Solar Power No Help During California...

Solar Power No Help During California's Late Peak Winter Hours

There are 3 comments on the Free Republic story from Dec 14, 2013, titled Solar Power No Help During California's Late Peak Winter Hours. In it, Free Republic reports that:

Solar power is popular nowadays as a 'renewable,' non-polluting energy source. It helps California comply with AB32, the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006, which mandates a 25 percent reduction in greenhouse gases in the state by 2020.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Free Republic.

Fun Facts

Huntsville, AL

#1 Dec 14, 2013
Solar power is most effective when used at the source of generation, your roof top.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#2 Dec 14, 2013
I disagree with the claim in this thread. The fact is that lower demand during the DAY (i.e offset by the power generated by solar) means that more emissions and power is available in the late evening (i.e deferred production from fossil fuel, mostly NG plants) and hydro power.

Their is a NET saving in emissions and that is the important point.

Enough of this spin bullshit. Califroniaa is leading the pack in solar energy and this has spinoff to the industrial base. Secondly, having visited California during a 'low smog day' I completely understand their desire for less gasping and choking...

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#3 Dec 15, 2013
"Solar power is popular nowadays as a “renewable,” non-polluting energy source. It helps California comply with AB32, the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006, which mandates a 25 percent reduction in greenhouse gases in the state by 2020."

In truth, it doesn't. Despite the growth of "renewable" power, the GHG emission rate in CA is RISING, not falling. That seems to be because of two factors. First, the unreliability of the renewables causes the back-up power to be generated by faster response but lower efficiency fossil fuel plants. Second, the perverse hourly bid market with subsidies for the unreliables has driven some of the sole scaleable source of low GHG electricity (nuclear) out of the market so that large amount of low GHG power must now be provided with fossil fuels.

Around the world, time after time, those places with low CIPK electricity get it by using significant amounts of nuclear. Those with high (and increasing) CIPK are those pushing the unreliable sources like wind and solar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Solar Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Republican Frontrunners Avoid Climate Change (Nov '15) 19 hr Into The Night 103
News Study: Batteries Aren't Efficient Enough To Sup... 20 hr Solarman 1
News Coalition's 'war on solar' has sector cutting b... Jun 26 Solarman 1
News The push for solar energy takes flight Jun 25 Solarman 1
News Solar power: Is it right for you? Jun 25 Solarman 1
News Solar company leaves trail of unhappy customers... Jun 25 Dying Smoker 2
News IKEA of energy delivers clean, green solar powe... Jun 23 Solarman 1
More from around the web