Roandoak of God near Morro Bay: Group home under fire

Jun 7, 2009 Full story: SanLuisObispo.com 31

As the county attempts to bring Dan De Vaul and his errant ranch in line, a second front has sprung up in the code enforcement wars, this one also involving an old structure housing down-on-their-luck people.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
johnathontogaleb

Poplar Bluff, MO

#22 Dec 13, 2012
Kathy wrote:
I got there the day before Galebs wife's funeral. I was drug addicted, homeless, fatherless. He took me, spent alot of time with me, prayed with me, clothed and fed me. I was a complete train wreck.
What he did saved my life from certain death. Though I have made poor choices the true christians that lived there at the time were genuine. Fishing supplied the food and electrical needs, we all worked hard. It was a commune that needed help, lots of it, but it saved my soul. For that the ground is truely sacred.
K
its me Danny im 50 now remember me as a kid? ask me any question you want to be sure
johnathontogaleb

Poplar Bluff, MO

#23 Dec 13, 2012
Racheal was a beautiful woman she turned me on to god. I stop and still think of her and Ruth. I dont remember her earthly name. i ate acid and climbed Black Mountain. Ruth saved me. When i crashed on my bike near the showers and broke my ribs Isreal helped me we prayed and i was healed. Those were the days i remember.this was no cult this was this was being a christian.
Valerie

Turlock, CA

#24 Jan 2, 2013
I moved there in 1983 while attending CalPoly SLO.
I liked the genuiness of the matured born-again ex-hippy leaders. I respected them for their lack of religiousity & obvious love for Jesus Christ & the Bible.They came from a generation I trusted & was sort of awed by.
While I found the appearance of the commune to be somewhat strange, it was refreshing & allowed me to focus on learning the Bible & feeling like I was part of something important. Looking back, I can see that I arrived on the cusp of the Jesus Movement of the 80's. I have memories of going to see Mario Murillo, Amy Grant & Phil Keaggy with a group from the commune. These people shared not only the current Christian culture with me, but taught me a lot about feeding the homeless & living by faith in God.
I have happy memories of learning to depend on prayer for food, clothing & everything else. I learned more at Roandoak than I would have at a more formal Christian school or university.
I am quite grateful for God's goodness in allowing me to be in such a unique place. I raised my now grown kids on stories of the commune. My son is a missionary with YWAM & my daughter manages a Christian bookstore.
God is smart! I feel that my 3 year stay at Roandoak of God was a gift tailor made for me!
pianoliz

Kennewick, WA

#25 Jan 2, 2013
thank you for all the positive comments about Galeb he was awesome.

if you were at roandoak there are alot of pictures around

find me on facebook and search for roandoak...

have a prosperous new year, God Bless

pianoliz@hotmail.com
liz herbner
Jackie

United States

#26 Mar 7, 2013
I was there 1990 me and my ex husband John Khan my kids holly Eldon I got pregnant for amber there I had good times and bad there John was an alcoholic they tried to help him I
remember Galen
birdie

Franklin, GA

#27 Jul 22, 2013
Wow, this place was there in 1987 when I lived in that area. It was in bad shape at that time. I would hope that in that length of time it would have been cleaned up some. People living in broken down campers, buses, buildings in bad shape....sad. It was a place for anyone that needed a temporary place to say, but I do have to say that at the time, there were many people that made my skin crawl and did not feel safe being around with my small children. Nice that people had somewhere to go, but back then some of the "elders" were a bit over zealous on having people hand over their entire welfare, social security, or other type checks to help the "cause". I see a reason for some funds, but all? Especially for the conditions. A nice thing to have a roof of some sort over your head if you needed one though.
deb

Seattle, WA

#28 Nov 1, 2013
I was a permanent member at Roandoak while Galeb was head Pastor. I use to love it there, until the day i went with a members husband to shower in town and he tried to rape me. I went to tell Galeb about it and he brought me into the new church in the big house. as i began to tell him what happened, he started touching my breast. world shattered. I know since he did this to me he did it to others. shame on u Galeb and I hope u repented. I was young :(
Mark

