a parent of a teen that doesnt always make the best decisions because he is a teen makes me feel torn. My son was attack on his way home from Middle School and it to was recorded and sent around the school.
I do wish the family of the victim so many best wishes and I am so very sorry.
Rose

Canonsburg, PA

#28 Apr 8, 2008
Alyssa wrote:
First off, all of you do not know half of the story. In your many years living have you not learned to not believe everything you hear on the news? I'm here to say that if you can't get your stories straight and your not willing to let the truth out then stop telling the world a lie. I am not here to tell you that these teenagers are to be let off with no punishment. That is most deffinately not the solution. But think about everything that has been twisted, how can you believe anything anymore. This situation was blown out of porportion and should not have been brought to the world and their communities attention. With this story being released you have caused anger among teens that could possibly result in more violence.
I think it is someones turn to do the right thing. I know those teenagers didn't but you can't fix a wrong doing by doing something wrong.
Well Alyssa all anyone needs to do is watch the video......The story there tells it all!!!There is no defense to what was done here.None!!!
Chicago Chick

Glen Ellyn, IL

#29 Apr 8, 2008
Well if not drug dealers or alcholics, which I firmly believe, then thugs, lowlifes, useless adults and probably ex-cons. Kids don't come on such absolute animalistic behavior on their own so wake up, loser.
ABC wrote:
<quoted text>
Their parents are not and never were drug dealers or alcoholics. If anything one of the parents is one of the most strict parents out there. Get your stories straight before you start blaming the wrong people.
Um Hello

Bronx, NY

#30 Apr 8, 2008
Things have always been like this. Just now you get to see it recorded. I don't know where you all grew up, but fighting isn't uncommon. It happens more than you think, but you don't hear about or see it. That fight wasn't so serious. Have we all become so sensitive to everything? Kids can't even play kickball in school? Toughen up America. Stop whining about everything politically incorrect and stop suing for every little inconvenience.

Too the family, nothing personal and I hope justice is served, but all this butch needs is a good ass whoopin from a belt.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sickened By Todays Kids

Lakeland, FL

#31 Apr 8, 2008
Um Hello wrote:
Things have always been like this. Just now you get to see it recorded. I don't know where you all grew up, but fighting isn't uncommon. It happens more than you think, but you don't hear about or see it. That fight wasn't so serious. Have we all become so sensitive to everything? Kids can't even play kickball in school? Toughen up America. Stop whining about everything politically incorrect and stop suing for every little inconvenience.
Too the family, nothing personal and I hope justice is served, but all this butch needs is a good ass whoopin from a belt.
You need to get your facts together. That fight wasn't so serious? They beat the girl for a total of thirty minutes! At one point, she passed out from having her head slammed against the wall repeatedly! When she came to again, they continued to beat her! She has a loss of hearing in her left ear and partial difficulty in seeing out of her left eye! Please explain to me what part of that is not serious? How about the pure fear that she must have went through after being ambushed by 5 of the girls hiding in a seperate room until she got there and then not having any idea how to get away. She went to the door and the one girl blocked her from opening the door to leave. Not to mention the fact that there were two boys on the other side of that door playing lookout. After the girls got done beating her, they forced her to get into a car and they took to someone else's house. Imagine the fear and horror of what was going through her mind. Again, I ask you what part of that was not so serious?!?
firefighter

Richmond, VA

#32 Apr 8, 2008
I heard about this incident this morning. I not only believe it was horrific, but most definitely the teens beating her and watching, be charged as adults. Not to mention she had a concusion that should go down as attempted murder. while these girls are in jail I hope they get the same payback. Nowadays people are just looking for someone to blame; Parents should recognize the issues and responsibility they will have to face while bringing a child into this world.. These girls should be ashamed of themselves all of them, they will get payback hopefully what they really deserve. And may the screwed up parents deal with it too. If this girl were a friend or a family member of mine ida snapped those girls necks. I know this aint 1960 but certain kids need their asses beaten from the parents not only with a belt but with the buckle too. but no they get internet or cell phone taken away. these girls probably havent seen punishment since te day they came outta the womb, so I agree with full punishment. and i feel for the family of victoria, i also feel they dont need the publicity and media harrassing them.
Um Hello

Bronx, NY

#33 Apr 8, 2008
Damn....they didn't show that in the short clip. That is pretty serious. I saw a little slapping around and that was all.
Sickened By Todays Kids

Lakeland, FL

#34 Apr 8, 2008
Um Hello wrote:
Damn....they didn't show that in the short clip. That is pretty serious. I saw a little slapping around and that was all.
It is a little different now when you have more of the details, isn't it? It is a sickening display of violence comitted by girls who are just 15, 16, and 17. The level that they took this violence too was beyond anything I experienced when I was in school. I realize that it happens too often today, but to have the utter gall to tape it and want to post it on the internet speaks to their mental capacity as well.
JGMONROE LAKELAND FL

