Study: Gays and Lesbians Make Great Parents

Mar 12, 2013 Full story: EDGE 112

A study conducted by Cambridge University concluded that gay British parents are just as good as heterosexual parents.

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#1 Mar 12, 2013
Let the whining begin.
Francisco dAnconia

Montpelier, VT

#2 Mar 12, 2013
why whine about a BS study from the same university as the one I put up the other day and you attacked like a good doggie...

guess what, single parents often make great parents..
so what...

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#3 Mar 12, 2013
Francisco dAnconia wrote:
why whine about a BS study from the same university as the one I put up the other day and you attacked like a good doggie...
guess what, single parents often make great parents..
so what...
Sounds like the truth hurts.

The problem with academic, scientific studies is that they can be refuted. Facts don't care about firmly held religious opinions.
Francisco dAnconia

Montpelier, VT

#4 Mar 12, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like the truth hurts.
The problem with academic, scientific studies is that they can be refuted. Facts don't care about firmly held religious opinions.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9908...

Dr Patricia Morgan told the House of Commons that same-sex marriage reinforced the idea that marriage is irrelevant to parenthood.
This was the principle factor, she said, that has caused the collapse in marriage rates between heterosexuals in countries where gay marriage had been introduced - as well as a sharp rise in cohabitation and the numbers of children born out of wedlock.
She said there was no evidence whatsoever to prove the Coalition Government’s assertions that gay marriage would bolster the institution.
She made her claims in a 22-page paper submitted at the Committee Stage of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill.
It contained a detailed analysis of marriage trends in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Spain, Belgium, Canada and some U.S. states were gay marriage has been legalised."

BTW, you assuming I am religious is the same as assuming all gays supporters are gay...
unless you think you are special...

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#5 Mar 12, 2013
Francisco dAnconia wrote:
why whine about a BS study from the same university as the one I put up the other day and you attacked like a good doggie...
I'm not sure where you get the idea that Dr. Morgan's white paper was associated with Cambridge University. Dr. Morgan is a research fellow for the Society for the Study of Civil Society, and I don't believe her work carries the imprimatur of any accredited institution.

Morgan's white paper amounts to a compilation of facts, coincidences, and speculations that support her conclusion. The study referenced in this article involved following 130 actual families and evaluating the children's progress. In other words, it was a bona fide study carried out under controlled circumstances.

That's why one the Cambridge study is evidence and the Morgan study is as worthless as your own unsupported rants.
guess what, single parents often make great parents..
so what...
So what? We don't outlaw single parents because some people believe that two-parent households provide better environments. The fact is that individuals can adopt children, and you can provide no reasons why same-sex couples shouldn't also be allowed.

Uve

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#6 Mar 12, 2013
Francisco dAnconia wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9908...
Dr Patricia Morgan told the House of Commons that same-sex marriage reinforced the idea that marriage is irrelevant to parenthood.
This was the principle factor, she said, that has caused the collapse in marriage rates between heterosexuals in countries where gay marriage had been introduced - as well as a sharp rise in cohabitation and the numbers of children born out of wedlock.
She said there was no evidence whatsoever to prove the Coalition Government’s assertions that gay marriage would bolster the institution.
She made her claims in a 22-page paper submitted at the Committee Stage of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill.
It contained a detailed analysis of marriage trends in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Spain, Belgium, Canada and some U.S. states were gay marriage has been legalised."
BTW, you assuming I am religious is the same as assuming all gays supporters are gay...
unless you think you are special...
Umm..I don't think Patricia so correct, she's left out some other pertinent information. It's not all 'gay marriage' that is influencing many hetero's choice to not marry. With more women gaining equal pay, they are becoming more independent, this is especially true in China and Japan. Women are choosing to pursue career goals and marrying later in life, there have been several news articles on that alone. AND they are choosing not to have children. In Europe, and particularly in Spain, people are becoming more disillusioned with the Catholic church, not conforming to the church's push on procreation is another factor. I'm calling BS. She's not factored in any economic, population growth (or lack of in most EU countries) or age data in this study. I think it's pure Hyperbole.

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#7 Mar 12, 2013
Francisco dAnconia wrote:
why whine about a BS study from the same university as the one I put up the other day and you attacked like a good doggie...
guess what, single parents often make great parents..
so what...
So there's no reason to deny adoption to gays and lesbians.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#8 Mar 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure where you get the idea that Dr. Morgan's white paper was associated with Cambridge University. Dr. Morgan is a research fellow for the Society for the Study of Civil Society, and I don't believe her work carries the imprimatur of any accredited institution.
Morgan's white paper amounts to a compilation of facts, coincidences, and speculations that support her conclusion. The study referenced in this article involved following 130 actual families and evaluating the children's progress. In other words, it was a bona fide study carried out under controlled circumstances.
That's why one the Cambridge study is evidence and the Morgan study is as worthless as your own unsupported rants.
<quoted text>
So what? We don't outlaw single parents because some people believe that two-parent households provide better environments. The fact is that individuals can adopt children, and you can provide no reasons why same-sex couples shouldn't also be allowed.
Thank you.

