Surfer has close encounter with whale in Australia

There are 20 comments on the Nov 13, 2008, hosted.ap.org story titled Surfer has close encounter with whale in Australia . In it, hosted.ap.org reports that:

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- An Australian man was caught by surprise when a large whale whacked him lightly on the head with its tail as he unknowingly scooted over it while kite surfing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at hosted.ap.org.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Screwy Louie

Bethlehem, PA

#1 Nov 13, 2008
Dummy, shudda had a V-8.....
DILF

Medford, NY

#2 Nov 13, 2008
Wasn't his fault, he didn't know Oprah was swimming there....... She should be charged with assault.

“Be American Buy American”

Since: Apr 08

Big Rock Candy Mtn.

#3 Nov 13, 2008
Two whales spot a whaling boat. One whale tells the other, "If we get under that boat and blow really hard, we can capsize her."
The other whale said, "I'll agree to the bj, but I won't swallow any seamen."

Since: Oct 08

Coxsackie, NY

#4 Nov 13, 2008
"Man Smacked in Head With Whaletail" would have attracted a lot more imaginative readers...

Since: Oct 08

Coxsackie, NY

#5 Nov 13, 2008
Sticker on fluke: "If you can read this, you are too close."
Arminius

Buffalo, NY

#7 Nov 13, 2008
O'Donnel Down Under!

(apologies to Quigley)

Since: Aug 08

Azle, TX

#9 Nov 13, 2008
VernustheFurnace wrote:
<quoted text>
Laugh my ass off! I am sending this one to my mom. She is a gillnetter, and has encountered whales many times. I went out one time years ago,(my daughter went all the time) from Prince Rupert to Victoria BC on the boat, and we encountered vagrant killer whales (vagrant meaning they stay there year round all their lives)(also where a lot of Free Willy was filmed).
We followed those whales around for about two hours, watching them play etc. Was one of the most fascinating things I have done.
Oh and to be on topic, this guy was lucky he did not get hurt, that is one hell of a wack. Be glad it was not a shark.
I'd give my eye teeth for an experience like that. Those whales are beautiful!
MeanandNasty

United States

#10 Nov 13, 2008
What a tale! The whale could have chosen to kill him with that tail, just letting him know it was there was its whole porpoise. These creatures are amazing. I was lucky enough to see several humpbacks, fin whales, and a Menke...wonderful creatures.

“The more things change...”

Since: Feb 08

The more they stay the same!!!

#12 Nov 13, 2008
VernustheFurnace wrote:
<quoted text>
Laugh my ass off! I am sending this one to my mom. She is a gillnetter, and has encountered whales many times. I went out one time years ago,(my daughter went all the time) from Prince Rupert to Victoria BC on the boat, and we encountered vagrant killer whales (vagrant meaning they stay there year round all their lives)(also where a lot of Free Willy was filmed).
We followed those whales around for about two hours, watching them play etc. Was one of the most fascinating things I have done.
Oh and to be on topic, this guy was lucky he did not get hurt, that is one hell of a wack. Be glad it was not a shark.
I spent the day in Prince Rupert about two months ago. Nice little town. One of the locals was telling me they have a bit of a wolf problem on the golf course. Seems they like to steal the golf balls.

Since: Aug 08

Azle, TX

#13 Nov 13, 2008
Former Lee Warmer wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent the day in Prince Rupert about two months ago. Nice little town. One of the locals was telling me they have a bit of a wolf problem on the golf course. Seems they like to steal the golf balls.
Would that stealing golf balls is the least of their misbehaviour!

Since: Aug 08

Talisheek, LA

#15 Nov 13, 2008
VernustheFurnace wrote:
<quoted text>

And yes there is a wolf problem in that hole area for hundreds of miles. This is what happens when those stupid enviromentalist interfere in mother nature. They should never have been a protected species, nature as far as I am concerned takes care of itself, and there is usually a reason why some become extinct or no longer exist. Or we would be still dodging dinosaurs.
Agreed.

“The more things change...”

Since: Feb 08

The more they stay the same!!!

#17 Nov 13, 2008
VernustheFurnace wrote:
<quoted text>
ha ha that is so funny. My late mother in law had crows steal them off the gold course nearby and drop the colorful ones off.
And yes there is a wolf problem in that hole area for hundreds of miles. This is what happens when those stupid enviromentalist interfere in mother nature. They should never have been a protected species, nature as far as I am concerned takes care of itself, and there is usually a reason why some become extinct or no longer exist. Or we would be still dodging dinosaurs.
I have a brother in Prince Rupert, he rides a fatboy. Prince Rupert is like Seattle and gets far too much rain. Never ever seen a sunny day. I was born not too far from there in Kitimat.
Funny, I was there once and for only one day and didn't see a drop of rain. Of course I was in Seattle a day later and it wasn't raining there either. Lucked out I guess. By the way, we have alligators on our golf courses.

“The more things change...”

Since: Feb 08

The more they stay the same!!!

