5 arrested in ATV bust in NY pine barrens

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 4, 2009, titled 5 arrested in ATV bust in NY pine barrens. In it, Newsday reports that:

Police say they've caught nearly a half-dozen dirt bikers and all-terrain vehicle riders cavorting in eastern Long Island 's environmentally sensitive pine barrens.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Atv idiots

Huntington, NY

#22 Apr 11, 2009
With a name like "Todd"
He must ride an atv.
Keystone Kwaps

Glen Cove, NY

#23 Apr 11, 2009
The kids that tear up the terra firma on these things are generally your stereotypical useless kwan seeking immediate gratification. But how come the kwops can do something about this and not the hundred thousand illegal m/excrements all over the East End and everywhere else on the island?
www.truthtellers.org
rob

Bronx, NY

#24 Apr 14, 2009
Dirtbags wrote:
They have (or now had) a place to ride out there.
Once again the cannot hold themselves back and must trespass on private property.
You should see the damage they have done in a short period.
we had a place to ride it was public land. then we had a track that got shut down for sum reason. there is no good reason why atv should be illegal
Idiot Rob

Brooklyn, NY

#25 Apr 16, 2009
Your from Mastic.
Please kill yourself.
Unfortunately Omniscient

San Francisco, CA

#26 Apr 16, 2009
ATV Hell Rider wrote:
I killed three turkeys on my quad today. Quads RULE!!!
How did three turkeys get on your quad?
rob

Bronx, NY

#27 Apr 16, 2009
Idiot Rob wrote:
Your from Mastic.
no im from manorville nice try
rob

Bronx, NY

#28 Apr 16, 2009
Unfortunately Omniscient wrote:
<quoted text>
How did three turkeys get on your quad?
I think he means he ran them over.

I dont think turkeys can drive quads.
Unfortunately Omniscient

San Francisco, CA

#29 Apr 16, 2009
rob wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he means he ran them over.
I dont think turkeys can drive quads.
Gee thanks Rob.
Smarty Pants

New York, NY

#30 Apr 17, 2009
rob wrote:
<quoted text>
we had a place to ride it was public land. then we had a track that got shut down for sum reason. there is no good reason why atv should be illegal
Your use of sum requires you to ride your ATV with your nutsac on the tailpipe.
theman

Greensburg, PA

#31 May 20, 2009
man id love to ride my bike all through some of your backyards. all of you who say smash the bikes and atvs. grow up.
rider85

New York, NY

#32 May 30, 2009
Tons of great points on here... glad to see some support for off-roading! Truth is our hobby is no worse than hiking biking or anything else for that matter. True the sports don't mix well but we've been given this circumstance where we have no place to ride so what do you expect. And the point about malls, highways, houses, etc. being the real enemy is the truth! If only the environmentalists would get over us and realize we're fighting for the same thing they are(open space!). Keep fighting for our freedom to ride out there guys and one day hopefully everyone can do it legit.
UpYours

Scarsdale, NY

#33 Jun 14, 2009
theman wrote:
man id love to ride my bike all through some of your backyards. all of you who say smash the bikes and atvs. grow up.
and I would like you to hit a tree and die. These vehicles are stupid and those on them are inconsiderate. If ATV riders want respect, then respect others. Don't make it really loud and ride around the streets.

There is a positive side to ATV's they clear the earth of idiots.

http://www.atvsafety.gov/stats.html
mt sinai atv riders

Queens Village, NY

#34 Jul 24, 2009
Dirtbags wrote:
These idiots are the same group that ride in Calverton. Glad they are no longer in my backyard.
tell me where you live in mt sinai, so i can tear up your lawn, then send it in your wife, if you have one dork
DeniseDWhitehead

Freeport, NY

#35 Jul 24, 2009
Ignorant crackers spending big money on these things while they're Matic children don't even go to a dentist.
DeniseDWhitehead

Freeport, NY

#36 Jul 24, 2009
White boys living in trailers but got to have their ATVs,
Enduro rider

Montville, NJ

#37 May 15, 2010
Well Yeahh and Wow look at the words the so called "environmentalists" (hahahaha) are using or just the way they use words. For instance someone used the word "Dirtbags" as their screen name here, that sounds like someone that cannot control their anger. Some of the people I have meet that have a hatred towards ATV riders or off road motorcyclists seem to get so angry as if the ATV riders did something to them personally. I know one place near me that if you go riding and ANYBODY,(that is how it seems) hears you way out in the distance they call the cops. It almost seems like if someone knows your having fun and they are not they want you arrested. What I am trying to say to Yeahh and Wow and every other off road rider out their is I would not waste to much time fighting with the so called "environmentalists" because they hate you,(in my opinion) and will not listen to you anyway. I was talking to an off road motorcycle rider from Canada and he told me it is legal to ride on public land as long as you have insurance. If the laws were to change here in the U.S. so off road vehicles could ride on public land and it was all over the news that it is LEGAL to ride off road in the U.S.A. most people that call themselves "environmentalists" (sh*t, I call myself an environmentalist) or whatever they want to call themselves would likely stop harassing us because the law told them it is not illegal to ride an ATV on public lands. I bet that every day normal atv rider haters, "environmentalists" would be very very quite since their government changed the law in our favor. I would like to suggest possibly some of these angry people to get a hobby or do something that makes them happy and they can have fun just like ATV riders but in their own way. I like one argument which is, you dont here much from the "environmentalists" when someone destroys 100's of acres of forest and swamp to erect condominiums and houses but as soon as you want to ride down a trail in the woods on your dirt bike it's the end of the world as they know it. Well if atv riders are ruining the environment I have to say this, at least there is still an environment to ruin which in my opinion is minimal compared to just completely erasing it from existence 'building condos, malls, etc.'. I bet these people are so bored that if they noticed you parked your car too far away from the curb they would call the cops just to see you get a ticket. I should not have wrote that now they have new ways to torture people. You should see the kind of looks I get from people when I ride my street legal dirt bike (enduro) on the road. Some of them look at me as if I just murdered somebody, it's funny but at the same time like "what the @@@@" I saw one person try to look to see if I had a license plate I bet he wanted to call the police. I guess he will have to find someone else to pick on he probably walked down the street and make sure everybody's vehicle is 12-18 inches from the curb. I heard from someone its illegal to spit in public (that is kinda disgusting) but at least its another illegal activity those bored people can call the cops for. Check in to it bored people. I also heard it's illegal to..... enough I am tired of typing.

I am sure I will have many angry folk after me now! O well what are you going to do somebody has to do it

Thanks for everyone's time and good luck to fellow off road riders out there.
Dickhead Amper

Trumbull, CT

#38 May 15, 2010
The Pine Barrens is nothing more then sand, scrub oak and pine. Riding ATVs has just about a zero environmental impact. For Suffolk to be wasting police reaources and taxpayers money to keep people out for no reason is insane. So come one and all and enjoy the Suffolk County Pine Barrens Recreational Area.
LINEEDSADRAGSTRI P COM

Lindenhurst, NY

#39 Sep 8, 2010
every one complains about the grass & dirt being torn up well w t f how about every time you see a new gated community or a super mall going up new houses no one complains about that dirt being torn up & the streets having more traffic now do you how may wall greens & cvs stores do we really need on the island do we really need another mall or plaza on route 111 >? i rember when william floyed pkwy was a al woods should we complain about that too !!!!!!
WOODS RIDER

United States

#40 Oct 8, 2010
Great Job SCPD wrote:
Sometimes these thigs get out of hand and the
Parents can't control there Little ANGELS ?
The county should take all the bikes and ATV form them and destroy them !
Next time if there is a next time they will THINK
BEFORE THEY ACT ?
I rode my dirtbike in all the areas of LongIsland for the last twenty years .I have paid my fines plenty .It will never stop me or my fellow riders .Give us a section of those woods to ride and we would use it .Then the cops could work on trying to stop real crime .Lets try to keep this a free country !The only reason they try to catch me is because i make the town money and the crack heads cost the town money.Oh ya houses and golf courses and streets are much better than a few dirt paths you tree huggers dont keep it real.

“You Jackass !”

Since: Sep 10

Bay Shore, NY

#41 Oct 8, 2010
Too Bad wrote:
Rumor has it that the police in the Medford area had a rider play hurt on the side of the trail,when a rider stopped to render assistence he was arrested by the officer,now what,dont stop?
good job Suffolk
Thanks for letting me know that, the next decoy I see I'll be sure to run over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

All Terrain Vehicles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Crocker Pond group seeks solutions to keep ATVs... (Jan '11) Mar '15 Tammy 19
Lawnpower2 (Aug '14) Aug '14 Smile 1
Lawnmowerpower (Aug '14) Aug '14 Smile 1
News ATVing 'like a big family' (Aug '14) Aug '14 usual suspects 1
Chineese ATV's (Jul '06) Jul '14 john 47
News Controlling 'mudding' in Hobe Sound (May '14) May '14 Yipee 1
atv trails florida (Mar '06) Mar '14 Butterflygirl 757
More from around the web