Tampa, FL

#35 Apr 8, 2008
I BET EVERYONE OF THOSE GIRLS ARE SCARED
SH_ITLESS NOW THAT IT HAS ALL COME OUT.
YEAH THEY WERE TALKING BIG ABOUT NOT GETTING TO GO TO THE BEACH FOR SPRING BREAK. WELL IF THEY ARE LUCKY, THEY
MIGHT ACCUALLY GET TO GO TO THE BEACH PERIOD.ATLEAST ONE OF THE GIRLS WAS A CHEERLEADER, AND I SAY WAS, THE SCHOOL
WILL OR SHOULD BE ON TOP OF THIS...
I LIVE IN POLK COUNTY AND ALOT OF THESE KIDS HAVE THIS REDNECK MENTALITY JUST LIKE THEIR PARENTS AND IT REALLY MAKES THE REST OF POLK COUNTY LOOK BAD. PLEASE DON'T JUDGE ALL OF US BY THE STUPIDITY OF SOME.
Andrea

Miami, FL

#36 Apr 8, 2008
So, I have decided that watching this video has boiled more hate to these girls (I don't know), than anyone who has ever did me wrong.

I feel that these girls should be locked away with the max jail sentence possiable. The fact that they kept her from leaving and continously hit her every time she spoke is upsetting. If I were the parents of this "pshyco cheerleading sqaud" I would be ashamed. To have such animalistic children. I would like to see what they have to say about their children. I bet each one would say "They were always so loving, their not like that" Parents need to take this as a lesson to raising their kids. DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING THEY SAY. Just because they are perfect angels to your face, doest mean they are at school or with friends. Teens will be teens and they will lie to you, even if they are an A Honor Roll student. Always keep your gaurd up.

My heart goes out to the family. I hope you fight through this.

I hope these girls know what is coming for them. This isn't cheer camp. There is no spirit fingers in jail. READY.. OK!

“Ain't she cute?”

Since: Jan 08

Akron, OH

#37 Apr 8, 2008
Little b**tards.
RONALDINHO

United States

#38 Apr 8, 2008
Why are you sticking up for them? If they were my own children, I would tell them they have to pay for their crime. I do not think the parents should be punished but the attackers should. They must understand that there are consequences to their actions!
ABC wrote:
<quoted text>
MIG

Schenectady, NY

#39 Apr 8, 2008
Alyssa wrote:
Then PLEASE!!!! inform us Alyssa what is the whole story because all I see is a bunch of spineless girls who locked a girl in the house and beat the crap out of her. PLEASE tell me in what world you come from that would condone this type of behavior.
Robert

Hollywood, FL

#40 Apr 8, 2008
This is what you get when you give "children" too much rights and "respect". We don't want to say anything here that will offend the "sensiiiitivity" of these fine 8 outstanding young citizens. If I was the father of that young girl that was beaten up by those 8 dirtbags, I would be looking for some financial compensation from the parents of those 8 delinquents. And if the damage was permanent, all 8 pieces of garbage and their parents would be paying through their noses for the rest of their lives.
Hmmm

Lady Lake, FL

#41 Apr 8, 2008
So if i were called a slut by one of these girls, as the mother stated on the news, defending her daughter,could i reasonably ....punch her in the face,kick her,beat her,impair her hearing,blur her vision,knock her asssss unconcious, and i would be justified....i dont care if you r 15 or 40....u never lay your hands on another person...ever....only in self defense/fear of your life...these girls will probably get a slap on the wrist....and if they do.....suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuueeeee in civil.....everyone of them.....make the parents responsible, if the kids wont be held accountable....take yourself to the bank every month,for a nice hefty deposit,courtesy of the "girlz" and i use that term lightly...I am 35, and if anyone of these girls touched me,i would not hesitate claiming self defense while i show them the same courtesy they showed this poor girl....my heart goes out to her....
Hmmm

Lady Lake, FL

#42 Apr 8, 2008
I HOPE THIS MAKES WORLD HEADLINES.....SO EVERYONE CAN SEE THE FACES OF THESE 8 TEENS INVOLVED...SO EVEN WHEN THIS HAS LONG SUBSIDED IN THE NEWS, PEOPLE WILL STILL REMEMBER THESE FACES...AND THEY IN TURN WILL ALWAYS BE REMINDED OF WHAT THEY DID...WHEN PEOPLE ASK...HOW COULD YOU...WHAT KIND OF PERSON DOES THIS...ARENT YOU ASHAMED...NO MATTER IF THEY LIVE IN CHINA, OR ON THE MOON...SOMEONE WILL REMEMBER THEM, AND THEY WILL BE REMINDED EVERYDAY OF THEIR LIFE.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roy Moore's sexual assault allegations have Rep... 3 hr Bill Clinton 28
News Moore denies sexual misconduct, but GOP fears e... 5 hr Retribution 236
News Panzy Fulton said she has lived in the area for... 7 hr STM 12
News Five teens charged in string of east Charlotte ... 16 hr Club Kelly 1
News Lesbian granted rights of 'husband' in same-sex... (May '17) 21 hr Thinking Out Loud 28
News Alberta legislature passes contentious bill str... Thu Sad Bastard 1
News Parents Concerned Over "R" Rated Movie Shown in... (Feb '06) Thu Verbene 33
More from around the web