#18 Nov 13, 2008
VernustheFurnace wrote:
<quoted text>
there was a woman in that area a while back who was having problems with wolves killing her goats, but the silly women did not have them in a proper shelter, so what does she expect, got all up in arms because the CO would not shoot the wolf, for what, doing what comes natural. Can't do that. She was just a local nuisance anyways, on welfare with a bunch of animals and not sheltering them properly. So she whined, "I cannot afford it'....blah blah blah, Don;t have the damn animals then.... her whining did not get her fencing and shelter as she hoped it would.
They could be mistaking the balls for eggs, as they love to rob nests, lots of ducks in that area too.
I believe in letting animals in the wild world do for themselves, they know best how. And I think people are ridiculous to the point of anal when it comes to dogs and cats. They are not human.
Fellow told me it was one wolf in particular that lived in the woods behind the 7th hole I think. Anyway, he said most of the golfers looked at it as more of an amusement then a nuisance.

“The more things change...”

Since: Feb 08

The more they stay the same!!!

#20 Nov 13, 2008
VernustheFurnace wrote:
<quoted text>
You did luck out. ha ha.
And yes I know you have alligators, I have been to Florida twice and loved it. Never seen no damn crocs though and think they are cool. Went on a croc tour in New Orleans years ago. I guess you really have to be alert on those courses.
When we were in Mexico last year, my hubby seen one on the golf course, I was looking elsewhere so missed it, we were in a cab at the time. The cab driver said after the rains they come lay in the rivers.
Alligators are everywhere but crocodiles are limited to just three small areas here, one of them being the cooling canals of our Southernmost nuclear plant. The Crocs are extremely shy and most Floirdians have never seen one. I am an avid outdoorsman and have seen the elusive Florida panther on two occaisions yet I have never seen a wild croc either.

Since: Aug 08

United States

#22 Nov 13, 2008
I thought alligators were North American and crocodiles were African. Not so?

Since: Aug 08

United States

#23 Nov 13, 2008
VernustheFurnace wrote:
<quoted text>
.... And I think people are ridiculous to the point of anal when it comes to dogs and cats. They are not human.
I hear that! I love my dogs, but they by-god live outdoors. It bothers me to see these young girls with these little teacup dogs being carried around everywhere. I just know the dogs are thinking "Damn! Will you put me the hell down and let me walk around, take a piss and sniff butts like I'm supposed to?! And take this goddamn pink jersey off me!"

Since: Oct 08

Coxsackie, NY

#24 Nov 13, 2008
Topazia wrote:
I thought alligators were North American and crocodiles were African. Not so?
Crocodile occur in the southern tip of Florida, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Africa, Asia, Australia and the islands between. Alligators are North American, with a smaller species in China. Then there's caimans, black caiman, gavial, false gavial, dwarf caiman, dwarf crocodiles, 23 species and a number of ssp. in all.

“The more things change...”

Since: Feb 08

The more they stay the same!!!

#25 Nov 13, 2008
Topazia wrote:
I thought alligators were North American and crocodiles were African. Not so?
Crocodiles are present on every continent except Europe and Antarctica. No worries though, most Floridians don't even know we hae them here. You wouldn't believe how many times I have had to explain this to locals who thought I was just nuts. Here's a link.

http://crocdoc.ifas.ufl.edu/posters/croc_p1.h...

“The more things change...”

Since: Feb 08

The more they stay the same!!!

#26 Nov 13, 2008
omissmyduh wrote:
<quoted text>Crocodile occur in the southern tip of Florida, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Africa, Asia, Australia and the islands between. Alligators are North American, with a smaller species in China. Then there's caimans, black caiman, gavial, false gavial, dwarf caiman, dwarf crocodiles, 23 species and a number of ssp. in all.
We are starting to have feral populations have caimans pop up here as well. Combine those with the other non natives, pythons, monitor lizards, iguanas, Cubans(couldn't resist) and it is starting to look like a real jungle here.
DILF

Medford, NY

#28 Nov 14, 2008
omissmyduh wrote:
<quoted text>Crocodile occur in the southern tip of Florida, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Africa, Asia, Australia and the islands between. Alligators are North American, with a smaller species in China. Then there's caimans, black caiman, gavial, false gavial, dwarf caiman, dwarf crocodiles, 23 species and a number of ssp. in all.
You forgot the infamous Edmonton "old leather" crocodile..... It is pretty docile but just looks pretty damn ugly and scarey.......and it smells terrible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kitesurfing Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Time to ban kite boarding and kite surfing? (Mar '14) Mar '15 dkb 2
News Canadian arrested in St. Lucia after boy drowns... Feb '15 why no forums there 2
News Coastguard Roundup: Coastguards investigate unm... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Business course t... 1
News Exclusive Pics: Egypt Meltdown Doesn't Deter Jo... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Hunter 1
News Surf sunglasses, prescription Rx, water eyewear... (Oct '09) Apr '13 Silverfish 6
News Turtles Beach Resort, Egypt, Studio - ID: 6775962 (Jan '13) Jan '13 rxsteroidscom 1
News Codes of conduct for Chichester district beach ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 rxsteroidscom 1
More from around the web