Action, adventure and atheism? 'Compass' meets some opposition

Dec 9, 2007 Full story: www.signonsandiego.com 1,298

“The Golden Compass” is sending Christians in opposite directions.

The PG-13 fantasy movie, with its armored polar bears and flying witches to the rescue, opened last night under a banner of controversy fueled mainly by conservative Christians who are urging followers to boycott the film.

Full Story
First Prev
of 65
Next Last

Since: Jul 07

Orlando

#1309 May 4, 2008
Gods warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, religion is worthless.
When you have a bunch of people thinking that they will live in a magic land after they die as long as they follow someone's interpretation of an old book it is quite easy to control them. Other than that, I would agree religion is worthless...

“I'm a Believer”

Since: Dec 07

Seattle, Washington

#1310 May 28, 2008
Gods warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't leave! I was just starting to like you!
Maybe you could tell me where the people of Nod came from?
Did Cain really have sex with his sister?
Actually, your mother can probably answer those questions for you, it sounds like she did not train you up, in the way you should go, what God are you the warrior of, it must be the Nod God!!!

“I'm a Believer”

Seattle, Washington

#1311 May 28, 2008
Orlando_Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
When you have a bunch of people thinking that they will live in a magic land after they die as long as they follow someone's interpretation of an old book it is quite easy to control them. Other than that, I would agree religion is worthless...
And you never have to worry about going to that magic land, although when you die and your body rots in the earth and your spirit realizes that it does not die, you may want to rethink the whole magic land thing!!! OH SORRY< it will be too late by than!!!

Orlando

#1312 May 28, 2008
Truth In Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
And you never have to worry about going to that magic land, although when you die and your body rots in the earth and your spirit realizes that it does not die, you may want to rethink the whole magic land thing!!! OH SORRY< it will be too late by than!!!
Do you have any proof of your claims or is it just something you read in a book?

“"Someone's at the door"”

Since: Nov 07

Anywhere , USA

#1313 May 29, 2008
I don't see what the nonsense over this movie is all about! I saw the movie a few times, it is a nice "fantasy" movie just like The Chronicles of Narnia. Whatever happened to people's sense of adventure? Have you all turned into synical old farts?
live_life

Berlin, Germany

#1314 May 29, 2008
Someone mentioned here something about an oppresive religion in the film... It'd say it relates to the present world and religious issues as well...

http://www.thefaithdebate.com

“I'm a Believer”

Seattle, Washington

#1316 Jun 5, 2008
Orlando_Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any proof of your claims or is it just something you read in a book?
The crazy thing about Faith is believing when your mind tells you different, I dont need proof. I dont have proof that the air is there except that I can breath, but I cannot see it.

“I'm a Believer”

Seattle, Washington

#1317 Jun 5, 2008
The_Enlightener wrote:
I don't see what the nonsense over this movie is all about! I saw the movie a few times, it is a nice "fantasy" movie just like The Chronicles of Narnia. Whatever happened to people's sense of adventure? Have you all turned into synical old farts?
I agree, we still need to have a sense of adventure, however we have to be careful with our children, because they cannot seperate fantasy from reality. These days children are treated more like adults, and they are given choices and responsibilities, that they are not ready for and than we want to blame society for our childrens downfalls, WRONG, it is the parents responsibility to raise their own children. Monitor what your children are watching, and pay attention to what they say. Dont buy them a cell phone before they can pay for it, dont give them internet for any reason, dont buy electronic games for your children, buy toys where they use their imagination for play. Dont be afraid to be parents.

Orlando

#1318 Jun 5, 2008
Truth In Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
The crazy thing about Faith is believing when your mind tells you different, I dont need proof. I dont have proof that the air is there except that I can breath, but I cannot see it.
We can measure the gases that constitute air.
We can prove air exists.
People used to think hell was underneath the surface of earth and heaven was in the sky. That was until we had the tools to look at both places and didn't find them.

Anywhere , USA

#1319 Jun 7, 2008
Truth In Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, we still need to have a sense of adventure, however we have to be careful with our children, because they cannot seperate fantasy from reality. These days children are treated more like adults, and they are given choices and responsibilities, that they are not ready for and than we want to blame society for our childrens downfalls, WRONG, it is the parents responsibility to raise their own children. Monitor what your children are watching, and pay attention to what they say. Dont buy them a cell phone before they can pay for it, dont give them internet for any reason, dont buy electronic games for your children, buy toys where they use their imagination for play. Dont be afraid to be parents.
Take away the "Internet"? Are you kidding? Or did you not get the memo that eventually EVERYTHING you need to do in daily life will be online. I.E. shopping, mail (that's right people, paper mail is being done away with, it will all be done via internet in the very near future). There will no longer be the need to wait for your regular mail to be delivered. The programs for these functions have been being created and worked on for the past seven years.
Your responisibility as a parent is to watch(monitor) what sites your kid goes on online. Not to take your kid back to the stone age and remove the internet completely! I do however agree with the whole , "no cell phone until they can pay for their own minutes". My kids did not get a cell phone until they had their first jobs. This way they could pay for and piss away their own minutes. And yes, some parts of your "society has made these kids mature faster" is right. Some things in society have made the kids grow up faster than when we were kids, HOWEVER, the world is changing at such a fast clip that if you aren't running with the pack you get left behind. Just like college educations are more important than ever today for your child unless you want them working in a menial laborer job the rest of their lives.

The Golden Compass was not really directed towards little kids. The movie was actually directed towards us big kids! The religious fanatics missed this memo I guess!

Orlando

#1320 Jun 7, 2008
The_Enlightener wrote:
<quoted text>
Take away the "Internet"? Are you kidding?
The free access to information threatens the delicate house of cards evangelicals set up to indoctrinate their kids. They would not be sad at all to see the internet gone forever. Of course that will never happen.

Anywhere , USA

#1321 Jun 9, 2008
Orlando_Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
The free access to information threatens the delicate house of cards evangelicals set up to indoctrinate their kids. They would not be sad at all to see the internet gone forever. Of course that will never happen.
I guess for those that don't or won't realize that they are in for a hell of a surprise in their futures.

“Courage, love and truth”

Since: Feb 07

Atlanta, Georgia

#1322 Jun 13, 2008
If your subjective religious beliefs can not stand up to criticism it was not worth the effort to keep it.

Since: May 07

<<<<--the right to bare

#1323 Jun 16, 2008
I finally saw this movie on PPV today, well worth the $4.99. My child really enjoyed it and I couldn't help but laugh at all the crazy characters who were in this thread. LMAO

Boycott, HAHAAHhahahahAHAHAHAHAh, based solely on the fact an atheist wrote it. Good job christians.

<<<<--the right to bare

#1324 Jun 16, 2008
Truth In Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, your mother can probably answer those questions for you, it sounds like she did not train you up, in the way you should go, what God are you the warrior of, it must be the Nod God!!!
How about you answer the question instead of posting nonsense?

“I'm a Believer”

Seattle, Washington

#1325 Jul 18, 2008
Gods warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you answer the question instead of posting nonsense?
the quote about NOD god and did cain sleep with his sister? those were intelligent questions. Seriously, What god's warrior are you, it is not the God that made Man or Heaven and Earth, there really is no reason to discuss why the movie is not good for kids, because you clearly are not serving the same God that I am serving, so in that respect, you will not see the spiritual content of the movie, only the entertainment side, which was the whole point of the Atheist writer, but children clearly see things different than we (adults) do and there are mixed messages in the movies these days.

<<<<--the right to bare

#1326 Jul 18, 2008
Truth In Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
the quote about NOD god and did cain sleep with his sister? those were intelligent questions. Seriously, What god's warrior are you, it is not the God that made Man or Heaven and Earth, there really is no reason to discuss why the movie is not good for kids, because you clearly are not serving the same God that I am serving, so in that respect, you will not see the spiritual content of the movie, only the entertainment side, which was the whole point of the Atheist writer, but children clearly see things different than we (adults) do and there are mixed messages in the movies these days.
My nickname came from some buddies in the army as a play on my lack of belief.

Now that I have answered your question perhaps you can answer mine? How did two people populate the earth without incest?

<<<<--the right to bare

#1327 Jul 18, 2008
Truth In Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean brainwash me and fill my head with nonsense like you?

BTW: Isn't the nod god also your god?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 65
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 15 min ChickBrilliance 308,034
James Safechuck Claims Michael Jackson Kept Him... (May '14) 18 min goodvibrations 544
Contrite Justin Bieber tells fans he's not the ... 3 hr sure 1
In Cuba, Maps Make a Comeback 5 hr Doc Proper 7
Catholic Charities refuses to place children wi... (Jun '11) 7 hr NeingOtt 1,395
Kerry Butler to join 'Clinton: The Musical' off... 7 hr Duh Michael DUH 2
Michael Moore tweets snipers are 'cowards' 7 hr eyeful 25
'Taylor Swift arrested on charges of stalking e... (Dec '08) 12 hr happy112 75
More from around the web