Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 32045 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Stop OEA War of Words

Cincinnati, OH

#24673 May 15, 2013
The time has come for community-wide Support for our Children First Budgeting school board representatives; and to express our Thanks and Appreciaition for the board's tireless work on behalf of our children's 21st Century Education.

From the perspective of the majority of voters, our children first budgeting "new philosophy" in educating Springboro students IS working.
Springboro parents and taxpaying homeowners just have to start working harder to get out our message that the time has come for all good citizens to make the responsible choice and just say NO to the bullying and intimidation of taxpayers now being played out against us by the Springboro Education Association union employees.

Don't be fooled by the cunning deceit of the OEA/SEA community activists. Know Your Enemy and Strengthen Yourself to RESPOND to their anger against us just because we refuse to vote yes on the "unnecessary evil" of a new teachers levy!
Enough is Enough! Please help us help you help others STOP this OEA War of Words! Don't be taken in by their mean spirited bullying and intimidating threats to "vote for revenge" and "take back THEIR pro-union board" in November!
Birkenstocks

Miamisburg, OH

#24674 May 15, 2013
christopherritter wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if you're accusing my employer of influencing public policy in Springboro, but I do know that we have served the community in many ways, including the adoption of 741, along with the leadership of Springboro council member Becky Iverson, who is also a member of the Warren County Republican central committee.

That notwithstanding, I do hold great respect for those Libertarians who are fighting for smaller government. While my views on an Open Government differ slightly from their own, those differences are usually minute enough for us to find common ground, en route towards a government that is NOT "small enough to drown in a bathtub," but one that is manageable by the taxpayers.

Regardless to the similarities in our thinking, I simply cannot see why any self-respecting Libertarian would defend the corporate shills in the Tea Party who are working to influence public policy in Springboro. Their national efforts to bust up unions under the guise of "children first" is simply a corporate takeover of our local governance.

Let me ask you this (as you seem to be one of the few rational folks on this topic board that might help ground me as I stoop to their level): What will happen to our liberty once the Democrats have bloated our budgets and the Republicans have sold its assets to the highest bidder? Our government will go bankrupt, and both our educational and emergency services will be privatized. Do you honestly believe that these corporations will place liberty and freedom in their Terms of Service agreements?
I'm quite familiar with your employer. I just thought it funny that you rail against 'corporate' entities such as the tea party. The tea party is far from corporate as they have no organized leadership and are scattered throughout the country in disparate groups.

For those of us reading this forum, who are the 'corporate shills' in the tea party? As for claiming they have national efforts to bust up unions I think you are labeling them unfairly. From what I've seen, the tea party movement is an American political movement that advocates strict adherence to the United States Constitution, reducing U.S. government spending and taxes, and reduction of the U.S. national debt and federal budget deficit.[see wikipedia]

If you do a quick search of 'tea party platform' you'll get many results. Here's one:

http://www.teaparty-platform.com/

I have found no evidence that the tea party is involved in any anti-union efforts. Are you just spouting off?

Regarding the democrats and republicans, they both are deeply into the pockets of corporations and wall street, etc. Obama campaigned against corporate 'greed' but continues to be the worst offender in that area.

Lastly, no corporations do not "place liberty and freedom in their Terms of Service agreements". They are business entities that setup contracts and agreements. As individuals, it's our choice whether or not to support them with our wallets. They don't survive without our money. ;)
apparently

Springboro, OH

#24675 May 15, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, bring in a teacher on career day? Aren't our buildings teeming with those type of people?
OR do we have to pay a supplemental contract to a teacher to get them to speak to the children about their profession?
I can only imagine the hellish working conditions, lets take a look at a few of them.
School buildings seem to be in good shape, clean and well kept
Smart boards in every class
Kids seem to come to school prepared to learn
Parents, who by and large, value education and support the schools
Board has invested 1.3 million in new technology programs
Board has authorized 2.4 million for new text books
$700,000 for 330 teachers to divide in an ala carte supplemental program
Substitute teachers when needed
15 sick days off per year
4 personal days off per year
7.25 hour work day
185 days of work per year (Minus, of course, the personal days off and the sick day allotment)
Well paid and outstanding benefits
Great PTO support
Budding athletic program
$35,000 for more band equipment
All of this with a budget that was supposedly $39 million in the hole before the last levy campaign.
With no new taxes we have been able to balance the budget with realistic, rational, and responsible assumptions and choices. We provided levy alternatives by utilizing resources in the best possible fashion to enhance and develop the learning environment for our children.
Not bad, all and all, for the gloomy hell hole you attempt to portray.
It really is humerous.....you always slip those words "seem to be" in most, if not all of your arguments. "Seem to be" would indicate that you really have no idea what is going on. Well, my car "seems to be" working ok, but I'm really not sure. Those kids "seem to be well fed", but I'm really not sure.

And, we bought all these wonderful things for everyone, shouldn't people be happy? Isn't that throwing money at things? Isn't that the same thing you rail against? Again, when money is spent in an area you agree with - all is right with the world. When it isn't....

While everyone likes to believe perception is reality, it isn't.
Heart Burn

Atlanta, GA

#24676 May 15, 2013
apparently wrote:
<quoted text>
It really is humerous.....you always slip those words "seem to be" in most, if not all of your arguments. "Seem to be" would indicate that you really have no idea what is going on. Well, my car "seems to be" working ok, but I'm really not sure. Those kids "seem to be well fed", but I'm really not sure.
And, we bought all these wonderful things for everyone, shouldn't people be happy? Isn't that throwing money at things? Isn't that the same thing you rail against? Again, when money is spent in an area you agree with - all is right with the world. When it isn't....
So I ask again, what SPECIFIC work conditions are you speaking of that are so awful? Give me some specifics of this so called reality you speak of. The poster you responded to gave a litany of specific examples of positive items that seem to attract the best and brightest to our district. You have ignored that list and you have ignored my previous post concerning turnover and work conditions with a non-responsive response.

I will repost my simple questions I asked previously, maybe you could address them as you have a different vision of "reality" in our district.

It's called turn over. A normal occurance in ALL places of employment.

But since you brought it up what are the SPECIFIC working conditions that you consider so hellish? Or is it more of you "guessing" and your "imagination"?

And if the pay is so low and the conditions so awful...where are these DROVES of teachers and administrators finding such greener pastures? Are the very few people that are leaving the district leaving for a step up? a lateral move? or a step down in postion?

If the pay is so low and the conditions so awful, please explain the 100's and 100's of applicants the district get for the very few openings.

From everything I see we are the envy of other districts, not a laughing stock. If the teachers think these conditions are so awful, may I suggest they put in an application at Dayton Public, Middletown, Cincinnati public, Xenia, Franklin, etc. It would make room for the 100's if not 1000's of applicants we have each year for the very few openings we actually incur.
Not Funny At All

Cincinnati, OH

#24677 May 15, 2013
apparently wrote:
<quoted text>
Your war of words projecting disrespect and contempt for all things good in our schools and community aren't humorous at all...just mean spirited. Why is that?

Why not reject your thinking on "war of words"; and try thinking on these beautiful words of wisdom? As a man thinketh so he is...

“Finally breathren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if thereis any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.”
—Philippians 4:8, NKJV

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#24678 May 15, 2013
Birkenstocks wrote:
For those of us reading this forum, who are the 'corporate shills' in the tea party? As for claiming they have national efforts to bust up unions I think you are labeling them unfairly. From what I've seen, the tea party movement is an American political movement that advocates strict adherence to the United States Constitution, reducing U.S. government spending and taxes, and reduction of the U.S. national debt and federal budget deficit.[see wikipedia]
Reports indicate that the Tea Party Movement benefits from millions of dollars from conservative foundations that are derived from wealthy U.S. families and their business interests. It appears that money to organize and implement the Movement flows primarily through two conservative groups: Americans for Prosperity and FreedomWorks.

In an April 9, 2009 article on ThinkProgress.org , Lee Fang reports that the principal organizers of Tea Party events are Americans for Prosperity and Freedom Works, two "lobbyist-run think tanks" that are "well funded" and that provide the logistics and organizing for the Tea Party movement from coast to coast.

Media Matters reported that David Koch of Koch Industries was a co-founder of Citizens for a Sound Economy (CSE), the predecessor of FreedomWorks. David Koch was chairman of the board of directors of CSE. CSE received substantial funding from David Koch of Koch Industries, which is the largest privately-held energy company in the country, and the conservative Koch Family Foundations, which make substantial annual donations to conservative think tanks, advocacy groups, etc. Media Matters also reported that the Koch family has given more than $12 million to CSE (predecessor of FreedomWorks) between 1985 and 2002.

Media Matters also lists the Sarah Scaife Foundation as having given a total of $2.96 million in funding to FreedomWorks. The Sarah Mellon Scaife Foundation is financed by the Mellon industrial, oil, and banking fortune.

SOURCE: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Tea_Part...
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24679 May 15, 2013
apparently wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to me out of a 400 word post the best you can come up with is that?

In regards to spending money after thoughtful and responsible deliberations on technology the Superintendent and the technology director are saying we need, I fail to understand your comment that we are throwing money at things.

In regards to new textbooks, it was again after a thoughtful and responsible set of deliberations we went with the recommendation of the curriculum director on providing our children with the tools they need to succeed.

And we could just look at reality and see the truth in the obvious.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24680 May 15, 2013
christopherritter wrote:
<quoted text>
Reports indicate that the Tea Party Movement benefits from millions of dollars from conservative foundations that are derived from wealthy U.S. families and their business interests. It appears that money to organize and implement the Movement flows primarily through two conservative groups: Americans for Prosperity and FreedomWorks.
In an April 9, 2009 article on ThinkProgress.org , Lee Fang reports that the principal organizers of Tea Party events are Americans for Prosperity and Freedom Works, two "lobbyist-run think tanks" that are "well funded" and that provide the logistics and organizing for the Tea Party movement from coast to coast.
Media Matters reported that David Koch of Koch Industries was a co-founder of Citizens for a Sound Economy (CSE), the predecessor of FreedomWorks. David Koch was chairman of the board of directors of CSE. CSE received substantial funding from David Koch of Koch Industries, which is the largest privately-held energy company in the country, and the conservative Koch Family Foundations, which make substantial annual donations to conservative think tanks, advocacy groups, etc. Media Matters also reported that the Koch family has given more than $12 million to CSE (predecessor of FreedomWorks) between 1985 and 2002.
Media Matters also lists the Sarah Scaife Foundation as having given a total of $2.96 million in funding to FreedomWorks. The Sarah Mellon Scaife Foundation is financed by the Mellon industrial, oil, and banking fortune.
Those lousy SOB's, trying to force prosperity on us, when everyone knows it is the party that will bestow upon us all that they determine we need.

How could we have been so blind?

Welcome to 1984.

Long live Big Brother.
Dfclt Wkg Conds

Cleveland, OH

#24681 May 15, 2013
Springboro teachers / admins: You claim you're underpaid, and are forced to deal with difficult working conditions?

Then, step aside.

There is a virtual unending list of equally qualified persons out here in the private sector, many of which would absolutely LOVE to have your "difficult" working conditions, your miserable pay & benefit package, and lest us not forget that bothersome 2.5 months off each and every summer.
modern rendition

Cleveland, OH

#24683 May 15, 2013
Look out for the union label
When you cast your BOE vote this Nov 5.
Remember Mrs. Babb is snuggled up tightly with
The irresponsibility of Maney’s SEA.
We pay high taxes, but do they care?
This Nov 5th place a ballot in that box for our kids!
So look out for the union label,
We are better off without them in the USA!
Vote for Success

Cincinnati, OH

#24684 May 15, 2013
The time has come to rally success for our Springboro Schools Renewal Levy, with No New Taxes! Help us help you help others keep our community a great place to live, learn, work, and play sports, at an affordable price for all Springboro families!

G-O P-A-N-T-H-E-R-S!
SOS to Our BOE

Cincinnati, OH

#24685 May 15, 2013
Springboro Parents and Taxpaying Homeowners
LOVE and SUPPORT our Children FIRST!

Please Stand With Our Community As a Whole In Support of our Children First Budgeting and In Full Support of our board leadership and our Springboro School Board of Education President, Dr. Kelly Kohls.

WE LOVE KELLY...because Kelly has proven that she loves our children first, in every decision that she makes our school board representative!

The time has come for our school community to join our community as a whole in Support of Our Success!

Vote Yes for Renewal Levy and Re-election of Dr. Kelly Kohls in November 2013!

We Love Kelly!
tomato picker

Xenia, OH

#24686 May 15, 2013
SOS to Our BOE wrote:
Springboro Parents and Taxpaying Homeowners
LOVE and SUPPORT our Children FIRST!
Please Stand With Our Community As a Whole In Support of our Children First Budgeting and In Full Support of our board leadership and our Springboro School Board of Education President, Dr. Kelly Kohls.
WE LOVE KELLY...because Kelly has proven that she loves our children first, in every decision that she makes our school board representative!
The time has come for our school community to join our community as a whole in Support of Our Success!
Vote Yes for Renewal Levy and Re-election of Dr. Kelly Kohls in November 2013!
We Love Kelly!
no and yes...
illegal immigrant

Xenia, OH

#24687 May 15, 2013
Open Springboro Project wrote:
<quoted text>
Where the hell did you come from, a throw away from the obama administration ?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24688 May 15, 2013
Can you say sequester?
Buffoons

Atlanta, GA

#24689 May 15, 2013
Can anyone come up with a single sensible reason that OEA stooge Becki Villamagna and SEA stalwart Sara Jobe would sit in a parked black SUV outside the executive session BOE meeting last night?

Do they nothing better to do than stalk BOE members, repeatedly walking back and forth past meeting windows until well after 11:00pm?

Do they feel this is some sort of intimidation that will put the fear of OEA/SEA intp this group of BOE members? Is this the type of working together they like to espouse? I mean really, is this the type of childish behavior the majortiy of teachers are wanting from their union leadership?

It would seem to me that these types of immature attempts of union bullying would only further feelings of hostility adding to the community divide. I know it doesn't endear me to put up a red ribbon.

When you are trying to win the hearts of the community the best way lose them it is burning your human capital by acting like a couple of ass clowns on school property.
Birkenstocks

Miamisburg, OH

#24690 May 15, 2013
Open Springboro Project wrote:
<quoted text>

Your continued left leaning rants could really use some balance. Maybe you could explain to the folks visiting why you continually blame the tea party. They are completely unorganized and yes, there probably are some groups that are pushing an agenda that does not involve their primary goal as a political movement that advocates strict adherence to the United States Constitution, reducing U.S. government spending and taxes, and reduction of the U.S. national debt and federal budget deficit.

There are plenty of democrat-liberal-progressive groups that are well funded and influencing our government.(SOROS, Daily KOS, Acorn, Mother Jones, bla, bla) Go here:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/toppacs.php...

The top 20 organizations for Democrat candidates are primarily UNION pac's. On the republican candidate side, you don't see one tea party group listed in the top 20.(I didn't look farther than that)

As shown in that site there are hundreds of groups influencing our government so get off the Tea Party train and get some balance.

In the last election, the NEA alone has given $17,959,922 in contributions, 99% to democrats.

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php...

LOL, No influence there!

On top of all that, you have 90% of the media in bed with the democrats who are always pushing the Obama agenda. They all make me sick.

I think you have good intentions but if you don't want to look like a loon in this forum, give some balance to your argument.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#24691 May 15, 2013
Buffoons are the Springboro residents that don't want their kids to have the same opportunities we were given!
Buffoons

Atlanta, GA

#24692 May 15, 2013
The Fact Checker wrote:
Buffoons are the Springboro residents that don't want their kids to have the same opportunities we were given!
Such as?
LOL

Cincinnati, OH

#24693 May 15, 2013
Buffoons wrote:
Can anyone come up with a single sensible reason that OEA stooge Becki Villamagna and SEA stalwart Sara Jobe would sit in a parked black SUV outside the executive session BOE meeting last night?
Do they nothing better to do than stalk BOE members, repeatedly walking back and forth past meeting windows until well after 11:00pm?
Do they feel this is some sort of intimidation that will put the fear of OEA/SEA intp this group of BOE members? Is this the type of working together they like to espouse? I mean really, is this the type of childish behavior the majortiy of teachers are wanting from their union leadership?
It would seem to me that these types of immature attempts of union bullying would only further feelings of hostility adding to the community divide. I know it doesn't endear me to put up a red ribbon.
When you are trying to win the hearts of the community the best way lose them it is burning your human capital by acting like a couple of ass clowns on school property.
Could be that Jobe joined up with Beck last night to remind the board members, again, just how a-m-a-z-i-n-g-l-y WONDERFUL our union teachers think they are...

Or it could be that someone removed their red ribbons from their lamp posts and they could not find their way home again....

either way, both Jobe and Beck are good for a laugh... or two!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roy Moore's sexual assault allegations have Rep... 29 min Lawrence Wolf 31
News We must grapple with the historical roots of pr... 1 hr Casio 10
News Failing our children 5 hr Control Subject 2
News Child-care workers in D.C. would get more time ... Sat USA Today 1
News Moore denies sexual misconduct, but GOP fears e... Sat Political hit job 231
News Panzy Fulton said she has lived in the area for... Sat Potaters 14
News Five teens charged in string of east Charlotte ... Fri Club Kelly 1
More from around the web