Roandoak of God near Morro Bay: Group home under fire

Jun 7, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: SanLuisObispo.com

As the county attempts to bring Dan De Vaul and his errant ranch in line, a second front has sprung up in the code enforcement wars, this one also involving an old structure housing down-on-their-luck people.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of31
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Telling the truth

Jacksonville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Judged:

More like a cult. Some time back I my son and my husband had gone there to seek temporary shelter, because we were between jobs and the leader of Roandoak said that the requirments in being able to stay there would be: They wanted control of bank accounts, car and we would have to sign anything of value over to them.
And said that the three of us would have to sleep in separate quarters, my son would have to school there and we would attend the church meetings and could not go off the premises withhout permission and we would have a chance to go to town in a group vehicle and we were not to say anything to anyone ever. Thinking quickly I then told them we would have to think it over. I will tell you this much I was looking in the rear view mirror and hoping and praying and could not get out of there fast enough This had same thought to us as the Jim Jones cult and it scared us.
Not long after that some jobs came through for us.

Since: Jul 09

Los Osos

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2009

Judged:

That must have been quite some time ago. A new owner has taken over, cleaned it up, gotten all the crack heads and cult freaks out of there, and established a very nice, albeit old, facility.

The new owner, Joseph Goodwin, is a Christian, but he is not a cult leader. The former owner split town and started another cult fortress down in the southern states somewhere after he gave up the 'roanoak' property. It is no longer called Roanoak. The new name is Chorro Creek Training Center. It houses homeless people, with strict policies of no drinking or drug use, and also helps them get back into society with training programs. The facility, and Joseph, is quite an asset to the community.
ha ha ha

San Luis Obispo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2009

Judged:

ha ha ha ha ha!!! good one!!!
Total Con

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Judged:

Roandoak is NOT helping anyone but Goodwin who does not own it- period he and contractor Steve Sharpe are making money on the whole homeless thing. They charge 500-700 per month and if you don't have it your out. I know I was there and needed help-they took my SS and told me what to say to County officials. We all sign sheets claiming donations which it rent. They have local food stores giving them food for which he feeds his daughter,son in law and son nice dinners. The authorities need to check him out. 5 minute with him you will know...That property is corp. owned he told us he bought it again total lie- He and Sharpe should be in jail. The so called social worker Shanel is a pawn and is too dumb to relise she too is commiting fraud...Wake up Gibson or are you getting a cut as well.
Joseph Goodwin

Boulder, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2010

Judged:

Joseph Goodwin is not what he claims to be. He and his son Levi, Steve Sharp and a few others intimidate and harass anyone who stands up to tell the truth about his intentions. He has fraudulently appointed himself as governor of the property that was designed to be a rescue mission. The people that the property was truly designed to help were replaced by those who can afford to stay and are easy prey for their agenda. Personally I was assaulted and harassed. They broke into my place, killed my livestock and boldly stole my possessions. They went on a vicious slander campaign against me attacking all they could. Joseph Goodwin is a con artist claiming to be a Christian. He and Steve Sharp hide behind "the Lord" they don't walk with him. If you stand for the truth then stand against Joseph Goodwin.
tim wayne

Hermosillo, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2010

Judged:

mmhh, i should of listen to my grandpa and took over the comunity, but hey, maybe destiny has something special for roandoak, or the newer names. maybe my grandpa is reading this post, and upset, on what hes entire life work, came too.
Not a Free Ride

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2010

Judged:

I don't understand why people are putting this guy down. If you dont want to stay there, then DON"T! Someone else said he takes their Social Security, so what!! This world is not a free ride and this man has the right to get paid if you so choose to stay on his property. If you don't like it, take your social security money and get your own place.
Captain Proton

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2010

Judged:

Total Con wrote:
Roandoak is NOT helping anyone but Goodwin who does not own it- period he and contractor Steve Sharpe are making money on the whole homeless thing. They charge 500-700 per month and if you don't have it your out. I know I was there and needed help-they took my SS and told me what to say to County officials. We all sign sheets claiming donations which it rent. They have local food stores giving them food for which he feeds his daughter,son in law and son nice dinners. The authorities need to check him out. 5 minute with him you will know...That property is corp. owned he told us he bought it again total lie- He and Sharpe should be in jail. The so called social worker Shanel is a pawn and is too dumb to relise she too is commiting fraud...Wake up Gibson or are you getting a cut as well.
500 to 700 with Food a rip off? check the rent in the classified
adds!!
William D Wolfe

