8 teens arrested in beating of Lakeland girl

Apr 6, 2008 Full story: Florida Times-Union 11,147

Eight teenagers have been arrested after filming the beating of another teen and threatening to post the video on the Internet, sheriff's officials said. via Florida Times-Union

Full Story
First Prev
of 558
Next Last
David Lindsay -uncle

Altamonte Springs, FL

#1 Apr 7, 2008
All these teenagers deserve long jail sentences due to fact they couldve killed my neice.If it was up to me i would definitley try them as adults to fullest of the law. And for the mother Christina and the father of Shumaker should also spend jail time due to thier neglect of their kids and thier actions in this case.It is obvious they have no control of thier kids and thier own actions.If it were my child there would be severe problems the law couldnt even provide for these parents and almost adults.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Bernie

South Haven, MI

#2 Apr 7, 2008
Were she my daughter there would some parents facing huge law suits as well as crimal charges.

Teenage threats and/or insults do NOT equal sever beating. What it eqauls is may-be contacting the police but certainly not a lynch mob.

Some parents need to grow-up so they can rasie their children. jmho

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Chicago Chick

Chicago, IL

#3 Apr 7, 2008
I was so shocked seening this on TV that I almostg cried. I support you - those girls - and their father who justified it all - should be sentence to jail and have all their photos on the television to show what low lifes they are. I bet they were kids of alcoholics and drug dealers
David Lindsay -uncle wrote:
All these teenagers deserve long jail sentences due to fact they couldve killed my neice.If it was up to me i would definitley try them as adults to fullest of the law. And for the mother Christina and the father of Shumaker should also spend jail time due to thier neglect of their kids and thier actions in this case.It is obvious they have no control of thier kids and thier own actions.If it were my child there would be severe problems the law couldnt even provide for these parents and almost adults.
Molly Pendleton

Idaho Falls, ID

#4 Apr 7, 2008
More than likely those stupid girls have parents who are uppity snobs who will deny their sweet angels did anything wrong. What a crock, I hope a jury crucifies them! They are an embarrassment to normal nice teens everywhere.
Jennifer

Renton, WA

#5 Apr 8, 2008
I hope the jury that hears this case slaps them all with the maximum penalty, especially for the one girl and two boys for false imprisonment. It's one thing to beat the poor girl and quite another forcing her to stay in the house so that the beatings continued. I'd love to see them all put away for a very long time, especially so they can think about how badly they've just screwed up thier lives for such a stupid thing. They're all also guilty of "Lying in Wait" since this was clearly planned ahead of time as evidenced by the boys for guards, and the fact that she was attacked immediatly upon entering the home.

The parents of the guilty teens need to grow up as well and take control of thier children. It doesn't matter what was said about them on myspace...nothing justifies what they did and if the parents think it does then they need a reality check. Having children is a responsibility, and if parents don't realize that then maybe they aren't fit to have children, lest they unleash violent kids like that into society.

However, I hope this serves as a warning to all teens to be careful about what they post about other people on places like Myspace and Facebook, and as a warning to parents that if thier children have websites at those places to be sure that they are checking on what thier children are posting to avoid something like this in the future.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Alyssa

Lakeland, FL

#6 Apr 8, 2008
First off, all of you do not know half of the story. In your many years living have you not learned to not believe everything you hear on the news? I'm here to say that if you can't get your stories straight and your not willing to let the truth out then stop telling the world a lie. I am not here to tell you that these teenagers are to be let off with no punishment. That is most deffinately not the solution. But think about everything that has been twisted, how can you believe anything anymore. This situation was blown out of porportion and should not have been brought to the world and their communities attention. With this story being released you have caused anger among teens that could possibly result in more violence.

I think it is someones turn to do the right thing. I know those teenagers didn't but you can't fix a wrong doing by doing something wrong.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
ABC

Lakeland, FL

#7 Apr 8, 2008
Molly Pendleton wrote:
More than likely those stupid girls have parents who are uppity snobs who will deny their sweet angels did anything wrong. What a crock, I hope a jury crucifies them! They are an embarrassment to normal nice teens everywhere.
Im not too sure you are living in the right era here. Last time i checked crucifiction would not solve anything. Your solution to this problem is so low lifed it isn't even justifiable.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
ABC

Lakeland, FL

#8 Apr 8, 2008
Chicago Chick wrote:
I was so shocked seening this on TV that I almostg cried. I support you - those girls - and their father who justified it all - should be sentence to jail and have all their photos on the television to show what low lifes they are. I bet they were kids of alcoholics and drug dealers
<quoted text>
Their parents are not and never were drug dealers or alcoholics. If anything one of the parents is one of the most strict parents out there. Get your stories straight before you start blaming the wrong people.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jeff

Bloomington, IN

#9 Apr 8, 2008
Just seen the video for the first time today, and the only real shame is that this is our society today and the fact that some parents feel it is okay. Well each and every one of these kids need to be trialed as individuals and not at the same time, therefore ensuring that our society does not make another mistake and let any of them feel that what they were involved in was okay, I also feel they need to be placed in a room with police officers and have to explain their action to the young lady they did this to. I just feel if they really have any feelings for human life, that they would find it almost impossible to explain, and thus give the jury a solid fact of just how they were raised and just what our society is becoming, therefore hopefully the jury will send a very strong message to the world.
beth

Quincy, MA

#10 Apr 8, 2008
alyssa seeing is believing..open your eyes.omg how can you even think this way...if it would have been your child im sure you would have been fighting mad...that is whats wrong with our justice system now ...these girls all of them that were there should be held accountable for their actions!!!
as for the girls who were there who said they didnt touch her..to me if they knew it was going to happen and they still came to watch sorrry your just as guilty...i agree after seeing this video on the news they should be treated as adults they knew what they were doing was wrong..it sounds like they hurt this child pretty bad.
smford

