VA SCC Approves Dominion Purchase of Solar Power

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

The decision by the State Corporation Commission will allow homeowners and small businesses to sell solar-generated electricity to Dominion for five years, and to buy all their electricity from the utility.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
RandomThoughts

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

I like the idea .

Now solar might pay off a little.
WahooPatriot

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

Let's see......buy the power for 15 cents and sell it for 10.5 cents. This sounds like a business model that all deficit loving big government spenders will like. I wonder who will eventually make up the difference?
NOVA

Chantilly, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

Good grief...why should I have to buy energy from Dominion Power that I generate off of the panels on my own home? How about this...I only pay for what I use after I've exceeded the amount of electricity generated off the panels. If I don't use all of whats generated, Dominion can buy what is left over.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2013

Judged:

NOVA wrote:
Good grief...why should I have to buy energy from Dominion Power that I generate off of the panels on my own home? How about this...I only pay for what I use after I've exceeded the amount of electricity generated off the panels. If I don't use all of whats generated, Dominion can buy what is left over.
I think that is how it's supposed to work

"Dominion will pay 15 cents a kilowatt hour for solar-generated electricity. Customers will buy all their electricity from Dominion at an average price of 10.5 cents per kilowatt hour."
Sunshot Solar Shawn

Korea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

Here's the deal. Let's say Thomas Jefferson installs a 5 kW solar pv system this year. He normally spends $1,029/yr on electricity. Next year, he'll still pay $1,029 to Dominion, but Dominion will buy all of the electricity his solar system produces.

That happens to be about 6,584 kWh. Dominion will pay $0.15/kWh so TJ gets a check for $987. So he saved that much in a year and net ended up paying $42 for electricity all year (or $3.50/month).

Now, Dominion is actually only paying $0.04/kWh out of it's own pocket because that's how much Dominion says electricity costs to make (by burning coal, biogas, etc). Who's paying the other $0.11/kWh? The lovely folks who voluntarily choose to pay Dominion EXTRA money for electricity if that electricity is produced by renewable energy (Green Power program). So, Dominion's not REALLY investing anything extra in solar. They're simply paying what they would normally pay to create electricity ($0.04) and then making the Green Power customers pay the extra bit.

Back to TJ. He probably spent about $25,000 on his solar system. Fortunately the Federal gov't will let him count 30% of that against his Federal taxes that he owes. No rebate, just a credit against what he already owes the gov't. Unfortunately, Virginia won't do the same thing. Virginia isn't offering TJ anything for his investment in clean energy.

So, TJ won't pay off that solar system for about 15-16 years. If he lived in North Carolina, he would've gotten a state tax credit worth 35% of the system cost and it would only take 7-8 years to pay off the solar.

The bad news - TJ loves Virginia so he's not moving to North Carolina.

The good news - TJ's solar pv system will pay itself off in 16 years, and all the energy it produces after that will be money in TJ's pocket. And he can count on his system producing at least 80% of it's power 25 years later (because the panel manufacturer warranties that)!

Good job TJ.
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

NOVA wrote:
That's called net-metering, which you can still do (I think). You'll actually get less out of it that way, unless you can find a way to sell the RECs.
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Sunshot Solar Shawn wrote:
Who's paying the other $0.11/kWh? The lovely folks who voluntarily choose to pay Dominion EXTRA money for electricity if that electricity is produced by renewable energy (Green Power program).
That's not correct. The premium paid by people inthe Green Power Program is only a penny or two per kWh. The money comes from regular rate-payers or by selling the RECs (which themselves are bought by rate-payers in one way or another).

Since: Mar 13

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Judged:

NOVA wrote:
As long as you pay for the power capacity you desire, and Dominion only has to pay you adjusted wholesale for the energy you feed into them and you pay adjusted retail for the energy you get back, then you won't be stealing from the other Dominion power customers like me. But if the feed in is credited at retail, you will be a thief.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2021...
Sunshot Solar Shawn

Korea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Here's an article explaining the difference in savings between the Solar Purchase Program (SPP) and Net Metering (NM):

http://sunshotsolar.com/solar-purchase-vs-net...

Cheers.

Since: Mar 13

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2013

Judged:

Shawn shows you how to steal even more from your neighbors. Such a deal, steal even more!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••