WTHI's General Manager explains Time ...

WTHI's General Manager explains Time Warner issue

There are 178 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Oct 2, 2008, titled WTHI's General Manager explains Time Warner issue. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

The clock is ticking as the contract between WTHI parent company, LIN Television and Time Warner Cable ends tonight, Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

ExNewsie

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#103 Oct 8, 2008
Da Cable Guy wrote:
Jacque, if read any of the numerous press releases that have been circulated, you would have known that Time-Warner rejected an extension several months ago...
True. From my research, LIN TV offered Time Warner an extension months ago so they would have time to negotiate. Time Warner didn't really reject the offer, they simply ignored it.

In fact, Time Warner apparently ignored lots of communication attempts for several months leading up to this mess. It wasn't until the contract expiration deadline was just a week or so away that Time Warner even responded.

After that behavior I wouldn't have granted them an extension either.
Dorian

AOL

#104 Oct 8, 2008
why not wrote:
when will we get to pick just the channels we want to view. no more of Dish or TW packages.if you want shopping network or religious channels fine but why should we have to pay for them if not wanted
They act like some channels couldn't survive unless all customers are forced to pay for them. ESPN channels and Fox Sports cost A LOT and are one reason for cable packages for being so high. Disney and ABC Family are as well because they produce a lot of original series programming.

Well let those who watch sports and ESPN pay for it. I myself never watch it and don't care about it. They're going to have to do something different becacuse at the rate cable increases, it's going to be up to $60 a month before too long and that's ridiculous for people's budgets.
Dish

AOL

#105 Oct 8, 2008
Dish Network offers a locals only package for $9.99 a month and a welcome pack with some additional basic channels and locals for $14.99. I'm not sure if there's an install fee or a contract for these packages.

I do know when I looked about signing up for their Dish Family package for $24.99 a month with local stations, I could pay a $50 install fee instead of committing to any programming contract.
Penny

Canal Winchester, OH

#107 Oct 8, 2008
Just wanted to say that all though I support you in what you're trying to do, it stinks that I can't watch my favorite daytime/early evening shows because of this dispute. Not everyone can afford to change their service---especially when we're talking about cable/internet/telephone---eve n with some coupon for $50 off. Those of us who can't are just out of luck!
delta

United States

#108 Oct 8, 2008
Please reach an agreement-I do not watch much tv, but in the morning I do like WTHI, those two ding-bats on WTWO-Dana-Alexis?? are the most annoying people on television.
Marco

AOL

#109 Oct 8, 2008
delta wrote:
Please reach an agreement-I do not watch much tv, but in the morning I do like WTHI, those two ding-bats on WTWO-Dana-Alexis?? are the most annoying people on television.
Did they ever say what happened to Julie Hendricks on WTWO?? All the sudden she was gone.
concerned Dad

Westerville, OH

#110 Oct 8, 2008
Dish wrote:
Dish Network offers a locals only package for $9.99 a month and a welcome pack with some additional basic channels and locals for $14.99. I'm not sure if there's an install fee or a contract for these packages.
I do know when I looked about signing up for their Dish Family package for $24.99 a month with local stations, I could pay a $50 install fee instead of committing to any programming contract.
I think you people are forgeting the price or rental of the dish itself it sure aint cheap

Since: Oct 08

Britton, MI

#111 Oct 8, 2008
meupno wrote:
Folks - be careful before switching to the Dish package. I think you have to sign up for a 2 year contract. And from what I have read, Lin TV's contract with Dish expires 03/01/09 which means WTHI could go "black" then also!
How much are your rates going up after your 2 year contract your rates could go sky high. you have no choice but to pay the higher rates or go back to cable. You got to admit Dish goes out more then cable.
Radioman

Terre Haute, IN

#112 Oct 9, 2008
rev billy bob wrote:
<quoted text>
How much are your rates going up after your 2 year contract your rates could go sky high. you have no choice but to pay the higher rates or go back to cable. You got to admit Dish goes out more then cable.
I would expect that in two years their may be more competition in Terre Haute. Direct TV has done the deal for locals, they just need to set up the equipment. The city council is going to have to let some sort of competition come in. Monopoly rules are going to be sited left and right. DISH going out is such a fable. Sure it goes out but in 4 years it has been 2 times for 15 minutes, but I still have the antenna. The other times I could not watch DISH was when the power went out, and in that case nothing except my battery powered radio and TV worked and that was on the antenna. All satellite transmission can go out, that is how most places receive their signals anyway. NBC, CBS, FOX, ABC, ESPN. All via satellite. For those that don't want the alternative to TWC, OK. Get your government coupon, pick up the box, hook up an antenna and watch 2, 10 and 38.
Gibbs

Terre Haute, IN

#113 Oct 9, 2008
Well, well, well. Here we go a week into the 10 out. TWC is still handing out antennas. People are still in line. I am watching more and more 2, 10 and 38 off the antenna. Still have cable, but for how long? Just a little nervous about changing, cause I don't like change, but am getting real close. The antennas that many have will also work for the February digital transition, so get your coupons like Radioman says. I refuse to miss Survivor, CSI, Criminal Minds, NFL and of course NCIS and 10 News. For those that don't watch WTHI or will never again, you made your point so have a nice day. I like it, miss the ease of cable but I am finding better ways.
-sigh-

Westerville, OH

#114 Oct 9, 2008
delta wrote:
Please reach an agreement-I do not watch much tv, but in the morning I do like WTHI, those two ding-bats on WTWO-Dana-Alexis?? are the most annoying people on television.
My husband and I get up early during the week so we have time to watch the news and have a cup of tea. Since losing WTHI, we have attempted to watch WTWO exactly twice in the mornings, both times we have turned the tv off.

Last night we wanted to watch the evening news. Same story. I'm not a fan of any of the on-air personalities on WTWO. Guess I'll be fighting the hoardes at the TW office to get an antenna.*sigh*
northsider

Canal Winchester, OH

#115 Oct 9, 2008
If you have a HDTV, you could also get a better antenna and get the HD signal. It is much better than anything TWC can provide. I can't get it because of where I live, but where I used to live, I loved to watch it because the picture is much crisper.
donna

United States

#116 Oct 9, 2008
GREED GREED GREED...THE PEOPLE ALWAYS LOOSE
Tammy

Warren, PA

#117 Oct 9, 2008
I bet Time Warner is losing a lot of customers. I know just this week 3 of my neighbors switched to Dish Network!!!
Jared

AOL

#118 Oct 9, 2008
Can people in Terre Haute get WTHI's HD signal with an indoor antenna? I live in Robinson, IL and I can't pick it up and it concerns me because WTHI's is full power on UHF channel 24. Come February, 2 and 38 which actually broadcasting digital on UHF 36 and 39 respectively will go full power and if I can't get WTHI's signal now while its full power, how am I going to get WTWO and WFXW?? I get 2 and 10 in fine with rabbit ears now, 38 is snowy, but I'm concerned come February, I'll have nothing.
ohhhh

Terre Haute, IN

#119 Oct 10, 2008
meupno wrote:
Folks - be careful before switching to the Dish package. I think you have to sign up for a 2 year contract. And from what I have read, Lin TV's contract with Dish expires 03/01/09 which means WTHI could go "black" then also!
I wouldn't worry about it, dish will just pay the penny per day and pass a 1 dollar rate increase to all of their customers nationwide.
ohhhh

Terre Haute, IN

#120 Oct 10, 2008
rev billy bob wrote:
<quoted text>
How much are your rates going up after your 2 year contract your rates could go sky high. you have no choice but to pay the higher rates or go back to cable. You got to admit Dish goes out more then cable.
the rates don't sky rocket after your contract expires, they stay the same. if dish changes package prices across the board you are subject to them if you are on a month to month but I have actually reduced my bill slightly by using packaged deals to my advantage since my initial contract.

My dish goes out less than the cable I have had in certain places.
Dish 2

Indianapolis, IN

#122 Oct 10, 2008
Dish wrote:
Dish Network offers a locals only package for $9.99 a month and a welcome pack with some additional basic channels and locals for $14.99. I'm not sure if there's an install fee or a contract for these packages.
I do know when I looked about signing up for their Dish Family package for $24.99 a month with local stations, I could pay a $50 install fee instead of committing to any programming contract.
Hey I will say I switched to Dish this week and got a great package deal. Pretty much what ever I wanted. I spent thirty minutes on the phone with them and told them what I wanted and if I could not get it there was no way I was switching. I got all the channel's I wanted well over 200 and NFL package and HBO for less than I was paying with cable. Its a good deal and free equipment and they were there in two days and had everything hooked up. Heck with cable they raised my rates so many times and then turn around and take off Channel 10 Heck with them and that fat bastard who manages that place he is a self centered ass hole.
Lori - Terre Haute

Delaware, OH

#123 Oct 10, 2008
WTHI - you're just hurting yourself. I've found that after a week without you, I don't need to watch your programming. I get plenty of entertainment and news from the other stations in Time Warner's cable package. So, thanks!
Frank

AOL

#124 Oct 11, 2008
Local channels had the same problem a few years ago with the satellite companies not carrying their signal, so everyone switched to cable. Now it's an issue with the cabel companies and you recommend switching to dish. You all are ridiculous. You are losing money because no one is watching and if I was advertising on your channel, I would yank it now. Cable here is more expensive than Indy because of their monopoly here, but Indianapolis cable companies didn't "reach an agreement" to carry CBS on their line-up either. I just wanted to watch the Colts and 2 shows on Friday night. I do not want to switch to satellite, because they have their own set of problems related to trees and weather, etc. Your signal is free and your income depends on advertising. Cable has expenses related to maintaining lines, equipment, etc. Everyone has become so greedy, hence our economic problems,and I am so angry that I hope you all lose thousands in revenue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 19 min silly rabbit 312,851
News Grab a Pussy!': PETA Billboards Urging Pet Adop... 1 hr Squach 240
News Paul Ryan Says U.S. Will Not Wall Off Entire Me... 2 hr o see the light 91
News Top 5: Texas country singer Kevin Fowler 2 hr Huey Arkbark 1
News White rage and racist thought: How history puts... 2 hr southern at heart 60
News 'Miss Sloane': Bad behavior on Capitol Hill 2 hr Frogface Kate 1
News Who says Mormons aren't Christians? (Oct '11) 2 hr Charlene 32,074
More from around the web