AOL

#11 Apr 8, 2008
omg... I have this urgency to speak about this horrible display of abuse. First of all a two little boys that completely understand that it does not ever matter what people say about you they are just words and it is never I mean never okay to put their hands on anybody violently. If I was those girls mothers I would be embarrassed. I think these little brats need to be locked in a room(like they did to that girl) with some real women in Federal Jail not some detentions center for teens. I do not care how twisted it is, where I come from we do not need to lock a girl in a house while several people beat the crap out of her. And if fighting is what has to happen you defened yourself to the end. Let me talk some crap on those brats and bet you they would not do that to me(but then again I am 5'9" and weight245lbs), once they saw me. They intentional took a girl that they knew they could hurt. Those mothers should be embarassed to daughter that disgusting.
Chris

Fpo, AE

#12 Apr 8, 2008
The thing is the media doesnt need to not show these videos on the web or TV, they purely do it for ratings. These girls arent innocent by any means and hope the judge throws the book at all of them. They need to take there punishment and learn not to do these things! That if someone insults you to look the other way and move on.
heartbroken

Columbus, OH

#13 Apr 8, 2008
this is a disgrace. To see this and be a mother brings me to tears. where were the parents? what kind of heart do these kids have?
smford

AOL

#14 Apr 8, 2008
Oh and one more thing I think you are a complete idiot if you think that a parent of these kids have nothing to do with it. Teach your children value of life and how you have no right to hurt another person with your hands.I remember my son(mind you he is 8 not 16)telling me that a another boy in school told him he was stupid, he hated him and he did not want to play with him, and my 8 year olds response was why would you want to be so mean are you having a bad day and he walked away, but still talked about his feelings being hurt to me later that day. I think we need to open our yes to what is acceptable and what is not and convey that to our children at a young age and odds are they wont make themselves look like total idiots like these brats did. And to the uncle please keep us posted on how we can support the family of your niece!
Mathias

Sandusky, OH

#15 Apr 8, 2008
Wow, it appears from reading on here that Alyssa and ABC have a play in this whole fiasco and is now defense mode. After seeing what we just witnessed; you have the gall to come on here in any sort of defense for those 8 animals or the 'owners' (as I refuse to refer to them as parents) of those 8 is a disgrace to you both.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Rose

Canonsburg, PA

#16 Apr 8, 2008
This is unreal. The mother of one of the accused girls was on The "Today Show" this morning defending her daughter.She needs to rethink what she said. All of these girls need punished. When i was growing up i was taught "sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you" All this beating over some words.Grow up girls.
WHAT

New Palestine, IN

#17 Apr 8, 2008
Rose wrote:
This is unreal. The mother of one of the accused girls was on The "Today Show" this morning defending her daughter.She needs to rethink what she said. All of these girls need punished. When i was growing up i was taught "sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you" All this beating over some words.Grow up girls.
I agree .......... and there should be NO more cheerleading , ever ........, and charge them to the max ..........
Brenda

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Apr 8, 2008
I saw the brutal beating on the Today show. These girls must go to prison. It is crazy how out of control kids are today!! These girls won't be laughing when these kids meet their kind in prison and are subjected to the same kind of beating they give this girl and I hope those they meet up with in prison show these girls no mercy. The Garcia girls mother on the Today proves the nut doesn't fall far from the tree. How stupid this mother is for trying to justify her daughters barbaric behavior. What a bunch of low lives these kids and their parents are. The parents of these kids should also go to prison with their kids. Our society is better off without parasites like these people on our streets! What is wrong with Florida? Everthing you hear on the new from Florida is horrific. Maybe the Feds should consider putting bars around this sate. It must be the most violent state in our nation.
Douglas

New Bern, NC

#19 Apr 8, 2008
This stroy brings me to tears, The girls and boys involved along with their parents should face the maximum pentalty according to the law. The poor girl who was beat my heart goes out to you.If the
courts do not punish the parents then sue them in
civil court for everything they own. Then the parents might get the clue that they are raising bad children. I hope the kids one day understand what they did was wrong and hopefully that will be
while they are behind bars.
Douglas

New Bern, NC

#20 Apr 8, 2008
You need to get real , Did you see the video? yes it should have been brought to the world as they may have gotten away with a senseles beating.
Take another look at the world lady today's children are growing up with no regaurd to other
people's feelings and or life itself. You van only thank the proplr responsible... Their Parents!!!!!!!!
Alyssa wrote:
First off, all of you do not know half of the story. In your many years living have you not learned to not believe everything you hear on the news? I'm here to say that if you can't get your stories straight and your not willing to let the truth out then stop telling the world a lie. I am not here to tell you that these teenagers are to be let off with no punishment. That is most deffinately not the solution. But think about everything that has been twisted, how can you believe anything anymore. This situation was blown out of porportion and should not have been brought to the world and their communities attention. With this story being released you have caused anger among teens that could possibly result in more violence.
I think it is someones turn to do the right thing. I know those teenagers didn't but you can't fix a wrong doing by doing something wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 558
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steel Advice: When you are 40, don't dress like... 9 min Panhof 1
Can depression and guilt in preschool years cha... 6 hr HumanSpirit 8
FCCS seeks Holiday Wish donations 7 hr yeah baby yeah 1
Teen dead, another injured following hit-and-ru... 7 hr Curious 19
Cheaters foiled at grade 12 exams 11 hr BEADY BUM AUTORIF... 3
Dedicated Transgender Hotline Aims To Stem Epid... 12 hr Dave 1
Why I'm still a Catholic (Oct '13) 14 hr Catholic Girl 136

Family People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE