Lost boy, 4, found in a pond with his...

Lost boy, 4, found in a pond with his puppy in Kandiyohi County

There are 28 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 27, 2010, titled Lost boy, 4, found in a pond with his puppy in Kandiyohi County. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A little boy out for an afternoon adventure with his puppy got lost in a wooded area northeast of New London on Monday, triggering a frantic search.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John C

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Apr 27, 2010
Scary for the parent! Glad the little guy and his puppy are OK. I have a son who is the same age and his 5th birthday is also in June.
DD Austin

Jackson, MS

#23 Apr 27, 2010
It's a great story with a happy ending, but also a reminder to always be aware of where your children are. Many years ago my older brother lost a two year old son who drowned. Don't forget to pray for all the parents still looking for their lost children as well.:) PS. Tell your kids you love them, and give them hugs and kisses every day!!
EVERYONE - makes mistakes

Minneapolis, MN

#24 Apr 27, 2010
Is anyone else besides me surprised that the authorities have not charged the mother with any kind of wrong doing?

That is of course because nowadays, no matter what happens, or what the reason, even under presumably innocent circumstances, there always seems to be someone looking to find something wrong with every move that anyone makes so they can get something out of it – which is usually monetary - whether it's the public, the judicial system or the media, but basically - this scenario sounds like many of the same types of situations which ends up in the news – however most of them are pointing accusational fingers at whoever they can, which ends up devastating an entire family unnecessarily.

But could it also be that depending on who you are, where you live, what nationality you are – makes you more or less vulnerable to what story gets told and what happens afterwards?

Really, who is to blame? Could it be we as readers and viewers are primarily the cause of why this is happening?

Because we became so hungry for any kind of negative news that the media began to glom on to and embellish stories like these in ways as to feed a sick society who tunes in or buys in to the who can we blame game? If this is what we say we want - doesn't that make us the ones that help to perpetuate these stories over and over again?

What about the law which also began to feel obligated to "do something" based on what the public was feeding upon and now does so on just about every little thing that happens – and because they finally figured out that “hey”, why not capitalize on punishing people for things that used to be just plain and simple every day innocent mistakes being made.

Thank goodness that there are some good stories like this one that gets written to prove that we haven't completely gone off the deep end - and that there are times when basically being human, as this mother presumably and quite likely was, tells us that simply “it is what it is”– mom turns her back for a few minutes, child wanders away - as many children have - and even I did as a child – and that means that no matter how hard they try, moms can’t always pay 100% attention to every move their child will make. And what if something bad did happen to the child – should she be made to suffer even more because we can’t get our fill or because of a corrupted system?

Is it too late? Do you think we could ever find other ways to fuel and fund the system rather than penalizing innocent people for being human - and when are we going to learn what it really means by garbage in – garbage out – that we are what we eat – be it also with our eyes and with our ears – and that as long as we gravitate towards the not so good, the bad and the ugly– we'll got exactly what we wanted all along scratching our heads and wondering why there is so much trouble in the world.
bobby

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Apr 27, 2010
hdog wrote:
The word "alive" would have helped in the heading.
True. but then not as many people would have read the article.
Moron Parent

Hastings, MN

#26 Apr 27, 2010
I think the mother should be locked up for child abuse. She left him alone for 7-10 minutes? jeeez, what kind of parent is she? Maybe a few months in jail will make her take notice that she has a small child around and needs to pay attention to him 100% of the time.
We need a better America

Minneapolis, MN

#27 Apr 27, 2010
Affula wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe this is part of the problem, that so many children grow up without a sense of responsibility because they expect someone to be watching over them all the time. Its impossible to protect your children from every danger, every second of every day... Maybe instead of looking for places to put blame, you have to just concede that life is not fair, and horrible accidents can happen. Obviously a very happy ending here though!
Leaving a 4 year alone is not going to teach a him responsibility. There are much better ways to teach 4 year olds responsibility. And just because you don't agree with my comment is no reason for you to be insulting (I'm referring to your comment after this.) A 4 year old is not old enough to make good decisions and be expected to always follow the rules.

I've seen mothers who have left children 2-3 years old outside by themselves for "five minutes" while they went inside to do something quick. One 2 year was headed for the street. I convinced her to stay in her yard until her mom came out which was much longer than 5 minutes. I said what I did to prevent future tragedies.
mrprep

Fort Walton Beach, FL

#28 Apr 27, 2010
A happy ending to the best boy-and-his-dog story I've read in a long time.
Ruth Alan

AOL

#29 Apr 28, 2010
"Lost Boy, 4, found in a pond" by Carolyn Lange is featured today on oddtodd.com ...daily good stuff...daily good news!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

All Terrain Vehicles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 2 wounded, 5 in custody in 2 Hazleton shootings Jul '15 Joe Maddon 1
News Illegal Alien Sends Border PatrolAgent to Hospi... Jun '15 wild child 1
News Crocker Pond group seeks solutions to keep ATVs... (Jan '11) Mar '15 Tammy 19
News 5 arrested in ATV bust in NY pine barrens (Apr '09) Nov '14 Sspdiesel 65
Lawnpower2 (Aug '14) Aug '14 Smile 1
Lawnmowerpower (Aug '14) Aug '14 Smile 1
News ATVing 'like a big family' (Aug '14) Aug '14 usual suspects 1
More from around the web