Gibson Pond reborn in new Lexington park

Gibson Pond reborn in new Lexington park

There are 9 comments on the The State story from Jul 26, 2007, titled Gibson Pond reborn in new Lexington park. In it, The State reports that:

A half century ago, only the extravagantly rich had their own swimming pools and most parents had no qualms about letting their children wander in the woods.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The State.

Don Cook

Society Hill, SC

#1 Jul 27, 2007
I really enjoyed the story but I wish it had told the reader who to contact in order to reserve the picnic shelters.
Perry

Duluth, GA

#2 Jul 27, 2007
The grand kids and me accidentally discovered the new park yesterday. Finally a place to have an outdoor bag lunch/picnic and wet a fishing line close to home.
DL Armstrong Sease

AOL

#3 Aug 10, 2007
I grew up right down the road from there, when there was a tralior Park my best friend lived there wow alote of good times, can't wait to get by there with my own kids an grandchildren, hope they will think about haven a camp ground there.
Kenda

West Columbia, SC

#4 Sep 14, 2007
Follow this link for reservations:
http://www.lexsc.com/newparks.htm
Anne Fisher

Hillsboro, OR

#5 Mar 24, 2008
I have spent many summer afternoon with friends swimming at Gibson Pond - a lot of wonderful memories....
old soldier

Columbia, SC

#6 Oct 9, 2008
How is the fishing there?

Since: Jul 08

Columbia, SC

#7 Oct 9, 2008
You'll need a small boat or canoe to do any real fishing. I've tried from the bank and didn't have any luck.
cowboy

Wright, WY

#8 Jan 2, 2013
Following my first year of college, I spent a summer in Lexington.(1964) I had a room in the rooming house of Mrs Sol George. Her house served as a jail during the Civil War. I had breakfast (sausage, eggs over easy, grits, coffee) every morning at Rawl's Restaurant. Supper,too, most days. Too many evenings were spent at Gibson's Pond at the bar on the swimming pier refining my tast for the "Nectar of Gods," 3.2 variety. Two of the Rawl's waitresses (should that be waitressii?) were the Gable sisters, Betty and Bobbi and probably, just like me, are no longer teenagers. Are Betty and Bobbi still living? in Lexington? Children, grandchildren?
Janice Martin Preston

Potosi, MO

#9 Feb 22, 2014
My daddy use to take me to Gibson's Pond to swim in the late 50's . He knew Mr. and Mrs, Gibson. They were like family.
does anyone have any pictures of it from the 50's or 60's?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 min June VanDerMark 336,902
News New Prince album of unreleased music to be rele... 5 min Hostis Publicus 1
News Clinton: Free press is under 'open assault' in ... 13 min Hostis Publicus 33
News Moscow Ballet's 'Great Russian Nutcracker' retu... 1 hr dumptrump 1
Sexy Actor 5 hr Hand Solo 1
Best dating sites 2018 6 hr jose 1
News How Sean Hannity's Relationship With Michael Co... 13 hr OccupyThis 8