Follow me out of here. No, wait. I'm ...

Follow me out of here. No, wait. I'm lost, too.

There are 46 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 20, 2010, titled Follow me out of here. No, wait. I'm lost, too.. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A mother-son bicycle trip became a miniature search-and-rescue exercise Monday night when the pair lost their way in the woods of Lebanon Hills Regional Park in Eagan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tired

Chicago, IL

#1 Jul 20, 2010
What happened to the compass?
Bob

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Jul 20, 2010
Sub-urbanites...
GreatDay

Princeton, NC

#3 Jul 21, 2010
Cops got lost finding the lost people...sounds to me like a new law is coming.
All residents preparing to use the park must take a six week course on not getting lost, and purchase a "Do not get lost" permit from the county.
A 40 dollars "Do not get lost" tax be paid, and file for a renewal of the "Do not get lost" permit every year.
All permit holders must pass an eye test and have search and rescue liabilty insurance.
Okay, Eagan lawmakers get to work!
The park now has a entry fee, and a value added tax fee. Also a helicopter surcharge!
Bill

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jul 21, 2010
In defense of the mother and son who got lost, I have lots of experience hiking and backpacking in wilderness areas in the United States (and I have been lost a few times), but the most lost I have EVER been in a state or regional park was in Lebanon Hills Regional Park! I had a compass and I had a map, but I got onto some trails (horse trails, I think) where there were few "You are here" signs. Darkness was approaching, and I had a day pack with food, water, a space blanket, and other essentials, and I literally started to think I might have to spend the night in the park, which blew me away because I was right in the city! I eventually found my way out, right at darkness. But, I love the park, and I love the fact that it is large enough and wooded enough to get lost once in a while. I consider it to be the Bermuda Triangle of urban parks!
FilmAtTen

AOL

#5 Jul 21, 2010
GreatDay wrote:
Cops got lost finding the lost people...sounds to me like a new law is coming.
All residents preparing to use the park must take a six week course on not getting lost, and purchase a "Do not get lost" permit from the county.
A 40 dollars "Do not get lost" tax be paid, and file for a renewal of the "Do not get lost" permit every year.
All permit holders must pass an eye test and have search and rescue liabilty insurance.
Okay, Eagan lawmakers get to work!
The park now has a entry fee, and a value added tax fee. Also a helicopter surcharge!
The "yuppie bone-heads" will probably try going canoeing in the BWCA next, and call 911 with their cell phone for a plane rescue......
The last "rescue" in the B-dub was a sprained wrist on a teenager, who`s parent didn`t know the first thing about first aid, safety in the wilderness, or how to paddle a canoe out of danger. Yeah, you yuppie clowns need to park your bikes and other toys and sit nearer the TV where you belong.
YoMammy

United States

#6 Jul 21, 2010
They should be charged the cost of sending the helicopter up, using one to search a park is ridiculous.

The park is 3 square miles, go any direction for 20 minutes and you will hit a road.
OLd White Guy

Eau Claire, WI

#7 Jul 21, 2010
Should have let "nature weed out the stupid"
Tired of it all

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jul 21, 2010
YoMammy wrote:
They should be charged the cost of sending the helicopter up, using one to search a park is ridiculous.
The park is 3 square miles, go any direction for 20 minutes and you will hit a road.
That would be the worst thing to do. You have never been in that area I can tell. It's very hilly, swampy, and full of buck thorn and thick brush. You try and go cross-country in that area you might find a road. But you will come out battered, scratched all the heck, and very tired.

That bike path they were on is like a highway. I bike it often. FOLLOW THE PATH. It several feet wide, as bikers are on it daily.
Oy Vey everybody

Burnsville, MN

#9 Jul 21, 2010
Tired of it all wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be the worst thing to do. You have never been in that area I can tell. It's very hilly, swampy, and full of buck thorn and thick brush. You try and go cross-country in that area you might find a road. But you will come out battered, scratched all the heck, and very tired.
That bike path they were on is like a highway. I bike it often. FOLLOW THE PATH. It several feet wide, as bikers are on it daily.
You try and go cross-country in that area you might find a road. But you will come out battered, scratched all the heck, and very tired.

