Keep the publica s trust alive

Keep the publica s trust alive

There are 6 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Feb 14, 2011, titled Keep the publica s trust alive. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Environmentalists have squared off against Vermonters who want to use all terrain vehicles on connector trails over public lands.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

concerned vermonter

Brooksville, ME

#1 Feb 15, 2011
I ride an atv and I know a lot of other people who ride,we need the use of state lands to connect our other trails.I know I've had it with other people who do not want us to use it.I wish that the governor would impose on all the news papers to have a poll and comments on their papers to have these people live in vermont not all over the united states,make them prove they live here before you accept their vote.
Joe B

Montpelier, VT

#2 Feb 15, 2011
As an ATV enthusiast as well as an outdoor enthusiast I can see the points made by both sides on this issue but for a second look at the financial situation our country is currently going through. Vt currently does not have a deficit and we are constantly looking at ways to protect this by cutting spending in areas where this may not directly affect the situation at hand immediately. Now look at states like NH, MI and ME. These states are all "ATV friendly" and by being so generate hundreds of millions of dollars annually. Now look at VT we have a huge following in the snowmobiling community with VAST and towns like Island Pond as well as numerous other communities depend on this. By offering a mere fraction of this to ATV enthusiasts you open a whole new gateway for local businesses to thrive not for a few months of the year but the entire year. If VT is known for their outdoor friendly mantra and support for local business then why can't we make a place for the ATV community? We all have a place and its time the ATV enthusiast step into ours.
radams

Woodstock, VT

#3 Feb 15, 2011
Way to go Senator Illuzzi. The move by the Douglas administration to establish a rule whereby the ATV organization could apply for up to three short trails across State property was the fair and proper thing to do. The trails on State land would connect two existing trails on private land. As you stated, they would have strict restrictions on how they would be maintained.

They way it was decided by Markowitz that she would undo the rule is simple to figure out in one word. POLITICS!

If the current administration is so certain the ATVers will fail then give them a chance to do it. That should put a stop to all the static. They deserve that chance.
Mike Phillips

Saint Albans, VT

#4 Feb 15, 2011
Thank you Senator Illuzzi for your help shedding light on this sensitive issue. It's is shameful that a person appointed to serve the people of Vermont would so readily use there position in such a self serving way or cave to the demands of outsider (non-resident) interests the way
s. Markowitz has, undermining decades of hard work put forth by the sportsmen and women that ride the already legal trails given to us by the graces of generous landowners. We can only hope that our new administration in Vermont will put ATV enthusiast in the minority by heeding the words of the narrow minded.
Greg Cadieux

Laconia, NH

#5 Feb 15, 2011
Thank you Senator Illuzzi for being willing to give ATV's a fighting chance in Vermont. ATVer's have overcome a lot of hurtles and it would be a shame to shut the door to state land after all of the progress we have made. I would hope that other public officials are willing to take the same step forward and support the possiblity of allowing ATV's on state land.
vtgreenmtn

Greenfield, MA

#6 Feb 16, 2011
Atv's should be allowed on state land to allow trails to be connected. I'm not saying let them all over state land, but if some access could be granted it would greatly improve riding opportunities in this state. The trails are patroled as it is already which stems illeagal riding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

All Terrain Vehicles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chineese ATV's (Jul '06) May '16 Buddy 50
News Motorised vehicles could be allowed on Ottawa V... May '16 Lanark-Renfrew 4-... 1
atv trails florida (Mar '06) Dec '15 gunna 758
News 2 wounded, 5 in custody in 2 Hazleton shootings (Jul '15) Jul '15 Joe Maddon 1
News Illegal Alien Sends Border PatrolAgent to Hospi... (Jun '15) Jun '15 wild child 1
News Crocker Pond group seeks solutions to keep ATVs... (Jan '11) Mar '15 Tammy 19
News 5 arrested in ATV bust in NY pine barrens (Apr '09) Nov '14 Sspdiesel 65
More from around the web