Clipper Windpower
Cat Lover in Cedar Rapids

Decorah, IA

#241 May 4, 2010
I see on the news the slippery mess in the gulf
from one of BPs oil well,wonder how many clipper
made gear boxes are leaking oil that BP bought I would think all of them,more quality clipper products at work,or maybe just the ones built on a monday or a friday.

Since: Nov 09

Mount Vernon Ohio

#242 May 14, 2010
Clipper is advertising an opening for "Senior Mechanical Engineer, Drivetrain". Too bad they didn't do that several years ago. But United Technologies is running the company now. They know that the Clipper Liberty gearbox is a failure.
Jud

Cedar Rapids, IA

#243 May 14, 2010
BP pulled all of there current orders and put them on the shelf. The oil spill will run well into the billions and there will be no further investment in wind power for 2010 and most likely 2011. UT will have to further invest an take over clipper from 49% to at least 51% or better and become the company. They will need to incorporate a whole new gear box design in order to avoid a massive investment loss and restructure the entire management infrastructure at the plant and in the corporate environment to succeed something the previous investors did not accomplish and experienced massive loss on there investment, thus the reason they keep passing the buck to another schmuck!!!

Decorah, IA

#244 May 15, 2010
First let me say Moshulu and Jud glade to see you
both posting again been awhile,the job opening
Moshulu talked about the words out on clipper thats
the reason I would think people with those skills
would seek employment elswhere,look at clippers
track record and how they treat their emlpoyees.
Did you watch the stimulus snapshot energy video
featuring the plante manager what a hoax.
The Real Truth

Decatur, TX

#245 May 18, 2010
A fellow worker told me about this site and I had to take a look for myself. I have worked for Clipper since the begining, both in the plant and in the field. Liberty has def. seen it's fair share of challenges over the years. But the bottom line is that the machine is proving itself everyday it operates. There has been an evolution in production, construction, and commissioning. The wind industry in general faces a number of challenges, but everday we are working to get closer to overcoming these. I have spent a great deal of time in the field and I have seen Liberty perform at a very high level. The early issues are being addressed and the fixes are working. High speeds are no longer an issue thanks to an update that has been successfully applied. No longer do the gearboxes leak oil. Clippers mean time between faults is now right on par with industry averages, as well as the time-to-peak production. Clipper is like many other companies and will have to grind out the short term due to poor global economic conditions. The quality of the product is there and the performance is also there. Clipper is going to be around for the forseeable future and serve to push wind turbine innovation further along. The new relationship with UTC will only serve to support this. Time will truly tell the tale. Regardless if it's Clipper plc, or Clipper -a division of UTC... makes no difference. The liberty concept will endure, and serve as a benchmark for future turbine design. I know this post will be torn to shreds... makes no difference to me. I survived the layoff and clipper will survive the turbulent economy. I just thought a bit of insight from the front lines might be refreshing for this forum. I could be wrong... but then again I still draw a paycheck from Clipper. lol
Jud

Cedar Rapids, IA

#246 May 18, 2010
Unfortunately the lies continue! Clipper stock is at $1.10 heading south on a steady basis. The company finacials are public and reflecting a whole lot of red ink. The wind industry as a whole considers the liberty turbine and clipper to be an industry embarrasament! Clipper merely patchs the oil leaks and concels the issues that have plagued them from the onset, that being a design that will continue to fail. Basically imposible to maintain timing on the gears,to many gears and to much vibration, which will also continue to cause oil and hydraulic fluid leaks, all clipper does is patch work and blow smoke up the publics ass. If the product was as good as you state and issues actually corrected the stocks would be on the rise and the efficiency of the unit duly noted throughout the wind industry! Nope truth is you are just blowing the same smoke up the publics ass as your employer. Your checks are good for now so hang in there skippy and keep swallowing the mother load, you are a clipper bitch all the way! Alawys said folks like you didn't get there round mouth from eating donuts! Lastly I stay in constant touch with different groups at the plant none of which support what you wrote on this site. Thanks for the lip service, I need a smoke now!

Decorah, IA

#247 May 19, 2010
The Real Truth YOU SIR ARE FULL OF SHIT,
The Jud comment nailed it,also the folks I
talk to who still work their do not support
your comment real truth,may be you should change
your name to unreal truth,have a nice day because
I will just knowing I no longer have to work at
a dead beat company like clipper romper room
wind power so good riddens fool,I need a smoke
now also.
homer

North Liberty, IA

#248 May 19, 2010
You know something real truth.? What you are saying in you post is so redundant to what other desk squatters have said.Every time an issue comes up,you say clipper is working on it or has fixed it.The problem you have is deign issues mostly that have already been tried by the Europeans who have since shit canned,i.e the gearbox.Clipper's problem is,as soon as you get one hole plugged two more pop up.It will never end,and don't give us any crap about the company being young and still learning.uh oh,I think you need plug the plant manager's hole.
The Real Truth

Decatur, TX

#249 May 20, 2010
It seems so funny to me that people so often forget that the GE 1.5MW took almost 10 years to get where it currently is. It's still heralded as the "industry standard."
homer

