Students On Board In 2-Bus Accident In Antioch

Sep 11, 2013 Full story: CBS Local 34

Two Antioch Upper Grade School school buses fully loaded with children to take home were involved in a collision with each other Tuesday.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
rez

Round Lake, IL

#1 Sep 12, 2013
Much ado about nothing. Lets all blow this way out of proportion. This was a minor fender bender and people are going nuts about it. No injuries, everyone was OK. Let's move along people.
Pink Lady 86

Chicago, IL

#2 Sep 12, 2013
How would you feel if you child had been on the bus and had not been checked out? They should have contacted the police and fire dept and had those kids and bus drivers checked out. Let the Fire Dept. do their job and let them be the ones to determine if they are okay. Lack of judgement on their part. Always better to be safe than sorry.
Cantelope

Round Lake, IL

#3 Sep 12, 2013
Pink Lady 86 wrote:
How would you feel if you child had been on the bus and had not been checked out? They should have contacted the police and fire dept and had those kids and bus drivers checked out. Let the Fire Dept. do their job and let them be the ones to determine if they are okay. Lack of judgement on their part. Always better to be safe than sorry.
Yes! Let's call the FBI, the CIA, let's interrogate and interview all the children! OMG, my child could have gotten a bruise when that bus bumped into the other one! Grow up people, your kid was in more danger riding his bike down the street yesterday.
Pink Lady 86

Toledo, OH

#4 Sep 12, 2013
Cantelope wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! Let's call the FBI, the CIA, let's interrogate and interview all the children! OMG, my child could have gotten a bruise when that bus bumped into the other one! Grow up people, your kid was in more danger riding his bike down the street yesterday.
Either way you look at it, the situation was handled all wrong. You would singing a different tune if your child had been on the bus and had not been checked out and had an injury. THANK God no one was hurt.
Cantelope

Round Lake, IL

#5 Sep 12, 2013
Pink Lady 86 wrote:
<quoted text>
Either way you look at it, the situation was handled all wrong. You would singing a different tune if your child had been on the bus and had not been checked out and had an injury. THANK God no one was hurt.
IT WAS A FENDER BENDER, GET OVER IT! NO ONE WAS HURT, NOTHING TO EVEN DISCUSS! Find an issue that REALLY matters. This is a non-issue.
JUSTICE

Antioch, IL

#6 Sep 12, 2013
Hey folks, including you soothe sayers, the law is specific on this issue. District 34 erred in not IMMEDIATELY calling APD and AFD. There are many good reasons for the law, and it needs to be followed to the letter to insure that everyone is actually OK and to insure that everything is documented for possible future litigation. Further, the law requires the drivers be immediately removed from the buses and tested for drugs and alcohol. Those actions limit liability for the school district and help insure both the immediate and future safety of all students.

I don't have a child in District 34 so I don't have any ax to grind one way or the other, but the law is the law. I am sure District 34 already gets this and is updating their procedures.
Cantelope

Round Lake, IL

#7 Sep 13, 2013
JUSTICE wrote:
Hey folks, including you soothe sayers, the law is specific on this issue. District 34 erred in not IMMEDIATELY calling APD and AFD. There are many good reasons for the law, and it needs to be followed to the letter to insure that everyone is actually OK and to insure that everything is documented for possible future litigation. Further, the law requires the drivers be immediately removed from the buses and tested for drugs and alcohol. Those actions limit liability for the school district and help insure both the immediate and future safety of all students.
I don't have a child in District 34 so I don't have any ax to grind one way or the other, but the law is the law. I am sure District 34 already gets this and is updating their procedures.
Yep, that is what is wrong with this country. Lets call the fire department, police, fbi, and anyone else whenever there is a 3 MPH bus incident. Ridiculous laws when common sense should prevail.
Pink Lady 86

United States

#8 Sep 13, 2013
If you read the latest article there were some injuries. Any parent of a Dist. 34 student should be upset the way it was handled especially those parents whose children were on those 2 buses. Fender bender or not, it was handled wrong.
Cantelope

Mchenry, IL

#9 Sep 14, 2013
Yes! I know, I will take my kid to the emergency room to check on his condition after that 3MPH accident. Then, I can sue! Yay America! Idiots.
Marvin

Chicago, IL

#11 Sep 15, 2013
Cantelope wrote:
Yes! I know, I will take my kid to the emergency room to check on his condition after that 3MPH accident. Then, I can sue! Yay America! Idiots.
I am sorry you are having difficulty understanding the actual issues surrounding this I get your point but you are not thinking this through completely.
Cantelope

Round Lake, IL

#12 Sep 15, 2013
Marvin wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry you are having difficulty understanding the actual issues surrounding this I get your point but you are not thinking this through completely.
Yes I am. Minor accident, no injuries. Not much else to think about.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#13 Sep 16, 2013
Cantelope wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to agree. We seem to overreact on all so many levels when common sense tells us this is no big deal. Instead we have so many regulations and laws we sometimes have to throw common sense out the window.

