Clipper Windpower
CRHawk

Monticello, IL

#221 Feb 9, 2010
Bad07Chevy wrote:
Yes, Clipper could have kept all the workers with little financial loss (compared to all the retrofit projects), however it does not make business sense to have 300 people standing around not doing anything all day.
All of us that still work for Clipper are aware of the design problems and management problems, but I think we like to overlook it, and just be happy that we still have a job.
Two thoughts on this.

Firstly, with the large amount of quality/design issues that were/are occurring, I'm guessing there were plenty of things those people who got laid off could have been doing rather than standing around. I know from my experience there, I could have easily kept 2 or 3 other people busy for 40+ hours a week trying to manage my workload alone. I even suggested this to my boss, but that fell on deaf ears.

Secondly, I disagree that people are looking the other way on the design issues (at least for the most part). A lot of people spent (and are presumably still spending) a lot of time trying to fix all the issues - there were an unbelievable amount of them. I do, however, agree that people look the other way when it comes to management issues for the exact reason you cited. People there are happy to have jobs and many feel they are lucky to have not gotten laid off.

Bear with me here, this is going to be a bit of a stretch for an anology... but statistically it's usually not advantageous to play the lottery. We could sit here and say that anyone who plays the lottery is stupid. However, anyone that has won the lottery before will disagree... cause they're millionaires. It's hard to argue with that.

What I'm getting at is that anyone who still has a job there is obviously more willing to overlook poor management decisions
because, hey, at least they still have a job.

After being laid off, I was offered another job within the company for an increase in pay in a different department. I chose to decline this offer becuase I honestly couldn't see how Clipper could continue to stay open, let alone to actually become profitable and offer longterm security as my employer. If for nothing other than the local economy, I hope I'm wrong... but Clipper won't be successful without vast management changes.
Cat Lover in Cedar Rapids

Decorah, IA

#222 Feb 9, 2010
Not to sound sarcastic CRHAWK but no shit your
kidding me.Their are really management proplems at CLIPPER WIND POWER, AKA ENRON SPIN OFF ,1st Ive heard of that....
Cohocton Gal

Henrietta, NY

#223 Feb 10, 2010
Have you seen the financial news the Dehlsen family dumped thousands of their shares of Clipper stock ion January. Do you think they might know something we all don't? The price was about 16 cents US!

We need good paying tech jobs in the US there is no doubt about that. The wind projects do not bring that. Until our government invests only in US companies we are doomed.

The leaseholders in cohocton once again got paid the minimum payment because the turbines still don't work. They will be starting repairs as soon as the weather breaks on blades and gearboxes for the fourth summer. It's really depressing. Our community was sold a bill of goods by Clipper and First Wind. No one is winning here.

Decorah, IA

#224 Feb 10, 2010
Well said Cohoction Gal our govement also needs
to crack down hard on companies like clipper who
willing violate employement laws,and then lie,truth be known thats probably the reason clipper set up shop in Iowa.
Saw It Coming

Cedar Rapids, IA

#225 Feb 10, 2010
The captain has already jumped ship......
When will the rats?
I am feel better about being laid off when I was, I wonder if those remaining will get severance when the plant shuts down? How about a final paycheck?
CRHawk

Marion, IA

#226 Feb 10, 2010
Cohocton Gal wrote:
Have you seen the financial news the Dehlsen family dumped thousands of their shares of Clipper stock ion January. Do you think they might know something we all don't? The price was about 16 cents US!
If this is true and the company does shut down soon, would he be a candidate for an investigation on insider trading? I don't really know much about laws regarding stocks but that would seem to be the exact kind of thing that could get someone in serious trouble.

Do you have a source for this?

Decorah, IA

#227 Feb 10, 2010
Thats just like me also Saw It Coming,but the way
clipper did it was just plain and simple white trash as to be expected.I liked my severance
package never having to walk through their doors
again.

Since: Nov 09

Mount Vernon Ohio

#228 Feb 10, 2010
Cohocton Gal, here is something interesting. In early January 2010 I was able to download First Wind's Cohocton Fact Sheet. If I remember correctly, it listed how much electrical energy the wind farm had produced to date, how much CO2 it had avoided, etc. The numbers were impressive. Maybe these numbers actually appear elsewhere on the website, but today I cannot find them, and I cannot download the fact sheet. The browser says "stopped" and Adobe says “An error has occurred while trying to use this document.”

http://www.firstwind.com/userfiles/file/facts...