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

Judged:

Tell the story right> fact: I am a drug addict I was unable to help anyone at the time Goodwin lied to gain control of the commune. Goodwin came to my office with a message that he was sent by the sheriff's office to tell me I had one of two choice's give up control of the commune and leave or the Sheriff's Dept. would tie roandoak and all it's asset's up in legal fee's and shut it down or my secound option was turn control over to the local church leader's with Goodwin incharge to carry on Delmar Ashhurst "GALEB'S" life's work to feed and house the homeless so I did what I thought was right I stepped down so Roandoak would live on was I lied too yes I was is Joseph Goodwin a con-man and a lier yes he is.
And for the person who stated I ran off and started another cult that is untrue I got a job and I have been working for a pay check since 2002 and drug free God is good. The whole story can't be told in one page but this is the basic's of how Goodwin got were he is today I have no reason to lie to anyone this is the truth so help me GOD...
written by William D. Wolfe the true "GOVERNOR" of Roandoak of GOD.
Rest in Peace "Galeb" I'm so sorry I let you down.
William D Wolfe

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

Judged:

Just another comment concerning the commune as far as code enforcement I was in control of Roandoak for nine year's and people should know that the work on the building wasn't done by a single hand of Joseph Goodwin NO it was done by many many people over many year's for exsample bringing the building up to code we riped and lifted the secound story floor and replaced rotted wood with new we ran new updated electic wire to make it safe we riped off the old roof to the rafter's and replaced it with new wood and roofing we drywalled and taped the whole building we built private section's for each man in the men's dorm we built the porches and deck's and stairway's we bought and installed tile floor's in the kitchen and brought it up to restruant standard's we built the chaple and private room's for family's and a woman's dorm we graveled the road and planted grass and tree's and painted the building and the trim and also even got the pretty oak door's you see when you drive up the the chaple but most of all we did our best to help each and every person who came to us for help and we did it untill the day we were forced out so when you hear all the bad thing's about Roandoak and it's former leader's have done in the passed please take a look at some of the good thing's it has done also we all make mistakes we weren't preacher's or angle's or saint's and never claimed to be we were just people who came in off the street's and did our best with what we had to work with for people like you. Thank you all my old friend's it was an honor to have known you all...
William D. Wolfe "Governor" Roandoak of God
William D Wolfe

Federal Way, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2010

Judged:

freeone77 wrote:
That must have been quite some time ago. A new owner has taken over, cleaned it up, gotten all the crack heads and cult freaks out of there, and established a very nice, albeit old, facility.
The new owner, Joseph Goodwin, is a Christian, but he is not a cult leader. The former owner split town and started another cult fortress down in the southern states somewhere after he gave up the 'roanoak' property. It is no longer called Roanoak. The new name is Chorro Creek Training Center. It houses homeless people, with strict policies of no drinking or drug use, and also helps them get back into society with training programs. The facility, and Joseph, is quite an asset to the community.
Dear sir you are saddly mistakin all goodwin did was scrap what he could for as much money as he could get out of what was there he was sitting on a lot of money that was ment to go to fixing the building instead he scraped it kept the money and coned the community into donateing the cash for upgrades you people are so blind you can't see what is going on and you have the ball's to talk shit about me and call me a crack head at least when I screwed up it was blamed on drug's you people say your better than me but yet your getting screwed over and your stright at least I had an excuse some of the things you all write are just plain stupid I'm sorry for your bad luck.
W.D.Wolfe
Passer byer

Oceano, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2010

I was in the neighborhood today, and got the creeps from this house. It doesn't look like it has been fixed up, there were several cars there, some of the windows had boards on them, and there were a few men hanging around. Does anyone know the real deal on this place?

