Village of Massena may bring back curfew

Village of Massena may bring back curfew

There are 34 comments on the North County Public Radio story from Aug 22, 2012, titled Village of Massena may bring back curfew. In it, North County Public Radio reports that:

The village of Massena is considering whether to revive a 40-year-old curfew. In the past couple of decades, juvenile curfews have been challenged by groups like the American Civil Liberties Union and often failed constitutional tests in the courts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North County Public Radio.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jellybean717

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#1 Aug 23, 2012
Good idea :)
REALLY

Potsdam, NY

#2 Aug 23, 2012
About friggen time!! There buts don't belong on the streets after dark in my opinion, but needless to says alot of the parents just don't care!! SAD!
Jellybean717

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#3 Aug 23, 2012
They should be fined if their kids are caught out after whatever time control them little sh..ts!!
miqhi

Ithaca, NY

#4 Aug 23, 2012
instead of fines make the offenders do public service, they want to be out in public let them do some cleaning up
Stink fist

Ithaca, NY

#5 Aug 23, 2012
Its pretty sad that a curfew has to be put in place because some parents can't / won't do their job.
gamer

Ithaca, NY

#6 Aug 23, 2012
Pretty funny that they are considering making it ok for the kids to be out on the streets if they have a permission slip from their parents....it's the kids of the parents that don't care what they are doing that we have to worry about isn't it? Those parents that don't want the kids in their hair will just sign the slip and the same kids that are out and about right now causing all the problems will be the same ones out there continuing to cause problems with their parental permission slip. What a waste of time for everyone to work hard on trying to curb the crimes being committed at night, then putting that in the rules to protect the criminals. No sense in a curfew if all they have to do is get a slip...and who are the people going to be that has to verify if the signature is really the parent of the child and not another persons? It was a good thought up till that part.
Maybe

Ithaca, NY

#7 Aug 23, 2012
Considering how the police can't handle it and parents cannot control kids, a 40 yr old law should do the trick.
No wonder the county lock up is full. All we do is lock up our problems, let them grow into bigger ones, then the process renews itself.

support local business>support American jobs>more jobs for all>reduction of crime>no need for stupid laws

You cannot regulate human behavior. Making it illegal will only increase the taboo factor. We need real leadership in this town, people who think outside the box instead of desperately scraping the bottom of the box.
Jellybean717

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#8 Aug 23, 2012
miqhi wrote:
instead of fines make the offenders do public service, they want to be out in public let them do some cleaning up
oh I like that good idea!!
loves animals

Ithaca, NY

#9 Aug 23, 2012
gamer wrote:
Pretty funny that they are considering making it ok for the kids to be out on the streets if they have a permission slip from their parents....it's the kids of the parents that don't care what they are doing that we have to worry about isn't it? Those parents that don't want the kids in their hair will just sign the slip and the same kids that are out and about right now causing all the problems will be the same ones out there continuing to cause problems with their parental permission slip. What a waste of time for everyone to work hard on trying to curb the crimes being committed at night, then putting that in the rules to protect the criminals. No sense in a curfew if all they have to do is get a slip...and who are the people going to be that has to verify if the signature is really the parent of the child and not another persons? It was a good thought up till that part.
I couldn't agree with you more!!!
loves animals

Ithaca, NY

#10 Aug 23, 2012
Maybe wrote:
Considering how the police can't handle it and parents cannot control kids, a 40 yr old law should do the trick.
No wonder the county lock up is full. All we do is lock up our problems, let them grow into bigger ones, then the process renews itself.
support local business>support American jobs>more jobs for all>reduction of crime>no need for stupid laws
You cannot regulate human behavior. Making it illegal will only increase the taboo factor. We need real leadership in this town, people who think outside the box instead of desperately scraping the bottom of the box.
Could you explain to me why it is the police's job to take care of everyones kids? They are NOT babysitters! Why would you say "the police can't handle it" There is only so much they can do. It's the parents that need to step up. I really would love to know what you think should be done!
Maybe

Ithaca, NY

#11 Aug 23, 2012
loves animals wrote:
<quoted text>Could you explain to me why it is the police's job to take care of everyones kids? They are NOT babysitters! Why would you say "the police can't handle it" There is only so much they can do. It's the parents that need to step up. I really would love to know what you think should be done!
If you would have read past the first line you would see that I would try to get living wage jobs back in Massena to help the local economy, improve living conditions, and maybe give our kids some home. Support the middle class. Buy locally. The take care of their property. They rent out apartments. They are involved in community matters. Stop supporting China via Walmart.
Obviously if they are considering curfew the police feel like they need help. Of course it is not their job to babysit, I never said that, you are twisting my words.
Everyone like to think more laws and locking people up will fix it but that is a short-term band-aid approach. We need long term planning different from what is happening now because it is not working.
Does that answer your question?
Maybe

