Heroin Moves Into Connecticut Suburbia

Heroin Moves Into Connecticut Suburbia

There are 135 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Dec 21, 2008, titled Heroin Moves Into Connecticut Suburbia. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Heroin, a drug usually associated with skeletal addicts in the inner city, is increasingly infiltrating Connecticut's suburbs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
the Badger

United States

#1 Dec 21, 2008
We must confront that elephant.
Rick

Glastonbury, CT

#2 Dec 21, 2008
It would be interesting to have actual numbers or numbers per 1,000 of a particular age groups. The percentages attached to the article may or may not be significant. A one or two percentage change may be two or three kids. You really can't tell if it is a real issue or a bit of media hype.
JenR

Hartford, CT

#3 Dec 21, 2008
only 2 post and its after 6:30am? Oh I forgot this story is about __________ lol
Watch how everyone has answers/cures, let the sob stories began
McLovin

Newington, CT

#4 Dec 21, 2008
It's out-of-control and getting worse each and every day. I'm a hospital pharmacist and I see people (teenagers and young adults and beyond) getting admited to detox units every single day for opioid dependency. Unfortunately, there are lots of repeat offenders. There was even a very sad case of a 20-something that died (I believe) from smoking a Duragesic patch.

Unfortunately, this will not get better anytime soon with heroin bags so cheap and so readily available. It may start with a Percocet, but it doesn't end so nicely.
Bucster

Newington, CT

#5 Dec 21, 2008
JenR wrote:
only 2 post and its after 6:30am? Oh I forgot this story is about __________ lol
Watch how everyone has answers/cures, let the sob stories began
You know what you are a complete idiot. I suppose you live well, have no problems and know no one who has a drug problem? Sob stories, you have no idea you little person sitting on her high horse. One day you too somehow will be sucked into the heroin epidemic and guess what I will have not one ounce of sympathy for you so got rot and continue to pull your covers over your head like there are no issues.
johnR

Newington, CT

#6 Dec 21, 2008
what is a Duragesic patch?
Vernon Resident

Salem, CT

#7 Dec 21, 2008
McLovin wrote:
It's out-of-control and getting worse each and every day. I'm a hospital pharmacist and I see people (teenagers and young adults and beyond) getting admited to detox units every single day for opioid dependency. Unfortunately, there are lots of repeat offenders. There was even a very sad case of a 20-something that died (I believe) from smoking a Duragesic patch.
Unfortunately, this will not get better anytime soon with heroin bags so cheap and so readily available. It may start with a Percocet, but it doesn't end so nicely.
I work in a local ER and I completely agree. It's very sad. I have a 17 yr old and I am scared for him. He's gotten more secretive and secluded. Thanks for the article.
Bucster

Newington, CT

#8 Dec 21, 2008
johnR wrote:
It's a patch that delivers a continuous does of a narcotic painkiller, fentanyl, for 3 days. Its obviously used for those living with chronic pain.
McLovin

Newington, CT

#9 Dec 21, 2008
johnR wrote:
It's a patch for patients that have chronic (mostly cancer) pain. At least that is the intention of the patch. Of course, it's abused and, probably, over prescribed. With tht being said, it finds its way on the black market and since it's intention is to be placed topically every 72 hours for pain relief, drug addicts find ways to get that 72 hours worth or narcotic at once, whether it's smoking it or sucking on it.
Kelly Russo

Massapequa Park, NY

#10 Dec 21, 2008
I commend these two people for sharing their painful truths and educating us parents that are always the last to know.My house as been pain killer free for 4 years because I had heard about kids sharing a bowl of pescription pills at a party. Heroin and the cheap price tag that it comes with is news to me and I'm greatful that I saw this article.
holy crap

Glastonbury, CT

#11 Dec 21, 2008
My bank accounts have been wiped out, jewelery missing and he's already been through rehab. I fear for the day I have to identify his body. Very sad.
Moses

Tel Aviv, Israel

#12 Dec 21, 2008
Once again this issue has been a suburban problem in CT for at least 7 years already. New Haven county subburbs most effected like North Haven, 1 out of three teens in that town use heroin or Oxycodone. Again why is the media just catching up and pretending this is a new issue. If we look at the issue with North Haven as an example, most families there are quite well off but usually because of "Blue Collar" success. Since Daddy or Mommy made their money being relative academic failures, you'll notice very few teens in that area even from seriously wealthy homes value education, most would rather sit in their 2 million plus dollar homes and play video games all day. That coupled with the vast majority whose parents have Mafia related wealth and again you produce suburban neighborhoods full of wealthy "White Trash". This is New Haven county in a nut shell, and I am sure this is reflected in a number of CT suburbs not just New Haven county!
Haddam Resident

South Dennis, MA

#13 Dec 21, 2008
Very scarey!
Howard Taft

United States

#14 Dec 21, 2008
Drug have been in suburbia for a long time.

