Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,274

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Just Wondering

Dayton, OH

#23728 Mar 6, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
PSEO is paid for by the school district which get its funds from the state. The money follows the child, which is why Mr. Malone sells the high school as the first and foremost option available for higher education. Ultimately it is your tax dollars funding all of the programs coming out of the same defined pot of cash.
PSEO is the perfect vehicle to edge your child into the college environment while still under your tutelage and watchful eye. Most classes are during the day during the off hours, so traffic is not generally the disadvantage you portray. Remember we are driving between Springboro and Miami-Middletown or Wright State. If you feel real adventurous send your child to Sinclair, but even there, rush hour traffic is not like Chicago or Los Angeles. In regards to the peer pressure if you feel you have not done a good enough job teaching your children how to know the difference between right and wrong, then I would worry as well. Regardless of all of the above, the reality is your child will be leaving the nest within the next year or so, at that point you will have a good deal less influence.
Try taking advantage of that positive influence you have now and begin easing your child forward.
As Mr. Malone mentioned at the board meeting a few weeks ago, the offer many electives and then look at filling whichever classes have the most interest. Some classes have only six kids sign up, those are cancelled because they are not cost effective to teach. A quick glance through the program of studies reveals a plethora of actual academic classes and fun classes, the children have no lack of choice. They are free to begin garnering actual college credits or they are free to while away their senior year studying the history of sports in America.. To say we lack electives is simply a false statement.
Given the state of our Ohio Achievement Assessment results, I would highly recommend more concentration on the basics of math and reading. The state of our math scores is absolutely pathetic. We begin third grade with less than 20% obtaining a D or F, by the time they have completed 8th grade that number has ballooned to nearly 80% scoring 75% or less on the test.
You did not read that wrong, 4 out of 5 eighth graders scores 75% and below on the Ohio Achievement Assessment in math.
Sounds like the problem is in the Junior High. How come the only attacks seem to be on the high school? I've seen the district report card and the Junior High is like an anchor the high school pretty much carries the rest of the district. I read about Mr. Malone and what he's not doing, do not really see anything negative. How about Ms. Cook? The Junior High is a mess under her "lack" of leadership. Look at the report card the JH has the lowest scores. Why is she not under constant attack? Is it because she is one of the BOE lapdogs? Looks like many of the posters out here thrive on what the high school is not doing. If you really want to see it go down hill maybe we should promote Ms. Cook to replace Mr. Malone.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23729 Mar 6, 2013
OHIO GRADUATION TEST WEEK INFORMATION 1. THE OHIO GRADUATION TESTS WILL BE GIVEN NEXT WEEK TO ALL 10TH GRADERS AND THOSE UPPERCLASSMEN WHO HAVE YET TO PASS ALL 5 PARTS..... 2. ALL 9TH GRADERS WILL TAKE THE OHIO GRADUATION PRACTICE TESTS DURING THE SAME TIME PERIOD AS THE 10TH GRADERS ARE TAKING THE OGTS.... 3. THE TESTING SESSION IS 7:30AM--9:20AM....IF STUDENTS NEED MORE TIME, THEY WILL HAVE THE EXTRA TIME IN THE LIBRARY.....A MAXIMUM OF 2.5 HOURS IS PERMITTED ..... 4. UPPER CLASSMEN MUST REPORT TO SCHOOL BY 9:30AM......THEY SHOULD REPORT TO THE COMMONS UPON ARRIVAL.... 5. THE BELL SCHEDULE IS AS FOLLOWS: 7:15-STUDENTS MAY ENTER THE BUILDING AND REPORT TO THEIR ASSIGNED ROOMS 7:30-9:20 TESTING SESSION 9:30-TARDY BELL RINGS AND 1ST PERIOD STARTS 9:30-10:08 PERIOD 1 10:13-10:46 PERIOD 2 10:51-11:24 PERIOD 3 11:29-11:54 PERIOD 4 11:59-12:02 PERIOD 5 12:07-12:32 PERIOD 6 12:37-12:40 PERIOD 7 12:45-1:10 PERIOD 8 1:15-1:48 PERIOD 9 1:53-2:25 PERIOD 10 6. 10TH GRADERS WILL BE GIVEN DONUTS, JUICE, AND/OR MILK IN THE COMMONS BEFORE THE TESTING SESSION STARTS.....IT IS ONE WAY WE WISH THEM GOOD LUCK ON THEIR TESTS!! PLEASE CONTACT THE HIGH SCHOOL IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.... RON MALONE

