In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Acade...

In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong

There are 370 comments on the www.theatlantic.com story from Dec 13, 2012, titled In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong. In it, www.theatlantic.com reports that:

In the 1960s and '70s, towns across the South created inexpensive private schools to keep white students from having to mix with black.

took LaToysha Brown 13 years to realize how little interaction she had with white peers in her Mississippi Delta town: not at church, not at school, not at anywhere. The realization dawned when she was in the seventh grade, studying the civil rights movement at an after-school program called the Sunflower County Freedom Project. It didn't bother her at first. By high school, however, Brown had started to wonder if separate could ever be equal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.theatlantic.com.

Since: Aug 10

Hollis Center, ME

#327 Jan 18, 2013
The civil war ended, you lost, get over it
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#328 Jan 18, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Kinda like confederate, redneck, hillbilly, etc?
Your liberal is showing. Tsk tsk.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#329 Jan 18, 2013
FFS- wrote:
The civil war ended, you lost, get over it
New one seems to be brewing. Ah, second chances.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#330 Jan 18, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>DWL=Disingenuous White Liberal i.e. what is really wrong with this country at the present time in the U.S. Is that enough ?
Hahaha are you freaking kidding me? You couldn't be any further from the truth if you tried, buddy. I'm sorry I'm not all "white power!", I actually contain a small amount of class. I know the difference between right and wrong.
McGruff

Greensburg, KY

#331 Jan 19, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>You have yet to show a single law which takes into account race.

Name one.

Just one will do.

And no, just saying "all of them" isn't proof.

And yet I can show many laws with say absolutely nothing about race-

So here's my proof:

Maryland HB 438, signed into law Mar 1st 2012. No mention of racial preference whatsoever.

Your turn:
yes I did. Affirmative action laws. They are designed to give better treatment to blacks. That's racist and that makes you a racist.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#332 Jan 19, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
yes I did. Affirmative action laws. They are designed to give better treatment to blacks. That's racist and that makes you a racist.
There are affirmative action laws which cover women-owned businesses; how does that give better treatment to blacks? Are you saying there are no white women-owned businesses?

Again, name just ONE SPECIFIC LAW which is designed to give better treatment to blacks.

"Affirmative action laws" IS NOT a specific law, but rather an entire category of laws; and as I denomstrated above they aren't designed to give better treatment just to blacks.

Keep trying......

Hollis Center, ME

#333 Jan 19, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, yeah, I keep hearing that from redneck losers on the Internet.....yet none of you actually do anything.

You'll never leave mommys basement and we both know it

“Yet another average white man.”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#334 Jan 19, 2013
FFS- wrote:
<quoted text>lol, yeah, I keep hearing that from redneck losers on the Internet.....yet none of you actually do anything.
I fail to see how an ethic slur helps matters. I also doubt anyone thinks the next civil war will be along the same lines and about the same issues as the last one. I personally do not think it will be drawn across racial lines, or at least I hope not.

The people we hired to be solving all of our problems have instead been lining their pockets and carving up the nation for powerful corporate colleagues from around the world. Like it or not, America was already sold off. Now we're just watching the US government drag us by the nose with wedge issues and mock race riots.

In California, the nation's trend setter, the white and Hispanic population will reach parity at 39% in 2014. However, the Asian population growth will exceed the Hispanic population growth by 2018. Nobody is talking about the impact of black Americans in California during this period and how they might be affectng or be affected by this demographic shift.

In part this is because black Americans are being gently pushed back to the Southeast. Sounds great right? Beaches, warm weather (no snow), car factories and of course the opportunity to drive the last stake into Dixie's racist heart. Well, ove the recent decades that has already been done and has escalated. The South became a huge dump for odd chemicals from processes including PCBs and huge lakes of caustic coal ash courtesy of the TVA and electricity going to the steel mills in the North. The coal burning steel mills like Birmingham's remained a Southern issue far into the electric steel production age.

Then there's the depleted soil and being in the path of every tropical atmospheric phenomenon. I almost plys out like some dastardly plan hatched by some secret society. Which is what Washington has become. Americans have NO friends in Washington.
Grobbbbbbbbbb
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#335 Jan 19, 2013
FFS- wrote:
<quoted text>lol, yeah, I keep hearing that from redneck losers on the Internet.....yet none of you actually do anything.
Again,that was sarcasm. I work hard for the things I have and I am not in some basement being an internet troll, but you believe whatever makes you feel good.

You can call me all the names your little brain can conjure up, but this nation is in a bad place and it's not getting any better. People like you are the problem-that much I know.

Hollis Center, ME

#337 Jan 19, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
oh sarcasm? You need comedy lessons

Hollis Center, ME

#336 Jan 19, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
Again,that was sarcasm. I work hard for the things I have and I am not in some basement being an internet troll, but you believe whatever makes you feel good.
You can call me all the names your little brain can conjure up, but this nation is in a bad place and it's not getting any better. People like you are the problem-that much I know.
yes, people like me are such a problem. Us military people.

You're clueless son

Hollis Center, ME

#338 Jan 19, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
so, you really think that anyone who doesn't think a new civil war is coming is part of the problem?

You really just don't make sense
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#339 Jan 19, 2013
FFS- wrote:
<quoted text>so, you really think that anyone who doesn't think a new civil war is coming is part of the problem?
You really just don't make sense
This country is at a crossroads, anyone who doesn't see that is blind at this point. Those who look away or choose not to believe what their eyes are telling them is part of the problem, and if you are doing that, then yes.

Hollis Center, ME

#340 Jan 19, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
This country is at a crossroads, anyone who doesn't see that is blind at this point. Those who look away or choose not to believe what their eyes are telling them is part of the problem, and if you are doing that, then yes.
crossroads...that's so specific?

Conservatives lost an election or two. It's time to act like men and stop whining
McGruff

Lexington, KY

#341 Jan 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>There are affirmative action laws which cover women-owned businesses; how does that give better treatment to blacks? Are you saying there are no white women-owned businesses?

Again, name just ONE SPECIFIC LAW which is designed to give better treatment to blacks.

"Affirmative action laws" IS NOT a specific law, but rather an entire category of laws; and as I denomstrated above they aren't designed to give better treatment just to blacks.

Keep trying......
that is a gender based discrimination nitwit.

All affirmative action laws that favour people of any given race. Those nitwit. You are a racist. Just admit it and then get help

Tawas City, Michigan

#342 Jan 20, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
that is a gender based discrimination nitwit.
All affirmative action laws that favour people of any given race. Those nitwit. You are a racist. Just admit it and then get help
And yet with all those affirmative action laws supposedly out there, you can't name a single one.

I can just as easily claim "all immigration laws" favor white people. So I guess that's proof that whites get special treatment.

The reason you can't name a single law BY NAME or BILL NUMBER that specifically favors any given race solely because a person is that race is because they DON'T exist.
McGruff

Campbellsville, KY

#343 Jan 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>And yet with all those affirmative action laws supposedly out there, you can't name a single one.

I can just as easily claim "all immigration laws" favor white people. So I guess that's proof that whites get special treatment.

The reason you can't name a single law BY NAME or BILL NUMBER that specifically favors any given race solely because a person is that race is because they DON'T exist.
then just look them up of you want to. You support racist laws thus you are a racist. Just admit you are a liar and a racist and we will let it go at that.

Tawas City, Michigan

#344 Jan 20, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
then just look them up of you want to. You support racist laws thus you are a racist. Just admit you are a liar and a racist and we will let it go at that.
YOU are the one who keeps claiming they exist, thus the onus is on YOU to prove it.

If you can't provide the name or bill number of even ONE specific bill which gives preferential treatment to a black person solely because of their race, then I'll take that as an admission you lied about it and accept your white flag of surrender.

It's up to you.
McGruff

Campbellsville, KY

#345 Jan 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>YOU are the one who keeps claiming they exist, thus the onus is on YOU to prove it.

If you can't provide the name or bill number of even ONE specific bill which gives preferential treatment to a black person solely because of their race, then I'll take that as an admission you lied about it and accept your white flag of surrender.

It's up to you.
I am not your research assistant racist. Just admit you are a liar and a racist. You are.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#346 Jan 21, 2013
FFS- wrote:
<quoted text>crossroads...that's so specific?
Conservatives lost an election or two. It's time to act like men and stop whining
I think a quote by King himself is in order, it's very fitting for the direction this country is heading also.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4xuskjblp1...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Take a Number: The HPV Vaccine Gains Ground Amo... 1 hr VACCINES MAIM KILL 1
News Segregation lingers in US schools 60 years afte... 8 hr Porch Honkey 1
News Jennifer Michelle Arnold 8 hr guest 15
News Few kids receiving mental health care - Zeni (Jul '08) 13 hr risk-of-early-death 20
News Kylie Jenner is pregnant Sat Geezer 1
News Prosecutor: More funds needed to protect elderly Sat BigMike2015 1
News Milton Fall Fair: Celebrating - the rural way:W... Sat Mac 1
More from around the web