Passer Byer
Morro Bay CA
Heather

Lehigh Acres, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2011

Judged:

I lived there between 2000-2002. It was my mom, my sister, and I. My mother was never forced and never did provide any personal account information or control of anything she owned. We lived there when Bill Wolfe was there and when the new guy came and took over. and through both of the men in charge neither of them wanted to know or even care about needed control of accounts. I was in high school. ALL of the kids there went to public school there in morro bay. the county bus picked us up at the end of the road and took us to school. We were never schooled on the premises. There were a few parents that chose home school but that was thier personal choice. As for the dormitory issues. Due to it being a religious commune then no if you are not legally married woman and children stayed seperate from the men. And that was to protect the safety of everyone. I had a wonderful time and met a lot of people there. We grew together spirutually and matured into young adults there. We were more than welcome to come and go as we pleased. And the children were always top prority. They took us on outings to theme parks, movies, the beach, just to go hang out in town, and we even explored other churches in los osos. So has to the whole Jim Jones cult thing maybe you should read your facts about what happened. Roandoak nor the new name of that place is any way or shape NOT A CULT. It is everyday average people helping each other out to grow personally and spirutally. And they are more than happy to see you leave get your own place and prosper in life. People really should not judge what they do not know.
And
Telling the truth wrote:
More like a cult. Some time back I my son and my husband had gone there to seek temporary shelter, because we were between jobs and the leader of Roandoak said that the requirments in being able to stay there would be: They wanted control of bank accounts, car and we would have to sign anything of value over to them.
And said that the three of us would have to sleep in separate quarters, my son would have to school there and we would attend the church meetings and could not go off the premises withhout permission and we would have a chance to go to town in a group vehicle and we were not to say anything to anyone ever. Thinking quickly I then told them we would have to think it over. I will tell you this much I was looking in the rear view mirror and hoping and praying and could not get out of there fast enough This had same thought to us as the Jim Jones cult and it scared us.
Not long after that some jobs came through for us.
Benjamin

Joseph, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2011

Judged:

Roandoak was home to me for 16 years. Did we help people? I never remember us refusing to help anyone.We got one dollar a week and a ride into town for ice cream cones. The rest of our earnings went towards taking care of children and paying bills. The frustrating part of Roandoak was all of the half finished projects there. I see that all the scrap metal and the red barn are all cleaned up.....cool.
Benjamin

Joseph, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2011

Judged:

tim wayne wrote:
mmhh, i should of listen to my grandpa and took over the comunity, but hey, maybe destiny has something special for roandoak, or the newer names. maybe my grandpa is reading this post, and upset, on what hes entire life work, came too.
Galeb Ashurst was a horse trader. That`s polite for shady character. He fought the county and won the right for poor people to stay on in a closed society. Morro Bay is nothing but exclusionary green government defenders of wealth. If you are paying rent, you can usually qualify for food asisstance stamps. If you join MediCare, you can have automatic payment in place at your bank. Goodwin cannot touch any government checks unless you endorse the dang thing. That does it. I`m calling Goodwin to see if My wife and I can retire at ROG.
Linda

Pensacola, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2012

Judged:

How times have changed since I was a resident at Roandoak.. I was 15 years old (40 years ago)when they took me in.. My Grandparents gave them guardianship.. I guess Roandoak was a good place back then.. They did give guidance, love, discipline, a semblance of structure, and security.. Then, I turned 16 they sent me to work.. I chopped weeds in thousands of acres of grape vineyard.. Then I was sent to help tear down a part of Vandenberg AFB.. None of which was an easy task for a 5ft. 95lb girl.. I never saw a dime, except you received 5$ a week if you worked away from the commune.. At one time I assisted in caring for the many animals raised to provide sustenance for their minon's.. Rabbit, poultry, goats, 2 horses for pleasure.. There was also a huge garden, and many fruit trees, and strawberries.. Back then newcomers (were) required to sign over all asset's if they decided to stay.. There was a women's dorm, and a men's dorm.. The married couples were allowed to (construct) their own shelters: ie. Campers, plywood and tin, and whatever was available.. Back then we were ok with the living conditions.. The women's dorm was warm, and comfortable.. The people loved one another, and were there for each other.. I wasn't there long, but the memories I do have (other than the manual labor)are all good ones.. Someone named Cornelius baptized me in Morro Bay.. I remember a girl named Gina.. We were friends, and lost track of the other after I left.. It saddens my heart knowing greed and money destroyed what was a down to Earth, loving place I called "Home" at one time in my life.. Love, Light, and Blessings to each of you..
Kathy

