Police crack down on Abbottstown skat...

Police crack down on Abbottstown skateboarders

There are 54 comments on the Evening Sun story from Aug 23, 2010, titled Police crack down on Abbottstown skateboarders. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Police continue to crack down on skateboarders illegally using Abbottstown Borough sidewalks and streets as their personal playground.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
WOW

East Berlin, PA

#1 Aug 24, 2010
So, with drug dealing, drug abusers, DUI's, assaults, robberies, thefts, bar fights, drunks walking the streets, and all of the other crime on the streets today, the biggest thing that the chief of the Eastern Adams Regional Police Department wants citizens to call about is... SKATEBOARDERS!?
Heck, I've heard that's hard enough to have the cops in Eastern Adams to arrest people for actual crimes...
wow2

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Aug 24, 2010
WOW wrote:
So, with drug dealing, drug abusers, DUI's, assaults, robberies, thefts, bar fights, drunks walking the streets, and all of the other crime on the streets today, the biggest thing that the chief of the Eastern Adams Regional Police Department wants citizens to call about is... SKATEBOARDERS!?
Heck, I've heard that's hard enough to have the cops in Eastern Adams to arrest people for actual crimes...
yeah.your 100%right...this is a joke....but.knowing officer then......i can see that .this is such a crime.its like at the races on sat nights..they swarm around there.busting people for...illegal parking......what a joke
skinny pants

Hanover, PA

#3 Aug 24, 2010
i could care less if they on sidewalk. keep em out of the roads however, and private property lots when they skate without consent of the owners. some of them have no respect for themselves or others. insults, obscenities, slurs, litter, and graffiti follow them. sure a few bad apples spoil the bunch but thier reputation follows them all.
Wow3

Hanover, PA

#4 Aug 24, 2010
What is a joke is the ever-present disdain for police on these boards. Man, every time there's an article about law enforcement, you guys start singing the same song. You know, it gets old after a while, seriously.
Reader

La Monte, MO

#5 Aug 24, 2010
Regardless of who it is that enforces the law, this is a misguided attempt at focusing our youth. Think about this for a minute. With skateboarders on the street children are fighting the growing epidemic of obesity. Also while the kids are skateboarding they're not doing drugs or any other illegal activity. But I guess its much better to run them off the streets and find other "things" to do with there time such as , watch hours of tv,play hours of video games. Wait I know they can all walk to a community center and then go to the Abbottstown pool.

LOL
Observer

Hanover, PA

#6 Aug 24, 2010
I am sorry but leave the kids alone - as long as they are being careful, are being respectful and aren't damaging anything they need something to do besides drugs and alcohol.
Reader

La Monte, MO

#7 Aug 24, 2010
skinny pants wrote:
i could care less if they on sidewalk. keep em out of the roads however, and private property lots when they skate without consent of the owners. some of them have no respect for themselves or others. insults, obscenities, slurs, litter, and graffiti follow them. sure a few bad apples spoil the bunch but thier reputation follows them all.
When was the last time you walked down a college hallway or even a high school hallway. Insults, obscenities, slurs, litter are common place amongst teens and young adults everywhere. When Children at like that, fine the parents. As far as the graffiti, no skateboarder with any sense would spray paint something. First off they are stop by every police officer, granted the officer is only doing his job, but if he saw paint on there fingers game over. I'm now 29 but I used to skate when I was young. I now work for the Federal government in the IT field. So much for your stereo types. For all the current skaters out there, work hard at doing what you love and enjoy it now, before you start having real concerns like missing work/college due to injuries. Before you know it you'll see what a $500 emergency room bill looks like and then your casual skate days get further apart.
are you kidding

Duncannon, PA

#8 Aug 24, 2010
Reader wrote:
Regardless of who it is that enforces the law, this is a misguided attempt at focusing our youth. Think about this for a minute. With skateboarders on the street children are fighting the growing epidemic of obesity. Also while the kids are skateboarding they're not doing drugs or any other illegal activity. But I guess its much better to run them off the streets and find other "things" to do with there time such as , watch hours of tv,play hours of video games. Wait I know they can all walk to a community center and then go to the Abbottstown pool.
LOL
I could have replied this same comment to so many of these. I just picked this one at random because I have the same reply.

ARE YOU Kidding. I have personally had illegal skateboarders go right in front of my car. It is only with God's good grace that I didn't hit them! The kids sure weren't looking where they are going. NO skateboarding on streets, that's what Chief Then said.

Parents, keep your kids off the streets before there is a fatality!! Because, then you know what everybody will be saying, "It's the parent's fault" - but you will then be in too much sorrow to hear- and it will be too late.
repubsRdumb

Lancaster, PA

#9 Aug 24, 2010
give me a break what is the last real crime eastern adams actually stopped... thier is no crime in abtown, new ox, thomasville, sg, etc... maybe adams county citizens should stop being cry baby bitches and go after real reasons why thier taxes are going up and thats wasteful spending at the local level. As a former resident of abbottstown thier is nothing for kids to do around there period... maybe instead of investing thier time in making a law for skateboarding but to put a park in.

ATTN EASTERN ADAMS REGIONAL GET YOUR FAKE ASS COP OUT OF THAT CAR ITS JUST A DISTRACTION TO DRIVERS BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS ITS FAKE.
Reader

La Monte, MO

#10 Aug 24, 2010
are you kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
I could have replied this same comment to so many of these. I just picked this one at random because I have the same reply.
ARE YOU Kidding. I have personally had illegal skateboarders go right in front of my car. It is only with God's good grace that I didn't hit them! The kids sure weren't looking where they are going. NO skateboarding on streets, that's what Chief Then said.
Parents, keep your kids off the streets before there is a fatality!! Because, then you know what everybody will be saying, "It's the parent's fault" - but you will then be in too much sorrow to hear- and it will be too late.
I personally have have kids playing with balls, deer, various small animals and people simply crossing the street without looking run out in front of my car. Based on the above quote maybe we should outlaw all of the above.

To the kids, when someone sees a car coming... Yell "GAME OFF". Once the car safely passes yell "Game On." While the system is not perfect it has worked pretty well for most youth for decades.

To the Drivers, you are in at least a 2000 lbs steel car. The is a reason while you take a driver test. Also i would highly recommend you take a secondary course if only for the deduction to your insurance. Please keep you eyes open and don't speed in residential areas.
Star

Moorestown, NJ

#11 Aug 24, 2010
repubsRdumb wrote:
ATTN EASTERN ADAMS REGIONAL GET YOUR FAKE ASS COP OUT OF THAT CAR ITS JUST A DISTRACTION TO DRIVERS BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS ITS FAKE.
I agree. When you pass it for the first time, you're more concerned about hitting your breaks and looking at the driver to see if it's real, NOT watching the road.
Historicus

State College, PA

#12 Aug 24, 2010
Skateboarders, like Harley riders, are exhibitionists, public nuisances and disturbers of the peace. Both create a racket, and the skaters' behavior endangers themselves and others.

Reign 'em in and preserve our peace and quiet.
What

Hanover, PA

#13 Aug 24, 2010
Call 911 to report skate boarders?????????? I thought 911 was for emergencies only.

And-----all you people who don't like the dummy, please keep your comments to yourself. The dummy has never caused any problems or crashed any vehicles.
Wendy

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Aug 24, 2010
I can't believe people are being advised to dial 911. I know from living around the area small towns do have crazy rules, but this is the worst I've ever heard of. Police need to go to the schools, and areas where drugs are being sold all day and night. Keep the real problems off the streets and sidewalks.
hanover resident

Hanover, PA

#15 Aug 24, 2010
I wish these kids would just stay home, do drugs and drink, play xbox and get fat.
yayayayy

United States

#16 Aug 24, 2010
hanover resident wrote:
I wish these kids would just stay home, do drugs and drink, play xbox and get fat.
me too. im a skater, from hear on out i quit, im gonna go get some drugs, obtain some beer, rob a mcdonalds, steal an xbox, and sit on my lazy ass chasing the dragon from here on out, thank you Abbotstown Police! you just saved me $50 on a new skate deck !
New Oxford Resident

Gettysburg, PA

#17 Aug 24, 2010
So what are kids to do.We are all so quick to say don't do this or that. But no one is willing to give them thing to do. Is the sidewalks in abbottstown so full of people that a skateboard would run them over. I think not, thats the same for any small town around here. As long as they aren't ripping down walls or breaking things, LET THEM SKATE. If adults would let kids be kids they might not turn to drugs for something "fun" to do.

Since: Jan 09

Hanover

#18 Aug 24, 2010
repubsRdumb wrote:
Did you happen to know that at times a live person is in that car? Who's going to be "DUMB" then? DUH!!!
Joe

Gettysburg, PA

#19 Aug 24, 2010
JustMyHonestOpinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you happen to know that at times a live person is in that car? Who's going to be "DUMB" then? DUH!!!
when they put a live person in the car they drive into tractor trailers like idiots
Myke Hawke

Westminster, MD

#20 Aug 24, 2010
WOW wrote:
Yeah, lots of those serious crimes taking place in A-town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Skateboarding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Job Corps expels 4 students (May '07) Mar '16 B_P_F_L 1,092
News Skaters have glowing words for new San Bernardi... (Jul '10) Mar '16 Wakeup 19
SKATE VIDEO CONTEST... get a free deck and $100... (Sep '06) Feb '16 german_dude 30
why is skateboarding so fu+kin gay (May '07) Nov '15 Fuxk_Wendy 49
News Athens considering sanctions to deal with skate... (Apr '07) Oct '15 Ckim617 10
Element Search + Win! (Feb '09) May '15 Death_drop 202
News Find an Amateur Skate Competition (Apr '07) May '15 unitedrsc 51
More from around the web