Law would let courts restore parental...

Law would let courts restore parental rights

There are 193 comments on the Nevada Appeal story from Apr 5, 2007, titled Law would let courts restore parental rights. In it, Nevada Appeal reports that:

“I feel strongly that we do not go down that road, I would hate to see a circumstance where a parent is, for example, in prison and is sending petition after petition through the courts trying to regain parental rights, disrupting the child's life”

Measure gets unanimous approval from Assembly Judiciary Committee Cathleen Allison/Nevada Appeal Clark County Family Court Judge Gerry Hardcastle, left, and Nevada Assemblywoman Susan Gerhardt, D-Henderson, ... via Nevada Appeal

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Nevada Appeal.

gina enox

United States

#168 Jun 29, 2013
i made an agreement with my social worker and my sister, to just let the courts terminate my parental rights and then after she adopted i would get them back....now my sister has broken the agreement she came up with and sent my baby back in to adoptions, one of my girls the other two she has adopted and wont let me talk to....i didnt want to go along with there plan but my sister said oh gina your just upset with the legalities of this but they are your babies and you are going to raise them.......now what can i do.......this all started with cps after the death of my childrens father....i was suffering from post traumatic stress. thats what the counselor had told me any how i was going through the worst time in my life and im not proud of none of it but i am an excellent mother and i love my girls more than life and im so scared for my brandi she has now lost everyone shes ever known and i cant let this happen what can i do? please help... [email protected]
JustMex5

Palm Coast, FL

#169 Jul 5, 2013
gina enox wrote:
i made an agreement with my social worker and my sister, to just let the courts terminate my parental rights and then after she adopted i would get them back....now my sister has broken the agreement she came up with and sent my baby back in to adoptions, one of my girls the other two she has adopted and wont let me talk to....i didnt want to go along with there plan but my sister said oh gina your just upset with the legalities of this but they are your babies and you are going to raise them.......now what can i do.......this all started with cps after the death of my childrens father....i was suffering from post traumatic stress. thats what the counselor had told me any how i was going through the worst time in my life and im not proud of none of it but i am an excellent mother and i love my girls more than life and im so scared for my brandi she has now lost everyone shes ever known and i cant let this happen what can i do? please help... [email protected]
If what you say is true, I feel badly for you. I know I would also lose my mind if my husband passed away - I would be lost! However, I am fortunate enough to have sisters who love me enough that they would have taken care of my kids for me as I grieved and worked through my grief. There is no way they would let CPS even get involved.
I say don't give up. Maybe find an attorney in your area who despises CPS and perhaps they will help you for free.
I can't help but wonder, though,...were you given a case plan? If so, why was it not completed? If no case plan was offered, why is that? Why would you feel that terminating your parental rights was the only way to get your kids back. I'm pretty sure every case is offered a plan, unless you've done something unspeakable. Please explain as I am quite curious. If you're truly an excellent mother, your children will reflex as such.
mary

Sebring, OH

#170 Aug 10, 2013
if ne of yall people responding are in this field i apoligize but your most likely not so please shut up you prob never been in this situation and it kills a mothers soul believe me i know.
Addie

Dallas, TX

#171 Aug 30, 2013
My husband has full rights of his daughter. The mother lost her rights when she went to prison due to drugs. But the father has been letting her stay with her bio mom for the last 2 years and we get her in the summer and school breaks so that the child is around her mother. And he had a job to where he was on call 24/7 so he felt she needed to be with her mom also. The child needs both parents in life. Well just recently we kept her for summer and told her that we were gonna keep her for school years and she can have summer and school breaks with her. U know just switch it around since he has a better job and we have a good house and vehicle. Well she filed for custody against him and the judge decided in one day that the mother will get temp custody when she had no right to begin with. My husband didn't have a lawyer when we went so they basically just took his daughter away from him. I want to know if they can just do that. One lawyer said that we could take our papers up there saying we had all rights and mother didn't and get our daughter from the mom. But how can the court decide what's best for her in one day. We send child support to the mother for the child and every time we take her back to her mom she crys cuz she wants to stay with daddy. And all this is over he got married to me. You know what i dont make anybody do anything. Thats his daughter and he wants more time wih her. He loves her very much. Yes she loves her bio mom very much. But she chooses to stay with daddy and now she can't. And isn't old enough to tell in court. I need to know what we can do in order to get her back. We talk with a lawyer next week so hoping it goes well. Asking for info.
lauren

New York, NY

#172 Sep 3, 2013
GA Coalition wrote:
Termination of Parental Rights (TPR). If the judge orders the termination of your parental rights, you have no rights to your children. They are no longer legally your children. Once they are adopted by another family, they are legally theirs. A TPR is serious because you will not be able to get your children back afterwards.
This is not true, even though you were terminated your rights, you still have grounds for an appeal, even after TPR. I have seen cases go as far as the Supreme courts only to get reversed there. I've researched case law and am a law student and have attorney friends. I say never give up on your children.
Hey I need help with my tpr trial that I am about to lose in the state of ny how can I appeal it if I lose ??????
jamie

Carbondale, IL

#175 Sep 6, 2013
I am a father of three sons, I am going to explain that I had a drug problem and so did my wife and our children were taken by DCFS. My wife and I had been going to court to get our children back and failed. We were told that if we didn't sign our rights away then we would be stripped of our rights. Is there anything that i can do to get them back. To add not even 3 weeks ago my wife was sent a notice from DCFS stating that the charge of neglect statue was no longer in effect. Is there any way that I can get my children back after they have been adopted by a family member. Can anyone from illinois help me pls or if you know the law please i need help
heather

Dublin, GA

#176 Sep 9, 2013
DFCS done me exacly same way,myHome wasnt messy but since myGirls only had diapers on while they slept they took them!Yes.Promise no exaggerations here.they also had a cop w/ them!I recently lookd over court documents&they lied sayin i had no stable housing,but i owned the mobile home we were living in.They never informed me on things that i could do or my rights,they just railroaded me bc i was young,poor&my lil girls were in thier terms "highly adoptable"After my babies were gone i coped by using drugs&became aDrugAddict.They ruined my life on various levels.My mother fought extremely hard &shoulof got my girls but they made plans impossible 4 her 2 do.As well,they terminated my rights.Currently,i have done lots of research & u need 2 do the same.If u can find things they done wrong or steps they just skipped(& im sure u will) that is grounds 2 take them 2 court&sue them.U need 2 get an attorney2get ur court documents from the courthouse(only an attorney or fam.member involved in the case can get them.Let him go thru the papers &find their flaws n u got a Case girl:)they r supposed 2 bring families bk 2gether not divoce couples&take kids.Some judges will be completely appalled 2 hear that.YES u can get ur rights reinstated!Im just now finding this out myself so dont have details but just google sum stuff n it will tell u.Also Google protecting your children from being sold.wordpress.com It has so much useful info as well as laws we need 2 know .Thats how i know now that i can sue them bc they done nothing the righjt way.Good Luck:)is
Victoria Willoughby wrote:
My rights to my children were terminated On August 24, 2011. When DFCS in the state of GA came into my house I was suffering from post pregnancy depression and My house had gotten messy. My children were clean and so was their bedding. I fought for over a year trying to get my children back. The case plan was changed three different times. So everytime I would get close to finishing a case plan they would change it. The Cook County DFCS even went as far as telling me that If me and my husband split up I could regain custody of my children. I left my husband and instead of returning my children they went and got a non reunification order from the courts. Me and my husband figured out that we had to work it out and stick together to fight CPS. I am devistated because I was unable to file an appeal and really want to be able to see my children. They claimed that there was no bond with my children after only giving me an hour a week to spend with three children. The final straw which sent me overboard was when My daughter was born three days after this happened. They came into florida and took her from me she was only three days old. when I contacted them about seeing her they told me visitation would not be scheduled because they were just going to TPR my rights to here also. I feel like my children were stolen from me and I would give anything to have them back. Is there anything that I can do.
rellyann

United States

#177 Oct 4, 2013
I am from Northern Michigan, relocated, and remarried.. It has been 11 years since termination of my parental rights. I recently found both of my children on face book. One (the youngest)has chosen to contact me and wants to come home. Knowing i have no rights, how do i tell her this is not possible. They were 2 and 4 at time of termination. At the time i just Emotionally and Mentally couldn't cope. I have been trying to find a way to get parental rights reinstated, in Michigan it just does not seem possible to do. It was all over a dirty home. Any suggestions: no rude comments please.
rellyann

United States

#178 Oct 4, 2013
rellyann wrote:
I am from Northern Michigan, relocated, and remarried.. It has been 11 years since termination of my parental rights. I recently found both of my children on face book. One (the youngest)has chosen to contact me and wants to come home. Knowing i have no rights, how do i tell her this is not possible. They were 2 and 4 at time of termination. At the time i just Emotionally and Mentally couldn't cope. I have been trying to find a way to get parental rights reinstated, in Michigan it just does not seem possible to do. It was all over a dirty home. Any suggestions: no rude comments please.
I can be reached by email: [email protected]
rellyann

United States

#179 Oct 4, 2013
sorry that email address is :
[email protected]
Karee scott

United States

#181 Nov 1, 2013
My right were terminted because they falsely accused me of not feeding my son but he had acid reflux in he couldnt hold hes food down in they said I wasnt capable of taking care of my kids because of my mentall illness which is deprssion.i want mykids back home with me if somebody can help me I havnt seen them in four years
Medwards

Garden City, MI

#186 Dec 2, 2013
I and Missouri and I am signing papers for my kids foster parent to adopt them tomorrow and I recently found out I'm pregnant and don't want to lose this baby when I have it do I have to leave leave the state in order not to lose this baby? it was my decision to have the foster parents adopt my other kids because I'm not where I need to be to take care of them according to DSS . can someone please help me
jane from nj

Pleasantville, NJ

#189 Dec 24, 2013
if the parents consent to giving up their parental rights, and the good bye visit has been done through dyfs, how long do they legally have the right to appeal? Does this happen?
Teresa Martinez

Kansas City, MO

#190 Jan 5, 2014
check out the parental reunification laws in your state..they came out with some new laws say that no matter your situation if you have the basic needs..if proven to a judge..or file to the state supreme court..u maybe eligible to get your children back by signing a reunification form..check your state for details if it applies to any of u on this site..good luck to u all..
Crystal

East Lansing, MI

#191 Jan 12, 2014
My daughter was taken from me when she was two weeks old. the CPS gave her to my mom and step father.When she was a year old they terminated my rights. My mother and step father adopted her. My mom passed away in 2002 and my step father remarried. His wife has been mistreating. my daughter who is 15 years old now. What can I do to get her back?
amberrey

Chico, CA

#192 Jan 26, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
The statement you just made was so irrelevant, I had to check myself. I am currently in foster care and have a mother just like her. Now to prove my point there are 2 kind of moms, one who can't live without "their" kids. And mothers who don't care
Wow I am a mother who had cps take my kids soon after their dad committed suicide. when its just me and my kids they of course cant live without their kids. thats family and as a birth mother I worked very hard at being a good mother. after husbands death I was depressed but no reason to make it worse by snatching my kids. I let friends adopt them now they turn then against me
Risa

Saint Maries, ID

#196 Feb 12, 2014
I would be so thankful for advice on proper papers and format to file an appeal on termination of parental rights in Idaho

Thanks, god bless
Ron

Hammonton, NJ

#197 Feb 17, 2014
I'm the biological father of a child that was born in early 2008. The biological mother of the child was addicted to heroin at the time of the child's birth. The two of us were not and are not married but we were in a committed relationship with each other. After the child was born DYFS took over and gave Temporary Custody of said child to his mothers parents. After going back and forth to court and jumping through many different hoops for DYFS in NJ we weren't getting any closer to regaining custody of our child. In the end we were lied to and misinformed into voluntarily terminate our parental right and my child's mothers parents "adopted" him. I have 2 questions.....1--every month the state of NJ pays about $800 (roughly) to his "adopted parents" (his biological grandparents), because they are receiving this state check every month does that mean he really wasn't adopted? I only say that because if I were to adopt a child I would assume that the child would become my personal responsibility to financially take care of and not the states (meaning I wouldn't expect a check every month). 2---is there anyway to petition the court to regain custody of my child? His guardians now are obese, abusive towards him physically and emotionally and they are extremely unfit to be his guardians! I don't know what to do and I need help. Thank You everyone for taking the time to read my post and especially thank you in advance to anyone and everyone that replies to this for me with some advice or direction to get help. I also would like to note that I have custody of three other of my own children ages 14yrs old, 10yrs old and a 4 months old. Also, drugs haven't been a part of either of our lives since 2008 (I have proof of that as well)
mom24

United States

#198 Feb 19, 2014
Ron wrote:
I'm the biological father of a child that was born in early 2008. The biological mother of the child was addicted to heroin at the time of the child's birth. The two of us were not and are not married but we were in a committed relationship with each other. After the child was born DYFS took over and gave Temporary Custody of said child to his mothers parents. After going back and forth to court and jumping through many different hoops for DYFS in NJ we weren't getting any closer to regaining custody of our child. In the end we were lied to and misinformed into voluntarily terminate our parental right and my child's mothers parents "adopted" him. I have 2 questions.....1--every month the state of NJ pays about $800 (roughly) to his "adopted parents" (his biological grandparents), because they are receiving this state check every month does that mean he really wasn't adopted? I only say that because if I were to adopt a child I would assume that the child would become my personal responsibility to financially take care of and not the states (meaning I wouldn't expect a check every month). 2---is there anyway to petition the court to regain custody of my child? His guardians now are obese, abusive towards him physically and emotionally and they are extremely unfit to be his guardians! I don't know what to do and I need help. Thank You everyone for taking the time to read my post and especially thank you in advance to anyone and everyone that replies to this for me with some advice or direction to get help. I also would like to note that I have custody of three other of my own children ages 14yrs old, 10yrs old and a 4 months old. Also, drugs haven't been a part of either of our lives since 2008 (I have proof of that as well)
Yes, if they are receiving a monthly payment that either means they are still fostering the children or the children have been classified as special needs and are getting paid to cover the extra expenses. After adoption, you do not receive money unless the children are special needs.
mom24

United States

#199 Feb 19, 2014
Ron wrote:
I'm the biological father of a child that was born in early 2008. The biological mother of the child was addicted to heroin at the time of the child's birth. The two of us were not and are not married but we were in a committed relationship with each other. After the child was born DYFS took over and gave Temporary Custody of said child to his mothers parents. After going back and forth to court and jumping through many different hoops for DYFS in NJ we weren't getting any closer to regaining custody of our child. In the end we were lied to and misinformed into voluntarily terminate our parental right and my child's mothers parents "adopted" him. I have 2 questions.....1--every month the state of NJ pays about $800 (roughly) to his "adopted parents" (his biological grandparents), because they are receiving this state check every month does that mean he really wasn't adopted? I only say that because if I were to adopt a child I would assume that the child would become my personal responsibility to financially take care of and not the states (meaning I wouldn't expect a check every month). 2---is there anyway to petition the court to regain custody of my child? His guardians now are obese, abusive towards him physically and emotionally and they are extremely unfit to be his guardians! I don't know what to do and I need help. Thank You everyone for taking the time to read my post and especially thank you in advance to anyone and everyone that replies to this for me with some advice or direction to get help. I also would like to note that I have custody of three other of my own children ages 14yrs old, 10yrs old and a 4 months old. Also, drugs haven't been a part of either of our lives since 2008 (I have proof of that as well)
Also to be noted, grandparents can still get reimbursed for expenses even after signing adoption papers...It depends on the state as to how much assistance grandparents can get and what the guideline/regulations for financial assistance is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News N.J. clears way for children of undocumented im... 7 hr wild child 1
News City kicks off annual Civic Days at Riverfront ... 7 hr Golf club 2
News Teen gang Crazy White Boys connected to August ... (Oct '08) 7 hr Goose 310
News College Kid: I'm Scared Of Having Kids Because ... 13 hr tina anne 3
News Best phone to track your kids? -- OrlandoSentin... (Jun '07) 15 hr Nikolas 15
News Is This Black Parenting Magazine Racist? 23 hr KIP 13
News Nicole Kidman's priest says actress hopes one d... Tue Anne Russell 1
More from around the web