Generally speaking, drugs are sold in the city and used in the suburbs. Inner city drug dealers aren't getting rich selling drugs to other poor inner city folks. In college, it was the upper middle class and rich white kids who were doing drugs.
Plus, every nice suburban town I've ever been to has a dive bar or two (you know the ones)where you can find almost anything you want.
Let face it, these kids are raised with a certain acceptance of drug use. They know their parents smoke(d) pot, drink alcohol, take pain killers, antidepressants, anti-anxiety medication, and sleeping pills.
You don't hear about suburban addicts because they don't break into your house or your car, they just steal from their parents.
Woody Nesbit

New Hartford, CT

#15 Dec 21, 2008
With the widespread PR campaigns by Big Pharma blanketing the media for drugs as the solution to every woe, every perceived woe, from shaky legs to insomnia to ED, and the refusal of physicians to actually treat and cure people versus just medicate them forever, it's no wonder that people flock to illegal drugs like heroin, etc.

In the meanwhile, the War on Drugs perpetrated by an out of control police has devastated millions of lives, perhaps with a fallout greater than that wrought by the drugs themselves. Police are more addicted to drug war money and their GI Joe ninja SWAT outfits than your neighborhood punk is addicted to heroin.
Sad

Glastonbury, CT

#16 Dec 21, 2008
Smack has been in Glastonbury since I was in high school, 20+ years ago, but the soccer moms and social climbers have refused to acknowledge the problem, which is at EPIDEMIC stages, until 4 (not 2) local kids died of ODs.

I don't know the answer, but maybe instead of the Glastonbury Citizen writing silly common interest stories like the one last month on fortune tellers, they could give us some hard journalism about kicking this monkey off our backs.
hold on

Glastonbury, CT

#17 Dec 21, 2008
H is all over CT not just in the suburbs around cities. Very scary. We targete alcohol & cocaine. Kids went to other methods. Enact & enforce penalties for H dealers and traficers similar to those for crack. Put the deals/traficers away for an absurd amount of time. Create harsh penalties for users including public exposure. Continue alcohol education. Consider legalizing weed and regulate it like alcohol. Consider stronger regulation of the prescription business/process. To easy to get these powerful legal drugs.
courant recycles

United States

#18 Dec 21, 2008
Didn't this story run a week or so ago?

Heroin is not a new drug in the suburbs. About a decade ago, a friend got hooked on it and subsequently died. I'm sure that heroin use in the suburbs didn't start then either.

It's fine to debunk myths, but stop pretending that what you have is news. How about doing some actual research on the issue? It's a problem; it's not a new problem.
So True

Glastonbury, CT

#19 Dec 21, 2008
Sad wrote:
Smack has been in Glastonbury since I was in high school, 20+ years ago, but the soccer moms and social climbers have refused to acknowledge the problem, which is at EPIDEMIC stages, until 4 (not 2) local kids died of ODs.
I don't know the answer, but maybe instead of the Glastonbury Citizen writing silly common interest stories like the one last month on fortune tellers, they could give us some hard journalism about kicking this monkey off our backs.
Having teenagers I have to agree with what you are saying except that it is not the Soccer families. It could be any family your or mine. It is naive to think that it isn't your family. Stay as close to your kids and constantly talk with them challenge them on where they are going. I see these families who trust their kids. It is good to trust your kids but you can't thrust their friends. if your kid is going to someone's house ask if a parent is going to be there. Ask for a number and check with an adult.
Bucster

Newington, CT

#21 Dec 21, 2008
Keith Richards wrote:
Glastonbury has the best Herion anywhere. I make a trip up there everyweek and stop to see my good friend Tracy Watson. The real tragedy though is the drop in property values. Just keep the smack out of the Gold Coast down where I live.
What stupid comments.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 3 hr Levy Hater 32,029
News Teen boy in stable condition after East Side sh... 10 hr No freedom wo dis... 2
News Sex in the family bed: Does it happen? (Jul '11) 20 hr L C T 000 138
News As fire closes in their homes, neighbors turn t... Thu tellinitlikeitis 2
News Renaissance Festival (Sep '08) Wed OneWomynRiot 5
News Minnesota mom sues to redefine paternity in les... Wed Pope Closet Emeritus 3
News Gray Matters: Be healthy, avoid geezer jokes (Feb '09) Oct 18 Grandpa 99
More from around the web