I agree this was just a minor fender bender that we should have never even heard about. Instead, it's on the news and we are still talking about it almost a week later.
Reader

United States

#14 Sep 16, 2013
Cantelope wrote:
<quoted text>
How dare you attempt to diminish the details of this horrific crime by attempting to thwart us with common sense!
JUSTICE

Antioch, IL

#15 Sep 16, 2013
Many of you are missing the point:

We live in a litigious society. Documenting what happened using services that are already paid for (APD and AFD) makes complete sense for all involved. Further, State and Federal law requires that school bus drivers involved in accidents be immediately given tests for alcohol and drugs. If you have a problem with common sense, I apologize for inconveniencing you with reality.

One man's fender bender is another man's lawsuit. If I were in charge of District 34, and would want all the documented FACTS possible. Further, as a parent, I would have been grateful for a double check by competent medically qualified personnel. Remember that there are no seat belts in school buses, and any impact strong enough to rupture a radiator certainly had the potential to throw children forward or around. Even if my kid says he is fine to look tough and cool to his friends, I still want an objective and qualified ADULT to make sure before sending him off. That lets most of you out of the equation.
Cantelope

Mchenry, IL

#16 Sep 16, 2013
JUSTICE wrote:
Many of you are missing the point:
We live in a litigious society. Documenting what happened using services that are already paid for (APD and AFD) makes complete sense for all involved. Further, State and Federal law requires that school bus drivers involved in accidents be immediately given tests for alcohol and drugs. If you have a problem with common sense, I apologize for inconveniencing you with reality.
One man's fender bender is another man's lawsuit. If I were in charge of District 34, and would want all the documented FACTS possible. Further, as a parent, I would have been grateful for a double check by competent medically qualified personnel. Remember that there are no seat belts in school buses, and any impact strong enough to rupture a radiator certainly had the potential to throw children forward or around. Even if my kid says he is fine to look tough and cool to his friends, I still want an objective and qualified ADULT to make sure before sending him off. That lets most of you out of the equation.
LOL, no, it's people like YOU that are the problem. I'm guessing a lawyer? Throw common sense out the window and start blah blah blahing on and on and on over NOTHING. Unfortunately, you are unable to see how RIDICULOUS you sound. Too funny!

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#17 Sep 16, 2013
Cantelope wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, no, it's people like YOU that are the problem. I'm guessing a lawyer? Throw common sense out the window and start blah blah blahing on and on and on over NOTHING. Unfortunately, you are unable to see how RIDICULOUS you sound. Too funny!
Guess who would be first in line for a lawsuit, lol. It's people like him/her that have made this society so litigious. It's unfortunate that some people would prefer to look up rules, regulations, laws, etc. instead of seeing this as it is. A small, minor accident.
Cantelope

Round Lake, IL

#18 Sep 16, 2013
WaywardDaughter wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess who would be first in line for a lawsuit, lol. It's people like him/her that have made this society so litigious. It's unfortunate that some people would prefer to look up rules, regulations, laws, etc. instead of seeing this as it is. A small, minor accident.
ha ha! YES "I would prefer my child be checked by medically qualified personnel after that 3MPH accident" LOL. Then when I get home I send the kids off on their skateboards to play in the street. That crap nonsense is whats wrong with people in this country.
JUSTICE

Antioch, IL

#19 Sep 17, 2013
Cantelope wrote:
<quoted text>
I get your point about overkill. What you don't get it that it is only overkill until it is under-kill. At that point, my guess is you would be first in line to collect the money. I am not a lawyer. I am merely someone who can see both sides of the issue. That makes one of us.
abc

Chicago, IL

#20 Sep 17, 2013
Cantelope wrote:
<quoted text>
IT WAS A FENDER BENDER, GET OVER IT! NO ONE WAS HURT, NOTHING TO EVEN DISCUSS! Find an issue that REALLY matters. This is a non-issue.
It IS and issue. The law is the LAW, and the school BROKE THE LAW. Something should be done about that. You're an idiot.
concerned citizen

Fox Lake, IL

#21 Sep 17, 2013
well in a state where seat belt,s are mandatory why is there not seat belts on school bus,s??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science vs. sentiment 31 min anothervoice 18
Islam Educated Me 1 hr Rusty Tin Can 1
Judge: Portsmouth children pulled from abusive ... 2 hr twosides 9
Drug Rehab Butler Beach Brings Hope to Teen Add... 3 hr Sur 13 Beat 1
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 3 hr thank you 31,265
Australian road safety group donates helmets to... 4 hr bac ky luu phan boi 1
HANOI: Child heart disease sees steady rise in ... 4 hr bac ky luu phan boi 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Family People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••