Mountain Mission School offers hope in the mountains

There are 20 comments on the Http story from May 3, 2010, titled Mountain Mission School offers hope in the mountains. In it, Http reports that:

GRUNDY, Va. - Claudius says he's among "the chosen few." You wouldn't think that from the circumstances he was raised in: At age 13, he was about to be sent to foster care or to live with a relative who'd harmed him.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Http.

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Since: Jun 11

Big Rock,Va

#42 Nov 14, 2011
Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you about Ron Heller, but don't agree with you about his wife. I remember the people came at Thanksgiving from Indiana. One of the men gave me a dollar. Mrs. Heller (Jeannette Shrader) pulled me into a small hallway and pinched my arm and told me that I begged for the dollar. I told her no, they gave it to me ...she called me a liar. I was just a little 2nd. grader. I never forgot that. Also, Thelma Rice used the hot wheel tracks on the girls. I saw her beat "Carolyn Catfish" in the shower until her legs bled....there were no curtains on our showers, bath tub areas, or toilets. I never went back there, and never will. I am haunted by what has been done in the name of God. Kids used to get into trouble for kissing...but Cindy Swiney was the worst, and now she is running that place....GOD HELP US!
I agree with you about his wife..that is why I never mention her name.I know the girls were abused as well as the boys.I remember Cindy Swiney as well..Lord help the ones that are there now.Mrs Clark...Granny and her hot wheel tracks and shaving the boy's hair bald.I've heard stories of boy's hair being shaved because of head lice there.I am not ashamed to tell anyone what happened to me...I challenge them to prove it wrong.
Millionaires raising money for them and children in Buchanan County going hungry..what a travesty.Someone somewhere some day will answer the accusations againist the school.
The only thing I saw them do was destroy families and seperate them...mentally/physically/sex ual abuse kids.

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#43 Nov 14, 2011
Wonder wrote:
When you compare the public reaction to the Penn State abuse allegations to the public outcry (or lack thereof)over the Mountain Mission allegations you have to wonder. Where was the rage? Why was there no fallout for the people in responsible positions? Why was there no fallout for Mountain Mission?
They call it coverup..one boy,Johnny Dotson did tell about the allegations and no one believed him.I testified in the Court case and MMS never once tried to disprove my allegations.Money and BIG lawyers and the COC and you can coverup almost anything.I have said for years...I wouldn't send my dog there.
People in Grundy/Buchanan County have turned a blind eye to this school for years.In the 60's when I was there...the things they done to me..people are in jail today for doing less.Being chained to a bed for running away..whippings...shaving my head.Today no one wants to hear this and doesn't believe it.
Anna

Baton Rouge, LA

#44 Nov 20, 2011
regina steele marrs wrote:
<quoted text>
They call it coverup..one boy,Johnny Dotson did tell about the allegations and no one believed him.I testified in the Court case and MMS never once tried to disprove my allegations.Money and BIG lawyers and the COC and you can coverup almost anything.I have said for years...I wouldn't send my dog there.
People in Grundy/Buchanan County have turned a blind eye to this school for years.In the 60's when I was there...the things they done to me..people are in jail today for doing less.Being chained to a bed for running away..whippings...shaving my head.Today no one wants to hear this and doesn't believe it.
I hated Thelma Rice. She made me get baptized one night. Do you remember those tent revivals where those evangelist use to come and MMS would bus us to the tents so it looked like it was a successful revival? Well, one night it was storming and the tent was about to come down. When they started playing Amazing Grace, Thelma "helped" me and others to get baptized! I was there for more than 16 years and I was baptized too many times to remember. The fact that Cindy Swiney is running that place nauseates me. She is a continuation of Sublett and Swiney. I remember on a choir trip, my sister was a little late returning to the bus. Charliece Swiney pinched her arm so badly and she was so bruised. Like Carolyn Catfish, my sister didn't cry. I hope to God there is a place for the people who ran MMS in the name of God! I wanted to ask if you are kin to Brenda Marrs?
Country Girl

Knoxville, TN

#45 Nov 20, 2011
Anna wrote:
<quoted text>
I hated Thelma Rice. She made me get baptized one night. Do you remember those tent revivals where those evangelist use to come and MMS would bus us to the tents so it looked like it was a successful revival? Well, one night it was storming and the tent was about to come down. When they started playing Amazing Grace, Thelma "helped" me and others to get baptized! I was there for more than 16 years and I was baptized too many times to remember. The fact that Cindy Swiney is running that place nauseates me. She is a continuation of Sublett and Swiney. I remember on a choir trip, my sister was a little late returning to the bus. Charliece Swiney pinched her arm so badly and she was so bruised. Like Carolyn Catfish, my sister didn't cry. I hope to God there is a place for the people who ran MMS in the name of God! I wanted to ask if you are kin to Brenda Marrs?
Who is Carolyn Catfish? Is that her real name?

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#46 Nov 20, 2011
Anna wrote:
<quoted text>
Brenda Marrs is my sister in law and my husband's brother.My husband's name is Johnny Marrs...well known at MMS.I remember the men teachers...helping kids getting baptized.I can remember ''Granny'' whipping me with a hot wheel race car track...Marvin Swiney..whipping me so hard that I couldn't set down.I know all about McDonald...he was a wacko.Cindy Swiney...words aren't enough to describe how I feel about her.I hope you remember me and know what I am saying is the truth.I ran away so many times..they put the fastest guy at MMS with me all the time.I fooled them for a month and gone again.When I came back..head shaved and tied with dog chains to a bed one night..Ron Heller untied me the next morning and I took Mrs.Clak's chains with me slipping off.The best thing ever happened was I was put into a reform school and got away from MMS.

Posted by
Johnny Marrs

If you don't believe me...prove me wrong and shut me up.I have no worries ...I am telling the truth.This is not aimed at people who support my opinions.
Casey

Gonzales, LA

#47 Nov 21, 2011
Country Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is Carolyn Catfish? Is that her real name?
I think her names was Caroly Catrin (something like that)...she had blonde, blonde hair and blue eyes....we called her Carolyn Catfish...why, I don't know. I always wondered what happened to her. Also, there was a guy named Bobby Jones, and his sister, Carrie Jones. They were made fun of so terribly. I have horror stories about what the older boys did to the younger boys....guess they learned from Dr. McDonald.
Casey

Gonzales, LA

#48 Nov 21, 2011
regina steele marrs wrote:
<quoted text>
Brenda Marrs is my sister in law and my husband's brother.My husband's name is Johnny Marrs...well known at MMS.I remember the men teachers...helping kids getting baptized.I can remember ''Granny'' whipping me with a hot wheel race car track...Marvin Swiney..whipping me so hard that I couldn't set down.I know all about McDonald...he was a wacko.Cindy Swiney...words aren't enough to describe how I feel about her.I hope you remember me and know what I am saying is the truth.I ran away so many times..they put the fastest guy at MMS with me all the time.I fooled them for a month and gone again.When I came back..head shaved and tied with dog chains to a bed one night..Ron Heller untied me the next morning and I took Mrs.Clak's chains with me slipping off.The best thing ever happened was I was put into a reform school and got away from MMS.
Posted by
Johnny Marrs
If you don't believe me...prove me wrong and shut me up.I have no worries ...I am telling the truth.This is not aimed at people who support my opinions.
Little by little, God will send for them. McDonald was first. He could not have died a more fitting death. His son got his due too! There were people who tried to expose MMS. Someday, it will come. I hope I live to see that day.
truthful

River Falls, WI

#49 Dec 2, 2011
disagree wrote:
<quoted text>My child was enrolled there for a short time and I know for a fact, he was prejudised against, For Being White!
Mine was there for a short period of time in kindergarden and she was judged as well for being a white child. They also seemed to want to instill in their minds that they are better bc they attend that school and they have the best education I applaude trying to give them confidnece but not to instill they are better than everyone else in this world, they are not better than anyone nor beneath we are all EQUAL white or black!

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#50 Dec 9, 2011
Former Student wrote:
I would like to clarify a few things that was said by Mrs Marrs. First, I know your husband and went to school with him. I liked him and his family very much. I'm sorry that he has such bad memories but for myself the good out ways the bad. Second, my brother and I were orphans and received social security checks. A portion (very small)of that was taken for our care and we were given an allowance every month and the rest was put into a savings account by Mrs.Sublett. If we wanted extra money for choir trips, clothes,etc. We only had to ask. After graduation we were given the savings account books to get our money.
Third, Johnny Dotson was a troubled young man. I knew him personally and he was only being led by a horrible man who had it in for MMS. I was personally approched by JD and this man and offered money to tell lies. Fourth, at the time of the whippings that you described, parents everywhere were whipping their children. I received more whipping at the hands of foster parents than at MMS. You need to remember that every child is precious and in need of a loving environment. No its not the same as being in a loving home with a mother and father but most times that was not possible. Society has changed since MMS was conceived. Now the state steps in and puts the area children in foster care. I personally know of several people who only takes these kids for the money. Are they any better? "Judge not lest you be judged" I thank God every day that I was chosen by him to attend this wonderful school. I was taught values that have remained with me and make me a better person for having been a part of the MMS family. I am PROUD to be an alumni of this fine school and would want my kids or grandkids to be there if for some reason we were unable to care for them.
So for the record...you support child abuse then and now.
If you went to school with Johnny Marrs...tell me when and you yourself knows of the abuses that happened at MMS.

