Parent to ask for review of Vallejo s...

Parent to ask for review of Vallejo schools' alternative lifestyle 'respect' material

There are 47 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Oct 20, 2010, titled Parent to ask for review of Vallejo schools' alternative lifestyle 'respect' material. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

Vallejo parent Helenmarie "Cookie" Gordon will ask the school board tonight to allow parents to review materials used in the district's "Respect for Differences" lesson before their children see them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Thank you Ms Cookie

Vallejo, CA

#44 Dec 23, 2010
‎~ I just said this very thing ....Listen to the part Mr Legend says about our today's schools are they really making ur schools "Drop Out Factory"???~ For Low Income/ some Races Students????
And This my Thought: That WE PARENTS & FAMILY M...EMBERS NEED TO BE MORE INVOLVED WITH OUR CHILDREN SCHOOL... SEEING WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND LEARNING~ & HOW CAN WE HELP~
~ To make sure that our K-12 grades Schools care that ALL RACE OF Children have a Chance to go to a 4 year Colleges & be able to complete it, by getting them REALLY ready... so we are not housing a "Drop Out Factory" and teaching Our Children what they want to know & making money off of them and there is not more $$$$$'s per student.. they make it way for them to drop out.....Don't just trust the schools to care ...We must be the Voices~ Thank you John Legend for your VOICE~
The Historian wrote:
This is typical of public schools. Core curriculum is downplayed so that "respect" lessons can take up valuable and vitally needed classroom time.
Compared to the rest of the civilized world American kids continue to fall behind the curve in basic education. Twenty-fifth and twenty-first rankings in math and science. Pathetic.
All the while, our kids rank first in "confidence". Thus they feel good about themselves even though their achievement levels are awful and leave nothing to be confident about going forward. What a mess.
People need to see the documentary 'Waiting For "Superman"'. Here is the link for the trailer: http://film.waitingforsuperman.com/videos .
This film highlights the problems with public education in America and provides the necessary solutions. "Respect" training is not among the solutions, but it is clearly part of the problem.
Thank you Ms Cookie

Vallejo, CA

#45 Dec 23, 2010
‎~I just said this very thing Respect For All but is it really happing?....Listen to the part Mr Legend says about our today's schools are they really making ur schools "Drop Out Factory" ~ For Low Income/ some Races Students????
And This my Thought:
That WE PARENTS & FAMILY MEMBERS NEED TO BE MORE INVOLVED WITH OUR CHILDREN SCHOOL... SEEING WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND LEARNING~ & HOW CAN WE HELP~
~ To make sure that our K-12 grades Schools care that ALL RACE OF Children have a Chance to go to a 4 year Colleges & be able to complete it, by getting them REALLY ready... so we are not housing a "Drop Out Factory" and teaching Our Children what they want to know & making money off of them and there is not more $$$$$'s per student.. they make it way for them to drop out.....Don't just trust the schools to care ...We must be the Voices~ Thank you John Legend for your VOICE~
The Historian wrote:
This is typical of public schools. Core curriculum is downplayed so that "respect" lessons can take up valuable and vitally needed classroom time.
Compared to the rest of the civilized world American kids continue to fall behind the curve in basic education. Twenty-fifth and twenty-first rankings in math and science. Pathetic.
All the while, our kids rank first in "confidence". Thus they feel good about themselves even though their achievement levels are awful and leave nothing to be confident about going forward. What a mess.
People need to see the documentary 'Waiting For "Superman"'. Here is the link for the trailer: http://film.waitingforsuperman.com/videos .
This film highlights the problems with public education in America and provides the necessary solutions. "Respect For LGBTQ" training is not among the solutions, but it is clearly part of the problem.
Wow

Vallejo, CA

#46 Dec 23, 2010
I am The Parent wrote:
~ I am also part of the schools, also my son and I was at the broad last year to help save his school and band.
Wow ,I sure hope your not an english teacher ?
Thank you Ms Cookie

Vallejo, CA

#47 Dec 23, 2010
Native Vallejoan wrote:
"Opt out" to what? Most of the parents don't have the resources to put their kids into private schools. If every parent could teach their kids not to bully/harass the "different" kids, then there would be no problem. Bigotry starts in the home. Just like the thug/criminal culture, the kids will emulate what they see and hear in the home. You don't need to have or be a psychologist to uncover crummy parents. It usually rears it's ugly head on a daily basis by the parents and their children.
and you should know right.... because you sound so dumb right now... it is that parents right to do what she feel is right for her family. NOT YOUR CRAZY self....
huh

Vallejo, CA

#48 Dec 26, 2010
Thank you Ms Cookie wrote:
<quoted text>
and you should know right.... because you sound so dumb right now... it is that parents right to do what she feel is right for her family. NOT YOUR CRAZY self....
Funny that you call NV crazy !She/he made perfect sense to Me ,unlike yourself .
thank you

United States

#49 Feb 14, 2013
Thank you very much I appreciate that support~
bml wrote:
as an employee we had addressed concern that parents needed the ability to see this video before their student did. We were also told ---that there was not ability to opt out.
Parents do need to review this material----------they need to have the discussion with their own child etc.
Hats off to Ms. Gordon for stepping up on behalf of all parents in the district, if you were to reveiw the material you will be telling her THANK YOU.

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

#50 Feb 14, 2013
what amazes me is how the christians are the ones who actually reject tollerance and acceptance and promote bullying... so much for the future of that ill religion

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 4 hr thetruth 19
News Treating ED in teens key for future well-being (Mar '09) 5 hr williamssmith1n 25
News Transgender clinic opens 6 hr huey goins 35
News How Autistic People Helped Shape the Modern World 7 hr friend 9
News State: 67 percent of Washington toddlers vaccin... 12 hr VACCINES AGAIN 1
News Gay marriage ruling in Kentucky upheld 17 hr !!! 4
News Many kids fall through gaps in dental care (May '14) Thu alicialee0310 20
More from around the web