An opinion piece from a right wing think tank has nothing to do with a scientific study. The false claims of Morgan have already been refuted in court as well as in science.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#9 Mar 12, 2013
"Conclusion:

Overall, there is no evidence that giving partnership rights to same-sex couples had any impact on heterosexual marriage in Scandinavia. Marriage rates, divorce rates, and non-marital birth rates have been changing in Scandinavia, Europe, and the United States for the past thirty years. But those changes have occurred in all countries, regardless of whether or not they adopted same-sex partnership laws. Furthermore, the legal and cultural context in the United States gives many more incentives for heterosexual couples to marry than in Europe, and those incentives will still exist even if same-sex couples can marry. Giving same-sex couples marriage or marriage-like rights has not undermined heterosexual marriage in Europe, and it is not likely to do so in the United States."

http://www.contemporaryfamilies.org/marriage-...
Francisco dAnconia

Montpelier, VT

#10 Mar 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>

So what? We don't outlaw single parents because some people believe that two-parent households provide better environments.
we don't incentivise it like we do with marriage though...

we don't honor it like we do marriage...
ya know, all the reasons YOU want marriage?
Francisco dAnconia

Montpelier, VT

#11 Mar 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure where you get the idea that Dr. Morgan's white paper was associated with Cambridge University.
You are correct. I made that allusion and it was not true.
I made a mistake there...
ho boy, bring the noise!

Just as you scramble to provided alternative reasons fo rthe conclusions and attack the methods, you deny those same attacks on your "science". Which like today always has a new 60 couple "study" of self reporting to advertise...
"cloaking" itself in the veil of science in just the same way...
Francisco dAnconia

Montpelier, VT

#12 Mar 12, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>

An opinion piece from a right wing think tank has nothing to do with a scientific study. The false claims of Morgan have already been refuted in court as well as in science.
really?

show me where...
I think you just write this stock language about anything with which you disagree...

it was an opinion piece ABOUT the analysis...
Francisco dAnconia

Montpelier, VT

#13 Mar 12, 2013
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>
So there's no reason to deny adoption to gays and lesbians.
unless there is an equally qualified couple that provides both a mom AND dad...
same as for singles...

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#14 Mar 12, 2013
Francisco dAnconia wrote:
<quoted text>
unless there is an equally qualified couple that provides both a mom AND dad...
same as for singles...
Often, there aren't any other qualified families willing to adopt the children in question. In that case, the best interests of the child should override dogmatic objections to same-sex parentage.

Here's a perfect example of bigotry in action--hurting children more than their same-sex parents--which you ostensibly support: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130307/O...
Francisco dAnconia

Montpelier, VT

#15 Mar 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Often, there aren't any other qualified families willing to adopt the children in question. In that case, the best interests of the child should override dogmatic objections to same-sex parentage.
Here's a perfect example of bigotry in action--hurting children more than their same-sex parents--which you ostensibly support: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130307/O...
umm, seems to me they have the kids and they are doing fine except for some hurt feeling on the part of the gals...
put another way, do you think it matters to the kids what the two women call themselves?

even they say "Getting married would be a bonus for us"

surely this is not your example of actual HARM is it?

indeed, as I have said many times, 1 parent is better than none, two is better than 1 and one of each beats a pair...
Peggy

Alexandria, VA

#16 Mar 12, 2013
What'd you expect them to say, homosexuals did the study. Not hard to figure out what their conclusion would be.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#18 Mar 12, 2013
Francisco dAnconia wrote:
<quoted text>
umm, seems to me they have the kids and they are doing fine except for some hurt feeling on the part of the gals...
put another way, do you think it matters to the kids what the two women call themselves?
even they say "Getting married would be a bonus for us"
surely this is not your example of actual HARM is it?
indeed, as I have said many times, 1 parent is better than none, two is better than 1 and one of each beats a pair...
Yes, there is harm. The children suffer the protections afforded by having two legal parents. Should something happen to one of them, the family would suffer, at minimum, a financial disadvantage. They could also be torn apart since the remaining parent is a legal stranger to the other's child. There is likely on-going financial harm as one of the partners is not working and cannot be claimed as a dependent. Nor can her child.

And yes, the children understand better than you the significance of marriage. They care that their parents are denied the privilege of a publicly recognized declaration of their mutual commitment.
Francisco dAnconia

Montpelier, VT

#19 Mar 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Should something happen to one of them, the family would suffer, at minimum, a financial disadvantage.
There is likely on-going financial harm

They care that their parents are denied the privilege of a publicly recognized declaration of their mutual commitment.
whats the big harm? MONEY.
You said it haus.

not a very compelling "rights" argument...

I am sure the "financial" harm they face is really as important as spongebob...

so, your story kinda shows your horrors kinda aren't...

BTW, are you suggesting either parent couldn't appoint a guardian at their death like every other parent? or have a will?or title their house JOINTLY, or set up a legal PARTNERSHIP with their assets...even on the money issue, your defense is laziness or that you should have to!
not very compelling to overturn society's will...
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Mar 12, 2013
I know a few really good gay parents, one has a son in college and is fostering a second.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#21 Mar 12, 2013
Francisco dAnconia wrote:
why whine about a BS study from the same university as the one I put up the other day and you attacked like a good doggie...
guess what, single parents often make great parents..
so what...
What study from Cambridge did you put up?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lost teens found in the dark 50 min NZ lets piss it off 1
Divorce Law Out Of Synch With Same-Sex Marriage 1 hr Fundies R Mentall... 41
Government funds lawyers for immigrant kids 1 hr Delbert 8
Family was the greatest love of David Harris' life 4 hr Shame Shame 1
Playground may go in Dogwood Park 4 hr Dogwood Park Park 1
CLE doc: Vaccinate kids; autism fears unfounded 6 hr MMR causes Autism 3
From Amish to Ozarks, not the same old stories (Jun '08) 8 hr TDSB 15

Family People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE