Legislator wants ATVs to be road legal

Drivers of all-terrain vehicles would be able to get out of the ditch and onto certain roads under legislation being pushed by Rep. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Duh

Denver, CO

#1 Feb 13, 2009
How bout ban them to their backyard so they can tear up their own grass. ATV should not be used for recreational purposes period. They do not belong on any roads and they will only cause more damage to them. I for one would prefer that not one of my tax dollars goes for the recreational use of an all-terrain vehicle that has no business being on our roads.
Scott in Orlando

Orlando, FL

#2 Feb 13, 2009
Why add the oversight for this to an already strained government budget? Terrible idea.
Casanova Frankenstein

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Feb 13, 2009
I'm fairly certain that there isn't a single Minnesota law that allows or prohibits the use of ATVs in Denver.
Fire Childress

Duluth, MN

#4 Feb 13, 2009
Worry about your own state - loser troll.
MMM

Menahga, MN

#5 Feb 13, 2009
For people who live in rural areas this law is a very good idea.
brian in zimmerman mn

Zimmerman, MN

#6 Feb 13, 2009
I believe that these sould be allowed to be road legal. With gas prices as high as they are ,they are better on gas than pickups. They can help more people get around. they are Road Legal in other countries and should be here
Example if people could use these to get to a bus, train or car pool site less fuel
could be used and public transportation would become more useful

THINK ABOUT IT
Brian
Motley Larry

Winter Park, FL

#7 Feb 13, 2009
This law talks about county and township roads.Staying on the far right or on the shoulder would not hurt anything.What does hurt is riding in the ditch,when they come to a driveway they tear up the shoulders.I see it all the time.As far as clueless from Denver,They put in a lot of tax dollars thru license fees.Some fool living in the city shouldn't be allowed to spout off on a subject they know nothing about.
Roy

South Saint Paul, MN

#8 Feb 13, 2009
To the Duh above. Why don't you search the web of information about ATV's in Europe. Polaris which is made here in MN makes a full line of street ATV's that drive all over. Also Arizona has laws that allows them on the streets just like a motorcycle. I can rip up the grass just as much or more with one of my cars or trucks but I choose not to. Same goes for ATV's most people are there just to have fun and tread lightly. The problem is they don't get there picture in the paper for that. I have been a fan of this law for some time and have done a lot of research so I know what Iím talking about. In a time of looking to be more efficient with our fuel it's not rocket science to know my ATV uses less fuel then youíre Toyota Prius. It's one thing to know the facts and offer your opinion and then there are the type that just knows of the bad that is posted in the news. From your post I would make the assumption that you live in a million plus house with a servant to clean for you and considers being out in the wild pulling up to the local park for a picnic. Prove me wrong and tell me you at one time owned an ATV. Tell me you have meet all the great people that enjoy this hobby. Tell me youíve offered to help clean up after a group of poor judgment riders caused damage to private land. Tell me you have gone to trail meeting to help find ways to protect and enjoy the land we have. When you can do that Iíll be here listening.
Taxpayer

Brainerd, MN

#9 Feb 13, 2009
Will Cornish attend the funerals and visit the hospital beds of the people killed by riding unstable machines on our hard surfaced roadways. These machines are unstable and dangerous on hard surfaces. The makers even say that. Our county has seen multiple accidents from people illegally riding on the roads. One young girl may now be a vegetable.

How much money does Cornish get for promoting this "sport" at the expense of our forest trails and driveways?

Since: Jun 08

Apple Valley, MN

#10 Feb 13, 2009
Duh wrote:
How bout ban them to their backyard so they can tear up their own grass. ATV should not be used for recreational purposes period. They do not belong on any roads and they will only cause more damage to them. I for one would prefer that not one of my tax dollars goes for the recreational use of an all-terrain vehicle that has no business being on our roads.
Glad you feel the power to tell other people what they can and can't do.

And while I symphathize with your desire not to see your tax dollars used for recreational use of ATV, I'd like to point out that if we took that approach, we'd be living in an anarchy because for pretty much everything I can probably find someone that doesn't want to pay for it.
Taxpayer

Brainerd, MN

#11 Feb 13, 2009
MN taxpayers have almost $2 million a year stolen from our gas tax fund by the ATV lobby. It is supposed to be a refund because ATVs don't use the highway system. That is false. Just look at the ditches and you'll see plenty of evidence of ATV use.

Will Cornish add an amendment to his bill to stop the theft of our gas tax? No... he won't because he ALWAYS puts the bill for ATV use onto the back of the taxpayers.

