Bill Would End Life Prison Terms for Teens

Full story: News10 Sacramento

Research that suggests the need for legislation to end life prison terms for teenagers has a state lawmaker responding.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of94
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Nov 07

Sacramento

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Well boo freakin hoo. If they had any sense of remorse for what they did in the first place while in prison, they'd just save us all the trouble and end it themselves. As a victim of a violent crime, I feel no compassion towards these animals.
Pete

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Yee is just another liberal freak from San Fransicko...

“Ah, don't listen to me. ”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Already, we let hardened criminals out early. Now we have to let the ones who deserve a life sentence out early too?

Something is definitely wrong. This bill shouldn't pass.

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

So ultimately what we will have to contend with is a 40-something convict that has been schooled by veteran convicts, honed their criminal skills, first in Youth Authority and then the real penitentiary and THEN we will let them out. They will no doubt all make a valuable contribution to society at that late point in their lives!!! This is laughable if it weren't real. I say HELL NO!!!!

Since: Oct 07

Sometimes the truth hurts!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

If they do it they need to pay for the crime by doing this they just told them its ok to go kill someone!!
Mouser

Ceres, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

i watch crime wrote:
So ultimately what we will have to contend with is a 40-something convict that has been schooled by veteran convicts, honed their criminal skills, first in Youth Authority and then the real penitentiary and THEN we will let them out. They will no doubt all make a valuable contribution to society at that late point in their lives!!! This is laughable if it weren't real. I say HELL NO!!!!
You are SO RIGHT. I don't care how young they were when they took someone's life. Murderers don't deserve freedom - EVER.
PeteTheKnuckleDr agger

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Pete wrote:
Yee is just another liberal freak from San Fransicko...
As opposed to a pot bellied redneck from the craphole known as Modesto?
anna

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Jeff B from Sacramento wrote:
Well boo freakin hoo. If they had any sense of remorse for what they did in the first place while in prison, they'd just save us all the trouble and end it themselves. As a victim of a violent crime, I feel no compassion towards these animals.
I agree!Those that were killed are never going to get another chance.
Just Me

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

This just sickens me. Why the he** should they be given another chance? I'll tell you what take the scum that killed my brother to his ashes and when they bring him back to life, they can have their life. I am so sick of these parents saying that their child was "such a good kid, he just made a mistake." Well screw your sons & daughters. They did not make a mistake they killed somebody becasue they are losers that need to be put to death. I really don't care how good of a prisoner somebody is...ROT IN JAIL YOU SCUM OF THE EARTH

I don't hold a grudge or anything
Jackie

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Let us try to keep from name calling, please. This is a terrible bill that would be releasing a mass of hardened criminals into our neighborhoods. I think the bleeding heart lawmaker who is pushing this bill should volunteer their home as a half way house for these fine, misunderstood individuals. Let them be responsible for the failure or success of these murderers and then see how excited they are to let them out. Bills like these pass without us voters having a voice and that too is criminal. Love those politicians!
Lucy

Paradise, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

I think it's a good thing. I realize some families who had a loved one that was killed by a child may not think so but, keeping a juvenile in prison for life is not going to bring your loved one back. I know someone killed my son 4 years ago and we never found the person who did it. So what do you do? Do you hate and become bitter or do you forgive and move on? Somehow I believe my son would want us to move on. Do I wish the person who killed my son was convicted? Sure I do. But if it was a child, I don't even think my son would want to see that perosn in prison forever. My son was't given a chance but I believe in my heart if he could speak to me he would say give him/her a chance Mom. If this law is passed I hope it is retro active for those kids who have already served most of their lives behind prison walls. There are many adults now that were children when they went to prison. I hope they too are given a second chance.

“Ah, don't listen to me. ”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Lucy wrote:
I think it's a good thing. I realize some families who had a loved one that was killed by a child may not think so but, keeping a juvenile in prison for life is not going to bring your loved one back. I know someone killed my son 4 years ago and we never found the person who did it. So what do you do? Do you hate and become bitter or do you forgive and move on? Somehow I believe my son would want us to move on. Do I wish the person who killed my son was convicted? Sure I do. But if it was a child, I don't even think my son would want to see that perosn in prison forever. My son was't given a chance but I believe in my heart if he could speak to me he would say give him/her a chance Mom. If this law is passed I hope it is retro active for those kids who have already served most of their lives behind prison walls. There are many adults now that were children when they went to prison. I hope they too are given a second chance.
I don't hate the people, but I understand why people shouldn't be let out. I am not bitter about it one bit. Think again Lucy.

I just don't feel sorry for them either. I can't. I feel more for the lives these people have snuffed out. Think again Lucy.
Willies Cons

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

So if you were fourteen, and your mother sold you to a pimp for drugs, and you had to perform sexual acts at that age of 14. And the only way out was for her boyfriend to kill her pimp and she got life without parole. So you think she doesn't deserve a second chance. I can't think of a more deserving person who does deserve another chance at free life. This is a true story.
john

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

take a life and yours is over. No i'am sorry bull shit.
Not in PH

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

I love this quote from the article -

"Most children simply don't have the mental capacity as a teenager to understand what they're doing when they commit crimes."

Really?! What sort of teenagers have YOU been talking to, Mr. Yee? Because I was very aware of the differences between right and wrong when I was a teen, and I imagine everyone on this forum was, too. That doesn't mean I was an angel, but I sure as heck knew better than to kill someone...or hire someone else to do it.

Give me a break!

And I totally agree with -
i watch crime wrote:
mmm

Auburn, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Willies Cons wrote:
So if you were fourteen, and your mother sold you to a pimp for drugs, and you had to perform sexual acts at that age of 14. And the only way out was for her boyfriend to kill her pimp and she got life without parole. So you think she doesn't deserve a second chance. I can't think of a more deserving person who does deserve another chance at free life. This is a true story.
Nope, second chances are for those that OBEY the law. Not kill because they think it is right.
Pete

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

PeteTheKnuckleDragger wrote:
<quoted text>
Haaaaa...good one....I like that

“Happily Married To The Best”

Since: Sep 07

Sacramento, Ca

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

I will never forget the day my brother was murdered. It was 3 weeks before my 15th bday. He never got a chance to sing me happy bday or watch me and my sister grow up cuz some selfish idiot decided to take him out. Our mother still cries for my brother who was never given a chance. His murder is still unsolved 5 years later. Do people understand a mother's sorrow? Keep these animals in prison.
Raiderfan

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

This is a if/and/or/but. "If" you've had a loved one killed by a juvenile then you want life "and" have them never see the light of day; "or" possibly have someone snuff them out while they're in the joint; "but" on the other hand it won't bring your loved one back and the killer was only a kid. This is a tough one. For every kid who kills and gets locked up there's 1,000 more to take his place. Locking them all up for life only increases prison population, and in return costs us taxpayers more and more money. They'll never be enough prisons to accomodate every criminal and there will always be criminals on the streets. It's true most convicts wont'/can't be reformed but there is a very small percentage who will/can. I can't say I'm for or against this, but I am for capitol punishment.
Pab

Auburn, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

PeteTheKnuckleDragger wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, we must agree that San Francisco is sort of the cradle of the unique. I think they really believe that if a 14 to 17 year old kills you that you're not as dead as if say a 40 year old killed you. Is that a logical assumption?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of94
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••