Boro closes skate park

Full story: Public Opinion 9
Two families of local skateboarders were unable to sway Shippensburg Borough Council's decision to close the skate park on North Fayette Street Tuesday night. Full Story
wcr

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Sep 3, 2008
Councilman Hockersmith says "This is not up to Council or local government to take care of this skatepark." EXCUSE ME! First, it's on Borough property; and second, ever heard of playgrounds and the Park Commission? I am sure if his own sons or daughter (or grandchildren) were skateboard enthusiasts, he'd be fighting to keep it open (even improving it)! So now the skateboarders will be on our sidewalks and private parking lots!
cah

Plainfield, NJ

#2 Sep 3, 2008
What a shame. Somewhere for kids to get fresh air & exercise. Maybe the interested parties could have a fundraiser, pig roast, etc., to possibly raise money for a security system. I have never been there, but I'm sure there is a way to keep the area secure.

Since: Jul 08

Fayetteville, PA

#3 Sep 3, 2008
"So now the skateboarders will be on our sidewalks and private parking lots!"

If I recall this was the reason that the park was opened in the first place. Now it is back to square one. Everytime that I drive pass, kids utilizing the park.
Doesnt Matter

Shippensburg, PA

#5 Sep 3, 2008
They did fight for the park to stay open....but there are problems... its just temporary, and if the new generation of kids and their parents want it, get together and construct an idea..... it will work, if families and kids work together... but the council did fight to keep it open
Keep it

Blackwood, NJ

#6 Sep 3, 2008
We live in a world where kids want to very little unless it is electronic. Video games, computers, text messaging. I grew up as a skateboarder in the 80's & 90's when there were no public skateparks in the Franklin County area. My friends & I would meet on Friday night downtown & skateboard from one side of town to the other looking for freshly painted curbs to grind & the highest ledge to drop off even if it meant going out into traffic. Since then, some adults reached an understanding that skateboarding & rollerblading are not going away. Do you take away a basketball court when it gets spray painted? How about a swimming pool when someone sneaks in at night? We as adults need to come up with better answers that just closing something down because of some minor problems. We need to work together to provide the children with safe places to continue to enjoy their athletics. If we don't then we can expect to see a negative result from our negative effort to help. In this case, the kids will go back to skateboarding in the streets. This will mean that they will be in traffic, on your sidewalks, destroying your freshly painted curbs, etc. For many years the communities in the cities tried to combat graffiti. Eventually, they discovered that if they gave the criminals a place to be productive that what they really had was a artist. What you will find by closing your skatepark is that you have just created a new group of criminals who will unknowingly be vandalizing public & private property with their grinding, boardsliding, etc. We as adults need to choose to be proactive instead of reactive.
NoName

Elkins Park, PA

#7 Sep 3, 2008
This bothers me greatly. Why is the council so motivated to close this park? I always see the park in use by kids as a social gathering point and for physical activity when I drive through the neighborhood. But I must agree why can't these kids organize and keep their park open?
dude

Newville, PA

#8 Sep 3, 2008
Let me tell you now that these kids are the risk takers. If they are not taking risks by trying out the newest variation of a kick flip of grind they will be seeking adventure in your town some other way.

I was a skater in the 80's. The towns people don't want us on the sidewalks because they might get sued. The churches wouldn't let us skate in their parking lots because they are afraid of being sued. Well guess what there are more skateboarders in this nation than football players. Football players get fields at every highschool in the state. Taxpayers pay for the equipment. Atheletic boosters buy uniforms. More people are killed and seriously injured playing organized football in this country than skateboarding.
How many gererations of skateboard enthusiasts are going to have their sport bashed by unsupportive adults. SKATERS PAST AND PRESENT MUST UNITE.

"VANS ---OFF THE WALL"
DudeimDone

Camp Hill, PA

#9 Nov 19, 2012
now that they closed the park all of the skaters are going too become fat and lazy,we have have no where too skate, we get kicked out of every where. its no fun, therfor, all the skaters will sit at home on our butts and become fat. no one likes a fat person. We are tireed of getting kicked out of every where.
We are tired of it, we need and want a new park NOW!!!!! no wander americA IS becoming fat.
I AM DONE!!!!!1
help

Camp Hill, PA

#10 Nov 19, 2012
BAWW SACKY

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Calif. officer wanted in molestation case (Oct '09) 4 min trying 4
Teachers, Students Call For Governor Cuomo To F... 17 min Guy Wiliford II 271
Detroit Public School To Suspend Kids If Parent... 1 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 19
Heroin catches on in suburbia | The Columbus Di... (Jan '10) 3 hr freedom 4
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 4 hr Maravilla 684
Health officials perplexed by vaccination skeptics 5 hr Nutters Compass 1
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 6 hr speakthetruth 31,796
More from around the web