In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong

Dec 13, 2012 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.theatlantic.com

In the 1960s and '70s, towns across the South created inexpensive private schools to keep white students from having to mix with black.

took LaToysha Brown 13 years to realize how little interaction she had with white peers in her Mississippi Delta town: not at church, not at school, not at anywhere. The realization dawned when she was in the seventh grade, studying the civil rights movement at an after-school program called the Sunflower County Freedom Project. It didn't bother her at first. By high school, however, Brown had started to wonder if separate could ever be equal.

Comments
281 - 300 of 370 Comments Last updated Jun 30, 2014

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#286 Jan 17, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
no it's about race. That what it is designed to do. Address race. You are a racist. Spin all you want but you support racist policies
And yet it applies equally regardless of race......

Tawas City, Michigan

#287 Jan 17, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
same as my example. The gov can also do the opposite and grant favours to people who have not been discriminated against and exclude those that have. Do you also believe that is true?
Of course the CAN, in fact that HAVE BEEN DOING EXACTLY THAT for the past 200+ years.

The govt granted favors and special rights to people who were NEVER discriminated against (staight white christian men) and excluded those who WERE discriminated against (gays, blacks, asians, jews, women, etc).

THAT is EXACTLY what we're trying to correct with affirmative action laws.

Tawas City, Michigan

#288 Jan 17, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes my white privilege allows me to work and pay my bills and try to send my kids to a decent school where they won't be raped beat up or accosted-and actually learn something. Oh that awful white privilege I tell ya.
I bear no white guilt, and I teach my children to laugh at such a notion. It is very laughable that you even mention such a thing. Typical yankee progressive b.s. is what you spew. Save it.
At least you admit you benefit from white privilege.

“Yet another average white man.”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#289 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I never said that. Sounds like you're a bit oversensitive to the issue, maybe because of a guilty conscience?
My point is all white people in this country have benefited from the generational institutionalized white privilege which existed (and in many ways still DOES exist) for the past 200+ years, whether your ancestors had slaves or not.
Wealth & privilege has been passed down generation to generation, and from the founding of our country that wealth & privilege has been primarily concentrated in the white male community.
Even poor whites- especially in the south- had considerable more privilege than poor blacks or hispanics or natives. Just one example- they were allowed to vote even though they couldn't afford the poll tax or meet the literacy test, while blacks in a similiar situation were denied that right. Gee, guess who all those whites voted for- the white candidate who supported their race-based privileges.
Of course whites are not solely to blame for the current economic & educational disparities which exist in America, but we ALL benefited in some way from that generational white privilege and we ALL have an obligation to work to eliminate the remaining economic & educational disparites which still exist because of that.
The most effective way to do that is to change the way we fund public schools in America from a property valued based system to a per capita system. Every public school in America should have the same basic funding per pupil, the same safe educational environment, and the same level of quality education regardless of the property values in the school district.

I'm oversensitive? My gripes only go back a couple of decades. Imagine how "sensitive" someone must be to hold a grudge over events from more than a half century to as many as 400 years claimed. Funny stuff man. Sorry, but the eggshell award still goes to black Americans. I can think of a single word that instantly produces a homocidal rage from MOST of them. This is such an old dance.
Grobbbbbbbbb
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#290 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
At least you admit you benefit from white privilege.
That was sarcasm, but anyway. I was curious about the little town you come from , so I looked it up. It never fails, those with the mindset of yourself have no real interaction with blacks. Hope life is peachy in Honkeyville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawas_City,_Mich...

Tawas City, Michigan

#291 Jan 17, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm oversensitive? My gripes only go back a couple of decades. Imagine how "sensitive" someone must be to hold a grudge over events from more than a half century to as many as 400 years claimed. Funny stuff man. Sorry, but the eggshell award still goes to black Americans. I can think of a single word that instantly produces a homocidal rage from MOST of them. This is such an old dance.
Grobbbbbbbbb
You don't have to go back any further than 30 seconds ago to see the CONTINUING effects of institutionalized discrimination.

