In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong

Dec 13, 2012 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.theatlantic.com

In the 1960s and '70s, towns across the South created inexpensive private schools to keep white students from having to mix with black.

took LaToysha Brown 13 years to realize how little interaction she had with white peers in her Mississippi Delta town: not at church, not at school, not at anywhere. The realization dawned when she was in the seventh grade, studying the civil rights movement at an after-school program called the Sunflower County Freedom Project. It didn't bother her at first. By high school, however, Brown had started to wonder if separate could ever be equal.

Comments
101 - 120 of 370 Comments Last updated Jun 30, 2014

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#105 Jan 8, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care. I do like pointing out you are a racist. That I do care about.
I have no biases against anyone based on their race.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#106 Jan 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>I have no biases against anyone based on their race.
you sure sound like it. Everything with you is race race race. Racism is never going to end with that attitude. When people disagree with policies and the direction the prez is taking the country it is not racism. It is always easier for a scoundrel like you to claim racism and dismiss the issues. It is harder to refute the issues raised. It is the typical liberal play. Dismiss the person as racist, radical, etc and then you don't have to address what they say. So that's what you do. Yet there are real very serious issues with the way this fool is running or should I say ruining the country. So you worry about race. I will worry about what really matters.

Tawas City, Michigan

#107 Jan 8, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
you sure sound like it. Everything with you is race race race. Racism is never going to end with that attitude. When people disagree with policies and the direction the prez is taking the country it is not racism. It is always easier for a scoundrel like you to claim racism and dismiss the issues. It is harder to refute the issues raised. It is the typical liberal play. Dismiss the person as racist, radical, etc and then you don't have to address what they say. So that's what you do. Yet there are real very serious issues with the way this fool is running or should I say ruining the country. So you worry about race. I will worry about what really matters.
The President is doing exactly what we elected him to do.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#108 Jan 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>The President is doing exactly what we elected him to do.
destroy the country? I didn't realise that is what we elected him to do.

Tawas City, Michigan

#109 Jan 8, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
destroy the country? I didn't realise that is what we elected him to do.
America seems just fine to me. I guess it's all about perspective.

So you can be miserable for the next 4 years while I'll continue to celebrate.

Then when we elect Hillary in 2016 I'll be celebrating again while you no doubt will continue to be miserable.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

“Yet another average white man.”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#110 Jan 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm singling out the actions and attitudes of white men which are NOT the attitudes that all men share. Black men didn't support slavery or segregation or discriminating against blacks.
While blacks & hispanics may share similar sexist and anti-gay and anti-semitic attitudes, the fact they weren't holding the positions of power in society means they weren't responsible for those discriminatory policies put in place primarily by straight white christian men.
Old straight white christian men had the power and are primarily responsible for every discriminatory policy ever put in place in this country. There is no getting away from that simple fact.
And ALL white men- including myself- share a responsibility for that even if we personally were/are opposed, because we ALL benefited from those policies in some form and continue to benefit today.
We ALL benefited, so we ALL share the blame.

Are you going to suggest that black people have not owned slaves? And black discrimination toward other blacks is legendary, even Jesse Jackson admits to it. The very idea that white men are capable of something that other races are not capable of is itself racism. As far as the power structure, that can be shifted considerably at the street level and your only example seems to be top-down.

See, this is the problem with assigning white people the exclusive domain over actions that are common to ALL humans; it leads to conflicting standards that are never resolved. All races have owned slaves, which race abolished the practice?
Grobbbbbbb

Tawas City, Michigan

#111 Jan 8, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you going to suggest that black people have not owned slaves? And black discrimination toward other blacks is legendary, even Jesse Jackson admits to it. The very idea that white men are capable of something that other races are not capable of is itself racism. As far as the power structure, that can be shifted considerably at the street level and your only example seems to be top-down.
See, this is the problem with assigning white people the exclusive domain over actions that are common to ALL humans; it leads to conflicting standards that are never resolved. All races have owned slaves, which race abolished the practice?
Grobbbbbbb
I assign the blame to those that were/are in a position of power to do something about it.

That would be the straight white chritian males.

Just because some white men helped abolished slavery doesn't let us off the hook for instituting slavery in the US in the first place.

Just as religion isn't off the hook for the harm caused by segregation just because some religious people helped end the practice.

The effects of slavery, racism, & discrimination of any form lasts for multiple generations after the institutional practices have ended. The blame must last just as long.

Location hidden

#112 Jan 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I assign the blame to those that were/are in a position of power to do something about it.
That would be the straight white chritian males.
Just because some white men helped abolished slavery doesn't let us off the hook for instituting slavery in the US in the first place.
Just as religion isn't off the hook for the harm caused by segregation just because some religious people helped end the practice.
The effects of slavery, racism, & discrimination of any form lasts for multiple generations after the institutional practices have ended. The blame must last just as long.
Slavery is robably as old as humanity. Laying it soley at the feet of white people is as racist as it gets. Again I say, nobody's hands are clean. And it wasn't just a few religious people who ended slavery, but it was indeed a LOT of white people.
I'm sure that burying yourself in all this guilt accomplishes something for you, but I fail to see the point unless you can trace your lineage back to slavers and plan to track down their families so you can give them everything you own. Such a strategy has no durability and you'll be exhausted before you can pay back enough personal reperations.
Or you could simply sell yourself to a black family who likely needs a laborer. That's what everybody really wants right? White slaves under non-white rule. Well, tough luck folks, that's not how it works. Slaves are taken during conflicts.
But who'd want to be a slave owner in the 21st century? It's not who we are these days. Besides, we have minimum wage which is a much better plan than slavery. Cheaper too. And the slaves come in all colors!!!
Grobbbbbbbbbb

Tawas City, Michigan

#113 Jan 8, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery is robably as old as humanity. Laying it soley at the feet of white people is as racist as it gets. Again I say, nobody's hands are clean. And it wasn't just a few religious people who ended slavery, but it was indeed a LOT of white people.
I'm sure that burying yourself in all this guilt accomplishes something for you, but I fail to see the point unless you can trace your lineage back to slavers and plan to track down their families so you can give them everything you own. Such a strategy has no durability and you'll be exhausted before you can pay back enough personal reperations.
Or you could simply sell yourself to a black family who likely needs a laborer. That's what everybody really wants right? White slaves under non-white rule. Well, tough luck folks, that's not how it works. Slaves are taken during conflicts.
But who'd want to be a slave owner in the 21st century? It's not who we are these days. Besides, we have minimum wage which is a much better plan than slavery. Cheaper too. And the slaves come in all colors!!!
Grobbbbbbbbbb
Well slavery in THIS country is 100% the responsiblity of the white man. They HAD a chance to outlaw slavery when they formed this country; they choose not to.

I have no guilt since I never supported slavery, but as someone who benefited from the generations of white male privilege (just like ALL white men in this country) I accept responsibility for the actions of previous generations which granted that privilege.

I make reparations by fighting against discrimination where ever it occurs, just as previous generations made reparations by using their religious beliefs to fight slavery or segregation or bans on marriage equality etc. Obviously that comes no where near making up for the generational damage which continues to be inflicted on minorities in this country, but it's a start.

Location hidden

#114 Jan 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Well slavery in THIS country is 100% the responsiblity of the white man. They HAD a chance to outlaw slavery when they formed this country; they choose not to.
I have no guilt since I never supported slavery, but as someone who benefited from the generations of white male privilege (just like ALL white men in this country) I accept responsibility for the actions of previous generations which granted that privilege.
I make reparations by fighting against discrimination where ever it occurs, just as previous generations made reparations by using their religious beliefs to fight slavery or segregation or bans on marriage equality etc. Obviously that comes no where near making up for the generational damage which continues to be inflicted on minorities in this country, but it's a start.