The high school takes but one test, no other achievement tests of any kind during four years of high school. The OGT, as you can see, will never be confused with an A/P exam. This test measures what a student has learned or not learned in grades 1-9. There are no mandatory tests at this time for Juniors or Seniors. So it is just about impossible to tell how good or bad things are going at the high school. My guess is the high school will be a reflection of the junior high and its curriculum.
Wrong

Dayton, OH

#23730 Mar 6, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
OHIO GRADUATION TEST WEEK INFORMATION 1. THE OHIO GRADUATION TESTS WILL BE GIVEN NEXT WEEK TO ALL 10TH GRADERS AND THOSE UPPERCLASSMEN WHO HAVE YET TO PASS ALL 5 PARTS..... 2. ALL 9TH GRADERS WILL TAKE THE OHIO GRADUATION PRACTICE TESTS DURING THE SAME TIME PERIOD AS THE 10TH GRADERS ARE TAKING THE OGTS.... 3. THE TESTING SESSION IS 7:30AM--9:20AM....IF STUDENTS NEED MORE TIME, THEY WILL HAVE THE EXTRA TIME IN THE LIBRARY.....A MAXIMUM OF 2.5 HOURS IS PERMITTED ..... 4. UPPER CLASSMEN MUST REPORT TO SCHOOL BY 9:30AM......THEY SHOULD REPORT TO THE COMMONS UPON ARRIVAL.... 5. THE BELL SCHEDULE IS AS FOLLOWS: 7:15-STUDENTS MAY ENTER THE BUILDING AND REPORT TO THEIR ASSIGNED ROOMS 7:30-9:20 TESTING SESSION 9:30-TARDY BELL RINGS AND 1ST PERIOD STARTS 9:30-10:08 PERIOD 1 10:13-10:46 PERIOD 2 10:51-11:24 PERIOD 3 11:29-11:54 PERIOD 4 11:59-12:02 PERIOD 5 12:07-12:32 PERIOD 6 12:37-12:40 PERIOD 7 12:45-1:10 PERIOD 8 1:15-1:48 PERIOD 9 1:53-2:25 PERIOD 10 6. 10TH GRADERS WILL BE GIVEN DONUTS, JUICE, AND/OR MILK IN THE COMMONS BEFORE THE TESTING SESSION STARTS.....IT IS ONE WAY WE WISH THEM GOOD LUCK ON THEIR TESTS!! PLEASE CONTACT THE HIGH SCHOOL IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.... RON MALONE
The high school takes but one test, no other achievement tests of any kind during four years of high school. The OGT, as you can see, will never be confused with an A/P exam. This test measures what a student has learned or not learned in grades 1-9. There are no mandatory tests at this time for Juniors or Seniors. So it is just about impossible to tell how good or bad things are going at the high school. My guess is the high school will be a reflection of the junior high and its curriculum.
You need to do your research on the OGT! I suggest you go to the ODE website and download some of the sample test. I just looked at the Science, Social Studies, and Math. None of the information on the OGT given in the tenth grade year comes from JH curriculum. The OAA is for grades 3-8. You must be just watching because you're not doing your homework. If your a parent of a JH student why don't you give them a practice OGT and let us all know how they do. Better yet why don't you take the practice test and post your scores. I've provided the site for you don't be afraid.

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templates/Pages...
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23731 Mar 6, 2013
A student does not magically appear in the second semester of their 10 grade year educated. The education they have in the 10th grade is the result of the cumulative education they received in the preceding 9 years. It was built layer upon layer in each grade to arrive at the point where the student is taking the OGT.

A student who has learned just 50% of each year's math in elementary and junior high will struggle.

I have taken the tests and am quite surprised by how much I have retained over the years.

I encourage everyone to visit the site and look at the practice tests available for each grade plus the OGT.

These tests were designed to allow the greatest number of students to pass, as such, the OGT is aimed primarily at the lowest common denominator as opposed to the child hoping to get into Harvard.
Boro Parent of Grads

