How long does it take to become local?

How long does it take to become local?

There are 232 comments on the Honolulu story from Dec 23, 2012, titled How long does it take to become local?. In it, Honolulu reports that:

It's always fun when national entertainment media tells stories about Hawaii. This October, Comedy Central broadcast an episode of South Park entitled "Going Native." In it, one of the young characters learns that, although his family now lives in Colorado, he was born in Hawaii.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu.

District 1

Kailua Kona, HI

#169 Feb 13, 2013
Curious forum lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a lot of truth to what you're saying. I don't argue that. I never said everything is "honkydory", but the topic was Hawaii (Kaua'i) and how long it takes to be a local. If the topic was about the Detroit Metro area, then I would tell you that things aren't "honkydory"
In fact, one of the most segregated states I've ever lived in is Michigan.
My first post asserted that respect was key. This is true anywhere in any culture in the world. Go to Scotland and try telling them how we do things in the USA, and you'll likely end up with a haggis enema, white or not.
It's not racism--it's in-group vs out-group.
And malihini haoles are the out-group in Hawaii.
District 1

Kailua Kona, HI

#170 Feb 14, 2013
Curious forum lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Or they can possible end up like that gangbanger who got shot by that State Department Special Agent at the Mickey D's during Asian Pacific Summit back in November of 2011.... I guess he really wanted a "carry out".
One problem here is when "local boyz" make "big body" with haoles. I totally disagree with this level of racism.
I believe Deedy was drunk and therefore derelict in his sworn duty, and Elderts was "asking for it."
Bad outcome. Shht happens. Two lives ruined. Nothing good happens in Waikiki after 11pm.
District 1

Kailua Kona, HI

#171 Feb 14, 2013
ps Judging the rest of Hawaii by the likes of Elderts is racist stereotyping, however. He would be considered an a@@hole in any of the 50 states, and Deedy would be judged incompetent in the same 50 as well.
I watch the News do you

Honolulu, HI

#172 Feb 14, 2013
District 1 wrote:
But this claim of yours is just ridiculous:
"I wouldn't single out Hawaii either, any isolated island(s) on the planet are going to be more prone to such behavior. For example, Muslims in the U.K. aren't exactly hated upon, the vast majority go about their business just like anyone else, but I'm willing to bet if a few Muslim families moved to an overseas territory of the U.K. Such as The Falkland Islands, they would probably face some level of ostracism."
My assertion is that racism is everywhere equally because it is a function of human interaction to judge others--often unfairly (just as you are doing) based on experiences, observation and in-group sentiments. You, on the other hand, want to point fingers of blame, while failing to acknowledge what's happening "back home" because everything is honkydory there as far as you can tell.
You just don't get that.
Racism is NOT everywhere "equally". There are many places less racist than Waianae or the Israeli/Palestinian border region.
District 1

Kailua Kona, HI

#173 Feb 14, 2013
I watch the News do you wrote:
<quoted text>
Racism is NOT everywhere "equally". There are many places less racist than Waianae or the Israeli/Palestinian border region.
Well, of course one would observe "less" racism in homogeneous areas, and perceive "more" racism where cultures clash (as in Waianae, Arizona, and Israel), but that doesn't mean peoples' hearts are more or less pure racially speaking if the society is homogeneous.
Japan is among the most xenophobic developed nations, as is Australia.
Try driving while Black in LA, or driving while White in Mogadishu.

Haoles don't have a lock on enlightened interaction with brownies, and when the shoe is on the other foot, Haoles tend to expect respect without feeling the need to earn it.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#174 Feb 14, 2013
Waianae is racist? Could have fooled me, I've lived here for years and have seen not one incident of it, except some animosity for the Micros when they cut in line, or slowly waddle into traffic with a trail of kids behind them like ducklings.
Leeward LOLO

Honolulu, HI

#175 Feb 14, 2013
You haven't been to the Real Waianae until unprovoked you are yelled at by a group of ten in a pickup, "F'en Haole go home!

That was last century so probably half of then have passed on from reckless driving, od'ed on drugs, and being kicked to death by some homies

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#176 Feb 14, 2013
Leeward LOLO wrote:
You haven't been to the Real Waianae until unprovoked you are yelled at by a group of ten in a pickup, "F'en Haole go home!
That was last century so probably half of then have passed on from reckless driving, od'ed on drugs, and being kicked to death by some homies
I've been here, in the local community, since I was a teenager and have never seen anything like you describe, so I say they are VERY isolated incidents.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#177 Feb 14, 2013
I watch the News do you wrote:
<quoted text>
Racism is NOT everywhere "equally". There are many places less racist than Waianae or the Israeli/Palestinian border region.
That can't be true :). It must just be the white man's perception. After all, we are used to conquering, raping natives, and plundering,

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#178 Feb 14, 2013
District 1 wrote:
<quoted text>One problem here is when "local boyz" make "big body" with haoles. I totally disagree with this level of racism.
I believe Deedy was drunk and therefore derelict in his sworn duty, and Elderts was "asking for it."
Bad outcome. Shht happens. Two lives ruined. Nothing good happens in Waikiki after 11pm.
Yep, that incident quickly became a circus. The whole thing is sad, but that's why it's never wise to assault someone. I think Deedy was ultimately cleared. He was there for work, I doubt he would ever go back for a vacation..... Maybe to the Big Island...but probably not Honolulu.
District 1

Kailua Kona, HI

#180 Feb 15, 2013
Curious forum lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
That can't be true :). It must just be the white man's perception. After all, we are used to conquering, raping natives, and plundering,
Now you get it.
Even sarcasm has an element of truth.
District 1

Kailua Kona, HI

#181 Feb 15, 2013
Curious forum lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, that incident quickly became a circus. The whole thing is sad, but that's why it's never wise to assault someone. I think Deedy was ultimately cleared. He was there for work, I doubt he would ever go back for a vacation..... Maybe to the Big Island...but probably not Honolulu.
Nope. Deedy is still up for trial.
Judge Karen Ahn rescheduled the hearing to Feb. 25 after Deedy's lawyer handed her new legal papers asking to limit the use of Deedy's prior testimony on his previous request to dismiss the murder charge. Ahn pushed back the hearing date to give the state time to respond.
He'll be found guilty I'd bet.
Drunk, armed and haole is no way to disprove racist stereotypes. Neither is "acking" like a dumb local.
See? Plenty of stupidity to go around. No need to place it on only one "type" of person.

“COP'S LIVES MATTER”

Since: Mar 09

THUG'S LIVES DONT MATTER

#182 Feb 16, 2013
Deedy is claiming self-defense, he has one of the best criminal defense lawyers in Hawaii. Allegedly, the local was a drunk punk who was harassing other customers which is why Deedy stepped in which I think any law enforcement officer would have done. Not sure if he should've shot Elderts.. that could've been excessive force depending on what's on the tape. Could go either way. It will be a veeery interesting case.

“COP'S LIVES MATTER”

Since: Mar 09

THUG'S LIVES DONT MATTER

#183 Feb 16, 2013
District 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Drunk, armed and haole is no way to disprove racist stereotypes. Neither is "acking" like a dumb local.
See? Plenty of stupidity to go around. No need to place it on only one "type" of person.
They didn't determine if he was drunk because he refused to be tested.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#184 Feb 16, 2013
A law enforcement officer is trained to stop the threat by any means at hand, meaning he wasn't required to fight fists-on-fists with the drunken troublemaking racist. I hope Deedy gets off, with possibly a big "thank you" from the state. Haole customers at that McDonalds are a lot safer with this guy six feet under.
District 1

Kailua Kona, HI

#185 Feb 16, 2013
"What the witnesses say is that at one point, the agent (Christopher Deedy), who apparently appeared very intoxicated, asked my client (Elderts) if he'd like to get shot. And everybody was stunned."
--Attorney Michael Green

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#186 Feb 16, 2013
District 1 wrote:
"What the witnesses say is that at one point, the agent (Christopher Deedy), who apparently appeared very intoxicated, asked my client (Elderts) if he'd like to get shot. And everybody was stunned."
--Attorney Michael Green
Seems to be something a cop might say, more as a smart-ass warning. I think the witnesses may have appeared more "stunned" that a "tourist" might actually be carrying a gun. They expected Deedy to take an ass-whipping by a big Ainokea local drunk. If a few more of these local asshole troublemakers were shot, maybe they would find something else to do besides show their ass. I think Deedy did us all a favor.
District 1

Kailua Kona, HI

#187 Feb 16, 2013
Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems to be something a cop might say, more as a smart-ass warning. I think the witnesses may have appeared more "stunned" that a "tourist" might actually be carrying a gun. They expected Deedy to take an ass-whipping by a big Ainokea local drunk. If a few more of these local asshole troublemakers were shot, maybe they would find something else to do besides show their ass. I think Deedy did us all a favor.
You understand I don't disagree with your assessment.
My assertion is that Deedy was apparently derelict in his duties by being drunk while carrying--AS A SWORN FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENT. Therefore he cannot expect protection under the Supremacy Clause.

In Idaho v. Lon T. Horiuchi, the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in 2001 wrote:“If federal agents are to perform their duties vigorously, however, they cannot be unduly constrained by fear of state prosecutions. Accordingly, the Supreme Court has held that the Supremacy Clause cloaks federal agents with immunity if they act reasonably in carrying out their responsibilities. See In re Neagle, 135 U.S. 1, 75 (1890).”

Acting reasonably would be the case if Deedy were not reportedly drunk. Probably calling 911 rather than trying to exercise powers as a Federal Agent to intercede in a "beef," race related or not, would probably have been significantly more "reasonable."

“COP'S LIVES MATTER”

Since: Mar 09

THUG'S LIVES DONT MATTER

#188 Feb 16, 2013
I don't believe anything the local media prints...the video is the key to deciding this case....

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#189 Feb 17, 2013
American_Infidel wrote:
I don't believe anything the local media prints...the video is the key to deciding this case....
I agree. I think Deedy may not have been drunk at all, and it's just a matter of "Get the Haole," because they are so scared of the idea of a haole getting away with killing one of their local thugs. Deedy did us all a great service, but local thugs and their families fear the same fate. They are used to not fearing the law, or the victims. they have always been free to beat people up at will, never fearing consequences for their violence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pat Robertson: God Put 'Ungodly' Hollywood Gays... 2 hr Gaybriel 4
News 'Gator Boys' fans treated to Paul Bedard for Mo... 2 hr john 2
News Tom Brady sketch artist gets another shot 2 hr Schnooki 1
News Colin Farrell quit smoking by writing breakup l... 5 hr informer 2
News Actress: Religion not 'trendy' 6 hr BetheljudgmentDan... 11
News Former Skid Row singer, Sebastian Bach, selling... 8 hr Village voice 2
News Huckabee Affirms Support For Duggar Family Foll... 11 hr Mikey 10
More from around the web