(Florida) School Board Ponders Student Group Ban That Would Block Gay-Straight Alliance

Feb 7, 2013 Full story: tampa.cbslocal.com 52

School officials in Lake County are considering banning extra-curricular activities for students, an order that would effectively keep a proposed gay-straight alliance from forming in one of its schools.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#53 Feb 8, 2013
Charles R Darwin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I agree with your comment, except for one thing. Sexuality is an integral part, but it is not something by which anyone should define themselves. When referring to yourself, do you say 'I'm a person', or do you say 'I'm a gay person'?
If it's the latter, then I submit you are assigning too much significance on just one part of what makes you a unique person. I'm not in 'denial' as you accuse; I simply do not believe sexuality is that important in defining self-image; nor should it be something by which you are judged. I know that you are fighting a battle against some serious inequities in our society. I will fight right next to you as it relates to marriage and family rights. Why? Because it's the right thing to do.
The one thing that I take exception to here is that some of you are taking swipes at me. That's fine, knock yourselves out. It's funny how quick you are to pick a fight when all I'm doing is trying to be an example for the idiots out there who discriminate against you.
I understand that the persecution can get to a point where your knee-jerk reaction is to fight, but it certainly was not my intent to stir it up.
I identify myself in a variety of ways; it really depends on the circumstance. If I'm discussing veterans issues or the military, I identify as a 20yr vet. If the topic is farming I usually mention I grew up on a farm. If the topic is the outdoors, I'll identify as a hunter/fisherman/camper/etc. If the topic is about left handed people, I'll identify as such. And if the issue is gay rights or family issues, then I'll identify as a married gay man.

In an average day my sexual orientation comes up no more often than it does for the average heteros.

Tawas City, Michigan

#54 Feb 8, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
That's really original FAGG@T, never heard that one before. You fking retard, get back to su:cking your daddy's DlCK before he gets tired of waiting on your nasty A$$.
Like we haven't heard the same crap you spew out day after day as you're trolling for man-on-man sex?

Tawas City, Michigan

#58 Feb 8, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Since I blew your cover about molesting little boys, how's it been going picking up some lately???
The only thing you blew was your own dad.

Tawas City, Michigan

#59 Feb 8, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
At least I su:cked on a pacifier when I was a toddler instead of a DlCK, like you.
Is that what your dad called his pecker?

Tawas City, Michigan

#62 Feb 8, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny FAGG@T, LMFAO That3 was the root to your perversion. Your daddy molested you, you liked it, turned Queer, then did just like your old Queer daddy did, started molesting little boys. How's it feel to follow in your daddy's footsteps and being just like him??
I couldn't think of any better way to honor my father than to follow in his footsteps.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#65 Feb 8, 2013
Strel wrote:
"Once people realized they had a family member or close friend or neighbor or coworker who was gay or lesbian, that is when we started changing minds."
I think that is some of it. I think a lot more of it is just "WTF, who cares!"
The younger people I work with can't understand why people make such a big deal about it.
When I was growing up in the late 60's and 70's, it just wasn't discussed outside of some cryptic remarks the parents would make about Rip Taylor appearing on kids TV shows...
I didn't even know what a homosexual, not really, until I was a teenager at least. Today's kids have grown up with it being just another part of the landscape and nothing to get torqued about (except the bigots and bullies of course).
The tide has turned. In 20 years we won't be having these arguments.
That is PRECISELY what we have been working towards.

It hasn't happened by itself.

While WE were a secret, what was being done to us on a daily basis was a secret as well; and the only time we were ever mentioned, it was by those who hated us and who set the tone of public perception about us.

Yes, things are changing, but it did not happen all by itself.

Want to help?

Educate yourself, and every time the opposition rears it's ugly head, even in casual conversation (usually just people parroting anti-gay slurs and misinformation), speak your truth quietly and clearly. Sometimes it need only be, "That isn't very nice." If they push it, let the others present see and hear the difference between them and you. Stay mild and friendly. Always keep to the high ground.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#68 Feb 8, 2013
fr Charles R Darwin:

>.... Make no mistake: the GSA will not attract mainstream, heterosexual students. It will become a predominately LGBT club. On the surface, it seems very progressive and enlightened, but at the end of the day, it will be nothing more than a divisive influence in the school....<

Completely WRONG. There are most certainly straight students in GSA.

Since: Feb 13

New York, NY

#70 Feb 10, 2013
Florida is a dirty rotten state and it sickens me that a place like Disney can exist and still be great even though its built on trash (the state of florida)
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

#72 Feb 11, 2013
LeoGatsby wrote:
Florida is a dirty rotten state and it sickens me that a place like Disney can exist and still be great even though its built on trash (the state of florida)
Perhaps you are unaware that there are many parts to Florida, and not all of them are the same, and that not everyone shares your aesthetic appreciation of Disney.

Feel free to stay out of Florida, it's the influx of people like you that is ruining the place.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#73 Feb 15, 2013
Strel wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that IS true, sadly, but the tide seems to be shifting.
Did you see what happened to that shitbird Dorworth? They draw a district just to get that poltroon elected, and he lost anyway.
Scott will not get re-elected. Unfortunately Rubio is coated with teflon, apparently. I keep hoping someone digs up something good on him.
Rubio is a shorter Rick Santorum and by far a much greater con artist.
His lies are never ending such as that he lives in a working class immigrant neighborhood.

"Marco Rubio's 'Working Class' Home Is For Sale For $675,000"

"Mr. President, I still live in the same working class neighborhood I grew up in," Rubio said, adding that his neighbors are retirees who depend on Social Security and Medicare, workers rising early to pay the bills, and immigrants who have been stuck in poverty.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/13/marc...

I don't get this "I am an immigrant" BS either with the GOP and their new golden boy. I am an immigrant and so what?

Does that give me special powers?
Rubio's family fled fascist Batista not Castro as he first LIED about.
I could post several of his lies but this isn't about that inept, do nothing, self serving ,bigot ,hypocrite who as time goes by will loose more votes than not.

I do worry that Rick Scott will be reelected if the Dems run some flunky because the Dem party here has a tendency to screw up.
I emailed them that if they run ex Miami Mayor Manny Diaz who hinted he wants to run, we will loose because organized crime replacing organized crime is no win.

"Did you see what happened to that shitbird Dorworth?"

I was elated.
I have to say the election was beyond my wildest dreams , GOP took the worse beating in Florida history.

Location hidden

#74 Feb 15, 2013
Strel wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you are unaware that there are many parts to Florida, and not all of them are the same, and that not everyone shares your aesthetic appreciation of Disney.
Feel free to stay out of Florida, it's the influx of people like you that is ruining the place.
I take it you are a native Floridian ? You know us "Yankees" want other yankees coming here because before anything else we are NY'ers ,lol.

Location hidden

#75 Feb 15, 2013
LeoGatsby wrote:
Florida is a politically corrupt state and you see it as soon as you move here. I have been here 4 years and still not used to it but the weather is the best.
Freezing in NY and average is in the 70s at night here.

Funny thing is I have met and like Debbie Wasserman because she fights the fight and not afraid of Florida's GOP and than I found out she is a fellow NY transplant.

"Florida:''We're No. 1!'' for political corruption"

TAMPA BAY, Florida - It may seem like a different Florida political figure finds him- or herself embroiled in scandal every week.

But in reality, it's every five days.

On Wednesday, the non-partisan watchdog group Integrity Florida will release a report identifying the Sunshine State as number one in the nation for political corruption.

From 2000 to 2010, there have been 781 federal convictions on corruption charges in Florida. That's an average of one every five days for 10 straight years.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Court bars kids from Jehovah's Witness activities 2 hr array 60
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 8 hr array 179
Project Rebound Inc. hosts 20th annual Kwanzaa ... 9 hr Will Dockery 1
Solid Rock Church hosts concert for Grammy nomi... 10 hr Will Dockery 1
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 12 hr Another View 31,514
Jim Bob Duggar Says Petition To Cancel '19 Kids... 13 hr Lawrence 13
Creationism coming to Ohio classrooms? Not with... 13 hr nobody 7
More from around the web