Girard, OH

#23732 Mar 7, 2013
A little honesty please wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it sounds good to everyone - no one wants to pay more taxes - pretty simple to figure out.
The one thing no one is talking about is what is happening to our school district. Teachers are leaving and they are not hiring any replacements. The opportunities that once were great for students like the various electives, and the after school clubs such as Teen Mentoring are/might be going away with no hope for replacement. Students involved in these after school clubs have that much more to include on their college applications, does no one care about that? How about our HS students scheduling for next year - there were a lot of electives still on the list but if you do the math, there are not enough teachers to teach all of those clases - and from what Mr. Petrey said "the plan is to hire 4-5 new teachers but all of those new teachers will be for the lower grades - not the high school". What classes should the older students take?
I know the push is to send our students to college early so the state/district will pay - but what if your student is not ready emotionally for a college class or the college environment, what about the risks of driving on the highway, possibly during rush-hour, what about the added peer pressure of older college kids? There are a lot of advantages for sending students to college early but let's not forget the disadvantages. And as a side note, if the state is paying for the PSEO, isn't that similar to Welfare - how is that helping the state to be fiscally responsible? Or do you only care about fiscal responsibility when it affects your own wallet?
Spot on! Change for the better can be good, however Mrs. Kohls is leading the way of tearing our district apart. We will be the ones left holding the bag for our community long after she's gone on pursuing her political aspirations.
I just hope and pray there is something left when my own kids start their families and might want to move back to where they grew up. At this rate it will be disasterous!
truth to power

Girard, OH

#23733 Mar 7, 2013
Boro Parent of Grads wrote:
<quoted text>
Spot on! Change for the better can be good, however Mrs. Kohls is leading the way of tearing our district apart. We will be the ones left holding the bag for our community long after she's gone on pursuing her political aspirations.
I just hope and pray there is something left when my own kids start their families and might want to move back to where they grew up. At this rate it will be disasterous!
If you don't like what's going on, I suggest you pack up and move. Change to the positive is almost never without some measure of pain along the way.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23734 Mar 7, 2013
Boro Parent of Grads wrote:
<quoted text>
Please define what you mean by "leading the way of tearing our district apart".

Exactly how is this transpiring?

By hiring more teachers in areas of need?

By investing in technology that expands it into every classroom?

By investing in keeping our children safe by means of upgraded transportation?

By putting a premium on basic and continual maintenance of our facilities?

By balancing the budget to ensure adequate funding?

By encouraging other options for higher level education for our students and parents?

Please tell us all how.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23735 Mar 7, 2013
I forgot, Mrs. Kohl's did vote no against Mr. Malone's desire to add a guitar class into the curriculum last year.

And as it stands right now, no new levy will be needed for the next five years.
Question JW

Tiffin, OH

#23736 Mar 7, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
I forgot, Mrs. Kohl's did vote no against Mr. Malone's desire to add a guitar class into the curriculum last year.
How much do you think teachers should make?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23737 Mar 7, 2013
Depends upon the teacher, their skill level, what they teach, how well they perform that task, the productivity of that teacher's output (student achievement), how many days per year they work, the teacher's professional demeanor, how they take direction and work to achieve district goals, how well they fit into the program of the school district, and how well they interact with students, parents, and coworkers.

Some teachers are not paid enough and some are well overpaid for the job they do.

Each teacher is an individual with their own set of personal and professional attributes and detriments, to attempt to lump them all into one person does a disservice to the individual.
More Maney Lies

Piqua, OH

#23738 Mar 7, 2013
A little honesty please wrote:
"Dr. Kohls and the council, developed the philosophy and methods to Children First Budgeting. The philosophy is a zero based budget process applied by the Springsboro Ohio Schools.
The plan turned a projected $30 million deficit into a $10 million surplus with no additional burden on citizens property taxes."
Give a little credit where credit is due. The teachers agreed to a pay freeze for multiple years and agreed to pay more of their health care costs. A majority of the money saved was due to the teachers giving up pay and benefits.
As for the kids first and making all of the changes this past year, again a little honesty is needed.
1st - Technology (wireless internet) had to be put into the schools because of the requirement starting in 2014 to test electronically. Without that requirement who knows if the board would have spent the extra money. Actually I know - they wouldn't have.
On those same lines, they bought extra computers - again their hand was forced due to the upcoming state requirements to test electronically.
2nd - Buses had to be bought so that busing could be maintained within the district (something that many of the board members fought to bring back). Again, their hand was forced on this issue as well, if not, they wouldn't have spent the money.
3rd - The board has bragged about how they focused on the kids and bought new books but again this was required due to the new core curriculum that is being flowed down from the state.
This distric has a lot of work ahead to figure out budgets and educating our students but let's be honest with why changes are being made and stop implying it is all about the students - we all know it is all about the $$$.
What hypocrites are these Springboro Education Association union activists. Mr. Maney has brainwashed his indoctrinated cult-minded followers and their offspring, to promote shunning of all Springboro taxpayers and their offspring who refuse to protest against our reform-minded elected officials; and join the union activiest in actively promoting collective social justice for teachers as priority over our students educational needs for individual achievements.
Is it public record for citizens to find out just how much MONEY is Mr. Maney being paid in Union dues from hard-working school employees to continue this bullying of parents and community taxpayers, in Maney's attack on this community fighting for unionism empowerment and social justice for teachers?
Does Mr. Maney practice tansparency in his "budget of forced union dues" by reporting to Springboro taxpayers the union's INVESTMENT of our kids' school tax dollars back into the classroom?
The answer is No.
and neither should Mr. Maney's social justice activists spread lies that board representatives are being forced by the state to do the right thing and falsely accuse the board of caring only about the money and not about the students?
More Maney Lies