The site is not down. First Wind has apparently removed the fact sheet. I might have printed it out in January, but haven't found it yet. If it does reappear and you happen to see it, it would be good to have your comments.

The website still states "This project delivers enough power for 50,000 Northeast homes."

Decorah, IA

#229 Feb 11, 2010
Heres another true fact about clipper they use to
have open house their for their employees and
family,well long story short clipper had wheel chairs on site for the older folks or disabled I know of at least 2 or 3 employees who were on light duty and clipper showed them the door.Now theirs a legit company want a hoax.
Cohocton Gal

Henrietta, NY

#230 Feb 11, 2010
Moshulu,

Try the http://www.cohoctonwindwatch.org/ site you should find some articles about the total fallacy of any carbon emissions being cut by wind. First Wind has asked the government agencies to keep the production information confidential from the Cohocton project. They tout all this production but are unable to prove it actually is going to the grid. The turbines are under constant repair.

Do any of you know how much electricity is used by the Clipper turbines for the computers, keeping the oil warm etc. when they are not even running?

Again I also ask how many 2.5MW Clippers are actually out there? We have 58 in NY, we can't verify where there are the rest.
WTF

Cedar Rapids, IA

#231 Feb 11, 2010
http://www.clipperwind.com/projects.html
Great point by Cohocton gal

Seems like Clipper is trying to draw attention away from its failures and put it on soon to be failures......

I will post in a few days more info on Clipper sights that are currently using electricity without producing any.....

Anyone feel like helping determine the carbon footprint of one of these turbines?

Decorah, IA

#232 Feb 13, 2010
I see the old clippers getting into the movie
buiness on youtube with the clipper wind power
profile and Kelly Moore with clipper wind profile
I watched them both and I must say clipper as really taken their lies world wide.

Since: Nov 09

Mount Vernon Ohio

#233 Feb 19, 2010
There are some new and interesting comments about the Clipper gearboxes and United Technologies purchase of the company at

http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail...

One commenter mentions this forum.
Livin The Dream US of A

Decorah, IA

#234 Mar 4, 2010
Been their done that clippers a freaking joke,
all you people clipper bashing well you all
are correct,and the people trying to stand up
and defend clipper you most be the ass kissers.
Cohocton Gal

Mount Morris, NY

#235 Mar 4, 2010
In the last week, many of the turbines here have a dark brown ring just under the nacelle and run marks like liquid. Do any of you know if this would be the oil leaking? Also does anyone know if the turbines have the capability of heating the oil?
homer

North Liberty, IA

#236 Mar 4, 2010
my first guess would be hydraulic fluid coming from the brake calipers.is there any loud noises as the turbine yaws.?
Cohocton Gal wrote:
In the last week, many of the turbines here have a dark brown ring just under the nacelle and run marks like liquid. Do any of you know if this would be the oil leaking? Also does anyone know if the turbines have the capability of heating the oil?
Cohocton Gal

Mount Morris, NY

#237 Mar 4, 2010
Many strange noises, when the nacelles are moving there is a moaning noise. We also get metal on metal screeching noise and every so often a loud thunder type noise comes out! There is the usual generator noise we hear all the time.
MeMyselfandI

Cedar Rapids, IA

#238 Mar 4, 2010
The turbines do have an oil heating element that enables them to operate in cold climates. If the oil is leaking out of the turbine nacelle that means that a major failure has occurred. The turbines have splash decks to catch oil, If the oil is overflowing these.......nuff said.

Decorah, IA

#239 Mar 15, 2010
I think its funny seen a story on the CWW site how
UTC booted clippers CEO out the door and put their man in charge.clipper still telling the same old
stories.

Decorah, IA

#240 Mar 27, 2010
I would think with the new health care bill passed clippers already looking for new and more creative ways to screw people out jobs,thats just the way they roll.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wind Power Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Halton Council leader given new city region gre... Fri Halton Canada eh 1
News Researchers project solar power may become chea... May 11 Solarman 1
News Ukraine seeks billion dollar investments to fue... May 10 reevs 1
News Offshore Wind Power Will 'Absolutely Cost Jobs'... May 8 Skeptic 1
News Australian push may open more doors for batteri... May 6 Solarman 1
News More big companies opting for green energy May 6 Solarman 1
News Battery Power Gives Boost to Renewables May 5 Solarman 147
More from around the web