FCC considers making 'product integration' clearer

Jun 27, 2008 Full story: www.nbc12.com 96

When you see a TV character reach for an Oreo cookie -- would you like to know if Nabisco paid for that to happen?

The Federal Communications Commission thinks it might be a good idea to tell viewers when they're watching a commercial hidden inside the plot of their favorite TV program.

Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#1 Jun 27, 2008
More insane laws. Oil is 140 dollars a barrel and this is the kind of crap they come up with? Idiots.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2 Jun 27, 2008
This is a great idea. Parents and viewers should know when product placement is being bought by somebody trying to peddle merchandise.

There's nothing wrong with selling or marketing, and product placement is OK. I just want to know when it's happening. I might think twice if the kid is watching some mindless cr@p that has subliminal advertising as its only redeeming purpose.
Proud American

Gilbertsville, PA

#3 Jun 27, 2008
isn't all product placement advertising? c'mon people this isn't rocket science.

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#4 Jun 27, 2008
strut2k wrote:
This is a great idea. Parents and viewers should know when product placement is being bought by somebody trying to peddle merchandise.
There's nothing wrong with selling or marketing, and product placement is OK. I just want to know when it's happening. I might think twice if the kid is watching some mindless cr@p that has subliminal advertising as its only redeeming purpose.
Kinda like when Obama put up that fake presidential seal. Trying to make an empty suit look like he has some gravitas.
Buffalo Billy

Buffalo, NY

#5 Jun 27, 2008
Oh, who the f*ck cares? If I want an Oreo cookie, I'm capable of thinking that and buying it for myself. If I don't want one, 1000000000 hours of Orea product placement isn't going to get me to buy one. Is our nation really made up of brainless drones? Do we really NEED this much protection?

Jeebus Keyrist. Isn't there more important things for the FCC to be doing??

“Fredneck County Md”

Since: Feb 08

Small Town

#6 Jun 27, 2008
Buffalo Billy wrote:
Oh, who the f*ck cares? If I want an Oreo cookie, I'm capable of thinking that and buying it for myself. If I don't want one, 1000000000 hours of Orea product placement isn't going to get me to buy one. Is our nation really made up of brainless drones? Do we really NEED this much protection?
Jeebus Keyrist. Isn't there more important things for the FCC to be doing??
No, our nation is not really made up of brainless drones, our government is.

“Zero Tolerance”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#8 Jun 27, 2008
strut2k wrote:
You're kidding, right? You're going to ask the Government to make a LAW requiring filmmakers to do our THINKING for us? And who's to say it's accurate? Can you imagine all the time, money and resources wasted to ensure compliance with this?

Here's a clue - if you see it on a TV show or a movie, you can bet the copyright holder of that image was probably compensated. The more prominent the featured product, the higher the payment.

Instead of relying on some Federal Agency, try teaching your kids how to think critically. A cop-out regulation like this is just mental laziness on the part of consumers.

Since: Jun 07

Copiague, NY

#9 Jun 27, 2008
strut2k wrote:
Yeah, god forbid my kid ate an oreo because he saw it on TV. What if it wasn't paid for. Does that make it better? We're not talking condoms here.
The FCC should worry about why a merger between two satellite companies has taken almost a year and a half, not whether I know if an oreo appearance was paid for.
mommalittle dot com

Vici, OK

#10 Jun 27, 2008
On one hand, it's not a bad idea. But then on the other, with DVRs enabling half the Americans to fast forward through commercials, corporations have to advertise somewhere. And since they own the politicians in the first place, I doubt this bill will live.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#11 Jun 27, 2008
strut2k wrote:
I could just see an advertiser warning like this:

"Attention, the kiss in the following movie was paid for by your local gay and lesbian community..."
Rob

Louisville, KY

#12 Jun 27, 2008
MSO4 wrote:
More insane laws. Oil is 140 dollars a barrel and this is the kind of crap they come up with? Idiots.
What he said
Rob

Louisville, KY

#13 Jun 27, 2008
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
"Attention, the kiss in the following movie was paid for by your local gay and lesbian community..."
Ah and the f ag lover speaks her homo loving filthy thoughts. Why don't you go and play with your rainbow flag in the expressway or something.
DDT

Ocean Park, ME

#14 Jun 27, 2008
.....Hey! Who took a bite out of my OREO???

Location hidden

#15 Jun 27, 2008
Bill1154 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, god forbid my kid ate an oreo because he saw it on TV. What if it wasn't paid for. Does that make it better? We're not talking condoms here.
The FCC should worry about why a merger between two satellite companies has taken almost a year and a half, not whether I know if an oreo appearance was paid for.
Funny you said condoms. You used the magic word. I thought Mobius was the only poster worth responding to on this board. I then saw your post, and while I think Mobius expressed his point best, you were good, and you used the magic word.

Let's suppose your kid is a 13 year old daughter. She and her friends are at the house next fall, watching the new 90210. The Trojan Condom Company pays to place the product with the guys in the locker room.

The male series lead tells his meathead friend, "If you're gonna bang Naomi tonight, do the right thing. Use this." He hand him a Trojan.

Far fetched? Not at all. Do I want my 13 year old kid to watch that? No! Do I trust the CW Network? Less than I trust my dog to leave a steak alone on an unattended counter.

I don't care how many Oreos the Cookie Monster wolfs down on Sesame Street. But every so often I do care about product placement. And so I want to be able to go to a website and know who paid to get their stuff into the episode, and how it was done.

And I bet when you think about it, you see the wisdom of having that option as well.

Location hidden

#16 Jun 27, 2008
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly. Since when was a kiss a product?

Come to think of it, what do you do for a living?:)
dth

Winchester, KY

#17 Jun 27, 2008
We are inundated with trivial, mindless babble about such things as advertisements while major issues are glossed over. IE, a media that ignores things like Murdock buying up so many major media outlets. We Americans had better get our heads out of the sand and get mad.
ur so teh gehy

Dayton, OH

#18 Jun 27, 2008
This is an awesome idea. I am tired of being treated like nothing more than an marketing node. Ads are everywhere... in our mail, our e-mail, our internet browser via banner ads and pop-ups, in our tv shows. It's as if commercial breaks aren't bad enough. Plus, it teaches those pesky companies to stop treating us as consumers rather than people who enjoy entertainment.

If anything, I look at this as a stick-it-to-the-man where ad campaigns are concerned.

“The arts will lead us.”

Since: Nov 07

Fairfield Idaho USA Cannonball

#19 Jun 27, 2008
Bill1154 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who pays for putting those satellites into space? Who pays for the satellites?

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#20 Jun 27, 2008
Sell, sell, sell, anything else is marxism.
Reverend James Alton

West Palm Beach, FL

#21 Jun 27, 2008
Stop watching TV if you dislike how they advertise. Very simple solution without more BS federal involvement.

Will this government ever stop trying to grow?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sadness 46 min Gleee 2
Jim Bob Duggar Says Petition To Cancel '19 Kids... 55 min Gremlin 3
Faith and mike chat room 1 hr faith short 264
Why Japan has bet its revival on humanoid robots 2 hr Ainu 17
"American Horror Story: Freak Show," "Arrow" an... 3 hr flandersart 3
Pat Robertson: Televangelist claims gays will '... 4 hr Gremlin 23
Will the Supreme Court End Gay Marriage as an E... 4 hr The Troll Stopper 435
More from around the web