Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31879 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#25720 Jul 13, 2013
Winter Sheryl Teacher - Social Studies $49,252 in 2008 in $55242 in 2012
Wise Michael Teacher - Science $57,548 in 2008 $59,780.in 2012
Wolfe Dennise Teacher - Spec.Ed/L $66,991 in 2008 $72,696 in 2012
Wray Molly Teacher - Health $70,336 in 2008 $72,959 in 2012
Wylie Christina Teacher - Vocal Music $68,435 in 2008 $71039 in 2012

Increase in Income 2008-2012
Winter 10.9%
Wise 3.8%
Wolfe 7.9%
Wray 3.6%
Wylie 3.7%

String of names selected at random from the salary schedules posted online on the Springboro Transparency Project.
Stephanie Bindemann

Englewood, OH

#25721 Jul 13, 2013
Sorry, I did stay for the whole board meeting. Nice try though!
The Scoffer wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it ironic that one union-activist Springboro parent paid tribute to the words of a great African leader who is now dying, but walked out on the words of a great American school board leader and Springboro parent living right here in our community.
This same union-activist Springboro parent said that if outsiders came into Springboro to work that she would keep her children home from school. Isn't that unionism discrimination against freedom in the American workplace of public education?
Tell It Like It Is

Piqua, OH

#25722 Jul 13, 2013
I am Boro proud to say I am not at all worried about the direction in which our "fiscal responsibility" measures, which were put in place by our children's first budget, and unanimously voted on by our Board of Education members, is taking our children's 21st century education!
Now I am a bit worried about our school superinteindent's memory loss, because for S-U-R-E what a diference a year makes!
Last year, June 2012, Mr. Petrey stated in a DDN report to Jill Kelley: "Where the board's at right now is wanting the highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility," Petrey said,
"that's what I stand for."
Wow! What a flip-flop in direction for Mr. Petrey, within just one year of emotional blackmailing for dollars indoctrination by our Springboro Education Associaiton officers, Scott Maney and Sarah Thornbury! Now it appears that our June 2012 fiscal-responsible reform minded Mr. Petrey has fallen victim to the Maney-Acts gospel of Tax and Spend unionism.
The July 11, 2013, Springboro Sun states:
As for the district's teachers, they have not received a base increase in salary in five years, according to Petrey. Springboro teacher's have the lowest starting salary in Warren County, he said. People should ask if that is what they want for their school district, he said.
As a taxpaying voter in this school district, I say:
Shame On Todd Petrey! I would remind Mr. Petrey that he is the highest paid school administrator that Springboro taxpayers have ever employed.(and some reports that I have found state the average salary for superintendents is $123,000 and Mr. Petrey breaks the backs of Springboro taxpayers by demanding $130,000!)
Mr. Petrey has forgotten that Springboro Taxpayers have asked ourselves Five Times during the past Five Years if we want to increase our property taxes to pay for the SEA teachers demands
for increased salaries and compensation/benefits packages;
and FIVE times voters have said NO.
Petrey said he is constantly being asked whether the district should ask for less millage on the upcoming $9.2 million renewal lelvy since there is more state money and whether the teachers should receive a raise.
"We need to ask for the same millage,"
Petrey said. He called the money from the state "long
overdue."
My question to Mr. Petrey is "What part of NO to unreasonable raises for union school employees, does our proud school superintendent, who believes in teachers, not understand?
Of course the school district should lower the millage on the
$9.2 million renewal levy because the state has increased the cost of new and renewal levies to property owners at 12.5%; So why should local homeowners have to pick up the cost? Shouldn't the local governments CUT their costs,instead of adding increased costs to local homeowners?
Wooly Bullies

Piqua, OH

#25723 Jul 13, 2013
LOL in Boro wrote:
LOL..... Boro Alumni
back in the day..... public schools kept their noses out of their students sex life and just left that up to the home and church! Now Taxpayers are expected to foot the bill for public school teachers to "show and tell" all about it!
Sad to say some public teachers have been known to "home school!"
Why should teachers be expected to educate YOUR child on sex education? Isn't that YOUR job?
During this Dance of Negotiations between the BOE - SEA legal powers that be, Springboro citizens have been subjected to a continuous stream of pre-arranged participants in public meetings,
many of these parents who are demanding that our community wide school tax dollars be used to craft an "educational cult" that
conforms only to the rules and regulations of the false relgion of our State mandated collective bargaining laws.
These rules and regulations of the educational cult of unionism include secret meetings of worship and praise, with only "union ordained" legal advisors permitted to participate as they proudly "dance" their beliefs that union teachers should be exalted above all others; and if any others have more than union teachers; then collection plates must be passed at the polls, continuously till union teachers have more than their fair
share of all homeowners' first fruits of our labor!
This educational cult of public schools not only demands that teachers be inducted into the union; but that unionism is indoctrinated in our children's minds to offer praise and worship of the education gods. Our children are taught to be afraid and suspicious of teachers and their neighbors from the "outside" who may have a global view of world-wide opinions of differing family values, religion and politics.
Right now our school tax dollars are being wasted by this educational cult of unionism leaders who are paid to "lawyer" around their legal book of rules and regulations, till they find a gotcha clause to file a continuous stream of law suits against our school board of elected officials... and the dance of emotional blackmailing for dollars continue, until the sacrificial lambs
are s-u-r-e-d.
Pitcure It