Will Cornish add an amendment that bans the use of ATVs in ditches once they can ride on the road. No...because that would be a restriction on this small but profitable (for Cornish and his ilk) group and they consistently fight any regulations.
predictable

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Feb 13, 2009
Taxpayer wrote:
Will Cornish attend the funerals and visit the hospital beds of the people killed by riding unstable machines on our hard surfaced roadways. These machines are unstable and dangerous on hard surfaces. The makers even say that. Our county has seen multiple accidents from people illegally riding on the roads. One young girl may now be a vegetable.
How much money does Cornish get for promoting this "sport" at the expense of our forest trails and driveways?
Please - it is not the government's duty to protect citizens from themselves. No one is forcing ATV riders to go on roads, the bill merely discusses giving them the option in certain circumstances. Ride at *your own risk*.
Roy

South Saint Paul, MN

#13 Feb 13, 2009
Just wanted to pass this on:

Arizona reportedly passed its highway / street legal provisions after retirement communities and other organizations developed proposed legislation allowing ATVs and electric vehicles the ability to be operated on public highways and city streets. It is not uncommon to see ATVs in lines of traffic in downtown Prescott, Arizona or to see licensed ATVs traveling along Arizona
highways around Prescott and throughout Arizona. Yavapai County, Arizona law enforcement has indicated that highway / street legal ATVs have not been a problem and that most law enforcement problems stem from non street legal ATVs rather than from street licensed ATVs. Arizona ATV jamborees now rely on highway / street legal operation when they create organized routes for their events. In Arizona licensed ATV use allows off-road linkage opportunities to ATV operators previously not allowed. Arizona appears to be a success story in support of allowing highway / street legal ATV operation.
Duh

Denver, CO

#14 Feb 13, 2009
Casanova Frankenstein wrote:
I'm fairly certain that there isn't a single Minnesota law that allows or prohibits the use of ATVs in Denver.
You need to box your computer back up and return it because you do not know how to operate it. Denver is where the server is located not where I am located. Nice retort though I found it very informative about your opinion.
Taxpayer

Brainerd, MN

#15 Feb 13, 2009
When someone ends up on life support for decades we all pay and pay and pay. Our insurance rates go up even if the injured party is uninsured. Our hospital bills go up to pay for the unpaid costs of the injured party.

It is irresponsible for Cornish to promote this unnecessary change. It isn't necessary to ride an ATV to get to the store or bar.
Duh

Denver, CO

#16 Feb 13, 2009
Fire Childress wrote:
Worry about your own state - loser troll.
See my reply to Casanova; but hey at least we agree on something. Fire Childress.
Duh

Denver, CO

#17 Feb 13, 2009
Roy wrote:
To the Duh above. Why don't you search the web of information about ATV's in Europe. Polaris which is made here in MN makes a full line of street ATV's that drive all over. Also Arizona has laws that allows them on the streets just like a motorcycle. I can rip up the grass just as much or more with one of my cars or trucks but I choose not to. Same goes for ATV's most people are there just to have fun and tread lightly. The problem is they don't get there picture in the paper for that. I have been a fan of this law for some time and have done a lot of research so I know what Iím talking about. In a time of looking to be more efficient with our fuel it's not rocket science to know my ATV uses less fuel then youíre Toyota Prius. It's one thing to know the facts and offer your opinion and then there are the type that just knows of the bad that is posted in the news. From your post I would make the assumption that you live in a million plus house with a servant to clean for you and considers being out in the wild pulling up to the local park for a picnic. Prove me wrong and tell me you at one time owned an ATV. Tell me you have meet all the great people that enjoy this hobby. Tell me youíve offered to help clean up after a group of poor judgment riders caused damage to private land. Tell me you have gone to trail meeting to help find ways to protect and enjoy the land we have. When you can do that Iíll be here listening.
I have been hunting and watched a bunch of lazy hunters race past me on the road I walk. I have seen pictures of the destroyed wilderness are in the Boundary Waters where ATV's have cut trails to their deer stands. I have stopped ATV'ers with their beer in hand that were on a road illegally, one that would become legal should the law pass at 7:00 AM. ATV is not a mode for use on regular roads and should be treated accordingly. If you spend your money on it then you can pay for your own land to ride it on.
Duh

Denver, CO

#18 Feb 13, 2009
Motley Larry wrote:
This law talks about county and township roads.Staying on the far right or on the shoulder would not hurt anything.What does hurt is riding in the ditch,when they come to a driveway they tear up the shoulders.I see it all the time.As far as clueless from Denver,They put in a lot of tax dollars thru license fees.Some fool living in the city shouldn't be allowed to spout off on a subject they know nothing about.
Take your tax dollars back don't want it. Stay in your own backyard. Also your ASSumptions are incorrect.
Practical

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Feb 13, 2009
Its a little safer riding driving on the side of a township road than in the ditch. And, idiots on ATVs will crash regardless of where they are driving. I am not a big fan of environmental groups but yeah there is a primary nesting season for tweety birds from Mid May to August. A lot of ATV riders have beem driving on township roads for years in rural areas so the law needs to catch up.
Duh

Denver, CO

#20 Feb 13, 2009
kecker wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you feel the power to tell other people what they can and can't do.
And while I symphathize with your desire not to see your tax dollars used for recreational use of ATV, I'd like to point out that if we took that approach, we'd be living in an anarchy because for pretty much everything I can probably find someone that doesn't want to pay for it.
Now someone is catching on. In the immortal words of Sam Kinison "I like the way you think".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

All Terrain Vehicles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lawnpower2 Aug '14 Smile 1
Lawnmowerpower Aug '14 Smile 1
ATVing 'like a big family' Aug '14 usual suspects 1
5 arrested in ATV bust in NY pine barrens (Apr '09) Jul '14 Nick 64
Chineese ATV's (Jul '06) Jul '14 john 47
Controlling 'mudding' in Hobe Sound May '14 Yipee 1
atv trails florida (Mar '06) Mar '14 Butterflygirl 757
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000