Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31964 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Excuse Me

Cincinnati, OH

#24589 May 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
No actually, it shouldn't. It should come from both sides working together. The thing that is missed completely here is - although there are "two sides" - management and labor - they are all part of one team.
If they are All part of one team, then why isn't the SEA leading a red ribbon campaign to "Support Our Teachers and our Board of Education/School District Management Team?"

Why are SEA supporters rallying in protest falsely accusing the board of "bullying" teachers and showing "no respect?"
Why are union supporters telling news reporters in the Springboro Sun that they will keep "speaking out until they are heard?"

The message of the protest rally was AGAINST their management "team" and suggests to our community that the SEA will keep up their "war of words" against Mr. Petrey and our board members, until "management" submits to "public pressure" and gives in to union demands.
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

#24590 May 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
And for crying out loud, you and other people need to stop constantly bringing up the UNIONS.
My point being, if you could take some time to think critically, that this all needs to be dealt with on a LOCAL level as these are our LOCAL schools. Union from Columbus, the Tea Party, etc, should not be driving any discussions....everyone on the local level should be.
I can agree to that.

The problem is, you can't deal with the teachers contracts on a LOCAL level as they are controlled by their union masters and contracts.

As to what the tea party involvement is in education reform, please provide an example.
raises

Springboro, OH

#24591 May 3, 2013
poundsand wrote:
<quoted text>
I can agree to that.
The problem is, you can't deal with the teachers contracts on a LOCAL level as they are controlled by their union masters and contracts.
As to what the tea party involvement is in education reform, please provide an example.
See, people can agree on this blog!:)

Well, an example would be how the BOE President, who is the Tea Party head of Warren County, I believe, not sure 100% on that, takes the message "on the road" to counsel other districts within the state on BOE philosophy.

How about worrying about what is happening LOCALLY?

In addition, the BOE proposal reads like SB5 to me, and that has already been dealt with through a statewide vote. Now whether you agree or disagree with how that shook out, the reality is, it was rejected, yet all those issues seemed to have crept in to the BOE proposal.
Support Our Success

Cincinnati, OH

#24592 May 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
Now there is actually something we agree upon. Teachers need to provide their input in the process. But again, it will be accomplished by BOTH sides working together.
And it is time for the BOE to take back control of their local schools from the Tea Party and statewide education movements that have basically become anti-teacher.
Are you suggesting that it is time for the badd Babb for Boro campaign to rally the SEA/Youth union activists to Vote for Revenge in November; so that the Pro-Union BOE members can Reverse the Winning Agenda of our Children First budgeting BOE majority?

Where's the success in that losing agenda?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

#24593 May 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
See, people can agree on this blog!:)
Well, an example would be how the BOE President, who is the Tea Party head of Warren County, I believe, not sure 100% on that, takes the message "on the road" to counsel other districts within the state on BOE philosophy.
How about worrying about what is happening LOCALLY?
In addition, the BOE proposal reads like SB5 to me, and that has already been dealt with through a statewide vote. Now whether you agree or disagree with how that shook out, the reality is, it was rejected, yet all those issues seemed to have crept in to the BOE proposal.
I don't know who the Tea Party head is of Warren County and quite frankly, don't care. The union leaders have much more power and say over the teachers than one BOE member or group of tea partiers.

You get rid of union control and we'll all be able to deal with this on a local level.

OTOH, I'll be hit by a meteor before that ever happens.
Not A Chance

Cincinnati, OH

#24594 May 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
And for crying out loud, you and other people need to stop constantly bringing up the UNIONS.
My point being, if you could take some time to think critically, that this all needs to be dealt with on a LOCAL level as these are our LOCAL schools. Union from Columbus, the Tea Party, etc, should not be driving any discussions....everyone on the local level should be.
Are you suggesting that "we the people" need to stop talking about the proposed union contract; and just tie a red ribbon around the tree to show support for a Teacher's levy in November, to pay for teachers "raises?"

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Support Our Success

Cincinnati, OH

#24595 May 6, 2013
When the purpose of the red ribbon was explained to me, my initial reaction was one of confusion. Why do we need to rally behind the district’s teachers? Yes, contract negotiations have started but we have not attacked anyone or showed disrespect for their work and profession. On the surface, one may misconstrue this Campaign and action to be yet another attempt to create a divisive environment in our community, clearly under false pretense. Perhaps just a knee jerk reaction because this school board and administration have made astonishing progress in defining and meeting the needs of our students with a focus to make our instructors as effective as possible.

http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/catego...
Support Our Success

Cincinnati, OH

#24596 May 6, 2013
I am committed to make sure we remain fiscally responsible and do whatever it takes to protect our city, district community, and taxpayers who elected me to this humbling position – because that is good for educators and education in Springboro.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Out of Towner

Cincinnati, OH

#24597 May 6, 2013
Support Our Success ...Who are you?
Support Our Success wrote:
I am committed to make sure we remain fiscally responsible and do whatever it takes to protect our city, district community, and taxpayers who elected me to this humbling position – because that is good for educators and education in Springboro.
LOL

Cincinnati, OH

#24598 May 6, 2013
Out of Towner wrote:
Support Our Success ...Who are you?
<quoted text>
...Who are you?
Out of Towner

Cincinnati, OH

#24599 May 6, 2013
Who is "Support Our Success" ? Is this person your Mayor? They said they were elected.

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#24600 May 6, 2013
Wouldn't that be something, to see elected officials interacting with us on community boards?
Boro Taxpayer

Cincinnati, OH

#24601 May 7, 2013
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson
Let Freedom Ring

Cincinnati, OH

#24602 May 7, 2013
Boro Taxpayer wrote:
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson
Exercise Your Right To Vote - Tuesday, May 7th!

Boro Taxpayer

Cincinnati, OH

#24603 May 7, 2013
"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it.

If it keeps moving, regulate it.

And, if it stops moving, subsidize it."

-Ronald Reagan

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Question that

Lebanon, OH

#24604 May 7, 2013
christopherritter wrote:
Wouldn't that be something, to see elected officials interacting with us on community boards?
How would you know it was them?
Inquiring Minds

Cincinnati, OH

#24605 May 7, 2013
Inquiring minds are now asking if the latest red ribbon "support our teachers" campaign is not symbolism over substance. Are there any among our parents and community members who do not support our teachers?
We can all rally the red in support of our teacher’s rights to negotiate themselves A Fair Day's Pay For A Fair Day's Work;
But, can we all support the “status quo business as usual” old, outdated teachers union rights to walk out on our children's classroom education?
Why not add a white ribbon in support of our students' rights to receive a quality education, while keeping the costs of that education affordable for Springboro parents and taxpaying homeowners?
Red and white ribbons showing strong support for our teachers and children are made strongest by adding a blue ribbon of support for our school board representatives, school district administrative staff, and school district taxpayers? Can our community as a whole support our teachers and staff separate from support of our school district taxpayers and their elected officials?
Why not rally for the unity of red, white, and blue supporting substance over symbolism? Let's all rally in support of ALL working together to ensure that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
WHOOPS

Dayton, OH

#24606 May 9, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
...Who are you?
Just follow the link...
SpringBoro Taxpayer

Cincinnati, OH

#24607 May 9, 2013
poundsand wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know who the Tea Party head is of Warren County and quite frankly, don't care. The union leaders have much more power and say over the teachers than one BOE member or group of tea partiers.
You get rid of union control and we'll all be able to deal with this on a local level.
OTOH, I'll be hit by a meteor before that ever happens.
Check out this FD Wall of Same on the ambulance fire levy sprks debate blog...

Scott Maney, President, Springboro Education Association, among others, endorsed this CCFD Issue 3 which would increase fire levy taxes 93% on every family in our schools.

Check with Tracy Jarvis, our school treasurer, and you will learn that Springboro families are delinquent in paying classroom fees for their own students classroom education. School superintendent, Mr. Petrey, projects his attitude that we the taxpayers should pay this debt from general fund.

At the last board meeting, a Springboro Parent and school board member, Mrs. Kull, brought this $238,000 debt to the attention of voters, via the TV cameras, and many of those watching feel it is the the school treasurer's job to collect these past due fees from parents. Mrs. Kull also reminded the public that everyone in this school district is not rich.

Now Mrs. Jarvis "projects" into the TV camera that she feels "intimidated" asking parents to Pay up for their own students; BUT Mrs. Jarvis is bold and brave in consistently recommending that Springboro should practice "status quo" doing what other schools do---Just promote a New Levy, and increase TAXES on every FAMILY in the school district! Just Tax and Spend and Tax and Spend...Attacking Springboro Parents and taxpaying homeowners just because an affluent community can be emotinally blackmailed into paying more....Does this sound like responsible spending?

SpringBoro Taxpayer

Cincinnati, OH

#24608 May 9, 2013
WHOOPS wrote:
<quoted text>
Just follow the link...
Thanks for the tip ... I followed the link....and found this great article....

Finding ways to methodically advance student achievement should always be everyone’s goal. Implementing academic reforms will, for example, reduce the present need for so many of our students needing to take college remediation courses. This, of course, will immediately translate into money saved for parents whose students attend Ohio’s colleges. And, in order to meet this challenge of higher academic quality, the current school Board of Education and District are, or already have plans to, invest heavily in technology, professional development for teachers, new textbooks, as well as new computers for every teacher, plus much more.
All this being said, there is a lot of work yet to be done to assure you (parents) that we will strive to do more than meet the minimum state requirements. The current Board of Education is dedicated to being advocates for every student striving to push the bar higher than other districts.
Some say there’s no need to change because our district achieved an “excellent with Distinction” rating for our most recent school year. But we live in a world that is dynamic, a world of ever-evolving expectations and realities that require our constant attention. What once was an acceptable level of achievement is now a relic of the past that will ill serve our children and our taxpayers in the future.
As parents, we all desire that our children be provided the best we can afford. We constantly challenge our children with the hope that doing so will help prepare them for the world and better lives than we ourselves enjoy. We are also highly cognizant of the importance of true learning and greatly value education and the promise of what it may bring.
Everyone in the school community has more in common than they have differences. Let us meld that commonality to push forth a better school system than we enjoy today. We owe it to our children. Let us come together to push for real achievement and higher standards that we currently demand.
http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blytheville police say teen stole St. Jude dona... 3 hr just sayin 6
News Camp E-Ma-Etu An Eckerd Youth Alternatives camp... (May '07) 3 hr Denise 249
News Halton school boards host indigenous education ... 4 hr watch Cree Code T... 1
News BWW Preview: Catco Spreads the Spirit of Giving... 7 hr 1 and 1 and 1 is 3 1
News Donald Trump's election makes undocumented immi... 20 hr Geezer 13
News Donald Trumpa s election makes undocumented imm... 23 hr Well Well 3
News Fast approaching holidays puts pressure on Colu... Sat Will Dockery 1
More from around the web