Ithaca, NY

#12 Aug 23, 2012
I meant to say "hope" not "home"
Maybe

Ithaca, NY

#13 Aug 23, 2012
Jellybean717 wrote:
<quoted text>
oh I like that good idea!!
why not encourage public service before the violation with some kind of incentive beyond that of helping your fellow man? It's called being proactive.
jeesh

Ithaca, NY

#15 Aug 24, 2012
gamer wrote:
Pretty funny that they are considering making it ok for the kids to be out on the streets if they have a permission slip from their parents....it's the kids of the parents that don't care what they are doing that we have to worry about isn't it? Those parents that don't want the kids in their hair will just sign the slip and the same kids that are out and about right now causing all the problems will be the same ones out there continuing to cause problems with their parental permission slip. What a waste of time for everyone to work hard on trying to curb the crimes being committed at night, then putting that in the rules to protect the criminals. No sense in a curfew if all they have to do is get a slip...and who are the people going to be that has to verify if the signature is really the parent of the child and not another persons? It was a good thought up till that part.
How about the police require parents to come to the station, register their kids' name and the kid has to carry a card with their name, address, parents name and phone #. Then they can be fined-kids and parents too when they think it's just a joke.
geesh

Ithaca, NY

#16 Aug 24, 2012
a curfew is a waste of time those people (your assuming are all kids) doing crimes are going to still be doing crimes wethor or not there is a curfew. They do not respect the law or they think they can get away with it. most kids want to have fun not get into trouble and from what i see they try to meet up with each other. the girls with the boys and vice versa. most are inside before midnight. I know that I always want to know where my child is and who he is with. All children are not criminals and there are plenty of good parents in massena as well.
sad

Lake Placid, NY

#17 Aug 24, 2012
most of these hoodlums on the street after 10pm are over 16.what massena needs to form is a "real" neighborhood watch group,deputize people to walk the street and catch these slimballs red handed.Then we need judges to hand down punishments, NO MORE SLAPS ON THE HAND!!!
ZeeDetective

Georgetown, KY

#18 Aug 24, 2012
Any kid caught after curfew must do community service time. If they can't be busy helping people or doing something productive, then they will be out causing trouble. Simple concept really.
ZeeDetective

Georgetown, KY

#19 Aug 24, 2012
sad wrote:
most of these hoodlums on the street after 10pm are over 16.what massena needs to form is a "real" neighborhood watch group,deputize people to walk the street and catch these slimballs red handed.Then we need judges to hand down punishments, NO MORE SLAPS ON THE HAND!!!
Neighborhood watch is a great idea. That and a little community service to keep them active doing something good for others.
truth

Saranac Lake, NY

#20 Aug 24, 2012
I vote yes! It's about time something is done, yes it is sad that the cops have to do what the parents should be but let's face it most the parents today are to caught up in their own lives and see their children as a tax return
whats really sad

Ithaca, NY

#21 Aug 24, 2012
sad wrote:
most of these hoodlums on the street after 10pm are over 16.what massena needs to form is a "real" neighborhood watch group,deputize people to walk the street and catch these slimballs red handed.Then we need judges to hand down punishments, NO MORE SLAPS ON THE HAND!!!
YOU are the sad one. These kids are under 16? They are children. Not hoodlums. There isn't a hoodlum within 200 miles of Massena. You f-ing scum all you can think about is punishing and they aren't even adults yet. Get a clue for pete's sake, people like you are destroying our country.

Thats all we need are a bunch of half drunk suburban redneck running around with badges. Potential George Zimmermans. LOL "deputize" HAHAHA then form a posse and saddle up I suppose? Lock n load? watch some more movies lol.

Reactive laws won't stop the conditions that lead to kids hanging out having fun on summer nights.

1. Get a f-ing clue and mind your own business and stop peeking out your windows looking for people having more fun than you.

2. Get a f-ing clue and start supporting local and American manufacturing and businesses instead of being supporting Chinese labor via Walmart and so many other retailers.

You people cure the infection by letting it fester until you have chop off the limb.

Why not keep the body healthy to begin with? It takes time and hard work, you folks want to let the burdened justic system do all your hard work for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Renewable Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Coalition's 'war on solar' has sector cutting b... 15 hr Solarman 1
News Marin Clean Energy to cut electricity rates abo... 15 hr Solarman 1
News The push for solar energy takes flight Sat Solarman 1
News Solar power: Is it right for you? Sat Solarman 1
News Solar company leaves trail of unhappy customers... Sat Dying Smoker 2
News Here's where the US nuclear boom turned into a ... Jun 23 BDV 2
News IKEA of energy delivers clean, green solar powe... Jun 23 Solarman 1
More from around the web