Mountain Mission School offers hope in the mountains

May 3, 2010 Full story: Http 220

GRUNDY, Va. - Claudius says he's among "the chosen few." You wouldn't think that from the circumstances he was raised in: At age 13, he was about to be sent to foster care or to live with a relative who'd harmed him.

Full Story
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Out Of Buch

Knoxville, TN

#1 May 16, 2010
I needed a good laugh and that article gave it to me. If anyone has ever tried to volunteer their time, money, or items to Mountain Mission they know how it really is there. No one appreciates anything you try to do for them there. Look at the so called administrators of the place. Where does the money the so called orphanage really go?
Still In Buch

Harrisonburg, VA

#2 May 16, 2010
Mountain Mission School is not what it used to be. Sam Hurley would not be pleased with what it has become.
Still Here Too

Harrisonburg, VA

#3 May 16, 2010
I'm a graduate of the school and have also taught there so I know a little on this subject.

First, no school is perfect and I wouldn't even try to put it in that light. But, the school provided an excellent education and in some cases better than the classes I had in college. The people there are some of most upstanding folks I know. However, as I said earlier that it isn't perfect and there are a few that don't adhere to the "mission" and that is to project Christ in all that we do.
love the school

Pounding Mill, VA

#4 May 16, 2010
I have two there and love the school. I love that the message is all about God. I love that there are people with different backgrounds in with my children. I love that the importance of education is emphasized. No comparison with any other school in this county.
I wannabe

Pounding Mill, VA

#5 May 16, 2010
I heard it was no longer an orphanage and that they only take blacks and minorities.

Since: Jul 11

Marcus Hook, PA

#6 Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, no school is perfect and the owners of that school are far from perfect. I graduated from MMS in 1970 and I am still trying to understand how the owners could knowingly allow a child sexual predator (Dr. McDonald) to victimize the children for a period of 30 yrs. They have denied that he did these things but of the eight reports to the Medical Board of Virginia five were from former MMS students. Estimates by the experts that study the field of childhood sexual abuse say that at the most only 10% of the victims ever come forward. What does that say about the potential number of victims from MMS let alone in the community at large.
I have been trying to get an investigative journalist to look into the history of MMS, Dr. McDonald, their relationship, and the fact that the owners of MMS knew of the abuse by the doctor and did nothing to protect the children while receiving millions of dollars to provide a healthy environment for the children under their care.
Terrible

Bandy, VA

#7 Jul 23, 2011
The place should be made operate on private funds that they receive from tuitions or what ever. All donations should be stopped.The dam place is a private school with mostly rich children from out of the country. Why in the hell should we give donations to help educate rich peoples children? The dam bunch at MMS does nothing for this county but live like kings and snub the poor.
Hope Hel

Bandy, VA

#8 Jul 23, 2011
MMS offers Buchanan County nothing. They only speak to people in Buchanan when they say we want your donations.The only hope that concerns that bunch is that they hope we will empty our pockets so they can put it in theirs and continue living their elite life style and have enough money to own the bank.
disagree

Grundy, VA

#9 Jul 23, 2011
love the school wrote:
I have two there and love the school. I love that the message is all about God. I love that there are people with different backgrounds in with my children. I love that the importance of education is emphasized. No comparison with any other school in this county.
My child was enrolled there for a short time and I know for a fact, he was prejudised against, For Being White!
cracker

Dayton, VA

#10 Jul 23, 2011
I was in the 2nd grade walking the down the hall way with my class in a line and some older black boy called me a little cracker I didn't know it was bad until I told my dad when I got home from school he immediately enrolled me in public school
love

Burbank, CA

#11 Sep 4, 2011
the school is a great school. ive been there most of my life and it teaches nothing but love and christian morals and most of the kids come from poor families. yes the kids can be trouble at times but that is the point of the school, to help those kids out. look at the stats, we graduate 100 percent and they go out to college in the last 8 years or so and the kids learn godly values and apply it to their lives and they always come out better than before, that school which is a childrens home and not an orphanage at all is the best place on earth and the people who have something negative to say about it should really dig in more and not just judge after no really experience. I am so thankful for the school because it helped me and so much others in ways that you can not imagine. no matter what that school will always be home to me and it is a great and loving place and God is there always.
Good Example

Grundy, VA

#12 Sep 4, 2011
Love Hel. You are a good example of what the whole bunch is. Why in the hel would people give their money to the place to educate children from foreigh countries.They don't want our children because they might talk. The children come out of there with emotional wounds that water won't wash off. Just talk to a few of the adult males that went to school there.The bunch have dollar signs in their eyes that is blocking their vision.Just read on the post Mountain Mission School Expansion Complete.
excuse me

Bandy, VA

#13 Sep 4, 2011
I go there everyday this place isnt full of rich kids and blacks kids. There are white people there and poor people there. And those kids appreciate all of it. They wish people in Grundy came to visit them instead of talking about them. They stay there all summer most of them because that is there home it's all they have. They are people just like you treat them like it. Instead of passing by commenting on their race throwing down trash cause you like to see them pick it up . Go meet them. These are good kids who doesn't deserve this forum started and even if there are rich kids there they aren't snobs like the kids in Grundy high school who have a little money an think they are everything in this world. These people are amazing beautiful loving people and they are much better than almost any person in Grundy high school and seeing the things you have said makes me sick to know I live in the same community as you and I'm only 17

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Since: Jun 11

Big Rock,Va

#14 Sep 20, 2011
excuse me wrote:
I go there everyday this place isnt full of rich kids and blacks kids. There are white people there and poor people there. And those kids appreciate all of it. They wish people in Grundy came to visit them instead of talking about them. They stay there all summer most of them because that is there home it's all they have. They are people just like you treat them like it. Instead of passing by commenting on their race throwing down trash cause you like to see them pick it up . Go meet them. These are good kids who doesn't deserve this forum started and even if there are rich kids there they aren't snobs like the kids in Grundy high school who have a little money an think they are everything in this world. These people are amazing beautiful loving people and they are much better than almost any person in Grundy high school and seeing the things you have said makes me sick to know I live in the same community as you and I'm only 17
My husband was there for almost 3yrs and ran away over 80times and hated that place.In the 1960's if the welfare took a family's kids,they'd be there until 18yrs of age.My husband spent over 2yrs in a reform school and would rather be there then MMS.There was child abuse in no certain times in MMS in the 1960's.

I will challenge anyone to show me a poor American kid at MMS now and in the future.They are either from Africa or rich American kids,no orphans any more.

My brother in law teaches there and my brother doesn't visit him.Marvin Swiney,turned into a non-orphan school when he first became President there.Go ask Ron Heller and his wife why they left MMS when Marvin became President,Ron was the smartest teacher to ever teach there.

My husband testified in a trial concerning MMMS in the 1980's and Speedy Dotson if he had not defended himself,would have been a millionaire now.

Lets see if any of this was abuse..being whipped with a hot wheels race track..shaving of the head...being whipped so hard you couldn't sit down to eat lunch.If you was late for breakfast/lunch/supper..you stood up to eat.Being chained to a bed with dog chains..for running away from MMS.So before you speak good of something about MMS...ask someone who knows what went on there and on record in a trial.

My family spent up to 18yrs in there and wasn't orphans...MMS got their Social Security checks from their dad..where did it go.

As for religion...they teach one doctrine there..Church of Christ.No other doctrine is taught there..I wonder how many Africans who are there are Muslims or were they converted.

My husband's name is Johnny Marrs,ask any old MMS teacher..if he knows what he's talking about.Another idea...ask Ron Heller or his wife...why they left.My husband said Ron Heller always said when Marvin Swiney became preident of MMS..he was gone.On the day Marvin became president of MMS...all you seen was Ron Heller's tailights as he left MMS.
scarred

Raven, VA

#15 Sep 21, 2011
Good Example wrote:
Love Hel. You are a good example of what the whole bunch is. Why in the hel would people give their money to the place to educate children from foreigh countries.They don't want our children because they might talk. The children come out of there with emotional wounds that water won't wash off. Just talk to a few of the adult males that went to school there.The bunch have dollar signs in their eyes that is blocking their vision.Just read on the post Mountain Mission School Expansion Complete.
I wish there was a support group for former mms students. Mine are not "precious" memories.
scarred

Raven, VA

#16 Sep 21, 2011
regina steele marrs wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband was there for almost 3yrs and ran away over 80times and hated that place.In the 1960's if the welfare took a family's kids,they'd be there until 18yrs of age.My husband spent over 2yrs in a reform school and would rather be there then MMS.There was child abuse in no certain times in MMS in the 1960's.
I will challenge anyone to show me a poor American kid at MMS now and in the future.They are either from Africa or rich American kids,no orphans any more.
My brother in law teaches there and my brother doesn't visit him.Marvin Swiney,turned into a non-orphan school when he first became President there.Go ask Ron Heller and his wife why they left MMS when Marvin became President,Ron was the smartest teacher to ever teach there.
My husband testified in a trial concerning MMMS in the 1980's and Speedy Dotson if he had not defended himself,would have been a millionaire now.
Lets see if any of this was abuse..being whipped with a hot wheels race track..shaving of the head...being whipped so hard you couldn't sit down to eat lunch.If you was late for breakfast/lunch/supper..you stood up to eat.Being chained to a bed with dog chains..for running away from MMS.So before you speak good of something about MMS...ask someone who knows what went on there and on record in a trial.
My family spent up to 18yrs in there and wasn't orphans...MMS got their Social Security checks from their dad..where did it go.
As for religion...they teach one doctrine there..Church of Christ.No other doctrine is taught there..I wonder how many Africans who are there are Muslims or were they converted.
My husband's name is Johnny Marrs,ask any old MMS teacher..if he knows what he's talking about.Another idea...ask Ron Heller or his wife...why they left.My husband said Ron Heller always said when Marvin Swiney became preident of MMS..he was gone.On the day Marvin became president of MMS...all you seen was Ron Heller's tailights as he left MMS.
I received a summons or subpeona for a mms trial in the mid 70's which was cancelled for some reason. I didn't quite understand it all as I was still rather young at that time. I don't know if it was for the same Dotson person's case or not.
MISSES

Blacksburg, VA

#17 Sep 21, 2011
I totally agree, this school should no longer recieve any donations of any kind. I am from there and I know that it has a bad reputation since the founder died and others took over, it is made up of your doctors kids, mostly foriegn, and rich kids, not orphans. People need to wake up and stop paying to educate the rich for free..........
Former Student

Bandy, VA

#18 Sep 21, 2011
I would like to clarify a few things that was said by Mrs Marrs. First, I know your husband and went to school with him. I liked him and his family very much. I'm sorry that he has such bad memories but for myself the good out ways the bad. Second, my brother and I were orphans and received social security checks. A portion (very small)of that was taken for our care and we were given an allowance every month and the rest was put into a savings account by Mrs.Sublett. If we wanted extra money for choir trips, clothes,etc. We only had to ask. After graduation we were given the savings account books to get our money.
Third, Johnny Dotson was a troubled young man. I knew him personally and he was only being led by a horrible man who had it in for MMS. I was personally approched by JD and this man and offered money to tell lies. Fourth, at the time of the whippings that you described, parents everywhere were whipping their children. I received more whipping at the hands of foster parents than at MMS. You need to remember that every child is precious and in need of a loving environment. No its not the same as being in a loving home with a mother and father but most times that was not possible. Society has changed since MMS was conceived. Now the state steps in and puts the area children in foster care. I personally know of several people who only takes these kids for the money. Are they any better? "Judge not lest you be judged" I thank God every day that I was chosen by him to attend this wonderful school. I was taught values that have remained with me and make me a better person for having been a part of the MMS family. I am PROUD to be an alumni of this fine school and would want my kids or grandkids to be there if for some reason we were unable to care for them.
another student

Raven, VA

#19 Sep 21, 2011
Former Student wrote:
I would like to clarify a few things that was said by Mrs Marrs. First, I know your husband and went to school with him. I liked him and his family very much. I'm sorry that he has such bad memories but for myself the good out ways the bad. Second, my brother and I were orphans and received social security checks. A portion (very small)of that was taken for our care and we were given an allowance every month and the rest was put into a savings account by Mrs.Sublett. If we wanted extra money for choir trips, clothes,etc. We only had to ask. After graduation we were given the savings account books to get our money.
Third, Johnny Dotson was a troubled young man. I knew him personally and he was only being led by a horrible man who had it in for MMS. I was personally approched by JD and this man and offered money to tell lies. Fourth, at the time of the whippings that you described, parents everywhere were whipping their children. I received more whipping at the hands of foster parents than at MMS. You need to remember that every child is precious and in need of a loving environment. No its not the same as being in a loving home with a mother and father but most times that was not possible. Society has changed since MMS was conceived. Now the state steps in and puts the area children in foster care. I personally know of several people who only takes these kids for the money. Are they any better? "Judge not lest you be judged" I thank God every day that I was chosen by him to attend this wonderful school. I was taught values that have remained with me and make me a better person for having been a part of the MMS family. I am PROUD to be an alumni of this fine school and would want my kids or grandkids to be there if for some reason we were unable to care for them.
You had money. You said yourself you received S.S. of which they took a portion. Then you had SS money available for purchasing YOUR OWN clothing and meeting your other needs. I can GUARANTEE you, For a lot of others the environment was a lot less LOVING for those poorest students (with no income and no financial contributions from family members) who had to depend entirely on those in charge of this "Wonderful School". No doubt about it. When I was there, I had visits from relatives on certain day. That was always a very nice day. There were many extra toys and clothes placed in my closet, which were shown to the visitors. Then public display of affection, nurturing,and caring was turned off fast as a light switch as soon as the visitors left. And nearly as fast all the extras were removed from the room.

“Regina A Steele Marrs”

Since: Jun 11

Big Rock,Va

#20 Sep 22, 2011
another student wrote:
<quoted text>
You had money. You said yourself you received S.S. of which they took a portion. Then you had SS money available for purchasing YOUR OWN clothing and meeting your other needs. I can GUARANTEE you, For a lot of others the environment was a lot less LOVING for those poorest students (with no income and no financial contributions from family members) who had to depend entirely on those in charge of this "Wonderful School". No doubt about it. When I was there, I had visits from relatives on certain day. That was always a very nice day. There were many extra toys and clothes placed in my closet, which were shown to the visitors. Then public display of affection, nurturing,and caring was turned off fast as a light switch as soon as the visitors left. And nearly as fast all the extras were removed from the room.
This is Johnny Marrs and if you know me...you know I do noy agree with MMS values.No matter how you misconstrue them and being brainwashed.I testified about MMS and would do so again and let the whole world know what happen.Why did they quit taking American orphans and Social Services kids?
I challenge any person on here to show me a POOR American kid going to MMS...maybe my brother's kids...who teaches there.They do no teach special needs kids or take them..I asked a few years back.
I spent almost 3yrs in a reform school and was never wjipped or chained to a bed or put into solitary confinement.So you're telling me it was alright for MMMS to whip me with belts/switches/hot wheel race tracks and shave my head.It was alright to make a person go to a church they didn't go to and being indoctrinated into that doctrine...there is freedom of religion.MMS and the Welfare had a good plan..take kids from their parents and put them in MMS for years and no getting out.We tried to get my brothers/sister out and was no use.Even now Social Services won't put kids into foster homes..unless a last resort.
Ask MMS...why they did they take one of my brothers and adopt him out as a baby.When the parents were still alive and didn't agree.

Anyne who gets on here and agrees with MMS's policies now and then...something is wrong with them.You must believe in punishment for any infractions of the rules and no excuses.It is alright to whip a kid for running away to go home...or made to stand up for being late for eating.In almost 3yrs of reform school...when whipping was allowed.I was never whipped for any infractions...I got 6 moths for running away each time and other punishment,but no belts/swtiches/race car tracks.

As for the money...I NEVER SAW ONE DIME IN THE TIME I WAS THERE IN MMS.In the reform school....they kept meticulous records and showed me where it was spent by me for myself.I was DIRT POOR in the sixties and MMS was not no help and never taught me anything.

You can post the good things about MMS...just think real hard and you'll remember things that happened to you ..if you were there before the 80's or things that happened to others,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Australian police charge teens over 'racist' tr... 32 min Baa Baa Black sheep 120
Black Oakland students suspended less, but huge... 5 hr Revelation 7
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 8 hr Doug Wiedeman 31,296
Charlie Sheen breaks up with porn star fiancee 8 hr Another One Gone 1
Parents upset over graphic anti-abortion ad nea... 8 hr kiki 18
Family members ask for help to solve 15 year ol... (Feb '12) 11 hr mee 6
Police: Woman left three kids home alone 12 hr Reshma Sheikh 2

Family People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE