Smithton School District asks voters ...

Smithton School District asks voters for $12 million in bonds to build new school

There are 10 comments on the Belleville News Democrat story from Mar 24, 2013, titled Smithton School District asks voters for $12 million in bonds to build new school. In it, Belleville News Democrat reports that:

Chris Schenewerk felt so passionate about Smithton School District 130's need for a new middle school and upgrades to the existing school that he resigned his post as school board president to devote the last several months to informing the community about the bond issue the district is asking voters to approve on April 9. The district is seeking ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Belleville News Democrat.

Frustrated

Kansas City, KS

#1 Mar 25, 2013
If Dr. Schenewerk was so passionate about the education of the Smithton School District why did he choose to step down Now during his last months serving on the school board ( the School Board elections are this April also) VS years ago when he was 1st elected into an overcrowded school way back then? Would he not have had several years to convince and inform the public of the need VS just blindsiding the community with information over the last few months and rushing us into a vote? Who really has time to digest all the back and forth info? This is a huge financial decision with long term effects either way. There are Pros and Cons to every debate. This whole school bond issue just seems rushed. I hope i can make the right vote. An April 9th vote in the best interest for our kids and town. Even thou I've not yet digested the mouthfuls I've been fed I will try to make an educated informative choice.
tax poor

Mount Vernon, MO

#2 Mar 26, 2013
Frustrated wrote:
If Dr. Schenewerk was so passionate about the education of the Smithton School District why did he choose to step down Now during his last months serving on the school board ( the School Board elections are this April also) VS years ago when he was 1st elected into an overcrowded school way back then? Would he not have had several years to convince and inform the public of the need VS just blindsiding the community with information over the last few months and rushing us into a vote? Who really has time to digest all the back and forth info? This is a huge financial decision with long term effects either way. There are Pros and Cons to every debate. This whole school bond issue just seems rushed. I hope i can make the right vote. An April 9th vote in the best interest for our kids and town. Even thou I've not yet digested the mouthfuls I've been fed I will try to make an educated informative choice.
I think his decision was made so he could regain popularity. His kids dont even go there anymore. Isnt anyone paying attention to all the layoffs in schools around the area? The state is broke and cant afford the debts it has already. Now is not the right time to build. Find another way.
Frustrated

Kansas City, KS

#3 Mar 27, 2013
tax poor wrote:
<quoted text> I think his decision was made so he could regain popularity. His kids dont even go there anymore. Isnt anyone paying attention to all the layoffs in schools around the area? The state is broke and cant afford the debts it has already. Now is not the right time to build. Find another way.
I thought he was already popular? I hear his name often in discussions and he is the towns doctor. I'm not sure trying to convince the Smithton voters to vote Yes on such a bad idea is the way to gain oopularity. I also agree with you and I am worried. I have kids in the district now and hope the school doesn't have to lay off teachers or cut programs. I've been reading the papers and it seems Illinois and especially St. Clair school districts are being hit the hardest.
Overtaxed

Belleville, IL

#4 Apr 3, 2013
His reasoning in the article is garbage.

1: He states the temporary classroom "not the safest place for students" - then why are they there now?
2: He states, "Young people move to communities because of education. It's very hard to convince a family if you have an overcrowded school" - maybe so, but if they can not afford the taxes in the community they will move there either.
3: Bond rate remians historically low -$202 per year on 100K home. It is a couple hundred dollars added the rest of the increased daily expesses such as gas near $4.00 per gallon, the approximate $1.7K annual increase for the health insurance to visit his Doctor's office. You get the idea. 56 Cents a day may not matter him but I bet many in the village need that 56 cents.
Done with nit wits

Smithton, IL

#5 Apr 4, 2013
No the rate will not go up to $200 a year for a 100k home. It will go up $200 for an assessed value of 300k. assessed value is less than the actual market value. So an average home in the area will be paying $11 a month. A family can't cut out going to fast food once a month for a better school for their kids. I think not. If you are so OVERTAXED then move to MO. Where you have to pay for personal property tax there. I moved to IL from MO because I broke even on taxes. You live in IL you have higher property taxes. Everyone that moves here or looking here knows that. If you have problems with your insurance take it up with your employer don't blame Schenewerk. I think stepping down shows how much he wants the project so he could run the campaign. By being on the board he couldn't. If you don't like him fine but don't project that attitude to something that is needed to bring new buyers to the area.
Not a nit wit