I knew Johnny Dotson and testified in his trial...I knew what he said was true.I wasn't offered any money at no time and to say anyone was offered money is a lie.The first thing you would have done...was run to Marvin Swiney and tell him.

I am proud to be againist MMS and hate that place...then and now.I have found out why MMS never had the DSS on campus.The DSS didn't have no authority there or the health department.I found out why MMS quit cooking meals on campus...health violations...do some research on your favorite school.Then bury your head in the sand..when someone accuses someone of abuse...and then raise up long enough to attack the accuser.

Posted by Johnny Marrs

12/9/2011
Former Student

Grundy, VA

#51 Dec 9, 2011
Johnny, I'm not going to debate with you. Apparently there was things that I didn't know about. If these things happened than it was never known in the girls dormitory. IF these things happened, then they will answer to the LORD, not man. As for myself, I was always treated fairly, got a great education and made life long friends. I have great memories and they are mine to keep. I'm sorry for the ones you must endure. I will pray that you find peace.

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#52 Dec 9, 2011
Former Student wrote:
Johnny, I'm not going to debate with you. Apparently there was things that I didn't know about. If these things happened than it was never known in the girls dormitory. IF these things happened, then they will answer to the LORD, not man. As for myself, I was always treated fairly, got a great education and made life long friends. I have great memories and they are mine to keep. I'm sorry for the ones you must endure. I will pray that you find peace.
There were things that happened at the girl's side of MMS.My sister was there 18yrs and saw alot on that side.
Charlie was there until 18.
All I ask you to do...do some research online about MMS and why they're not DSS associated.Did you know a former graduate was assistant DSS director at Buchanan County DSS and there is one woman who works at BCDSS...a former MMS graduate.She also worked in Adoptions/Foster care.

Don't take my word...search for yourself online.

Johnny Dotson was right and not enough students wouldn't come forward.How many times were you spanked by a female teacher.If you were there in the 60's or 70's it happened.

Ask MMS why they're exempt from DSS...according to a little know law.That I will publish when I find it.
How about seperation of church and state...DSS sent 99% of the kids to MMS...I hope you wasn't one.DSS abandoned you afterwards.
stamp collector

Richlands, VA

#53 Dec 10, 2011
I was in MMS in 1973 for about 41 days because my mother was a paranoid schizophrenic and was hauled off to Southwestern State Hospital "Marion" for the second time. I was seven years old. Things did happen at MMS. It was pretty bad in a lot of ways there. I was given back to Mom the day after she was released from Marion. No follow up. No welfare checks. My mother was still insane. By the time the summons/subpeona came a few years later for an MMS trial. I KNEW BETTER than to open my mouth. I was completely terrified. Thankfully (or so I thought) I didn't have to go. I don't know what had happened with that case or who filed it but the trial didn't happen. Maybe if the thing had happened the lawyers might have noticed something or tried to figure out what I was so afraid of. When I opened my mouth she shut it! Said I was trying to make HER look bad. Things were bad at MMS but home was 10 times worse. And nobody knew. There are people to this day who swear Mom's a saint. Public image is a powerful thing. Many don't believe you about MMS Johnny because it hasn't been their own experience. The same way people would NOT believe me if I even tried to tell the truth about Mom, because in their interactions with her she comes across as caring compassionate mother of the year material. There are sometimes in life when we have to just let some things go, let people believe what they want to believe, and face the cold hard reality that vindication may never come.

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#54 Dec 10, 2011
stamp collector wrote:
I was in MMS in 1973 for about 41 days because my mother was a paranoid schizophrenic and was hauled off to Southwestern State Hospital "Marion" for the second time. I was seven years old. Things did happen at MMS. It was pretty bad in a lot of ways there. I was given back to Mom the day after she was released from Marion. No follow up. No welfare checks. My mother was still insane. By the time the summons/subpeona came a few years later for an MMS trial. I KNEW BETTER than to open my mouth. I was completely terrified. Thankfully (or so I thought) I didn't have to go. I don't know what had happened with that case or who filed it but the trial didn't happen. Maybe if the thing had happened the lawyers might have noticed something or tried to figure out what I was so afraid of. When I opened my mouth she shut it! Said I was trying to make HER look bad. Things were bad at MMS but home was 10 times worse. And nobody knew. There are people to this day who swear Mom's a saint. Public image is a powerful thing. Many don't believe you about MMS Johnny because it hasn't been their own experience. The same way people would NOT believe me if I even tried to tell the truth about Mom, because in their interactions with her she comes across as caring compassionate mother of the year material. There are sometimes in life when we have to just let some things go, let people believe what they want to believe, and face the cold hard reality that vindication may never come.
I was getting out of the Reform School...after MMS and the Court sent me there.You were one of the lucky ones to get away from MMS and never go back.
Makes you wonder about seperation of Church and State...DSS putting State kids into a Church ran school.And knowing they couldn't go and check on them...they didn't have the authority.

The first thing people do now about MMS is attack the accuser and not check facts and automatically believe the accused is innocent.If people have the Gall to attack me...when their kids or someone else comes to them about someone abusing/molesting them...be sure and ATTACK the child and automatically not believe them.

Look MMS online and see for yourself...the State Supreme Court of Va said Dan Bloch and Johnny Dotson had a case againist MMS.I knew him and knew what he said happen,did happen.They called Johnny Dotson a troubled young man...if former MMS kids would quit being scared and speak up about abuses...they would shut the place down.

Posted by
Johnny Marrs
Dec.10,2011
go national

Grundy, VA

#55 Dec 10, 2011
someone should try to contact one of the national shows like today show or dateline maybe that would get this stuff broght to light.
go national

Grundy, VA

#56 Dec 10, 2011
a lot of things can be done now through the internet without being shut down before it gets out of grundy.
Steve

Baton Rouge, LA

#57 Dec 11, 2011
go national wrote:
a lot of things can be done now through the internet without being shut down before it gets out of grundy.
It's like crapping on a wheel...what goes around comes around. Jesus is coming soon to expose that cess pool. Under the guise of religion, children were beaten and molested. Why would Sublett or Swiney report the abuse? They would have to get a real job. I am going to be contacting national news organizations to check into this "mischief in the mountains."

Johnny Marrs, your sister Brenda goes to MMS because she is under the control of loyal MMS student Faye Hess.

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#58 Dec 11, 2011
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
It's like crapping on a wheel...what goes around comes around. Jesus is coming soon to expose that cess pool. Under the guise of religion, children were beaten and molested. Why would Sublett or Swiney report the abuse? They would have to get a real job. I am going to be contacting national news organizations to check into this "mischief in the mountains."
Johnny Marrs, your sister Brenda goes to MMS because she is under the control of loyal MMS student Faye Hess.
I know Faye Hess and her support of MMS.I haven't figured out why Brenda goes there...Brenda doesn't live with Faye any more.
to be heard

Bristol, VA

#59 Dec 11, 2011
Former Student wrote:
I would like to clarify a few things that was said by Mrs Marrs. First, I know your husband and went to school with him. I liked him and his family very much. I'm sorry that he has such bad memories but for myself the good out ways the bad. Second, my brother and I were orphans and received social security checks. A portion (very small)of that was taken for our care and we were given an allowance every month and the rest was put into a savings account by Mrs.Sublett. If we wanted extra money for choir trips, clothes,etc. We only had to ask. After graduation we were given the savings account books to get our money.
Third, Johnny Dotson was a troubled young man. I knew him personally and he was only being led by a horrible man who had it in for MMS. I was personally approched by JD and this man and offered money to tell lies. Fourth, at the time of the whippings that you described, parents everywhere were whipping their children. I received more whipping at the hands of foster parents than at MMS. You need to remember that every child is precious and in need of a loving environment. No its not the same as being in a loving home with a mother and father but most times that was not possible. Society has changed since MMS was conceived. Now the state steps in and puts the area children in foster care. I personally know of several people who only takes these kids for the money. Are they any better? "Judge not lest you be judged" I thank God every day that I was chosen by him to attend this wonderful school. I was taught values that have remained with me and make me a better person for having been a part of the MMS family. I am PROUD to be an alumni of this fine school and would want my kids or grandkids to be there if for some reason we were unable to care for them.
Thank you for telling the truth i agree with u completely
to be heard

Bristol, VA

#60 Dec 11, 2011
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
yes jesus is coming back and im happy but jesus us here now and he is blessing Mountain Mission School for a reason. they are obviously doing something write and the Lord always blesses and watches over his people

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Big Rock,Va

#61 Dec 11, 2011
to be heard wrote:
<quoted text>
yes jesus is coming back and im happy but jesus us here now and he is blessing Mountain Mission School for a reason. they are obviously doing something write and the Lord always blesses and watches over his people
Go and do some research on MMS...did you know?

Mountain Mission first charter was for white kids only of either sex.Not my words...it's in the history.For the record,no black kids attended MMS until the 1970's.I wonder if MMS was a racist place?

I wonder if they ever changed their charter?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Coming Summer Border Surge of Illegal Immig... 1 hr INFIDEL 4
News Ontario teachers' strike: What you need to know... 3 hr so much at once 1
News Ontario's education system in turmoil due to te... 3 hr check Actons vs G... 1
News Halton public board student trustee concerned b... 4 hr Oakville 1
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 4 hr Boro parent 31,821
News Take a look around minister Sandals. Wake up. 6 hr stupit 2
News Strategy found for safely prescribing antidepre... 8 hr HumanSpirit 1
More from around the web