Carson City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

William D Wolfe wrote:
Tell the story right> fact: I am a drug addict I was unable to help anyone at the time Goodwin lied to gain control of the commune. Goodwin came to my office with a message that he was sent by the sheriff's office to tell me I had one of two choice's give up control of the commune and leave or the Sheriff's Dept. would tie roandoak and all it's asset's up in legal fee's and shut it down or my secound option was turn control over to the local church leader's with Goodwin incharge to carry on Delmar Ashhurst "GALEB'S" life's work to feed and house the homeless so I did what I thought was right I stepped down so Roandoak would live on was I lied too yes I was is Joseph Goodwin a con-man and a lier yes he is.
And for the person who stated I ran off and started another cult that is untrue I got a job and I have been working for a pay check since 2002 and drug free God is good. The whole story can't be told in one page but this is the basic's of how Goodwin got were he is today I have no reason to lie to anyone this is the truth so help me GOD...
written by William D. Wolfe the true "GOVERNOR" of Roandoak of GOD.
Rest in Peace "Galeb" I'm so sorry I let you down.
Galeb....yes rest in peace. It was your commune that saved me, saved me literally from the gates of hell. That place forever saved and changed my life.
Kathy

Carson City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Judged:

I got there the day before Galebs wife's funeral. I was drug addicted, homeless, fatherless. He took me, spent alot of time with me, prayed with me, clothed and fed me. I was a complete train wreck.
What he did saved my life from certain death. Though I have made poor choices the true christians that lived there at the time were genuine. Fishing supplied the food and electrical needs, we all worked hard. It was a commune that needed help, lots of it, but it saved my soul. For that the ground is truely sacred.
K
Fisherman Mike

Fort Bragg, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2012

Don't remember the exact years I was there but when I first arrived I was a minor. Stopped in and stayed a bit as an adult too. I remember Galeb, his wife,all the Hammond girls,Bill Bloss with the bushy muttonchop sideburns, "David", pre drag boat times, the barn burning down bla bla bla. I went from being a runaway kid looking for something and being naive and vulnerable to growing up a bit and a long career as a commercial fisherman and finally working with addicts and alcoholics in my late fifties in Mendocino County.
I think that there were probably some inproprieties and a bit of cultishness but when compared with "Children of God", David Koresh, Jim Jones the Roandoak bunch was pretty mundane and did the best they could with what they had at the time. Interesting times anyway, I remember David Eastman telling stories about the FBI shoot out on Pine Ridge and the stand off at Wounded Knee and making booze runs past the FBI freezing in their cars while they snuck by on their bellies. I remember eating rotten vegetables and not knowing any better.
If anything I have to say there were a few labor laws broken and some health code stuff but I never heard anything too wierd. I don't have any aspiration to follow a Christian path today and yeah, I had some resentments but all thats so long in the past and just a bit of a memory. Each to his own, live and let live. Staking grapes in Paso or tearing down Vandenberg or eating lentils are faded memories. I do remember pitchforking salmon in Chorro Creek vividly though, camping out at the golf course and getting hassled by the Morro Bay cops. Picking up an old step van and telling "Michaels" older brothers wife ???? to give me a 1/4 oz. of weed and her giving me the PCP laced stuff by mistake, that was one scary road trip.
Chuckle Chuckle, I bet I never a chance to swim in the Hearst Castle pool again. But thanks for the invite Susie.
So, if anyones out there that managed to survive those times with a little sanity left drop a note here or send an email to cleen42day@gmail.com.
Peace Out
Fish Mike
kev

American Samoa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2012

i was picked up by a Hawaiian elder named peter while hitch hiking, he asked if i had eaten or needed a place to stay for the night?
i said ty
we arrived mid-afternoon there we're people mending fish nets , i met some elders that really inspired me so i stayed a while..
i met Galeb and thought he was a true christian and a wonderful but very mature person
i have no negative things to say about Roandoak of God it was an inspiration to me and i thought the Elders Michael,Ruth,Phillip,and many others were very Christian and this was NO scam, every 1 worked got good food , good clothes and good shelter and fellowship, and we prayed daily
Thank you for this experience in my life
captkdgs@yahoo.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of31
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••