Change At The Morning Mike At WDRC-FM

Change At The Morning Mike At WDRC-FM

There are 158 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Dec 21, 2007, titled Change At The Morning Mike At WDRC-FM. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

What goes around does come around ... most recently for radio personality Jerry Kristafer .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Another Yankees Fan

Southington, CT

#22 Dec 26, 2007
Get rid of Marianne O'Hare. Who cares about her insipid life??? A radio station is supposed to play music. If we wanted more weather we would listen to the Weather Channel. If we want to hear interviews we'll listen to news radio--WTIC. Bring back John Saville and play some 1960s music--while you're at it, get rid of the God-awful 1980s music.
north haven listener

AOL

#23 Dec 27, 2007
well i have to say everyone has given their opinion and in most cases i have to agree with them. bring back someone from the past doesn't cut it. it's time to move forward instead of two steps backward. listen to what your loyal listeners want. otherwise pull the station off the air. i guess i will have to find another oldies station to listen to. marianne i love ya girl but you have to tone it down.
Long time DRC Listener

Northborough, MA

#24 Dec 27, 2007
I have listened to DRC since they used to play Stairway to Heaven every night at midnight. Mike Stevens is the best morning personality they have had in 20 years. I couoldn't take the Caddy Man and I won't listen to Kristofer. Get smart DRC management. Leave Mike on in the morning and give him a decent suporting cast. You already have a winner.
I disagree

AOL

#25 Dec 27, 2007
Long time DRC Listener wrote:
I have listened to DRC since they used to play Stairway to Heaven every night at midnight. Mike Stevens is the best morning personality they have had in 20 years. I couoldn't take the Caddy Man and I won't listen to Kristofer. Get smart DRC management. Leave Mike on in the morning and give him a decent suporting cast. You already have a winner.
I agree with you somewhat except Mike Stevens is not the answer. John Seville never really got to show much with Marianne Oh My Hair stepping all over him, calling him Johnny, etc. Kristafer is far from the answer. I cannot even imagine a morning show with him and Marianne. That's going to be like Kukla, Fran and Ollie, when you add Gina. Maybe they should consider bringing Dick McDonough back from 94.7 after they let him go too. Maybe Mike Holland? What the hell ever happened to Frank Holler? My Lord, thinking about it, these guys have come and gone by the wayside like one hit wonders. Mike Stevens may be a good guy but he's not three dimensional. I listen to him for 5 minutes and start yawning. I think the old 92.5 jock in the morning, Neil (can't think of his last name, would be a great fit with another female from another station. Say bye, bye to O'Hare and all that fluff.
Keep Mike

United States

#26 Dec 27, 2007
Well I disagree with you. I think Mike is the best morning guy. He doesn't babble on and on and he has a good rapport with whoever he works with. Lets Keep Mike Stevens!!!
Long time DRC Listener

Plymouth, MA

#27 Dec 28, 2007
Neil Hedley was the morning guy on 92.5. He was pretty good because he had a good singing voice and he did some good song parodys. I don't believe the management at DRC would give him the freedom he needed to be entertaining there. I don't think the issue at DRC is who the morning jock is. I think it is the entire format. Now that they are thinking of going half talk and half music in the morning it will be even worse. As far as Mike Stevens is concerned, I like him because he says enough to keep me informed and interested but he primarily plays music. He never says anything completely stupid or anoying and he makes me chuckle now and then. If I wanted to hear talk in the morning, I would listen to Imus or Stern. I will continue to listen to DRC in the morning as long as Mike is on the air. As soon as Kristofer comes on they will lose this listener. Here is a suggestion. Fire Dave Nagle the program director. That is where the problem originates.
Big D or Big Dud