Piqua, OH

#23739 Mar 7, 2013
Reject Ohio Common Core You know, federal government control of school curriculum
http://www.heritage.org/initiatives/education
Question JW

Tiffin, OH

#23740 Mar 7, 2013
I would like a dollar amount for the lowest teacher you describe and the highest, what do you think is fair?
Spreading The Truth

Piqua, OH

#23741 Mar 7, 2013
Just Because wrote:
It's time for our fearful ones to stop clinging to "status quo" failed practices of the past; just because we've always practiced past failures. We have a new practice of doing education in the best interest of each individual student under new elected-leadership majority of reform-minded BOE representatives.
Hooray for us! Our school district voters have broken that OSBA/OEA tunnel vision which promotes continuous streams of new school taxes; holding parents hostage over things like increased fees and threats of "brain drain" caused our community by our classroom teachers "walking out” on our Springboro students; IF self-interest demands of grand-standing union activists aren't met.
School districts voters have failed five new money school levy requests;and have voted into elected office school board representatives who support "Levy Alternatives/Budget Reform"... FIRST, before coming to heavily-taxed-burdened homeowners for new money. Our new BOE majority is doing what’s right for our school children and our community! How fortunate are we to hear at the January 22 public school board meeting, from our school district CFO report, that our school finances are in good shape and right where we expected to be! How grateful we are to our BOE budget and finance committee for their amazing achievements during 2012, as we offer continued support throughout greater challenges of the new year.
Our school district’s new philosophy of our reform-minded BOE majority is the right choice for our children's future;and the right way to keep Our Springboro Schools and Our Springboro Community as a whole ...GROWING STRONG.
"On my desk in the Oval Office, I have a little sign that says: There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." -Ronald Reagan

An open letter to our children first budgeting BOE majority
members....

Those of us who appreciate and fully support the direction of your leadership for our children's future recognize that reform minded board representatives are not boastful and you never grandstand for public applause to credit yourselves for your amazingly awesome achievements of 2012...
therefore, we grateful citizens just have to spread the truth with applause applause to our school board and district leaders for making us all so BORO PROUD by posting updates on the school board website. Thank You for keeping the commuity informed and we'll be checking the website often for ongoing updates.
Spreading The Truth

Piqua, OH

#23742 Mar 7, 2013
Springboro Board of Education Highlights from 2012

Investments in our classrooms
A renewed focus on individual student success is critical as we adopt higher standards required by Ohio’s Common Core Curriculum by 2014-15 ( www.corestandards.org ). We’ve invested $350,000 in a highly acclaimed reading curriculum for first through fifth graders, added high school AP and math courses, and reduced some elementary class sizes. And this is just the beginning.

Keeping pace with technology in 2013
We are focused on preparing our students to be career and college ready, which includes encouraging digital learning. The district is working on its first comprehensive technology plan. Our five-year forecast includes $1,100,000 to bring our infrastructure up to date, go wireless in every classroom, build the technology backbone for our schools, and replace 1,100 of the district’s aging computers. This is necessary in order to equip our classrooms for the new state tests in 2014.

Innovative problem solving
Our district purchased 20 buses in 2006; however, we have not purchased any since. With no prior plan for bus purchases, we learned that our optimum fleet is 70 buses, and 20 buses will age out of our fleet in the next two to four years. With the administration, we worked to find an affordable solution that will bring 21 new buses to the district over the next five years without placing a disproportionate burden on our budget. And the district is working to revise bus routes for 2013-2014 to be more efficient and cost-effective.