Belleville, IL

#6 Apr 4, 2013
Done with nit wits wrote:
No the rate will not go up to $200 a year for a 100k home. It will go up $200 for an assessed value of 300k. assessed value is less than the actual market value. So an average home in the area will be paying $11 a month. A family can't cut out going to fast food once a month for a better school for their kids. I think not. If you are so OVERTAXED then move to MO. Where you have to pay for personal property tax there. I moved to IL from MO because I broke even on taxes. You live in IL you have higher property taxes. Everyone that moves here or looking here knows that. If you have problems with your insurance take it up with your employer don't blame Schenewerk. I think stepping down shows how much he wants the project so he could run the campaign. By being on the board he couldn't. If you don't like him fine but don't project that attitude to something that is needed to bring new buyers to the area.
Please stop lying and learn the facts. It is $224.98/$100,000 of market value of your home, per year. And please stop calling people names.
Informed voter

Belleville, IL

#7 Apr 4, 2013
Done with nit wits wrote:
No the rate will not go up to $200 a year for a 100k home. It will go up $200 for an assessed value of 300k. assessed value is less than the actual market value. So an average home in the area will be paying $11 a month. A family can't cut out going to fast food once a month for a better school for their kids. I think not. If you are so OVERTAXED then move to MO. Where you have to pay for personal property tax there. I moved to IL from MO because I broke even on taxes. You live in IL you have higher property taxes. Everyone that moves here or looking here knows that. If you have problems with your insurance take it up with your employer don't blame Schenewerk. I think stepping down shows how much he wants the project so he could run the campaign. By being on the board he couldn't. If you don't like him fine but don't project that attitude to something that is needed to bring new buyers to the area.
We can't go on the hope that "if we build it they will come". With the way the state is financially and already reducing the amounts sent to the school, how can we financially support 2 schools. Last year's budget was already at a deficit. Also, if you are going to quote something, please get the facts straight, It's $200 per $100k assessed. Which will be around $600 for a $300k assessed home. This is not a good choice financially for Smithton.
Done with nit wits

Belleville, IL

#8 Apr 4, 2013
I just wanted to post an apology. I clearly don't know what I'm talking about, and I am COMPLETLY MISINFORMED!!!! I apologize from the bottom of my heart. I also should state that I shouldn't even voice my opinion since I clearly have no respect for my civic duty to vote, for I am not even a registered voter in Smithton.
Concerned

Smithton, IL

#9 Apr 4, 2013
Done with nit wits wrote:
I just wanted to post an apology. I clearly don't know what I'm talking about, and I am COMPLETLY MISINFORMED!!!! I apologize Fromm drama the bottom of my heart. I also should state that I shouldn't even voice my opinion since I clearly have no respect for my civic duty to vote, for I am not even a registered voter in Smithton.
Just go back to Mo, we don't need you're drama! Your husband didn't want higher taxes in the beginning! Enough said when this is over we all still live here!
IDK

Belleville, IL

#10 Apr 22, 2013
He cant run his own life so how can he run a marketing campaign for a new school?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Girl Scout murders revisited (Jun '07) 3 hr obieone 255
News Man accused of stalking mom, masturbating in vi... 11 hr schiz 5
News Gay Israeli Celebs Decry Same-Sex Adoption Ban 12 hr Wrong Move 5
News Church offers free school supplies (Aug '09) 23 hr Nubui 104
News Students warned to prove Texas residence or leave (Sep '09) Wed Laredo 26
News Kids get bored after just ten days of the summe... Wed a_visitor 7
News Gray Matters: Be healthy, avoid geezer jokes (Feb '09) Wed Mail order bride 95
More from around the web