Piqua, OH

#25724 Jul 13, 2013
Sometimes one picture speaks louder than a thousand words, based on first hand experiences, such as the re-instate Ron Malone praise-a-thon conducting throughout our schools and churches last March 2012. You will remember all the SEA/union activists and the Youth Unionism group dressed in black to show Unity and Love, that left
Mr. Malone "overwhelmed" as he stated his gratitude to the children in the newspapers.

An example of this forced unionism praise of the false education god who has been a high school principal is being displayed on our school website, celebrating the biblical concept of showing kindness to one another. You will notice the students dressed in black along with the exalted education god. Our school superintendent has often sung the praises of the wonderful expertise of our experienced education god, stating his value is greater than three of the lesser gods from
the outside.

Ron Malone (who is now successfully, but unhappily retired from "school chief" education god), readily admits in the Springboro Life magazine
that "I've always felt that the key to a person'a effectiveness is how they fit within an organizational philosophy. This changes over time. I'm not sure the fit is as good now as when I came to Springboro in 2000. My strengths and the board's expectations of my position do not match as well as I would like."

Although Mr. Malone recognizes that his "expertise of 2000" does not fit with the philosophical changes necessary for our children's 21st century education, he still mourns lost status of being overwhelmingly loved during the past 13 years as
principal of SHS; and because the community is very supportive, he covets "continuing to work in education." We'll see what happens.
Reject Forced Unionism

Piqua, OH

#25725 Jul 13, 2013
Sickening wrote:
<quoted text>
Students went home and told their parents they were made to skip class and go to parts of the HS building and clap for their HS Principal they did not have a choice they were forced. So stopping education to praise a retiree- do they do this for all retirees?
This education system has held up false gods and forced children to praise them.
Maybe this should be the new Controversial Topic. Praising false gods is a sin.
Students were also forced to write letters of appreciation to district employees for appreciation day.
Indoctrination exists inside our schools.
This is an example of the SEA education gods setting up their false religious practices in our public schools, which is clearly in violation of our children's first amendment rights "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise therof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

When an authority figure of the government, including teachers, firefighters, and police officers, suggest that a child "express praise" and "write appreciation notes" that most certainly does force that child (who is a captive audience) into conforming with the suggestion of authority, among their peer group. I do not approve of this practice in public schools; forcing a student to join in "worship service" of teachers, police officers, and firefighters as is custom in our community schools.

Thomas Jefferson said: To compel a man to furnish contributions
of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Forced Unionism is sinful and tyrannical.

As for me and my household of free voters, we abhor and disbelieve in the opinions of forced unionism and contributing my tax dollars to a government religion is sinful and tyrannical. We will make the free choice of voting No to all local government levy requests in November, both New Levies and Renewal Levies.

After attending the July 11th Springboro School Board meeting in praise and worship of the union teachers, our family has resolved to Never Say Yes to Levies that further support union school teachers, firefighters, police officers.

Just say No. It is the fair thing to do for our childlren's best interest. Just Vote No to Forced Unionism in our children's classroom. As long as Springboro taxpayers support the union teachers, the further entrenched in our children's minds will be the false doctrine of Unionism religious practice of rules and regulations.
really now

Dayton, OH

#25726 Jul 13, 2013
don't need 10 paragraphs to speak my mind...a simple "NO" to unions/Babb/Jobe nonsense. Enough said..
Sick and Tired of SEA

Piqua, OH

#25727 Jul 13, 2013
TiredBoroParent wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear knucklehead... I'm not a teacher, but rather a long time taxpayer with multiple kids in the Springboro school system. Guessing you're another GED-less bagger bigot with no kids? Thought so...
Dear TiredBoroParent, I AM A TEACHER!(and very fertile!); and
I am sick and tired of paying big union dues that all teachers are forced to pay; but still aren't enough to pay for the union's president's salary! So that's why the SEA prez is emotionally blackmailing TiredBoroParents and BoroAlumni for increased salaries for teachers. Don't you understand that the more money the SEA squeezes out of drained and TiredBoroParents and BoroAlumni for increases for teachers; the more of that teacher's salary has to be paid in increasing union dues!
Just Not Enough

Piqua, OH

#25728 Jul 13, 2013
really now wrote:
don't need 10 paragraphs to speak my mind...a simple "NO" to unions/Babb/Jobe nonsense. Enough said..
Bad leaders get elected to public office when good leaders fail to run for public office.

A simple No is just not enough -- although the unions may agree with you --

But to preserve the financial stability of the board's accomplishments since 2008 when the last renewal levy passed, we must have strong union opposition on the ballot in November, running for school board election, or else renewal levy will fail.
Not a chance that smart voters in Springboro are just going to turn over our hard earned money to the union masters control. The SEA would greedily gobble up our children's money and then come right back next year asking for more.
really now

Dayton, OH

#25729 Jul 13, 2013
Just Not Enough wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad leaders get elected to public office when good leaders fail to run for public office.
A simple No is just not enough -- although the unions may agree with you --
But to preserve the financial stability of the board's accomplishments since 2008 when the last renewal levy passed, we must have strong union opposition on the ballot in November, running for school board election, or else renewal levy will fail.
Not a chance that smart voters in Springboro are just going to turn over our hard earned money to the union masters control. The SEA would greedily gobble up our children's money and then come right back next year asking for more.
"good leaders fail to run"....spot on ! that's the problem in any political arena...when there is apathy in any community, and believe it, there is apathy here in Springboro....ie, agenbroad being re-elected time after time...the mayor is a crook...but getting back to your point....without educating the masses ...the bad guys could win...and that's ashame.
Good Neighbor Policy

Piqua, OH

#25730 Jul 14, 2013
really now wrote:
<quoted text>
"good leaders fail to run"....spot on ! that's the problem in any political arena...when there is apathy in any community, and believe it, there is apathy here in Springboro....ie, agenbroad being re-elected time after time...the mayor is a crook...but getting back to your point....without educating the masses ...the bad guys could win...and that's ashame.
There is no apathy in Springboro! I've never seen our community more engaged in working together to ensure a quality education for our school children, while living within our means. Before Kelly Kohls came on board in 2010, there WAS wide-spread apathy; with no one attending school board meetings and everyone saying, "What's the Use...?" The board is just meeting to rubber stamp everything that the superintendent demands in the SEA best interest!"
Change has come to Springboro Schools and the way we do the business of education! Negotiations and elections come and go;
but fiscal responsibility is here to stay! We don't need more money to educate our children; but more financail accountability.
Thanks Kelly! You will always be a Winner, even amongst the majority of losers!
really now

Dayton, OH

#25731 Jul 14, 2013
Good Neighbor Policy wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no apathy in Springboro! I've never seen our community more engaged in working together to ensure a quality education for our school children, while living within our means. Before Kelly Kohls came on board in 2010, there WAS wide-spread apathy; with no one attending school board meetings and everyone saying, "What's the Use...?" The board is just meeting to rubber stamp everything that the superintendent demands in the SEA best interest!"
Change has come to Springboro Schools and the way we do the business of education! Negotiations and elections come and go;
but fiscal responsibility is here to stay! We don't need more money to educate our children; but more financail accountability.
Thanks Kelly! You will always be a Winner, even amongst the majority of losers!
maybe no apathy in the school system....but there IS apathy when it comes to the city leaders...and don't tell me otherwise.
Just Wondering

Dayton, OH

#25732 Jul 14, 2013
Better Yet wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Wiedeman go get your teaching license and put into practice what you preach. There are several vacancies in Springboro.
Mr. Wiedeman please do not waste your expertise by running for the BOE. Please take your expertise to the classroom. Please let us know what teaching position you are applying for.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#25733 Jul 14, 2013
Just Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Wiedeman please do not waste your expertise by running for the BOE. Please take your expertise to the classroom. Please let us know what teaching position you are applying for.
What is open?
Positions

Piqua, OH

#25734 Jul 14, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
What is open?
What isn't open.
Springboro has lost:
13 Elementary teachers
11 Special Ed. Teachers
7 Social Studies teachers
Numerous intervention ( gifted and otherwise) teachers
Numerous speech pathologists and language arts teachers
HS Math teachers, English teachers, music teachers, art teachers, business teacher, etc
...
Over 100 district professionals and teachers have left the district in a little over a year!
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#25735 Jul 14, 2013
Positions wrote:
<quoted text>
What isn't open.
Springboro has lost:
13 Elementary teachers
11 Special Ed. Teachers
7 Social Studies teachers
Numerous intervention ( gifted and otherwise) teachers
Numerous speech pathologists and language arts teachers
HS Math teachers, English teachers, music teachers, art teachers, business teacher, etc
...
Over 100 district professionals and teachers have left the district in a little over a year!
Not to doubt the veracity of your statements, but can you provide a list?
Really Doug

Englewood, OH

#25736 Jul 14, 2013
I didn't know that those with a criminal history could get a job as a teacher in our school district??

If I remember right didn't you menace and threaten to kill a bank teller at the old Sky Bank here in Springboro back in 2002, then subsequently try to sue the city? And wasn't your conviction upheld and your libelous suit thrown out by the Supreme Court of Ohio after wasting the court's time and our tax dollars?

Read it for yourself folks:

http://statecasefiles.justia.com/documents/oh...

http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/pdf_viewer/pdf_...

Obviously Weidemann went to the same class on how to pay your bills that Kelly Kohls attended before her bankruptcy.

Our school children deserve better than Kelly Kohls with her bankrupty, Jim Rigano with his gun fetish, and Doug Weiedemann with his anger issues.

Just Watching...
Worried

Carroll, OH

#25737 Jul 14, 2013
I am concerned that the Board will sign a contract giving the Union Teachers everything that they want because the Board fears a lawsuit for their stupidity in releasing confidential bargaining information. My fears are that the Board will give the Union money we don't have. I am NOT voting for the levy. This will not be "just a replacement, no new taxes" levy. It will cost each homeowner at least 12.5% more due to the State budget. No more Homestead and Rollback from the State. The economy may be doing better, but my paycheck isn't reflecting it yet. Let the unhappy teachers leave. There will be younger, smarter, better teachers standing in line for those jobs.
What

Lebanon, OH

#25738 Jul 14, 2013
Really Doug wrote:
I didn't know that those with a criminal history could get a job as a teacher in our school district??
If I remember right didn't you menace and threaten to kill a bank teller at the old Sky Bank here in Springboro back in 2002, then subsequently try to sue the city? And wasn't your conviction upheld and your libelous suit thrown out by the Supreme Court of Ohio after wasting the court's time and our tax dollars?
Read it for yourself folks:
http://statecasefiles.justia.com/documents/oh...
http://www.sconet.state.oh.us/pdf_viewer/pdf_...
Obviously Weidemann went to the same class on how to pay your bills that Kelly Kohls attended before her bankruptcy.
Our school children deserve better than Kelly Kohls with her bankrupty, Jim Rigano with his gun fetish, and Doug Weiedemann with his anger issues.
Just Watching...
Refresh our memory.
Dollars and Sense

Piqua, OH

#25739 Jul 14, 2013
Worried wrote:
I am concerned that the Board will sign a contract giving the Union Teachers everything that they want because the Board fears a lawsuit for their stupidity in releasing confidential bargaining information. My fears are that the Board will give the Union money we don't have. I am NOT voting for the levy. This will not be "just a replacement, no new taxes" levy. It will cost each homeowner at least 12.5% more due to the State budget. No more Homestead and Rollback from the State. The economy may be doing better, but my paycheck isn't reflecting it yet. Let the unhappy teachers leave. There will be younger, smarter, better teachers standing in line for those jobs.
Makes sense to me! These big and rich bullies in Springboro
have too much time and too much money to argue about and fight
for more! In the best interest of all Springboro taxpayers, the renewal levy must fail in order to stop the Teachers Union arguments of "What is Fair for Me?" The BOE has offered a good
and generous wage and benefits package to the union teachers.
Time for Springboro voters to tell MR. Maney "make up your mind; take it or leave it!" We have to get on with our priority business of welcoming our students back to school for the new year, with
an affordable teacher in every classroom!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lincoln-Way Board to Weigh Options for Future o... 3 hr sorry kids 187
News Jamie Lynn Spears blazes own trail (May '06) 5 hr Victoria Dawn Jus... 1,145
News Jamie Lynn Spears To Give Up Her Baby (Jan '08) 5 hr Victoria Dawn Jus... 28
News Extreme poverty in childhood taught author to t... (Nov '08) Fri heartfelt 16
News Judge Byrd reprimanded in Wilson County case (Feb '08) Fri You brown nose 171
News CO lawmaker: Gay Scout leaders will molest kids Fri private guy 8
News More Arkansas children live in poverty than the... Fri guest 1
More from around the web