Albuquerque, NM

#29 Mar 17, 2014
it was a cult and Galeb was a cult leader. I lived there from 84-88. I had a lot of good times. Made some good friends. I worked on a fishing boat, the Fresno, with a guy named Able.
It was a cult because Galebs word was God's word. He told of visions and dreams and so on. He once told me he sat on a log and had a conversation with the Apostle Paul. He told him that he devil put, The gifts and callings of God are without repentance in the bible. He was kind, generous and funny but he was also a liar and not a true Christian. He was nuts!
Nancy

Bellingham, WA

#30 Jun 21, 2014
My best friend and I stayed at Roandoak for a month in the summer of 1973. It was the height of the "Jesus People" movement and mostly what they were doing was helping runaways and drifter hitchhiker types. At the time there was a small 1 bedroom, ranch style house with a big dining room running along the back of the house. Galeb Ashurst & his wife lived in the house and about 50 people lived, hippy style, in tents or sheds on the property. My friend & I slept in the VW camper van we were driving. Some people worked at regular jobs off the property and every one else was expected to do some kind of work on the commune, like gardening, tending to animals or cooking the 3 daily meals. There was only one toilet and shower for all 50 people, but I don't remember there ever being a problem with having to wait in line to use the bathroom. I wouldn't have wanted to spend the rest of my life at Roandoak, but it was a good experience for the tail end of the hippy era. There was a Bible study & church service every day, which was right down our alley, so we enjoyed it there.
wnkinc

San Francisco, CA

#31 Jul 7, 2014
I was a runaway living on the streets in southern California being raped by every gay man that offered me a safe place to sleep for a night. yeah right, safe my ass, as soon as I was asleep, I end up being raped.
if it wasn't for Roanoke, I probably would have been killed.

thanks to roanoak I learned many job skills, painting, landscaping, framing, farming. cooking.
i became a commercial fisherman.
establishing a career for myself.

I have seen more good come out of this place then any other organizations.

roanoak was not a occult, these were good people living within Gods Laws.

of course they had their ups and downs,
this is how Lucifer throws temptations,
some people were weak, others were strong.

this summer im turning 45, no tattoos, clean driving record,
I owe Roanoak my life! they saved my life. thank you.

I miss standing around the fire drum singing songs with my fellow Christians.
wnkinc

San Francisco, CA

#32 Jul 7, 2014
@ mark, I was living at Roanoke between 84 90,
the only mark I knew was a drunk. caught a boat on fire on dry dock at the ranch.

Able, ran the Saint Rita, and the Corridor, a very good captain.
he did not run the Fresno. talk about a liar.

Ben. is who ran the Fresno
he had the most biggest strongest hands I ever saw.
a good man,. the Fresno didn't fish very much, it was hard to find decent men who would work for 20dollars a week.
I was assigned to the boat 'Jenny', with Timothy Keith.
I was happy with my 20 dollars. knowing the rest went to help others
in need to have a free place to eat sleep and clean their butts.

this commune has help more people with
unlimited housing food and clothing,

really shame on all those who mock this place,
what can you expect from a nation filled with back stabbers.

gracieaffirmation.com , my website and blog,
true story's I will be writing of the filth generated by LGBT community!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Would End Life Prison Terms for Teens (Jan '08) 41 min Serenee 101
Teen gang Crazy White Boys connected to August ... (Oct '08) 1 hr Site Investigations 283
Ex-Etiquette: Presence of spouse's ex adds to h... (Nov '09) 2 hr kallee 38
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 2 hr The Real Karen 54
Operation Christmas Child moving into high gear 3 hr master 1
Why I'm thankful for blogging 7 hr The Butthurt Blogger 2
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 8 hr Springboro Resident 31,403

Family People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE