In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Acade...

In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong

There are 370 comments on the www.theatlantic.com story from Dec 13, 2012, titled In Southern Towns, 'Segregation Academies' Are Still Going Strong. In it, www.theatlantic.com reports that:

In the 1960s and '70s, towns across the South created inexpensive private schools to keep white students from having to mix with black.

took LaToysha Brown 13 years to realize how little interaction she had with white peers in her Mississippi Delta town: not at church, not at school, not at anywhere. The realization dawned when she was in the seventh grade, studying the civil rights movement at an after-school program called the Sunflower County Freedom Project. It didn't bother her at first. By high school, however, Brown had started to wonder if separate could ever be equal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.theatlantic.com.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#265 Jan 16, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>The article was pointing out the disparity that existed, and to a certain extent still exists.

I can't do anything about private schools, and I don't really care to. Black or white or asian or jewish or catholic or hindu or gay or straight or all male or all female; private schools can do whatever they want for whatever reason they want, whether I agree with what they're doing or not.

My MAIN objective is to change how we fund our public schools so every kid has the same opportunity at a quality education, regardless of their race or religion or gender or ethnicity or sexual orientation or economic status or where they live.

I don't solely blames whites for this, I blame EVERYONE in our society, including the government, the schools, and the parents who shirk their duty to ensure they are doing their part.
This we fully agree on.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#266 Jan 16, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't debate the facts with racist, because they live in their own stereotypical world.
I know plenty of Asians who are stupid, and plenty of blacks who are smarter than any white person I know.
The difference is I don't attribute those qualities to everyone in that racial group just because they are a member of said group.
You're an admitted racist; that's all I need to know about you.
You need to check your facts. More money is spent on non white students in public schools than other groups. That is a fact. Call me whatever you want to, but what I said was true. True. True. True. There is a big difference between racist and race realist. I am the latter.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#267 Jan 16, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't debate the facts with racist, because they live in their own stereotypical world.
I know plenty of Asians who are stupid, and plenty of blacks who are smarter than any white person I know.
The difference is I don't attribute those qualities to everyone in that racial group just because they are a member of said group.
You're an admitted racist; that's all I need to know about you.
Here's a fact for you: you can provide equal access, which is what he have now, but you cannot provide equal outcomes, which I know is hard to get your head around.

Also you should learn what averages and percentages are. Also, poor white students outperform middle class blacks in every area. SO you tell me what is going on. You know the truth. We all know the truth and its high time we started talking about it without the name calling and stupidity.

Location hidden

#268 Jan 16, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>Agreed.

Unfortunately because of the lingering effects of generational institutionalized discrimination not every person HAS the same opportunity; especially when it comes to access to a decent education.

For me, that's the only meaningful change we can make. There will always be bigots like plain2see, but that doesn't mean we can't take action to ensure everyone DOES have the same basic opportunity to "be the best they can be".

I agree people are primarily responsible for their own lives and their own success or failure. But we need to address the existing INSTITUTIONAL inequities which can significantly contribute to that success or failure.

Changing how we fund our public schools is THE most effective change we could make. Until we do that, we will always have pockets of extremely poor undereducated people- regardless of their race.
We are on the same page now man. I just don't agree with this article painting private schools to be intolerant to other races because we aren't that way and I hate the fact that articles like this paint the south as cross burning, rope toting, inbred white trash. I'm a well educated man of my own doing, God knows it wasn't from my family. I love the south but I as you said, hate the bigotry. That's coming from ALL races.

Location hidden

#269 Jan 16, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>Here's a fact for you: you can provide equal access, which is what he have now, but you cannot provide equal outcomes, which I know is hard to get your head around.

Also you should learn what averages and percentages are. Also, poor white students outperform middle class blacks in every area. SO you tell me what is going on. You know the truth. We all know the truth and its high time we started talking about it without the name calling and stupidity.
That's is a bald face lie. Growing up I was poor. I'm not dumb by any means but when I was in the public system there were plenty of blacks both lower income and middle class who had the same grades as I did and some with even better grades. Keep in mind I graduated with a 3.4 GPA. Where are you getting your facts from?
McGruff

Elizabethtown, KY

#271 Jan 16, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>Really?

So laws giving special consideration to women-owned businesses getting federal contracts doesn't apply to all races? It only applies to minorities??

How so??

Last time I checked, women are actually the majority in this country AND the majority of them are in fact white.

The laws apply to ANYONE who can prove they are economically and/or educationally disadvantaged due the effects of generational institutionalized discrimination, REGARDLESS OF RACE.
no nitwit it applies to women. That is sexiest.

No it don't. It is for minorities. Not for anyone. So by contrast if a gov makes a law that says anyone who can prove they are part of a group that has hit preferential treatment then you will get a contract, or aid, or special tax rates would also be legal and not racist in your mind?

“Yet another average white man.”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#272 Jan 16, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Assinging a specific attribute (whether negative or positive) to and entire race of people is THE definition of racist stereotype.

And if it happens to be the truth?
Grobbbbbbb
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#273 Jan 16, 2013
Pappasmurf2252 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's is a bald face lie. Growing up I was poor. I'm not dumb by any means but when I was in the public system there were plenty of blacks both lower income and middle class who had the same grades as I did and some with even better grades. Keep in mind I graduated with a 3.4 GPA. Where are you getting your facts from?
Averages and percentages.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/12/11/ut...

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#274 Jan 16, 2013
Pappasmurf2252 wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, let me take a minute to thank you for what you've done for our country. You have my utmost respect. I understand where you are coming from but please understand my viewpoint. I stand corrected in saying there are no schools like that. I remembered a football game I attended between a public school and a private school. The STUDENTS were less than excepting to the public school kids. The schools themselves are not bias, if you have the money they will take in anyone that wants to join.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

I agree there are a lot of good schools, but as usual there are enough exceptions which gives them all a black eye.

Tawas City, Michigan

#275 Jan 16, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a fact for you: you can provide equal access, which is what he have now, but you cannot provide equal outcomes, which I know is hard to get your head around.
We all know you're a racist.

That's enough.

Tawas City, Michigan

#276 Jan 16, 2013
Pappasmurf2252 wrote:
<quoted text>
We are on the same page now man. I just don't agree with this article painting private schools to be intolerant to other races because we aren't that way and I hate the fact that articles like this paint the south as cross burning, rope toting, inbred white trash. I'm a well educated man of my own doing, God knows it wasn't from my family. I love the south but I as you said, hate the bigotry. That's coming from ALL races.
See, when we turn the heat down, we find out we agree on more than we disagree on.

And obviously the hatred & bigotry is not limited to the south; we have plenty of that here in Michigan too (and everywhere else).

I'll put my paint brush away for now.......

Location hidden

#277 Jan 16, 2013
plain2see wrote:
<quoted text>Averages and percentages.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/12/11/ut...
Are you seriously referencing your material to The Blaze? That's like me quoting The Daily Show as a liable news source.

Tawas City, Michigan

#278 Jan 16, 2013
McGruff wrote:
<quoted text>
no nitwit it applies to women. That is sexiest.
No it don't. It is for minorities. Not for anyone. So by contrast if a gov makes a law that says anyone who can prove they are part of a group that has hit preferential treatment then you will get a contract, or aid, or special tax rates would also be legal and not racist in your mind?
You keep focusing on race, or in this case gender (I wonder why), when the actual criteria is being econonmically or educationally disadvanted due to a history of generational institutionalized discrimination.

So ANYONE-(black white hispanic asian straight gay man woman jew athiest catholic indian italian cajun etc,etc,etc)- who can show they are economically and/or educationally disadvantaged due to the history of generational institutionalized discrimination can qualify for additional consideration.

If that's YOU, then you qualify. If it's NOT you, then you don't qualify. It has nothing to do with your race.

Tawas City, Michigan

#279 Jan 16, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
And if it happens to be the truth?
Grobbbbbbb
Nothing applies to EVERY member of a race or ethnicity etc. Not even that factor which qualifies them as a member of that group- i.e. all whites are white, because we're not all white.
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#280 Jan 17, 2013
Pappasmurf2252 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you seriously referencing your material to The Blaze? That's like me quoting The Daily Show as a liable news source.
Oh well the information still rings true, because its, you know, true. People like you are so annoying. You are whats known as a DWL, I bet I am right on the money with that one.

“Yet another average white man.”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#281 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing applies to EVERY member of a race or ethnicity etc. Not even that factor which qualifies them as a member of that group- i.e. all whites are white, because we're not all white.

But we are ALL guilty of slavery and Jim Crow, right? Isn't that the message we are all getting pretty loud and proud these days? I've even been told that white people invented slavery. I also don't see much discussion about different white ethnicities. I'm fairly certain it is because we are all assumed to be culturally neutral. And of course, we all have small dicks and can't jump or dance. So what use are we? Maybe we should all move to some place and leave the rest of the world alone.
Grobbbbbbb

Tawas City, Michigan

#282 Jan 17, 2013
Grob Hahn wrote:
<quoted text>
But we are ALL guilty of slavery and Jim Crow, right? Isn't that the message we are all getting pretty loud and proud these days? I've even been told that white people invented slavery. I also don't see much discussion about different white ethnicities. I'm fairly certain it is because we are all assumed to be culturally neutral. And of course, we all have small dicks and can't jump or dance. So what use are we? Maybe we should all move to some place and leave the rest of the world alone.
Grobbbbbbb
Nope, I never said that. Sounds like you're a bit oversensitive to the issue, maybe because of a guilty conscience?

My point is all white people in this country have benefited from the generational institutionalized white privilege which existed (and in many ways still DOES exist) for the past 200+ years, whether your ancestors had slaves or not.

Wealth & privilege has been passed down generation to generation, and from the founding of our country that wealth & privilege has been primarily concentrated in the white male community.

Even poor whites- especially in the south- had considerable more privilege than poor blacks or hispanics or natives. Just one example- they were allowed to vote even though they couldn't afford the poll tax or meet the literacy test, while blacks in a similiar situation were denied that right. Gee, guess who all those whites voted for- the white candidate who supported their race-based privileges.

Of course whites are not solely to blame for the current economic & educational disparities which exist in America, but we ALL benefited in some way from that generational white privilege and we ALL have an obligation to work to eliminate the remaining economic & educational disparites which still exist because of that.

The most effective way to do that is to change the way we fund public schools in America from a property valued based system to a per capita system. Every public school in America should have the same basic funding per pupil, the same safe educational environment, and the same level of quality education regardless of the property values in the school district.
McGruff

Lexington, KY

#283 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>You keep focusing on race, or in this case gender (I wonder why), when the actual criteria is being econonmically or educationally disadvanted due to a history of generational institutionalized discrimination.

So ANYONE-(black white hispanic asian straight gay man woman jew athiest catholic indian italian cajun etc,etc,etc)- who can show they are economically and/or educationally disadvantaged due to the history of generational institutionalized discrimination can qualify for additional consideration.

If that's YOU, then you qualify. If it's NOT you, then you don't qualify. It has nothing to do with your race.
no it's about race. That what it is designed to do. Address race. You are a racist. Spin all you want but you support racist policies
McGruff

Lexington, KY

#284 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>You keep focusing on race, or in this case gender (I wonder why), when the actual criteria is being econonmically or educationally disadvanted due to a history of generational institutionalized discrimination.

same as my example. The gov can also do the opposite and grant favours to people who have not been discriminated against and exclude those that have. Do you also believe that is true?
plain2see

Indianola, MS

#285 Jan 17, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, I never said that. Sounds like you're a bit oversensitive to the issue, maybe because of a guilty conscience?
My point is all white people in this country have benefited from the generational institutionalized white privilege which existed (and in many ways still DOES exist) for the past 200+ years, whether your ancestors had slaves or not.
Wealth & privilege has been passed down generation to generation, and from the founding of our country that wealth & privilege has been primarily concentrated in the white male community.
Even poor whites- especially in the south- had considerable more privilege than poor blacks or hispanics or natives. Just one example- they were allowed to vote even though they couldn't afford the poll tax or meet the literacy test, while blacks in a similiar situation were denied that right. Gee, guess who all those whites voted for- the white candidate who supported their race-based privileges.
Of course whites are not solely to blame for the current economic & educational disparities which exist in America, but we ALL benefited in some way from that generational white privilege and we ALL have an obligation to work to eliminate the remaining economic & educational disparites which still exist because of that.
The most effective way to do that is to change the way we fund public schools in America from a property valued based system to a per capita system. Every public school in America should have the same basic funding per pupil, the same safe educational environment, and the same level of quality education regardless of the property values in the school district.
Yes my white privilege allows me to work and pay my bills and try to send my kids to a decent school where they won't be raped beat up or accosted-and actually learn something. Oh that awful white privilege I tell ya.

I bear no white guilt, and I teach my children to laugh at such a notion. It is very laughable that you even mention such a thing. Typical yankee progressive b.s. is what you spew. Save it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cloud darkens over Thunder Bay as mayor charged... 3 hr Fort William 1
News Mom of teen lost at sea sues other missing boy'... Sat gazoo 1
News No foul play suspected in Jefferson City teenag... Fri where 1
News Graphic Video: Teens mock drowning man Fri dam fr 2
News Man accused of stalking mom, masturbating in vi... Fri weaponX 6
News The Girl Scout murders revisited (Jun '07) Jul 20 obieone 255
News Gay Israeli Celebs Decry Same-Sex Adoption Ban Jul 20 Wrong Move 5
More from around the web