5 arrested in ATV bust in NY pine barrens

Full story: Newsday 65
Police say they've caught nearly a half-dozen dirt bikers and all-terrain vehicle riders cavorting in eastern Long Island 's environmentally sensitive pine barrens. Read more
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Dirtbags

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Apr 6, 2009
These idiots are the same group that ride in Calverton. Glad they are no longer in my backyard.
Who

Bohemia, NY

#2 Apr 6, 2009
List the Names. Maybe others will think twice before doing the same? Maybe not.
Todd Dellepuco

Freeport, NY

#3 Apr 6, 2009
Big bust for Suffolk PD.
Great Job SCPD

Mesquite, NV

#4 Apr 6, 2009
Sometimes these thigs get out of hand and the
Parents can't control there Little ANGELS ?
The county should take all the bikes and ATV form them and destroy them !
Next time if there is a next time they will THINK
BEFORE THEY ACT ?
Dickhead Amper

Florham Park, NJ

#5 Apr 6, 2009
Could somebody explain how the riding of a dirt bike or ATV is going to have an adverse effect on the ground water below a bunch of scrub oak and scrub pines?
George Carlin

New York, NY

#6 Apr 6, 2009
Dickhead Amper wrote:
Could somebody explain how the riding of a dirt bike or ATV is going to have an adverse effect on the ground water below a bunch of scrub oak and scrub pines?
Right after someone explains what chromosome needs to be missing or damaged to create the love of four-wheeling.
Sister Mary Elephant

Bronx, NY

#7 Apr 6, 2009
George Carlin wrote:
<quoted text>Right after someone explains what chromosome needs to be missing or damaged to create the love of four-wheeling.
Lmao, I agree. The same missing chromosome that turns necks red :)
Dirtbags

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Apr 6, 2009
They have (or now had) a place to ride out there.
Once again the cannot hold themselves back and must trespass on private property.
You should see the damage they have done in a short period.
Mike

Hempstead, NY

#10 Apr 6, 2009
Clamping down on ATV and Dirt bike use is going to have a marginal effect, if any. They're not going to give up a fun activity, just because politicians claim it's bad... No they'll continue riding. They're not harming anyone while riding( well maybe themselves, it depends), and the disturbances caused are minimal at best.

Surely there's a middle ground that needs to be reached here, where individuals are allowed these activities. Surely it's a lot less harmful than the rampant "illegal" drag racing.
RRrrrrummmmhhhh

Coram, NY

#11 Apr 6, 2009
By coincidence, I was in the very area a day later.
I saw a hillside torn up by dirt bikers. It was also in an area of dwarf pines, a unique type of forest only found in two places - E. Quogue and southern NJ. A number of plants that are unique also grow in conjunction.
This forest has been fragmented by Zabreski Airport and the Sunrise Highway, not to mention some development.
Save the pines. Nuts to the bikers.
East Quogue local

Norwalk, CT

#12 Apr 6, 2009
I live in e.quogue. People have been riding back there for years.So what, let them ride.It gives the kids something to do.Oh but wait, they are hurting the Pine Barrens right?Well good thing they are going to build a 110 homes and a golf course back there.Thats ok for the Pine Barrens.Give me a break.Oh and way to go SHPD,with all the other crimes and problems in S.H town this is what your worried about?This is were my tax dollars are going?
Too Bad

Middle Island, NY

#13 Apr 6, 2009
To bad no thought of positive recreation was thought of before the Island was paved over.Room fo ATV's could be made,make ATV riders lic and ins thier quads,stick to the trails that already exist, what right to walk around disturbing the critters in the woods does anyone have?The beach is home to all kinds of critters too,close the beaches, the malls were part of the ecosystem before they were built,unbuild them,bulldoze the houses save the chipmonks!
Too Bad

Middle Island, NY

#14 Apr 6, 2009
Rumor has it that the police in the Medford area had a rider play hurt on the side of the trail,when a rider stopped to render assistence he was arrested by the officer,now what,dont stop?
good job Suffolk
ATV Hell Rider

Huntington, NY

#15 Apr 7, 2009
I killed three turkeys on my quad today. Quads RULE!!!
Mike

Bayport, NY

#16 Apr 7, 2009
"Right after someone explains what chromosome needs to be missing or damaged to create the love of four-wheeling."
Yeah, you must be part of the group that lacks the "social acceptance and ability to retain intelligent thought" gene.
yeahh

Bronx, NY

#17 Apr 7, 2009
this article makes me want to go ride more. i'm very curious as to how all of these people are so against riding on dirt and sand trails in the woods when every year hundreds of people are legally allowed to hunt and kill thousands of animals in these very same woods. Secondly, have you ever seen the dirt roads that the D.E.C. drives down through the pine barrens? They are more rutted out and full of oil spills than any other area. What about the concrete trails that the county put in? So now a hard permanent trail is better for the environment than a sand trail with loose soil on it from a dirt bike? Not only that but the Pine Barrens ATV task force rides through those trails all day long! That doesn't sound hypocritical at all to me. Suffolk justice is a joke just like the petty laws that the county and towns choose to enforce. Instead of busting families for riding quads in the sand why don't you spend some time eliminating the huge influx of heroin that we have seen in the past year. Prioritize people!
Dirtbags

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Apr 9, 2009
Timing is perfect, 25 year old "man" lost his arm vs. street sign today on his coch with wheels.
Hope he is a lefty.
wow

Patchogue, NY

#19 Apr 9, 2009
We need to shut down the 100s of golf courses on long Island. They do much more harm to Long Islands enviroment then a couple Dirtbikes a Quads in the Pine barrens. The 1000s of cars that drive through the pine barrens daily do a thousand more times damage then a couple A.T.V.s. When the bulldover rips through the pine barrons to lay the concrete for the highest bidder which we all know will happen will be way worse then a couple A.T.V.s riding through the trails. Open a legal riding area and make some money for the county and give the kids a place to ride.
wow

Patchogue, NY

#20 Apr 9, 2009
All of Long Island sits above the aquafers. Our cesspools our streets our houses schools places of work all sit above these aquafers.
wow

Patchogue, NY

#21 Apr 9, 2009
I think the story clearly states it was Southampton Police that made these arrests..
Todd Dellepuco wrote:
Big bust for Suffolk PD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

All Terrain Vehicles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Crocker Pond group seeks solutions to keep ATVs... (Jan '11) Mar 11 Tammy 19
Lawnpower2 (Aug '14) Aug '14 Smile 1
Lawnmowerpower (Aug '14) Aug '14 Smile 1
News ATVing 'like a big family' (Aug '14) Aug '14 usual suspects 1
Chineese ATV's (Jul '06) Jul '14 john 47
News Controlling 'mudding' in Hobe Sound (May '14) May '14 Yipee 1
atv trails florida (Mar '06) Mar '14 Butterflygirl 757
More from around the web