AOL

#28 Dec 28, 2007
Long time DRC Listener wrote:
Neil Hedley was the morning guy on 92.5. He was pretty good because he had a good singing voice and he did some good song parodys. I don't believe the management at DRC would give him the freedom he needed to be entertaining there. I don't think the issue at DRC is who the morning jock is. I think it is the entire format. Now that they are thinking of going half talk and half music in the morning it will be even worse. As far as Mike Stevens is concerned, I like him because he says enough to keep me informed and interested but he primarily plays music. He never says anything completely stupid or anoying and he makes me chuckle now and then. If I wanted to hear talk in the morning, I would listen to Imus or Stern. I will continue to listen to DRC in the morning as long as Mike is on the air. As soon as Kristofer comes on they will lose this listener. Here is a suggestion. Fire Dave Nagle the program director. That is where the problem originates.
Amen. Good point.
The days of Charlie Parker are long gone but never forgotten. I'm sure with all this false bravado in the programming at Big D, he must be rolling around in his grave just shaking his head.
I will never be a big fan of Mike Stevens. He's just a bit dull for me and talks too much about food when he does talk. As far as the format at DRC. They need to go back to basics and bring music from the 50s and 60s, get rid of Marianne and have one jock in the morning, not Jerry Kristafer.
Larry the Cable Guy

East Hampton, CT

#30 Dec 28, 2007
Pug wrote:
TESTICAL RADIO IS SOOO OVER WITH. GARY CRAIG IS AN OLD MAN AND NOTHING MORE THAN A JOKE. HOW CAN ANYONE LISTEN TO THIS CRAP? SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST WITH HOWARD STERN AND ALL THEIR CHOICES OF MUSIC....WHY HAVE'NT MORE OF YOU MORONS AWAKENED? I URGE YOU TO GET SIRIUS--I CAN NO LONGER LISTEN TO TESTICAL RADIO. AND WHO GIVES A CRAP ABPUT JEERY KRISTOPHER-HE BLOWS!
Guess you know from experience what jerry does don'tcha
Bow Tie

Madison, CT

#32 Dec 28, 2007
I guess the only connection YOU have to testicals .... is the radio .... GROW A PAIR LOSER

Since: Jul 07

Rogersville, TN

#33 Dec 28, 2007
I listened to WDRC back in the 70's. I also listened to Bob and Tom in the morning. I like them better. Too bad you don't have them anymore
fred

Farmington, CT

#37 Dec 31, 2007
What happpened to John Saville's wife?
Big D Long Time Listener

AOL

#38 Dec 31, 2007
fred wrote:
What happpened to John Saville's wife?
She died a while back. Maybe 3 or 4 months ago.
Sumodo

Gainesville, FL

#39 Jan 2, 2008
Oh, please, don't cut out Marianne O'Hare's heart to give to Beth Bradley! It hurt to read that, but then, I laughed like a braying jackass. Afterwards, I felt ashamed.(Beth and Marianne-- you shouldn't be reading this!) It felt like when I found out the cardiologist who operated on Daddy was formerly my prep school's BIGGEST DRUGGIE! All of us 1ate 1970s radio guys and gals know each other. Marianne can handle Jerry. Listeners, you make the call, and Arbitron determines who takes the fall.
Happy in

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

#40 Jan 3, 2008
To the station manager at WDRC...Thanks for making the change regarding John Saville. He is pompous, unable to think through the serious positions he likes to pontificate on, and clearly envious of anyone who has a dollar more than he has. I'm glad he's gone, and I hope the new guy is better. My wife and I enjoy listening to Mike; he brings the light, chipper attitude to the show that I think you are aiming at. Though Marianne doesn't seem to have any chemistry with him, maybe she could lighten up a little and go with the flow. Think positive, MOH, and do some research on issues that can be presented with a comedic slant. Entertainment personalities do not have to be taken so seriously...God knows! Happy New Year! Thinking good thoughts for Beth in 2008!!
Sumodo

Gainesville, FL

#41 Jan 3, 2008
To "Happy in Watertown," you are right! Keep thinking good thoughts for Beth in 2008. Now, THERE is a fine woman and dedicated broadcaster. I pray for her every day. There are a group of broadcasters from Hartford who look out for each other, and I used to sub for Beth when she couldn't be on the air with John and I have great respect for them both. My career led me elsewhere (Washington, Philly, Tampa) but my "heart" is in Hartford radio. John Saville is a very close friend. What people don't know about him is his dedication to the audience, and his ratings downfall is due to: 1) Lack of radio station promotion. 2) Management. 3) A very, very hard year with Beth getting sick and losing his wife. AND 4)Competition in an "over-radioed market." When John is focused and has a side-kick who is as dedicated to the listeners and music as he is, he is compelling on the air. It's a management and ratings thing. John will be fine. Remember, good management and good talent equals good radio. And if the BIG D isn't for you anymore, check out Gary Craig and John Elliot. And tell them "Sue Morris sent ya."
Like it or Not