That is the natural consequence of being a yahoo. Battered, Scratched all to heck and tired. But alive, and wiser.
RainMan

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jul 21, 2010
YoMammy wrote:
Got to agree; Park a cop car in a parking lot...sound the horn, siren... if they can't follow the sound, then stay lost.
juan

Eden Prairie, MN

#11 Jul 21, 2010
Our tax dollars go for this?
Mormon Nailer

United States

#12 Jul 21, 2010
I hate, hate, HATE the [email protected] people who always chime in "Why is this news?" because they're stupid, over-cynical, and think they're smarter than everyone, especially media professionals.

But no one was hurt... they weren't lost very long... so I have to say: Why is this news?
Rob

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Jul 21, 2010
Beside the fact that it sounds like people panicked when there was no need to really worry much(it's not the wilderness, bring a lighter for fire)... this kind of sounds like another Keystone Cops maneuver by the boys in blue.
Rob

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jul 21, 2010
Bill wrote:
In defense of the mother and son who got lost, I have lots of experience hiking and backpacking in wilderness areas in the United States (and I have been lost a few times), but the most lost I have EVER been in a state or regional park was in Lebanon Hills Regional Park! I had a compass and I had a map, but I got onto some trails (horse trails, I think) where there were few "You are here" signs. Darkness was approaching, and I had a day pack with food, water, a space blanket, and other essentials, and I literally started to think I might have to spend the night in the park, which blew me away because I was right in the city! I eventually found my way out, right at darkness. But, I love the park, and I love the fact that it is large enough and wooded enough to get lost once in a while. I consider it to be the Bermuda Triangle of urban parks!
Cool.
Bob

Hastings, MN

#15 Jul 21, 2010
Stupid is as stupid does.
What the

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jul 21, 2010
They should have put out a box of donuts atleast the cop would have found his way out. Lost in a park surrounded by roads and houses.
DFL Donald

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Jul 21, 2010
These people were most likely the products of the Public school system. Maybe if they learned how to read and understand, they could have figured it out from the directional signs.
fred

Tomah, WI

#18 Jul 21, 2010
What a nasty bunch you are! You're a sterling example of 'Minnesota nice'.

There is nothing stupid about a parent engaging in a healthy activity with a child. There is nothing 'bone-headed' about getting lost.

I have an almost unerring internal sense of compass direction. I know how to read my environment. It is rare for me to get lost hiking, driving, whatever but it has happened. Ye gods! Whatever happened to acceptance of human limitations? Can't you nasty people read this as the all's-well-that-ends-well human interest story that it is?

Nasty creeps.
fred

Tomah, WI

#19 Jul 21, 2010
DFL D, perhaps you would benefit by actually reading the article:

"The trio came across a marker labeled Q and then found a rest area, but when Stephens relayed that information, no one could find a master list of the bike trail markers, he wrote in his report, and "no one could tell us where we were."

They were attempting to use markers. RIF, DFLD, RIF.
DFL Donald

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Jul 21, 2010
Tired of it all wrote:
<quoted text>
Battered and tired, but ALIVE!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

All Terrain Vehicles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News ATV issues decreasing in Bay Roberts Aug '17 leofraney 1
News 5 arrested in ATV bust in NY pine barrens (Apr '09) Jun '17 FCC investigated ... 74
News Senator: ATV law will provide better enforcement (Apr '09) Sep '16 Wildman77 28
Chineese ATV's (Jul '06) May '16 Buddy 50
News Motorised vehicles could be allowed on Ottawa V... (May '16) May '16 Lanark-Renfrew 4-... 1
atv trails florida (Mar '06) Dec '15 gunna 758
News 2 wounded, 5 in custody in 2 Hazleton shootings (Jul '15) Jul '15 Joe Maddon 1
More from around the web