Connecting the community to our schools
A Board of Education’s role is to represent the community within the school district, and transparency with our community is a priority. Our board created three committees in 2012—budget and finance, policy, and compensation and evaluation. These committees’ meetings follow Ohio’s Sunshine Laws: they are open to the public with announced meeting times and published minutes. The bridge with the community has been broadened online and on television as well. Board meeting documents are all available through the district website www.Springboro.org , and board meetings are broadcast on EATV Channel 21 through the Miami Valley Communications Council. Visit www.MVCC.net for the broadcast schedule.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23743 Mar 7, 2013
Question JW wrote:
I would like a dollar amount for the lowest teacher you describe and the highest, what do you think is fair?
Where are they teaching? What are they teaching? What grade are they teaching? How good of a teacher are they? Who will they be teaching? Are they right out of school? Where do they live?(Chicago costs more to live in than say Van Wert, OH) What is the demand for that level teacher that you described in the place you also describe? How many teachers are applying for that job in that place you describe?

Give me a few more answers to the variable and let us see what we can do. The market will set the value of labor. If a person feels they are not paid enough, they are free to seek employment elsewhere in hopes of deriving that pay schedule that reflects their own self worth.

Teachers in Dayton public schools seem to be paid more than in Springboro, but I do not see a mad rush to transfer to the Dayton public schools. There must be other things that factor into the decision to accept one job over the other.

Money is rarely the only factor in the vast majority of economic decisions each of us make on a daily basis.
Question JW

Tiffin, OH

#23744 Mar 7, 2013
So you are in the group that thinks schools are businesses and not a service provider? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think schools can generate income (last time I checked) how can you run something like a business when it is clearly not?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23745 Mar 7, 2013
Our parents never dreamed that we would end up competing with countries that could offer large numbers of highly educated workers willing to work long hours for low wages. But China and India are doing exactly that. Indeed, it turns out that China and India are only the tip of the iceberg. Whereas for most of the 20th century the United States could take pride in having the best-educated workforce in the world, that is no longer true. Over the past 30 years, one country after another has surpassed us in the proportion of their entering workforce with the equivalent of a high school diploma, and many more are on the verge of doing so. Thirty five years ago, the United States could lay claim to having 30 percent of the world’s population of college students. Today that proportion has fallen to 14 percent and is continuing to fall.

While our international counterparts are increasingly getting more education, their young people are getting a better education as well. American students and young adults place anywhere from the middle to the bottom of the pack in all three continuing comparative studies of achievement in mathematics, science, and general literacy in the advanced industrial nations.

While our relative position in the world’s education tables has
continued its long slow decline, the structure of the global economy has continued to evolve. Every day, more and more of the work that people do ends up in a digitized form. From X-rays used for medical diagnostic purposes, to songs, movies, architectural drawings, technical papers,
and novels, that work is saved on a hard disk
and transmitted instantly over the Internet to someone near or far who makes use of it in an endless variety of ways. Because of this is, a swiftly rising number of American workers at every skill level are in direct
competition with workers in every corner of the globe.

If someone can figure out the algorithm for a routine job, chances are that it is economic to automate it. Many good well-paying, middle-class jobs involve routine work of this kind and are rapidly being automated.

Because employers everywhere have access to a worldwide workforce composed of people who do not have to move to participate in work
teams that are truly global. Because this is so, a swiftly rising number of American workers at every skill level are in direct competition with workers in every corner of the globe. So it matters very much that, increasingly, it is
easier and easier for employers everywhere to get workers who are better skilled at lower cost than American workers.

Are we preparing our children for this world?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23746 Mar 7, 2013
Question JW wrote:
So you are in the group that thinks schools are businesses and not a service provider? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think schools can generate income (last time I checked) how can you run something like a business when it is clearly not?
Everything is a business.

Churches, hospitals, "non-profits", local, state and federal government, schools

If you take in money, hire people, pay bills, then you are a business.
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#23747 Mar 7, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
The Five Year Forecast, approved by this board, shows us requesting a renewal levy. If the renewal levy doesn't pass, we go into deficit spending.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pregnant Alicia Keys Poses Nude to Draw Attenti... 12 min Belle Sexton 1
Youth group to groom tomorrow's Globe stars (Sep '08) 51 min Video purports re... 6
Gangsters shot dead boy, 9, who had stormed out... 3 hr RustyS 1
SE Valley senior-care demand pushing availability 5 hr ashleyjohnn 2
'He was like Jekyll and Hyde but drug means he'... 11 hr HumanSpirit 1
Preschool intern accused of making kids touch h... 12 hr fancy 2
"Dance Moms" Cast Visits With Kids At Children'... 17 hr dmw 7
•••

Family People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••