The simple fact you can't see it proves your judgment has been colored (no pun intended) by your continued white male privilege.

Tawas City, Michigan

#292 Jan 17, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
That was sarcasm, but anyway. I was curious about the little town you come from , so I looked it up. It never fails, those with the mindset of yourself have no real interaction with blacks. Hope life is peachy in Honkeyville.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawas_City,_Mich...
Then while you're at it you should look up all the other places I've lived in my life, including Portsmouth Virginia, Washington DC, Oakland California, Corpus Christi Texas, Chicago Illinois, Seattle Washington, Honolulu Hawaii, etc, etc, etc.

Most of the communities I've lived in during my adult life I was the minority.

I chose Tawas City after retiring from the military because the cost of living is cheap and Lake Huron is spectacular!

Sorry to burst yet another of your stereotypes.......

Location hidden

#293 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to go back any further than 30 seconds ago to see the CONTINUING effects of institutionalized discrimination.
The simple fact you can't see it proves your judgment has been colored (no pun intended) by your continued white male privilege.

Oh yea, they just roll out the freakin carpet for me. My student loan was only $20K or so, but it only took a decade to pay it off. I'm treated like a king when I have to ride MARTA. It's so enlightening for me to see all those scholarship and grant programs that say "Minority Only", "Native American Only" and basically everything BUT "White Only" (since that would be racism).

Your delivery in all of this if littered with stupid personal jabs that have nothing to do with the matter at hand. Is your argument so weak that you have only my character to assault? Not that I'm impressed by it. I'm more inclined to think that you're just employing the same game of dodge ball most anti-white leftists use to make themselves feel "victorious" in a debate.
Grobbbbbbbb

Tawas City, Michigan

#294 Jan 17, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yea, they just roll out the freakin carpet for me. My student loan was only $20K or so, but it only took a decade to pay it off. I'm treated like a king when I have to ride MARTA. It's so enlightening for me to see all those scholarship and grant programs that say "Minority Only", "Native American Only" and basically everything BUT "White Only" (since that would be racism).
Your delivery in all of this if littered with stupid personal jabs that have nothing to do with the matter at hand. Is your argument so weak that you have only my character to assault? Not that I'm impressed by it. I'm more inclined to think that you're just employing the same game of dodge ball most anti-white leftists use to make themselves feel "victorious" in a debate.
Grobbbbbbbb
It wasn't an "assault to your character". It's in fact very common for people not to see the benefits which they are receiving while the benefits others get stick out like a sore thumb.

It's like all the old people on medicare who bitched about "socialized medicine" or the "government take over of healthcare".......

Or the people who rail against all those losers in Congress, and then turn around and reelect 99% of the very same congressmen......

Location hidden

#295 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't an "assault to your character". It's in fact very common for people not to see the benefits which they are receiving while the benefits others get stick out like a sore thumb.
It's like all the old people on medicare who bitched about "socialized medicine" or the "government take over of healthcare".......
Or the people who rail against all those losers in Congress, and then turn around and reelect 99% of the very same congressmen......

Since I consider terms like "White Priviledge" to be racist and discriminatory, it most certainly was an attack on my character. You make some very racist assumptions about me because of my color. I have a Dutch surname, does that mean I could be a Nazi? Not that it matters, on MARTA or in 5-Points I'm just another whitey. Any words I speak will be scrutinized for racist "code" or other crap for people to whine about.
Grobbbbbbbbb
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#296 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Then while you're at it you should look up all the other places I've lived in my life, including Portsmouth Virginia, Washington DC, Oakland California, Corpus Christi Texas, Chicago Illinois, Seattle Washington, Honolulu Hawaii, etc, etc, etc.
Most of the communities I've lived in during my adult life I was the minority.
I chose Tawas City after retiring from the military because the cost of living is cheap and Lake Huron is spectacular!
Sorry to burst yet another of your stereotypes.......
Riiiight. Typical leftist mantra: diversity for everyone, but me! You guys never change the script much, I tell ya. Thanks for your service to this country, I respect that, but the rest you are full of b.s.
McGruff

Leitchfield, KY

#297 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>And yet it applies equally regardless of race......
no it don't.
McGruff

Leitchfield, KY

#298 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>And yet it applies equally regardless of race......
it is based on race. Period.
McGruff

Leitchfield, KY

#299 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>Of course the CAN, in fact that HAVE BEEN DOING EXACTLY THAT for the past 200+ years.

