In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Acade...

In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong

There are 370 comments on the www.theatlantic.com story from Dec 13, 2012, titled In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong. In it, www.theatlantic.com reports that:

In the 1960s and '70s, towns across the South created inexpensive private schools to keep white students from having to mix with black.

took LaToysha Brown 13 years to realize how little interaction she had with white peers in her Mississippi Delta town: not at church, not at school, not at anywhere. The realization dawned when she was in the seventh grade, studying the civil rights movement at an after-school program called the Sunflower County Freedom Project. It didn't bother her at first. By high school, however, Brown had started to wonder if separate could ever be equal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.theatlantic.com.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#306 Jan 17, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but that is not possible. I don't hide my face on this forum, so your opinion is also colored by internal prejudices. You can't help it. To deny it would be going against the model you are suggesting applies to me.
Grobbbbbbb
Your picture is tiny on my laptop and unlike you I don't stop to check the race of every poster before commenting, because to me it doesn't matter. The ONLY thing which matters is the content of your posts.

Which you once again prove your primary focus is on race, whereas my focus is on inequality & injustice, regardless of race.

Tawas City, Michigan

#307 Jan 17, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but that is not possible. I don't hide my face on this forum, so your opinion is also colored by internal prejudices. You can't help it. To deny it would be going against the model you are suggesting applies to me.
Grobbbbbbb
Btw, now that you've pointed it out, you probably SHOULD start hiding your face, or at least get a better looking picture- maybe from the days you still had hair?!

“Yet another average white man.”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#308 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw, now that you've pointed it out, you probably SHOULD start hiding your face, or at least get a better looking picture- maybe from the days you still had hair?!

What's the point of this? So many times you divert and it's usually personal. If I gave a twig what anyone thought of me I sure wouldn't put my ugly mug on the web. For a man my age I look damn good though.

What's funny is your superficial denial that seeing my basic image would have any effect onyour opinion. You have somehow managed to evolve a million or so years ahead of the rest of us then. The rest of us are using brains made for living in the wild.

The only thing that makes us seem civilized is our humanity, creativity and empathy. All of the animal rage is still there. You're denying your animal nature, the need to sort friend from foe in an instant. Because of my picture you have this bias and I do not.
Grobbbbbbbbbbbb

Tawas City, Michigan

#309 Jan 18, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the point of this? So many times you divert and it's usually personal. If I gave a twig what anyone thought of me I sure wouldn't put my ugly mug on the web. For a man my age I look damn good though.
What's funny is your superficial denial that seeing my basic image would have any effect onyour opinion. You have somehow managed to evolve a million or so years ahead of the rest of us then. The rest of us are using brains made for living in the wild.
The only thing that makes us seem civilized is our humanity, creativity and empathy. All of the animal rage is still there. You're denying your animal nature, the need to sort friend from foe in an instant. Because of my picture you have this bias and I do not.
Grobbbbbbbbbbbb
YOU are the one who brought up the subject of your photo. As I said, I didn't take note of your race because to me it's not relevant. The only thing I base my posts on are the contents of the story or comments by other posters. I don't research the author of every article checking to see what race or gender or religion or ethnicity or sexual orientation they may be.

Btw, you should probably seek some help for all that "animal rage" you admit is still there.

Since: Aug 10

Rochester, NY

#310 Jan 18, 2013
Racist inbred southerners?

Why is this considered news?

“Yet another average white man.”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#311 Jan 18, 2013
FFS- wrote:

Actually inbreeding is more common in places where people are snowed in for weeks at a time with relatives of all sorts. I'm from Schenectady, I have seen both sides of this old canard.
Grobbbbbbbb
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#312 Jan 18, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>Yet it applies equally to all races.......
no it don't. It is for one race in particular. Therefore racism and you are a racist. Racist liberal. That is you
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#313 Jan 18, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>Your picture is tiny on my laptop and unlike you I don't stop to check the race of every poster before commenting, because to me it doesn't matter. The ONLY thing which matters is the content of your posts.

Which you once again prove your primary focus is on race, whereas my focus is on inequality & injustice, regardless of race.
of course race matters to you. You ate a liberal. That's ALL liberals think about. It consumes you.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#315 Jan 18, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>Oh well the information still rings true, because its, you know, true. People like you are so annoying. You are whats known as a DWL, I bet I am right on the money with that one.
Oh please expound on this one.

Tawas City, Michigan

#316 Jan 18, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
no it don't. It is for one race in particular. Therefore racism and you are a racist. Racist liberal. That is you
And yet you can offer no proof of that claim whatsoever.

Tawas City, Michigan

#317 Jan 18, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
of course race matters to you. You ate a liberal. That's ALL liberals think about. It consumes you.
Actually I just ate an apple, but I don't know what that has to do with anything.

Btw, I'm a conservative, not a liberal.
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#318 Jan 18, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>And yet you can offer no proof of that claim whatsoever.
where is your proof? Come on nitwit. Show the proof.

Here is mine nitwit. Notice it says that they laws take into account "race". Glad I could prove you a hypocritical liar and a racist. Or are you just stupid.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#319 Jan 18, 2013
FFS- wrote:
Drive by yankeeism at its best. American by birth, Southern by the grace of God. First, last, always.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#320 Jan 18, 2013
Pappasmurf2252 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please expound on this one.
DWL=Disingenuous White Liberal i.e. what is really wrong with this country at the present time in the U.S. Is that enough ?
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#321 Jan 18, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I just ate an apple, but I don't know what that has to do with anything.
Btw, I'm a conservative, not a liberal.
You're conservative in the same way that water is dry. Cut the crap, sir. Really.

Tawas City, Michigan

#322 Jan 18, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
where is your proof? Come on nitwit. Show the proof.
Here is mine nitwit. Notice it says that they laws take into account "race". Glad I could prove you a hypocritical liar and a racist. Or are you just stupid.
You have yet to show a single law which takes into account race.

Name one.

Just one will do.

And no, just saying "all of them" isn't proof.

And yet I can show many laws with say absolutely nothing about race-

So here's my proof:

Maryland HB 438, signed into law Mar 1st 2012. No mention of racial preference whatsoever.

Your turn:

Since: Aug 10

Hollis Center, ME

#323 Jan 18, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
Drive by yankeeism at its best. American by birth, Southern by the grace of God. First, last, always.
LOL @ yankee.

Have you ever noticed that nobody with an education EVER uses that word? Odd huh

Tawas City, Michigan

#324 Jan 18, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
You're conservative in the same way that water is dry. Cut the crap, sir. Really.
Now you get to determine who's a conservative and who's not?

Fine, then you're a liberal.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#325 Jan 18, 2013
FFS- wrote:
<quoted text>LOL @ yankee.
Have you ever noticed that nobody with an education EVER uses that word? Odd huh
The educated and the simple folk alike use that word to describe people not of the South. It's a common thing we all share, educated or not-its not something you would understand, and that's ok.

Tawas City, Michigan

#326 Jan 18, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
The educated and the simple folk alike use that word to describe people not of the South. It's a common thing we all share, educated or not-its not something you would understand, and that's ok.
Kinda like confederate, redneck, hillbilly, etc?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Teens Busted After Break-Ins (Jul '12) 3 hr Lisa p 2
News Teal Pumpkin Project continues to raise awarene... 6 hr Emerald 2
News Dimon Kendrick-Holmes: Poor kids get all the pa... (Apr '13) 9 hr Maltamon 19
News SLIDESHOW: JonBenet murder still a mystery 15 y... (Dec '11) 9 hr Texxy 6
News To bear healthy babies (Oct '08) 10 hr CaDad 3
News Sex education: what role should parents play? (May '12) 10 hr Bob 4
News Pastor's sermon podcast reignites spanking debate (Aug '10) 11 hr Suezanne 14
More from around the web