How exactly do you "accept responsibility" in this matter? Also don't forget that slavery was already common in the Americans long before whites (like the Spanish) arrived. And what about all the native Americans who captured and purchased slaves? While the "Evil whites invented slavery" claim makes great play for ignorant minds, you're not going to sell this tripe to a whole nation. Only to people who share your hatred of whites.
Grobbbbbbbbbb

Tawas City, Michigan

#115 Jan 8, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
How exactly do you "accept responsibility" in this matter? Also don't forget that slavery was already common in the Americans long before whites (like the Spanish) arrived. And what about all the native Americans who captured and purchased slaves? While the "Evil whites invented slavery" claim makes great play for ignorant minds, you're not going to sell this tripe to a whole nation. Only to people who share your hatred of whites.
Grobbbbbbbbbb
I didn't say the white man invented slavery. What I said was in America the white man was responsible for allowing slavery to remain. They had the opportunity to ban slavery when they wrote our constitution; they chose not to. That makes them 100% responsible.

Taking responsibilty means accepting the fact that ALL white people have benefited from generations of white privilege in this country and taking steps to stop the discrimination which still exists. It also means taking action to correct the lingering effects of generational institutionalized racial discrimination, for example in how our public education system is funded. It's not a coincidence that the poorest performing schools are almost exclusively in poor minority districts. Or are you one of those who still thinks minorities are just dumber than whites?

Location hidden

#116 Jan 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say the white man invented slavery. What I said was in America the white man was responsible for allowing slavery to remain. They had the opportunity to ban slavery when they wrote our constitution; they chose not to. That makes them 100% responsible.
Taking responsibilty means accepting the fact that ALL white people have benefited from generations of white privilege in this country and taking steps to stop the discrimination which still exists. It also means taking action to correct the lingering effects of generational institutionalized racial discrimination, for example in how our public education system is funded. It's not a coincidence that the poorest performing schools are almost exclusively in poor minority districts. Or are you one of those who still thinks minorities are just dumber than whites?

Nope, I think all humans have the same potential. For this reason I hold all humans to the same measure, as do our schools. However, there may indeed be cultural aspects to education that can't be realized in desegregated schools. We may be cheating more non-white children than Beverly Hall with the broad assumption that they need to be educated beside children they have nothing in common with culturally.

I feel the same way about gender though. As puberty hits we should not have them in schools together. It puts the boys at a substantial disadvantage. Girls are far more mature and capable of intentional and unintentional distraction.

But that's another issue. If you choose to see only the worst in white people, so be it. Compacting centuries of history into a few neat and tidy little lines of hatred isn't doing anyone any good.
Grobbbbbbb

Tawas City, Michigan

#117 Jan 9, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I think all humans have the same potential. For this reason I hold all humans to the same measure, as do our schools. However, there may indeed be cultural aspects to education that can't be realized in desegregated schools. We may be cheating more non-white children than Beverly Hall with the broad assumption that they need to be educated beside children they have nothing in common with culturally.
I feel the same way about gender though. As puberty hits we should not have them in schools together. It puts the boys at a substantial disadvantage. Girls are far more mature and capable of intentional and unintentional distraction.
But that's another issue. If you choose to see only the worst in white people, so be it. Compacting centuries of history into a few neat and tidy little lines of hatred isn't doing anyone any good.
Grobbbbbbb
Wow, not suprised in the least you think we should go back to racially segregated schools. I think you pretty much proved my point.

Poor school districts churn out poorly educated students; it has nothing to do with the race of the student body but rather the economic status of those living in that school districts.

Public schools are funded primarily through property tax values, and minority school districts on average have lower property tax values, because minorites on average make less money than whites, because minorites on average receive a poorer education than whites, because minority school districts on average have lower property tax values.......(round robin)

Until we change how public education is funded in America there will be a disparity in the quality of education minority children receive. Example- the $60 million dollar high school football stadium built in a rich primarily white school district near Dallas, while the neighboring school district can't afford to keep the lights on & patch the holes in the roof of their decrepit buildings that house their mostly minority student body.

Whitewash the past all you want; it doesn't change the present.
Faith

New Baltimore, MI

#118 Jan 9, 2013
I think it's great that they have these private schools. I don't want my child going to school with minorities either. Schools with a high minority population are disrupted by the presence of troublemakers that don't want to learn. They bring drugs, teen pregnancy, anti social behavior, violence and drugs. I just moved to a small town that has no minorities....Problem solved.

Location hidden

#119 Jan 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, not suprised in the least you think we should go back to racially segregated schools. I think you pretty much proved my point.
Poor school districts churn out poorly educated students; it has nothing to do with the race of the student body but rather the economic status of those living in that school districts.
Public schools are funded primarily through property tax values, and minority school districts on average have lower property tax values, because minorites on average make less money than whites, because minorites on average receive a poorer education than whites, because minority school districts on average have lower property tax values.......(round robin)
Until we change how public education is funded in America there will be a disparity in the quality of education minority children receive. Example- the $60 million dollar high school football stadium built in a rich primarily white school district near Dallas, while the neighboring school district can't afford to keep the lights on & patch the holes in the roof of their decrepit buildings that house their mostly minority student body.
Whitewash the past all you want; it doesn't change the present.

The present is nothing like the past. And yes, I think cramming children with wildly different cultures into the same classrooms was and still is a recipe for declining performance. And declining performance is exactly what has happened. Oddly enough, all those nasty white racists who stood in front of their schools, were right about that one.

This is where institutional racism is being applied, even by black people onto black children (Like Beverly Hall and her crew). Again, I think any human being is capable of learning and I don't buy the eugenic theories about race and IQ. I know far too many intelligent people of all races to join into that sort of ignorant discussion. But it is foolish to think that cramming children into the same classroom with children they don't know or understand is asking for the very probloems we have.

And this is by no means a southern issue, it's national. When I lived in New York the public schools were primarily minority while the private schools were full of white kids. What I couldn't get over were all the leftist whites who would not put their kids into the public schools there. Again my only point is that culturally the non-white kids are at a disadvantage that can spiral out of control if they lose hope. Watching their classmates leave them in the dust doesn't build confidence and faking their grades is the very worst racism there is for these non-white students (I'm trying not to use "minority" anymore since demographics are changing).

I don't want to see anyone held back. People who don't succeed become a cost, not an asset to society. When we ignore the progress a student isn't making in favor of pushing a social engineering agenda, we fail the student first and society at large. We can't force people to like each other. All attempts at government-controlled unity have been derided by all sides. Yes, I agree that the laws demanding legal equality were necessary. So why isn't it enough to be equal anymore?

Your never going to stop discrimination and bigotry, especially using bigotry as a weapon in the effort. If people really want to unify America, excluding white people and trying to shame them with sh!t they didn't do, is not going to help. Diversity does not mean "no whites allowed".
Grobbbbbbbbb
Mencken

Florence, MS

#120 Jan 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm singling out the actions and attitudes of white men which are NOT the attitudes that all men share. Black men didn't support slavery or segregation or discriminating against blacks....
"Anthony Johnson (colonist)

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"For other people named Anthony Johnson, see Anthony Johnson (disambiguation).

"Anthony Johnson was an Angolan African held as an indentured servant by a merchant in the Colony of Virginia in 1620, but later freed to become a successful tobacco farmer and owner. Notably, he was the ***first*** to hold a black African servant as a slave in the mainland American colonies. Upon his death in 1670 a court ruled that he was "a negro and by consequence, an alien", and the colony seized his land."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson...

Tawas City, Michigan

#121 Jan 9, 2013
Faith wrote:
I think it's great that they have these private schools. I don't want my child going to school with minorities either. Schools with a high minority population are disrupted by the presence of troublemakers that don't want to learn. They bring drugs, teen pregnancy, anti social behavior, violence and drugs. I just moved to a small town that has no minorities....Problem solved.
Yep, thanks for demonstrating the very racial bias I was referring to.

You're either ignorant or naive if you think poor all white schools don't have the same problems of "troublemakers, drugs, teen pregnancy, anti-social behavior, & violence.

Or could it be you overlook those behaviors when it's white kids doing it?

Obviously we've still got a long way to go.

Tawas City, Michigan

#122 Jan 9, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
The present is nothing like the past. And yes, I think cramming children with wildly different cultures into the same classrooms was and still is a recipe for declining performance. And declining performance is exactly what has happened. Oddly enough, all those nasty white racists who stood in front of their schools, were right about that one.
This is where institutional racism is being applied, even by black people onto black children (Like Beverly Hall and her crew). Again, I think any human being is capable of learning and I don't buy the eugenic theories about race and IQ. I know far too many intelligent people of all races to join into that sort of ignorant discussion. But it is foolish to think that cramming children into the same classroom with children they don't know or understand is asking for the very probloems we have.
And this is by no means a southern issue, it's national. When I lived in New York the public schools were primarily minority while the private schools were full of white kids. What I couldn't get over were all the leftist whites who would not put their kids into the public schools there. Again my only point is that culturally the non-white kids are at a disadvantage that can spiral out of control if they lose hope. Watching their classmates leave them in the dust doesn't build confidence and faking their grades is the very worst racism there is for these non-white students (I'm trying not to use "minority" anymore since demographics are changing).
I don't want to see anyone held back. People who don't succeed become a cost, not an asset to society. When we ignore the progress a student isn't making in favor of pushing a social engineering agenda, we fail the student first and society at large. We can't force people to like each other. All attempts at government-controlled unity have been derided by all sides. Yes, I agree that the laws demanding legal equality were necessary. So why isn't it enough to be equal anymore?
Your never going to stop discrimination and bigotry, especially using bigotry as a weapon in the effort. If people really want to unify America, excluding white people and trying to shame them with sh!t they didn't do, is not going to help. Diversity does not mean "no whites allowed".
Grobbbbbbbbb
Wow, your entire post shows exactly why it isn't "enough to be equal anymore".

Passing a law stating we're all "equal" now doesn't make it so, as the disparity is schools demonstrate. Do you really think you can just magically take away the effect of GENERATIONS of institutionaled discrimination just by saying we're all equal now?

How else are children ever going to learn to get along with others if they are never exposed people of a different race or culture or economic status?

How is it "equal" when non-white students on average receive less funding per pupil than white students just because they tend to live in poorer school districts? How is it "equal" when the average black or hispanic person makes less money than a white person because their parents or grandparents were denied entry to college or couldn't afford it because they were only hired for menial low wage jobs for centuries?

You are simply attempting to whitewash history to ignore the lasting effects of slavery, segregation, & the ongoing discrimination in this country, whether it is based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.

Yours is a recipe for continued racial strife & segregation in society; exactly what is happening today.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#123 Jan 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>America seems just fine to me. I guess it's all about perspective.

So you can be miserable for the next 4 years while I'll continue to celebrate.

Then when we elect Hillary in 2016 I'll be celebrating again while you no doubt will continue to be miserable.

Sounds like a good plan to me!
that's right. You view it from a racist perspective and thus are willing to overlook all the evil done by obammy. 23 million out of work isn't okay. 14% black unemployment isn't okay. A $16.5 trillion debt is not okay. A senate that refuses to follow the law and pass abuser is not okay.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#124 Jan 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>Well slavery in THIS country is 100% the responsiblity of the white man. They HAD a chance to outlaw slavery when they formed this country; they choose not to.

all those white men are dead. Get over it

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
In the last 6 months, 37,477 illegal immigrant ... 5 hr anonymous 3
Hampton police arrest 3 teens in Northampton ro... 8 hr Tabb Man 1
DHS secretary says unaccompanied kids show need... 11 hr Memo From Turner 119
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 17 hr Wondering Why 31,195
Newtown Business Spotlight: Persnickety Promotions 21 hr Lou 1
5 ways going green improves your kids' health 21 hr FatLadyMe 1
Columbus County Sheriff says 'spice' drug worse... 21 hr We need a change 5
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Family People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••