Mountain Mission School offers hope in the mountains

May 3, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Http

GRUNDY, Va. - Claudius says he's among "the chosen few." You wouldn't think that from the circumstances he was raised in: At age 13, he was about to be sent to foster care or to live with a relative who'd harmed him.

Comments
201 - 220 of 220 Comments Last updated May 11, 2014
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Charlie Babes

Roanoke, VA

#207 Jan 28, 2013
Don Bloomfield wrote:
<quoted text>ok I was brought there when I was 3 and I stayed there for 11 yrs ,and I remember Johnny so well ,they couldn't keep him there ,he was chained outside on the boys dormitory,and yes if you got out of line you had to stand up to eat and get beat with hot tracks or switches,I ended rheumatic fever there because they didn't recognize strep throat something an antibotic would of took care of ,I've had 3 heart surgerys ,but hey I'm not knocking the school too much ,but back in them days they made you do things a human wouldn't do today,I would love to go back and see it now ,but back then that swineys and his wife where there to take over and get rich ,my theory,but hey for kids that have no place to go,it would work,just watch your back,I seen them sing at Bristol motor speedway,NASCAR,they was good,just hope they don't do things that they use to do,tell Johnny I said hey,and ask him if he remembers my brother Carl he ran away about 30 times,I was young.
I remember you and Carl. Were you the one that jumped out of a second story window? I liked playing basketball with Carl.

You're right about the lack of medical care there. Miss Grannert used aspirin and bacitracin to cure everything. I think most boys just endured their illnesses to avoid having to go see that pecker checker, Dr. McDonald.

Sorry to hear about your surgeries. I had a cath myself but everything turned out OK. Health care was not a big priority there. Nor was nutrition. I missed more than a few meals because Heller was guarding the door and I was 1 second late...
I also remember boys stealing food from the Piggly Wiggly because they were just so damned hungry.

I'd be surprised if many kids who were there when we were have many teeth left. I remember brushing my teeth with a worn out toothbrush and a bar of soap. I think I got to go to the dentist one time in 14 years there. I remember that girl ( Dolores Taylor?) dying from an abscess tooth. That was criminal.

I think about that place every day. I often wonder about how most kids turned out. But there are some that were just pure fucking evil. Jerry Persinger, be glad that you've never crossed my path...
oh my

Portsmouth, OH

#209 Jan 29, 2013
Charlie Babes wrote:
<quoted text>I remember you and Carl. Were you the one that jumped out of a second story window? I liked playing basketball with Carl.

You're right about the lack of medical care there. Miss Grannert used aspirin and bacitracin to cure everything. I think most boys just endured their illnesses to avoid having to go see that pecker checker, Dr. McDonald.

Sorry to hear about your surgeries. I had a cath myself but everything turned out OK. Health care was not a big priority there. Nor was nutrition. I missed more than a few meals because Heller was guarding the door and I was 1 second late...
I also remember boys stealing food from the Piggly Wiggly because they were just so damned hungry.

I'd be surprised if many kids who were there when we were have many teeth left. I remember brushing my teeth with a worn out toothbrush and a bar of soap. I think I got to go to the dentist one time in 14 years there. I remember that girl ( Dolores Taylor?) dying from an abscess tooth. That was criminal.

I think about that place every day. I often wonder about how most kids turned out. But there are some that were just pure fucking evil. Jerry Persinger, be glad that you've never crossed my path...
Dam man I remember the name it seemed like you was always in trouble for some reason,yeah we all jumped out of the second floor window to get on the furnance building,we at least tried to have fun ,but got the shit beat out of us when we got caught,but hey I was told if that pecker of a doctor would of have gave me a 10 cent antibotic at the time I would of never had these valves go bad,but I'm still alive where lots of people didn't think I'd make it,don't you remember Johnny they treated him like a evil prisioner,I bet he had fun escaping like my brother Carl did so many times,remember Chet mCclanahan he stayed down there in the teacher on the bottom back door on first floor,never forget hanging that big black snake on her door after we popped its head off ,she freaked,I'd could go on and on about how bad they treated us,but hey I'm on Facebook,been married couple times ,got kids all grown up,but hey that was a prison back then,hope your doing good dude,ttyl
oh my

Portsmouth, OH

#210 Jan 29, 2013
scarred wrote:
<quoted text>I wish there was a support group for former mms students. Mine are not "precious" memories.
I might know ya ,who r you ,don't worry they can't eat ya like they probably did back then ,I'd hate to see how many kids r buried on them grounds
bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#211 Jan 29, 2013
Hey Charlie them last post was me my girlfriend change the name for herself

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Since: Jun 11

Big Rock,Va

#212 Jan 29, 2013
Charlie Babes wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember you and Carl. Were you the one that jumped out of a second story window? I liked playing basketball with Carl.
You're right about the lack of medical care there. Miss Grannert used aspirin and bacitracin to cure everything. I think most boys just endured their illnesses to avoid having to go see that pecker checker, Dr. McDonald.
Sorry to hear about your surgeries. I had a cath myself but everything turned out OK. Health care was not a big priority there. Nor was nutrition. I missed more than a few meals because Heller was guarding the door and I was 1 second late...
I also remember boys stealing food from the Piggly Wiggly because they were just so damned hungry.
I'd be surprised if many kids who were there when we were have many teeth left. I remember brushing my teeth with a worn out toothbrush and a bar of soap. I think I got to go to the dentist one time in 14 years there. I remember that girl ( Dolores Taylor?) dying from an abscess tooth. That was criminal.
I think about that place every day. I often wonder about how most kids turned out. But there are some that were just pure fucking evil. Jerry Persinger, be glad that you've never crossed my path...
Mrs. Grannert's cure for meaness , a bald head and a hot wheels race car track.
Does anyone remember the candy store, and stealing off the man who brought the candy to the boys side?
bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#213 Jan 29, 2013
regina steele marrs wrote:
<quoted text>Mrs. Grannert's cure for meaness , a bald head and a hot wheels race car track.
Does anyone remember the candy store, and stealing off the man who brought the candy to the boys side?
I remember a little bit on candy,where at in the boys dorm was it at,I must of not got any candy,,,lol

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Since: Jun 11

Big Rock,Va

#214 Jan 29, 2013
bloomfield wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember a little bit on candy,where at in the boys dorm was it at,I must of not got any candy,,,lol
The candy store was on first floor, and the sold candy and pop out of it.
I remember catching the candy salesman, taking candy and the I took some from his open truck.
We had to have money to buy it, and who had any money.
bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#215 Jan 29, 2013
regina steele marrs wrote:
<quoted text>The candy store was on first floor, and the sold candy and pop out of it.
I remember catching the candy salesman, taking candy and the I took some from his open truck.
We had to have money to buy it, and who had any money.
I don't remember having any money,but remember going to piggy wiggy to get some chew or cigs
Minnie22

Bristol, TN

#216 Jan 30, 2013
Johnny and Regina, I'm interested to know how you came to be at MMS. Also, did you graduate from MMS....lastly, where are u now and what do you do for a living

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Since: Jun 11

Big Rock,Va

#217 Jan 30, 2013
Minnie22 wrote:
Johnny and Regina, I'm interested to know how you came to be at MMS. Also, did you graduate from MMS....lastly, where are u now and what do you do for a living
Why in the world , would I answer a personal question like that. I am not hard to find in Buchanan County, my REAL address is on this profile.

1. Go ask MMS , why they took kids in , and kept them unnecessarily for up to 18yrs.
2. Go ask MMS , who gave them the right to adopt my brother out of MMS ,and other kids.
3. Go ask MMS , why they allowed a Doctor to treat kids , and later be accused of Child Molestation.
4. Go and ask MMS , why they would physically abuse kids and chain Johnny Marrs to a bed.
4. Go and ask Randal Lee Marrs , my brother at MMS.

Posted by
Johnny Marrs
peggy

Pikeville, KY

#218 Feb 1, 2013
i used to go there, my dad put me in there went i was 9 and i stay for 3 years,didi not like it.
bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#219 Feb 1, 2013
peggy wrote:
i used to go there, my dad put me in there went i was 9 and i stay for 3 years,didi not like it.
Hey Peggy we was there in 60's and 70's,what was your last name
jpeggy

Pikeville, KY

#220 Feb 1, 2013
yes it was last name church
david

Bristol, VA

#221 Feb 2, 2013
Prejudiced becauaw he was white? What?
bloomfield

Portsmouth, OH

#222 Feb 2, 2013
david wrote:
Prejudiced becauaw he was white? What?
What r you even talking about
Brock

Fredericksburg, VA

#223 Feb 15, 2013
I was placed at Mount Mission in 1970 when I was six and was there until 1976. I remember it as a horrible place. I was passed through the 5th grade without being able to read or write. I believe I remember Gary Lowe.
Orphanage

Whitesburg, KY

#224 Apr 3, 2013
I remember the school in early 60's I was there with my two sisters and brother. I have been trying to find info about the school around that time. All I have is bad memories but I am sure it was not all bad. Anyone knows where I can get info please let me know. I have called the school no help. Thanks
Rachel

United States

#225 Mar 28, 2014
Former Student wrote:
I would like to clarify a few things that was said by Mrs Marrs. First, I know your husband and went to school with him. I liked him and his family very much. I'm sorry that he has such bad memories but for myself the good out ways the bad. Second, my brother and I were orphans and received social security checks. A portion (very small)of that was taken for our care and we were given an allowance every month and the rest was put into a savings account by Mrs.Sublett. If we wanted extra money for choir trips, clothes,etc. We only had to ask. After graduation we were given the savings account books to get our money.
Third, Johnny Dotson was a troubled young man. I knew him personally and he was only being led by a horrible man who had it in for MMS. I was personally approched by JD and this man and offered money to tell lies. Fourth, at the time of the whippings that you described, parents everywhere were whipping their children. I received more whipping at the hands of foster parents than at MMS. You need to remember that every child is precious and in need of a loving environment. No its not the same as being in a loving home with a mother and father but most times that was not possible. Society has changed since MMS was conceived. Now the state steps in and puts the area children in foster care. I personally know of several people who only takes these kids for the money. Are they any better? "Judge not lest you be judged" I thank God every day that I was chosen by him to attend this wonderful school. I was taught values that have remained with me and make me a better person for having been a part of the MMS family. I am PROUD to be an alumni of this fine school and would want my kids or grandkids to be there if for some reason we were unable to care for them.
My mother attended mms for over ten years.She and her two sisters were split up and I can tell you the place was not kind to her. Shoes that did not fit have left her feet deformed and lamp oil used on her head at three years of age to remove a lice infestation from others caused scars on her neck and back.
abused mms student

Clarksville, TN

#226 May 11, 2014
I also went to mms for 6 to 7 years and I was abused mentally and physically irene fassom and her husband were the worse there was abuse on large scale and it happened everyday so for anyone who says it didnt either u were not there or dont want to admit that it did I am still to this day messed up emotionally from mms and will be till I no longer am alive I hate and regret ever being sent to that school
I believe you

Kingsport, TN

#227 May 11, 2014
regina steele marrs wrote:
<quoted text>
This is Johnny Marrs and if you know me...you know I do noy agree with MMS values.No matter how you misconstrue them and being brainwashed.I testified about MMS and would do so again and let the whole world know what happen.Why did they quit taking American orphans and Social Services kids?
I challenge any person on here to show me a POOR American kid going to MMS...maybe my brother's kids...who teaches there.They do no teach special needs kids or take them..I asked a few years back.
I spent almost 3yrs in a reform school and was never wjipped or chained to a bed or put into solitary confinement.So you're telling me it was alright for MMMS to whip me with belts/switches/hot wheel race tracks and shave my head.It was alright to make a person go to a church they didn't go to and being indoctrinated into that doctrine...there is freedom of religion.MMS and the Welfare had a good plan..take kids from their parents and put them in MMS for years and no getting out.We tried to get my brothers/sister out and was no use.Even now Social Services won't put kids into foster homes..unless a last resort.
Ask MMS...why they did they take one of my brothers and adopt him out as a baby.When the parents were still alive and didn't agree.
Anyne who gets on here and agrees with MMS's policies now and then...something is wrong with them.You must believe in punishment for any infractions of the rules and no excuses.It is alright to whip a kid for running away to go home...or made to stand up for being late for eating.In almost 3yrs of reform school...when whipping was allowed.I was never whipped for any infractions...I got 6 moths for running away each time and other punishment,but no belts/swtiches/race car tracks.
As for the money...I NEVER SAW ONE DIME IN THE TIME I WAS THERE IN MMS.In the reform school....they kept meticulous records and showed me where it was spent by me for myself.I was DIRT POOR in the sixties and MMS was not no help and never taught me anything.
You can post the good things about MMS...just think real hard and you'll remember things that happened to you ..if you were there before the 80's or things that happened to others,
I believe you Johnny. I have read up on the matter. I am sorry this happened to you and your family. I am praying that God gives you comfort and strength while fighting for your cause. No child should ever be so lonely and I hope you are blessed with lots of love now. NEVER GIVE UP THE FIGHT!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Battle Lines Drawn At Silver Grove School (Oct '07) 22 min SG is Disaster 188
US condemns 'heinous murder' of Palestinian teen 36 min Asian Guy 1,595
DHS secretary says unaccompanied kids show need... 1 hr wild child 121
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 1 hr What the he-- 31,198
In the last 6 months, 37,477 illegal immigrant ... 11 hr anonymous 3
Hampton police arrest 3 teens in Northampton ro... 14 hr Tabb Man 1
Newtown Business Spotlight: Persnickety Promotions Fri Lou 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Family People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••