The govt granted favors and special rights to people who were NEVER discriminated against (staight white christian men) and excluded those who WERE discriminated against (gays, blacks, asians, jews, women, etc).

THAT is EXACTLY what we're trying to correct with affirmative action laws.
no we haven't. Discriminating to correct discrimination that has been outlawed for 40 years. That's still racism. And you are a racist for supporting it

Tawas City, Michigan

#300 Jan 17, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
Since I consider terms like "White Priviledge" to be racist and discriminatory, it most certainly was an attack on my character. You make some very racist assumptions about me because of my color. I have a Dutch surname, does that mean I could be a Nazi? Not that it matters, on MARTA or in 5-Points I'm just another whitey. Any words I speak will be scrutinized for racist "code" or other crap for people to whine about.
Grobbbbbbbbb
No, I made observations about you based entirely on your COMMENTS, not your skin color.

Again, the assumption that I made my comments based on your race is a classic example of you not being able to see the forest for the trees.

My observations were made based strictly on your comments.

Tawas City, Michigan

#301 Jan 17, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiiight. Typical leftist mantra: diversity for everyone, but me! You guys never change the script much, I tell ya. Thanks for your service to this country, I respect that, but the rest you are full of b.s.
So you judge me based solely on where I currently live while completely dismissing anywhere else I've lived?

About what I expected from you.

Tawas City, Michigan

#302 Jan 17, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
it is based on race. Period.
Yet it applies equally to all races.......
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#303 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
So you judge me based solely on where I currently live while completely dismissing anywhere else I've lived?
About what I expected from you.
You're damn right I do. Its easy to sit and say the rosy glasses crap when you live in a community that's like 100 percent white, probably no crime or any of the mess that comes with having a 'diverse' population.

I can almost bet in those other places , you also did not live in neighborhoods with 'diversity'. Save the song and dance.

Location hidden

#304 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I made observations about you based entirely on your COMMENTS, not your skin color.
Again, the assumption that I made my comments based on your race is a classic example of you not being able to see the forest for the trees.
My observations were made based strictly on your comments.

Sorry, but that is not possible. I don't hide my face on this forum, so your opinion is also colored by internal prejudices. You can't help it. To deny it would be going against the model you are suggesting applies to me.
Grobbbbbbb

Tawas City, Michigan

#305 Jan 17, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
You're damn right I do. Its easy to sit and say the rosy glasses crap when you live in a community that's like 100 percent white, probably no crime or any of the mess that comes with having a 'diverse' population.
I can almost bet in those other places , you also did not live in neighborhoods with 'diversity'. Save the song and dance.
Not suprisingly you'd be WRONG yet again.

Of course we have crime here; the typical drugs & domestic violence & petty theft which is common in any economically depressed area.

And of course your assumption there is no crime here just because the majority of the population is white is typical of your moronic racist beliefs.

Obvioulsy you've never been to Portsmouth or Corpus Christi or any of the other cities I've live in, or you'd know they are extremely diverse communities. But I'll let you continue to hold your racist assumptions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge Byrd reprimanded in Wilson County case (Feb '08) 6 min dr_loose 137
Local group hopes to revisit decade-old convers... 1 hr eJohn 8
Joe Jackson is a no longer a part of the family... 6 hr goodvibrations 12
US condemns 'heinous murder' of Palestinian teen 9 hr Asian Guy 1,602
More school districts consider free meals for all 11 hr reendoga 2
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 12 hr lol 31,215
Lesbian couple in gay marriage case prepares fo... (Mar '13) 12 hr Pietro Armando 1,562
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Family People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••