Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 315294 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

grumpy

East Northport, NY

#264177 Oct 16, 2012
Tondaleyo wrote:
<quoted text> The price of food won't be falling because of Obama. We have to pay more taxes so he can give out more food stamps because he is going to add more tax on the people who own businesses which will make the employer not able to pay his employees. And that corn thing? You know the fungus? That problem will make your groceries cost a whole lot more.
You must have just emigrated from the South Seas and I doubt that you are as sexy as you were as a young girl.. But you need more education.
Food Stamps are TRADED at the store for food. It's the store owner who winds up with the money. In poor neighborhoods "No food stamps" means "No business" for store owners.
Romney concern for small business doesn't include small store owners.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#264178 Oct 16, 2012
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
My perspective is some posters seem to want the courts to determine medical issues. Especially regarding women's reproductive rights. They usually deny it, but it's still apparent by their posts. jmo
Let's petition the courts to sterilize all women that are beyond childbearing years because they can't reproduce and watch em come crawling out of the woodwork declaring an infringement on their right to a non-reproductive life.

“Atheist and Skeptic”

Since: Mar 11

Kuiper Belt

#264179 Oct 16, 2012
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
It really seems like the two sides speak different languages since no common vocabulary as been agreed upon.
A moment ago, I deleted a response to you regarding *Triple L's claim it seemed like gestational age was the measurement [for viability]. In a link provided today, it states weight is the measurement physicians use for assessing viability. Dropped from 600 grams to 500 grams (iirc), this weight usually corresponds with the gestational age about 22-24 weeks. It's a distinction important to physicians, like proper terminology, so it's important to me. But I'm wondering if it would become a war of words rather than an interesting factor in determining viability.
*Triple L is the name I've given her to encompass her prior SNs with her current SN.
I didn't know they used weight for assessing viability. I actually thought it was mostly lung functioning capability. It does make sense that there would be more than one criteria.

“Atheist and Skeptic”

Kuiper Belt

#264180 Oct 16, 2012
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
But...but...but Pluto, Lynne NEVER EVER EVER misconstrues ANYTHING because her comprehension is SO far above everyone elses!!! And dont you know that EVERYONE that dares speak up to Lynniekins or says anything she doesn't approve of, they're a liar. Doesn't matter WHAT the subject is - you know, water isn't really wet LIAR! LOLOLOL!
<<<<tongue FIRMLY in cheek>>>>
When did Lily morph into such a pompous ass? She's become a real boor!

“Atheist and Skeptic”

Kuiper Belt

#264181 Oct 16, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
I think as she ages she deteriorates and becomes more and more of a bitter old crone.
She really comes off like she thinks she's so superior to everybody else. She's a legend in her own mind.

“Make time ”

Since: Sep 09

for contemplation

#264182 Oct 16, 2012
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFLMAO Frighteningly, this actually makes sense and is dead on!
Foo! Off topic. Finished "My Sister's Keeper" and "The Horse Whisperer". Both bittersweet reads. What else do you recommend? You have now become my "go to" person for reading recommendations.

In other news on this thread - viability is still being debated and Obama is heckbent on making silver spooners pay their due in taxes. Romney, in the mean time has built his platform on ... okay, what exactly are his plans? IDK.

“Atheist and Skeptic”

Kuiper Belt

#264183 Oct 16, 2012
lil Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
Much more than once in awhile. It's been done at every Catholic funeral I've been too, and I've been to more than just a few.
I'm going to go by MY experiences, not yours. I came from a Catholic family. And I have also been to plenty of Catholic funerals.

“...sigh”

Since: Nov 09

Smithtown, NY

#264184 Oct 16, 2012
AyakaNeo wrote:
<quoted text>Let's petition the courts to sterilize all women that are beyond childbearing years because they can't reproduce and watch em come crawling out of the woodwork declaring an infringement on their right to a non-reproductive life.
Better yet, let's push for legislation that states that MEN can only have sex for procreation purposes, and it MUST be within the confines of a marriage.

This is *precisely* what the religious right is pushing for so, by golly, let's enforce it.

No more mistresses, hookers, male prostitutes for these old boys. Limit them to sex to create children, then lop em off.

Think they'll go for it?

lol

“Atheist and Skeptic”

Kuiper Belt

#264185 Oct 16, 2012
_Bad Axe wrote:
<quoted text>The legal definition of "viable" as it stands now is Roe v Wade's, and it did include references to medical definitions, which included "albeit by artificial aide". What is relivent in changing that would be challenges to it findings on such grounds to over turn that part, but until that part is successfully challenged than it is what matter in abortion law. Roe v Wade erred on the side of caution and set "viability" at the earliest known possibility for the time,(1973), which was 24 weeks at that time. It didn't set a rigid time in the pregnancy for viability, it was about ensuring that any possible "viable" fetus could be protected by a State if it wished to do so.
For the law yes, there has to be some defined guideline. But every situation will still be different. Babies will still live or die when born prematurely at different times. The babies themselves don't go by what's in RvW.

“...sigh”

Since: Nov 09

Smithtown, NY

#264186 Oct 16, 2012
Pluto is a planet wrote:
<quoted text>
She really comes off like she thinks she's so superior to everybody else. She's a legend in her own mind.
NPD. I guarantee she suffers from NPD.

Sadly,*we* suffer from it, as well!

“Atheist and Skeptic”

Kuiper Belt

#264187 Oct 16, 2012
lil Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
You were implying I was speaking as though I see myself as an expert on it, and that wasn't true. Backpedal from that implication now.
I know what I know. Deal with it.
And I know what I know, so YOU can just deal with THAT.

You called me a liar and stated that I said you claimed to be an expert, which I did not say at all.

That proves to me that you're not so good at comprehending what read.

Lily:
"I havent claimed to be an "expert" on Catholicism, liar."

Pluto:
I didn't even say that you "claimed" to be an expert. I said Lily "seems" to be an expert."

“Atheist and Skeptic”

Kuiper Belt

#264188 Oct 16, 2012
lil Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
You were implying I was speaking as though I see myself as an expert on it, and that wasn't true. Backpedal from that implication now.
I know what I know. Deal with it.
"You were implying I was speaking as though I see myself as an expert on it"

"I know what I know. Deal with it."

Looks to me like you do see yourself as an expert Miss Know-it-all. I don't see you as knowing any more than anyone else on this matter. We ALL have our own personal experiences to draw on and your experience isn't any more accurate or correct than mine or anyone else's no matter what you may want to think.

I'm going to go by what *I* know. I don't give a chit what YOU say you know.

“Atheist and Skeptic”

Kuiper Belt

#264189 Oct 16, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
NPD. I guarantee she suffers from NPD.
Sadly,*we* suffer from it, as well!
Eff her and her swollen barrage balloon head. LOL!!
Katie

Lakewood, WA

#264190 Oct 16, 2012
AyakaNeo wrote:
<quoted text>Let's petition the courts to sterilize all women that are beyond childbearing years because they can't reproduce and watch em come crawling out of the woodwork declaring an infringement on their right to a non-reproductive life.
Good point, Ayaka.
Katie

Lakewood, WA

#264191 Oct 16, 2012
Pluto is a planet wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't know they used weight for assessing viability. I actually thought it was mostly lung functioning capability. It does make sense that there would be more than one criteria.
Yes it does make sense and it's fascinating, imo.
It's good to see you back to posting, Pluto.

Location hidden

#264192 Oct 16, 2012
LadiLulu wrote:
<quoted text>
Better yet, let's push for legislation that states that MEN can only have sex for procreation purposes, and it MUST be within the confines of a marriage.
This is *precisely* what the religious right is pushing for so, by golly, let's enforce it.
No more mistresses, hookers, male prostitutes for these old boys. Limit them to sex to create children, then lop em off.
Think they'll go for it?
lol
Oh boy, what will the televangelist ever do?

Location hidden

#264193 Oct 16, 2012
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
If I remember correctly, might have been Pennsylvania, could have been Missouri tried to pass an Act requiring testing for viability before an abortion could be done in the 20th week or beyond. The SC ruled it unconstitutional. Measuring weight and size by ultrasound or "guessing" the gestational age according to the last menstrual cycle is not reliable because it's going to vary from woman to woman. Amnio is the only test I know of that can measure lung function and you just can't go sticking big needles in a woman's belly to find out without their consent. Besides, amnio is dangerous to the woman.

“Atheist and Skeptic”

Kuiper Belt

#264194 Oct 16, 2012
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#264195 Oct 16, 2012
AyakaNeo wrote:
<quoted text>Oh boy, what will the televangelist ever do?
What will the priests do?

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#264196 Oct 16, 2012
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
My perspective is some posters seem to want the courts to determine medical issues. Especially regarding women's reproductive rights. They usually deny it, but it's still apparent by their posts. jmo
And then there's the posters that think there religious leaders should determine medical issues, even for peoples not associated with their organization. No, thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charlize Theron admits to taking 'a dip in the ... 1 hr Abrahamanic Relig... 19
News The weird 'crimes' you did not know you were co... 1 hr Mona 1
News Country singer Scotty McCreery cited for 2 hr Been There Done That 4
News World Naked Bike Ride announces 2017 starting l... 3 hr Rev Lazarus Paul 5
News Burke Ramsey Sues Forensic Pathologist for $150... (Oct '16) 6 hr Tex- 10
News Documentary explores drag scene in city of the ... 13 hr snowpale 2
News How JonBenet Ramsey's Murder Changed Pop Cultur... 16 hr Tex- 1
More from around the web