AOL

#42 Jan 3, 2008
John Saville was a hard working jock that has been around the Hartford Area for sometime I believe. If my memory serves me correctly, he was with country 92.5 also. I think what hurt John more than his own ability, was his over all show. Marianne O'Hare hurt his ratings immensely. She's the know-all, see-all, hear-all in radio. He never really had a chance to get through a sentence without being stepped on. If he was pompous and unable to think, it didn't show through to the listeners. Obviously, whomever wrote that thread, knew more of the internal functions than we the listeners. DRC has never been a big station in ratings and since their format changed, nobody I know wants to listen. It can only get worst with an all talk radio format, featuring none other, than the has-been Jerry Kristafer. It truly is unfortunate that we can't give Beth a new heart and bring back Charlie Parker to straighten out the station's problems, but seriously, an all talk format is NOT what we want. If we wanted an all talk format, we would just go to TIC-AM 1080 and listen to that non stop chatter. Give us a format of good oldies from the 50's and 60's, with some 70s. Play a good mix of music and leave the sidekicks doing the news and traffic. Since the sidekics have joined the radio morning shows, it's a free for all of step on me. Take a phone call every now and then from a listener and listen to them. I don't believe I've ever heard Marianne actually listen to a listener. Her personality does not allow it. She has to do everyone one better. Further, you are not going to have listeners unless you give things away in contests and promotions. I cannot remember the last time DRC gave anything away that caught the majority of listeners. Like the jocks at DRC, the management doesn't listen. When they start listening and open their check books, the listeners will flock back to DRC. Finally, how political and discriminatory it is that John Saville was let go but Marianne stays. The biggest no fair deal of them all. The above thread uses the word "PONTIFICATE." That sounds like something Marianne would use. Did she co-author that thread?
KB - Cheshire

United States

#44 Jan 4, 2008
Not surprised that I am NOT the only one disgusted with the morning radio offerings. The "country" station is the worst of all - non stop self-centered yakkers and almost non-stop early 90's corporate Nashville. DRC was my last hope - but who wants to wake up OR drive with the mouth of Glastonbury. My solution will continue to be traffic on AM radio and all the IPOD music I can load up on this weekend. I'm done. I don't want to listen to ANY of you yap.
JBL

North Kingstown, RI

#45 Jan 4, 2008
The show started its trainwreck when Mike Stevens left and crashed when Beth became ill. I could tolerate John with Beth, but when Marianne came along I came close to losing breakfast after listening for 5 minutes. She needs to go. As for the 50% talk, 50% music.....I won't be a listener after this week. I'll switch to Dan and Kim on Mix931 out of Springfield permanently.
Bonehead Moves

United States

#49 Jan 4, 2008
I agree with JBL. Mike and Beth were the best. They should have never let him go. When he came back the station started to regain what was lost but he really should stay on in the Morning. I really not think Jerry is the answer.
goodbye morning radio

Hamden, CT

#51 Jan 6, 2008
Morning drive time radio has so deteriorated over the years - it is mostly annoying DJs doing their latest stuoid stunts (shock collar trivia anyone??!!) or conservative a**es such as the idiot loudmouth Jerry Kristafer coming over from WELI. I enjoyed DRC in the morning becuase I did not need to listen to another idiot telling me what to think or playing some annoying, insulting supposedly funny bit basically for the hundredth time - just give me some decent music, weather traffic etc.- is that so hard? DRC seemed like the last refuge - so it is either satellite, CD's or NPR from now on for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump's Newest Ad Is So Frickin' WeirdBy Olivia... 13 min Responsibility 32
News Clooney's restraining order 1 hr Here is what I 25
News Clinton says there is 'Hillary standard' for he... 3 hr spud 2
News 'Bachelorette' Emily Maynard and Jef Holm break up (Oct '12) 5 hr Aladdin 106
News Mariah leaves bra at home 7 hr Kelly - DJ 2
News Fear of Islam, immigrants and diversity are lea... 7 hr ANATITAN1 9
News Sources: KTVK drops 'Good Morning Arizona' pers... (Mar '09) 9 hr Augie 919
More from around the web