North Liberty, IA

#250 May 20, 2010
like i said,REDUNDANCY, read my last two lines moron.
The Real Truth wrote:
It seems so funny to me that people so often forget that the GE 1.5MW took almost 10 years to get where it currently is. It's still heralded as the "industry standard."
Jud

Cedar Rapids, IA

#251 May 21, 2010
Technology is ever changing and evolving, part of evolution is learning from the mistakes others have made and not only improving upon them but to also not make the same mistake or mistakes,case in point Clipper! Clipper never managed to get there one and only prototype in Medicine Bow,Wy operational for any extended period of time before they started slamming them together and selling them. Jim Dehlsen who started Clipper was a so called pioneer in the wind industry was fully aware of all these issues but preseeded to move forward anyway, off course if you research this individual you will see he had ties to Enron through Zond industries who built 1.0 megawatt turbines. They sold out to GE just prior to the scandal, Dehlsen walked away with 400 million, although no criminal investigaton or charges were ever filed. Bottom line is Clipper did and still is selling a failure ridden product, proven to failure years ago and never proven to actually operate by Clipper. Clipper warranties them for 25 years and they generally don't make it 25 weeks,most times not even 25 days without issues and breakdowns. Fact is fact this product is and always will be prone to failure!Research and compare turbine designs, there is a good reason no other company utilizes the same design as Clipper,it simply doesn't work! If you look you will generally see everyone has about the same design coupled with reliability and that my friend is key! Now you know the real truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth itself, Mr Real Truth!

Decorah, IA

#252 May 22, 2010
Hey that unreal truth cat sounds like the manager
from the highway equipment dream team that use to
come over to the gear polishing area in B bay and tryed to act like he new something long story short he never figured it out.And Jud the prototype gearbox came back for rebuild in 08 just like the outher clipper trash it also had many oil leaks,so clipper has not corrected any thing period
thats like the C-93 gearboxes that were assembled
for the test stands those gears were never polished
they also leak oil big time.clippers fix grease the seals that will stop the leaking what a hoax.
Also remember the transfer cases for the test stands and the clipper fix and the strain gages.
Jud

Cedar Rapids, IA

#253 May 22, 2010
Cat lover give everyone a little more background on your last statement. Good stuff just elaborate a little if you would!

Mount Vernon Ohio

#254 May 23, 2010
I agree Jud, hope Cat Lover will provide more details. I would also like to hear from anyone, including Real Truth, whether the gearboxes are still coming back for repair because of stripped gears. I heard that Clipper was going to try to solve this problem by changing the regulation of the generators. That might work if they cut the maximum output of each generator by half. In other words, to abandon the only possible claim they might have to a new kind of wind turbine. If Cohocton Gal is still reading these posts, I hope she will comment on current operations there.
Yep

Brackney, PA

#255 May 23, 2010
Okay, I'm in Cohocton right now, and I have been to every turbine, and I'm not seeing any oil running out of the nacelle. And I know for a fact that Clipper hasn't hired any tower climbers to clean the OUTSIDE of the tower. CohoctonGal, stop making up lies. Get your facts straight before you post on here. And blade work? Where are they doing blade work? Yesterday there was 1 turbine down for a fault, yep I said it, ONE! The rest of the turbines run and they run damn good.

And CohoctonGal, how much did your property tax go down because of the turbines? How much money has the wind farm dumped into your local economy?

Yep, nuff said.
Yep

Brackney, PA

#256 May 23, 2010
And like Real Truth said, I have also spent time both in the plant and in the field. For those of you that got laid off, and say you still talk to people in the plant, well, they don't know what their talking about. Their not out here seeing the progress of the turbines everyday. Everybody wants to talk about the failure rate of Clipper. Does anyone have the failure rate of GE or Vestas after the first five years of their turbine? I believe Vestas has a 3.5 or 4 megawatt prototype that they can't produce because it won't run. Every company has it's problems, even the big dogs.

Mount Vernon Ohio

#257 May 23, 2010
Yep - are any gearboxes failing, and if so, how are they failing? I am not concerned about oil leaks, which can be fixed. I am asking for information on the life of the gears and bearings in the gearbox. Has Clipper reduced the output of any turbines to reduce stresses in the gearbox?

Decorah, IA

#258 May 24, 2010
If the old clipper reduces out put on the gens then
their not a true 2.5 mw my point just another lie.
Jud

Cedar Rapids, IA

#259 May 24, 2010
Clipper would actually reduce the output and still tell the customer they are putting out 2.5 MW, just the type of company you are dealing with here,continually misleading the public!

Mount Vernon Ohio

#260 May 25, 2010
Looks like Yep is actually Nope - No Observations Pertinent to the Experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wind Power Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ontario wind turbine plant to close, hundreds o... Jul 18 stupid 2 allow this 1
News Ontario taxpayers on hook for $25 million over ... Jul 12 more 1
News Wind, power lines named as likely causes of Gat... Jul 3 NPS Failure 5
News A Major Global Foundation Just Pledged $1 Milli... Jun '17 Athenea 1
News Extra-windy March boosts wind, solar power's sh... Jun '17 Solarman 1
News Wind, Solar Power could overpower political win... Jun '17 Solarman 1
News The U.S. hit a wind and solar power milestone i... Jun '17 Solarman 1
More from around the web